Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Raheem

Are you a first or second generation Doomer and what makes you proud to be one?

7 minutes ago, everennui said:

I think there's really probably more than two generations of Doom. I think 1st generation is probably 93/~95. Then windows Doom generation. Til about 97. Free Doom until late 98/99. GNU Doom til about 2003. ZDoom till probably 2009. GZDoom to present. These could probably be broken down into more. I'm not an expert in this by any means. These are just a few examples of events that I think should establish a new line on Doom's lineage.

I've been into Doom for quiet some time and played it whenever I could on a 386 around 94. Played it on windows 95. These were just a few times here and there on my uncles pc and he live an hour or so away. I played Doom on the SNES. That was my first copy of it that I owned. Then played a lot of ZDoom LAN in 99/00 til about 2003 when I moved again. My family got our first PC in 99. Doom then went on the back burner while MoH, Q3, Warcraft 2, AoE and Diablo 2 stole the spotlight. But Doom multiplayer was always a go to when there was more than two of us because craptops were our only options. Then I got into Xbox for a while. Didn't play video games for years and then picked up an Xbox 360 shortly after the Xbox One came out. Played quiet a few classic games and then in Feb. 2016 or so I saw someone play Doom with a toaster and thought, oh yeah, Doom!

I'm 31 for 2.75 more hours. I don't know what I am.

That was really insightful to read. Thankyou :)

1 minute ago, MrGlide said:

I was born in 88 and I started playing doom on the Plastation in 96-97, when my mother got it for me as a gift for going through an allergy skin prick test. And preceded to rebuy it for xbox and xbox 360. When I was old enough to afford my own computer, around 2012, I finally got the pc version. I don't know where I land in your spectrum. I also don't know what there is to be proud of either way.

probably between the both...

I'm first generation. What the fuck does it matter? Its a great game and all generations should and will play DOOM for the rest of time.

2 minutes ago, geo said:

all generations should and will play DOOM for the rest of time.

Just got my girlfriend into it so when the Kids are coming we will be a house full of doomers!

3 minutes ago, GreenKat said:

Just got my girlfriend into it so when the Kids are coming we will be a house full of doomers!

Nice, could you offer me some experiences? ;P

5 minutes ago, GreenKat said:

The real Doomguy will come up there in the next generations apparently :D

Just now, GarrettChan said:

Nice, could you offer me some experiences? ;P

Since shes not a gamer she hasn't got a gaming console, so i got her to download steam on her laptop. First game was Serious Sam and she loved it, we finished the game together and boy did i just discover she has more rage issues then i do :D

We just started doom, she likes it but she finds it a little scary so she doesn't play it on her own yet lol!

32 minutes ago, everennui said:

I think there's really probably more than two generations of Doom. I think 1st generation is probably 93/~95. Then windows Doom generation. Til about 97. Free Doom until late 98/99. GNU Doom til about 2003. ZDoom till probably 2009. GZDoom to present. These could probably be broken down into more. I'm not an expert in this by any means. These are just a few examples of events that I think should establish a new line on Doom's lineage.

I've always considered myself a 3rd gen Doomer.   I consider 1st gen as those who were there in '93 and started the whole scene behind the faqs, earliest editors, and earliest levels.   These were your pioneers in a new field.     2nd gen is those who were there in 94 - 95, online and were first Doomers on the pc before trying it on consoles.   They continued the work of the pioneers and introduced refinements to both editors and level design.  3rd gen Doomers were possibly aware of Doom in 93 - 95 but not online at the time.   They could have been introduced to Doom through consoles (I was).   Their introduction to the Doom scene would be through shovelware discs and books on editing.   The 4th and 5th gens would be online from the beginning of their gaming but after Win98 or Win95.   Doomworld, NewDoom, and whatever other news sites existed for Doom.   They most certainly would have been playing before Doom 3's announcement.  Also it seems there was a new gen of Doomers every time a source port was released (especially true with Skulltag and Zdoom) or a new version of Windows.   

