Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AdirBlaz

ProjectBrutality or BrutalDoom?

On 7/12/2017 at 8:31 AM, TootsyBowl said:

In BD v21 Mark's bringing back the old Skulltag weapons as well as a pistol (using mostly vanilla sprites, surprisingly), a submachine gun, an AA12, and an axe. Enough content to be interesting but not enough to be overwhelming like PB sometimes is. Anyways, a few more gripes I have with PB:

-The Cyber Bruiser, a variant of the Hell Knight, has a hitscan attack while it spawns in places where there not guaranteed to be cover

-Many weapons use different ammo types, resulting in, say, a shortage of rockets because you keep finding grenades. And the two grenade launchers use different types of ammo!

-Sometimes it goes overboard with the alt-fires. Does the Super Grenade Launcher need six different fire modes?

-Much of the stuff eventually goes unused-I never really used the Sentry Guns, and in Mutators where they give you portable stimpacks I was always carrying 30+ of them around

-Vast majority of the variants are zombies, while all imps just become dark imps in the later levels

Granted you can turn a lot of the stuff off, but complaining is fun.

that's a gripe i have too with pb, or any shooter with too many options to handle comfortably (for me) for that matter. i'm used with the point & shoot simplicity of doom and other classic shooters and going through six !!! fire modes and assorted ammo is too much, especially for fast paced shooters. i tend to stick with one or two modes that come handy and ignore the rest. hence i prefer brutal doom between the 2 choices in the op, but what i normally use is smooth doom, to just make vanilla gameplay more varied.

10 hours ago, TootsyBowl said:

Well, I played Complex Doom. I found it underwhelming.

Also it's kind of stupid that every goddamn zombie has an auto shotgun, a plasma gun, a railgun, or a super shotgun.

I feel like it doesn't feel satisfying when you kill enemies, yeah the zombies have too many weapons. I certainly prefer regular brutal doom.

On 7/13/2017 at 9:47 AM, roadworx said:

aren't there options that let you turn off certain stuff?

Actually yes. There's quite a lot of settings you can enable/disable in PB.

even vanilla BD is too much for my pc now (core 2 quad scrap machine) but I prefer the simplicity of classic JRMYXD arsenal if play BD whenever I felt like it.

None.

I was into the BD craze as well, but soon, I got tired of it. I might play it when I get bored, but I'll stick with the original.

Brutal Doom is about as boring as regular Doom if you start binging. I doubt anyone here could play nothing but vanilla Doom for a month straight and not get bored.

now now, settle down.

I understand some people didn't like BD for obvious yet sensitive reason. but hey, preference is preference.

Spoiler

also, most of mappers spent like months for their map and they test it vanilla way. I didn't see the point of that really.

2 hours ago, TootsyBowl said:

Brutal Doom is about as boring as regular Doom if you start binging. I doubt anyone here could play nothing but vanilla Doom for a month straight and not get bored.

Where do I redeem my prize? Pretty sure a lot of people beat this and even playing 6+ months of vanilla. 

3 hours ago, TootsyBowl said:

I could, hold my beer...*cracks knuckles* ;)

3 hours ago, TootsyBowl said:

I had an absolute blast playing almost nothing but Brutal Doom for maybe 3 months. It was an exhilarating experience, and then I'd had my fill. Vanilla Doom is something I can't imagine myself ever getting bored of. I don't think I've ever been at a point where it felt tired or samey to me. Vanilla Doom is the ultimate in video game comfort food. It's always there for me and it never disappoints. 

6 hours ago, TootsyBowl said:

what? lol i've been playing vanilla for like a year straight and i still love it

55 minutes ago, roadworx said:

what? lol i've been playing vanilla for like a year straight and i still love it

Same here.

It's fine for shits and giggles but I've actually had someone send me a map that they only tested with Brutal Doom. So when I went to review it, I was like, "where's the ammo?" "Oh, BD gives out a lot of ammo so I didn't put much..." -_- I really do prefer that people test vanilla because it's a better representation of how Doom was meant to be played, and that's how must people play custom maps anyway. Like, test with BD and put a footnote that it works well with BD too, but make sure you test vanilla, dammit. 

2 minutes ago, Major Arlene said:

It's fine for shits and giggles but I've actually had someone send me a map that they only tested with Brutal Doom. So when I went to review it, I was like, "where's the ammo?" "Oh, BD gives out a lot of ammo so I didn't put much..." -_- I really do prefer that people test vanilla because it's a better representation of how Doom was meant to be played, and that's how must people play custom maps anyway. Like, test with BD and put a footnote that it works well with BD too, but make sure you test vanilla, dammit. 

... Or specify in the .txt file that it is intended for BD and may not be balanced otherwise. I think Major Arlene is correct in saying that the majority of the community plays without BD/PB.

Just now, 42PercentHealth said:

... Or specify in the .txt file that it is intended for BD and may not be balanced otherwise. I think Major Arlene is correct in saying that the majority of the community plays without BD/PB.

I think it was actually in the text file, but at the time, it didn't occur to me that someone would test only using BD, because every map I had played up until that point was tested vanilla. So I just got the game and the map number and went ahead with it. an oops on my part but still.

Glancing at the text files to see what the requirements are is a must (like my maps all require GZDoom because of the lighting), but I can also understand the assumption that it wouldn't require BD or whatever other mod.  The level author also specifying the requirements clearly and precisely in the text file is also absolutely essential for things to work, though.

Just now, YukiRaven said:

Glancing at the text files to see what the requirements are is a must (like my maps all require GZDoom because of the lighting), but I can also understand the assumption that it wouldn't require BD or whatever other mod.  The level author also specifying the requirements clearly and precisely in the text file is also absolutely essential for things to work, though.

Yeah, source port is pretty essential too, and I usually do look for that. My default tends to be ZDoom and it pretty well covers everything, but that's a different issue than having to load a mod on with a map. IMO if a mod is used it should be written beneath the source port up at the top. Usually if I'm sent a map that has special requirements, the person will send a note along with the link that there's special requirements (i.e. Hey there, here's my map, it requires use of x texture pack, here's the link). Don't think that happened in this case. 

Now, High noon Drifter just launched. Why not play that instead?. 

Whoa there.  There isnt a saw movie coming out until October, no need to impose such masochistic choices.

I was enjoying PB but there are too many weapons and the zombie sound effects are obnoxious. And it also slows down my machine a bit. I do like the the additional monsters though. 

I've been playing standard Brutal Doom V20b lately, and recently tried the v20c patch, it's a much more doom-like experience while still brutally murdering your enemies in the sickest ways imaginable. There is a bug in V20b though, you can walk right through barrels and projectiles will pass through them aswell. I like it how it keeps the vanilla monster and player sound effects and the weapons faithful to Doom. Looking forward to V21, looks like a lot of fun features coming without the ridiculous zombie screaming and shit. Being able to throw zombies in the air and against walls, that looks like mad fun. And I love it how Barons and Hell Knights can cruelly rip and disembowel zombies and lesser demons in half, and basically all the horrid ways enemies can murder the player. that is what I imagine hell to be like ;) Those axe zombies and grenades are looking like a great addition aswell. 

Edited by Hells Kitchen

12 minutes ago, TootsyBowl said:

Maybe we should have a Brutal Doom sub-forum.

lol no

Just now, TootsyBowl said:

Aw come on. We'll keep our circlejerking to ourselves, we promise.

Perhaps mosey on over to the ZDoom forums in that particular case?

8 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Perhaps mosey on over to the ZDoom forums in that particular case?

Don't they hate Brutal Doom even more than you guys?