- Curmudgeon Alert! -

Modern gamers don't actually appreciate where video games came from except for a few instances. I'm proud to be the first gen, if we're talking in generations, because I can see where games are going AND where they've come from, Doom or otherwise. Being the first gen doesn't prevent me from seeing the future; it gives me access to the past you guys missed out on. I remember when there were countless genres to choose from instead of just two (thanks indie community for bringing that back a little bit). I remember when the NES first came out, and the first issue of Nintendo Power. I remember when video game movie adaptations were a new thing. I remember when you always got a full game, not an unfinished product forcing you to pay extra fees for the rest of the pieces. I remember when game development teams consisted of one to three people, with tech limitations that forced them to be creative and make something no one had ever seen before. The new gen of gamers -- doom or otherwise -- can't generally see or appreciate that, and basically don't care anyway 'cos they're media consumers. They tend to be more concerned with graphics and achievements and play time and youtube channel hits. Again, with a few exceptions here and there -- I was happy to see a young friend of mine who never played the original became fascinated by the entire franchise after playing Doom 4, so with luck there's been a huge retroactive effect thanks to the new game.

Plus I have a sixth sense for initiative and experimentation that you don't get growing up with hand-holding tutorials. I dunno how many modern gamers I've seen try to play a game that didn't tell them they could jump, and failed to pass a simple pit because they weren't told they could jump, or how, and therefore jumping was simply not an option for them. Didn't occur to them to just try the different buttons/combinations themselves.

So yeah, I'll wave the first gen flag even if it makes me an old curmudgeon. I'm not blind to the future or lacking a fresh perspective; I'm steeped in twice the gaming culture.

Edited by Impie

Been playing Doom since '96 when I was 6 years old. Guess that places me somewhere between first and second gen.

Don't know if pride is the right word to use in this context. Though I'm glad I got into the game as a kid, otherwise I might not have had the same appreciation for it. Though I still think the game holds up decades later, I feel that nostalgia is the major reason I keep coming back.       

2 hours ago, GreenKat said:

1 hour ago, GreenKat said:

Since shes not a gamer she hasn't got a gaming console, so i got her to download steam on her laptop. First game was Serious Sam and she loved it, we finished the game together and boy did i just discover she has more rage issues then i do :D

We just started doom, she likes it but she finds it a little scary so she doesn't play it on her own yet lol!

You are so lucky. Never let her go.

Born in 1988 and played the crap out of Doom as a child but with cheats on. What Gen am I? First?

Anyway I'm just proud to be a Doomer because it's amongst the best fps experiences to this day.

Doom has had a major influence in my imagination as a child. My ideas and preferences based around Demonic environments, sci fi, monsters, weapons, music and movies can be linked to Doom one way or another. I'm still impressed by the effort, innovation and result by the id crew.

Well I was born in 1992 and got Doom 2 around 2000 on a CD full of pirated games (hey, it's normal in my country) but I couldn't get past level 3 because of an error. I also got the shareware version of Doom once but then I lost it. I kept remembering it as the "cool" Doom. Anyway, I liked the game and it remained in my memory but I only rediscovered it in 2009 when I really started to like it. So I guess I am somewhat in the middle.

3 hours ago, Piper Maru said:

I was eight years old in 1993 when Doom first took the world by storm, been a fan ever since! So I guess I would be a first generation Doomer. I still have my original copy, plus Doom II, Final Doom, PSX Doom, Doom 64. And I really like Doom 3 and Doom 2016. After all this time Doom has held it's place in my heart.

I used to really like Doom 3 despite its flaws (it and the original Killzone were my favorite shooters at that time) but after I played Doom 2016 it was hard for me to get back into Doom 3. :( The pacing between the two games is really jarring and admittedly I do like and prefer the faster paced action of classic Doom and Doom 2016.

I'll probably give Doom 3 another shot when/if Phobos comes out. I used to have a bunch of mods downloaded for Doom 3 too but I ended up deleting them from my portable HDD. D:

1 hour ago, YukiRaven said:

The more I read this thread, the older I feel XD

The more I read this thread, the more I want to have my girlfriend playing Doom XD

I think it's been three years of Dooming, so probably 2nd gen for me. There's nothing to be proud of though. It's just a game, a good game.

No other game has had an impact on me as Doom did. It struck me right through my heart, while others barely penetrated my skin.

Why do I enjoy this game the most? This old ass game that's older than me, bleagh graphics, 2D objects, flat architecture (as in floor/ceilings and walls are always at 90 degrees), etc. Why? Because it's perfect in terms of balance and fun.

And the community around the game aren't just gamers that chat all day about the game. They're programmers enhancing the engine, mappers bringing out fresh maps, modder creating new mechanics, musicians composing new music for others to use, artists designing new sprites and textures, etc. and everyone's basically active with these things, with a large amount of fresh content being released every year, which gets stockpiled along with all the other stuff in the last 20+ years.

Just when you think you're bored, something new comes up and you're back on your feet again, eager to play.

I guess I am so disconnected to Doom (I mean, not really doing much about it, but I like it) that I wouldn't put myself in any of these generations. Then I remember that I possess the privilege of knowing about Doom community, source ports, having some unreleased maps under my helmet, so I can gladly put myself into the second generation. Born 98, played some as a kid (really misty memory), and rediscovering it two-three years ago when I was still in high school (not anymore yay!), first by playing Doom 3 (which I still love to this day), then going down the line into the past, only Doom version I haven't played was for PS and whatever the other console was. I played the GBA version :D . I don't think I would like to be first-gen because like OP said, really difficult time to get shit done. Mapping is surely 5000x easier to do today than 20 years ago I imagine. Being able to do something in one window prompt today that required out-of-the-world effort to do before surely makes me proud to be second-gen. #team2ndgen

4 hours ago, Nevander said:

You are so lucky. Never let her go.

:) Thankyou sir, i wont 

3 hours ago, TootsyBowl said:

2nd gen. Been playing Doom for about a year. 

Hide contents

I'm still in high school. How late is that?

I was playing doom in High School lol. I used to play it in class, i could bypass the normal security protocols that were designed to stop you from downloading games because they didn't recognise WAD files :D 

2 hours ago, Battle_Kirby said:

only Doom version I haven't played was for PS and whatever the other console was. 

Oh too bad you missed out on that one, it is my favourite till this day.

Add me to the 2nd generation. I was born near the end of 1999.

That makes me a modern gamer, who lived the PS1 era a tiny bit. Normally, I would be an average gamer, that doesn't complain that much for the bullshit games being given to him.

Know that 5 years ago I loved CoD 4 and while I still think it is a good game, I lost interest in it.

However, as more time passed, I got derailed from modern games (that was for the better). I started watching AVGN and other Youtube channels covering older games. And believe it or not, in those older games, I saw the fun I had when I was a child, while playing games. That fun that I never felt again by modern games. 

After that, I started doing research on older games, until today and I always enjoy learning new things about them.

About Doom, as I already have said in the past, I got to know classic Doom games like 3 years ago, after finding Doom 3 on the internet. Since then it is my favourite game, for reasons I described in other threads.

Being in the 2nd generation, I am proud of knowing and playing more good stuff than the average gamer. Now I am able to judge games better, compared to 5 years ago.

And I like being in the 2nd generation for one more reason. I can get to know more things about my favourite game, by asking the 1st generation. Most people in the first generation are way more experienced in Doom than I am, because they did not just read about Doom and learned. They lived with Doom. And that seems great.

Also, @Battle_Kirby GBA Doom Master race!    :D

I guess I'd be grouped into the second generation in terminology here, but I deeply respect the people prior who've taken this game to the heights that have enabled generations to come to enjoy the game. My 57 y.o father used to play a lot of Doom and Doom 2 back in 95' and 96', setting up his own DM servers and whatnot. I've been playing the game myself since I was 3 years old, and most of my Doom time was spent on Doom95. Still went through the phase of liking games like Call of Duty and (insert widely-berated title here idk fill in the blanks i'm sure you can come up with something). Came back to the game through Zandronum and even went through a huge phase of trying to make maps in Hexen format in GZdoombuilder and trying to make megawads on my own, the typical things you'd expect from a novice at the experience.

Anyway I find threads like this interesting, because even about a year ago when I joined DW, there was always this stigma against younger users on the forums that would pop up on threads from time to time and I feel like in 2017, today's age, it's a lot less of an exact divide. I guess this might be in part to updating the forums and the better accessibility, but it's exciting now that people can be more open about when they were raised into Doom. And not to put blame on people who'd feel that way about younger Doomers either, I can't say I really put blame on anyone. To be fair, kids and teens are.... ehhhh, all of you probably regret a lot of things you did on the Internet when you were younger. Maybe you were born into an age that didn't have the internet at all. And even today, it's still not old hat and you can still expect kids to make dumb decisions on communities. But to sum up my thoughts on the manner, and as others have said above, I hope that Doom continues on for several 'generations' for years to come, as it's one of my favorite games of all time. 

3 hours ago, GarrettChan said:

The more I read this thread, the more I want to have my girlfriend playing Doom XD

Since this is my first ever relationship. I've found what could be possibly the most enjoyablel experience in the world - the opportunity to share and partake in your own passions and interests with an individual you love very dearly. Its so awesome when they find there own niche on it and love it for entirely different reasons then your own which makes for amazing conversations and you find out stuff even you were never privy too :) 

3 minutes ago, bioshockfan90 said:

I guess I'd be grouped into the second generation in terminology here, but I deeply respect the people prior who've taken this game to the heights that have enabled generations to come to enjoy the game. My 57 y.o father used to play a lot of Doom and Doom 2 back in 95' and 96', setting up his own DM servers and whatnot. I've been playing the game myself since I was 3 years old, and most of my Doom time was spent on Doom95. Still went through the phase of liking games like Call of Duty and (insert widely-berated title here idk fill in the blanks i'm sure you can come up with something). Came back to the game through Zandronum and even went through a huge phase of trying to make maps in Hexen format in GZdoombuilder and trying to make megawads on my own, the typical things you'd expect from a novice at the experience.

Anyway I find threads like this interesting, because even about a year ago when I joined DW, there was always this stigma against younger users on the forums that would pop up on threads from time to time and I feel like in 2017, today's age, it's a lot less of an exact divide. I guess this might be in part to updating the forums and the better accessibility, but it's exciting now that people can be more open about when they were raised into Doom. And not to put blame on people who'd feel that way about younger Doomers either, I can't say I really put blame on anyone. To be fair, kids and teens are.... ehhhh, all of you probably regret a lot of things you did on the Internet when you were younger. Maybe you were born into an age that didn't have the internet at all. And even today, it's still not old hat and you can still expect kids to make dumb decisions on communities. But to sum up my thoughts on the manner, and as others have said above, I hope that Doom continues on for several 'generations' for years to come, as it's one of my favorite games of all time. 

I see a lot of my own experiences in what you've just said here. Yhea i tend to find that stigma from the older folk on occasion. But most of the old timers are some of the most accepting and tolerate individuals ive had the pleasure to be connected to via community.

Not sure which one i am... I was born in 1993 and saw Doom first when I was like 4 years old maybe. But I know that at that time it didn't seem old and people were still talking about it a lot I believe. Although some were saying that Duke is better since "it has 3D", etc.

More than anything I'm just happy that I was born in the age when computers and smartphones weren't dominating the world yet, so I kinda got to experience some of "normal life" in childhood, whereas nowadays most kids become children of the internet at a very very early age, which could have a negative effect.

I don't fit in either generation. Too young for gen 1 and started playing before gen 2 were born..

Doom and its family are great games but in no way represent all the shit buried in history from the 90s. 

Many of my favorite games emerged in the last 5 years, good games aren't tied to a specific era of time (unless the genre is stagnant or dead, rest in peace rts genre)