Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

Platinum Shell said:

You're copy of Doom 2 is probably an old version; does your MAP:02 have silver bars blocking the sergeant to the left? (in the room that you're looking at at the start of the level)

Mine used to be an old version but then I used this old patcher utility I found somewhere here on Doomworld that bumped it up to the latest; which had the backpack secret.

Oh man! I didn't know there even were versions of Doom II! Damn.

What versions of Doom II are there? The Wiki only lists original Doom versions as far as I know... what differences are there? Which ones were available commercially? Were any patch-only?
Does Doom II use the same exact engine as the first game? So the versions are listed in the Wiki site, they just don't contain any Doom II info? Was 1.666 the first Doom II version?

So many questions q_q

Edit: according to some site 1.666 seems to be the first Doom II version and from there it used the same 1.7, 1.8, 1.9 as the original Doom. What changes were there though? Anything other than the backpack secret?

http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Versions_of_Doom_and_Doom_II#v1.666
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=12482

Versions from 1.666 on include Doom 2 since they share an engine. The unofficial changelog goes more in-depth. There used to be a video series on YouTube that actually showed the changes off, but they seem to have been removed.

Edit: I put some screenshots up here a while back, not as good as video, but still a visual look at some of the changes:

http://tcrf.net/Doom_II:_Hell_on_Earth_(PC)#Maps

Dragonsbrethren said:

http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Versions_of_Doom_and_Doom_II#v1.666
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=12482

Versions from 1.666 on include Doom 2 since they share an engine. The unofficial changelog goes more in-depth. There used to be a video series on YouTube that actually showed the changes off, but they seem to have been removed.

Edit: I put some screenshots up here a while back, not as good as video, but still a visual look at some of the changes:

http://tcrf.net/Doom_II:_Hell_on_Earth_(PC)#Maps

Nice!

I only ever noticed the silver bar change in map02. Pretty sure I've played through both 1.666 and 1.9.

using a chainsaw while standing still will sprint you into the unlucky thing in front of you, demons can in fight in psx doom, The NIN "easter egg" in hell beneath, where the baron of hell/hellknights top part goes after death, doom 64 is a bitch to complete, the ps1 ports of doom are missing around about over 50% of the original games maps, impse, jumping and crouching break the game and final doom never actually had the master levels in it.

It wasn't until I read an article in the Doom Wiki that I noticed that Megaspheres have a Mancubus face on them.

E1M7: Computer Station has a Deathmatch start by the exit switch... and the door that would lead to the rest of the level cannot be opened exit-side!!

BaronOfStuff said:

E1M7: Computer Station has a Deathmatch start by the exit switch... and the door that would lead to the rest of the level cannot be opened exit-side!!

I just checked and this doesn't seem to be the case. I can open the doors just fine...

BaronOfStuff said:

What version of the IWAD are you using and what executable are you using?

Archy said:

What version of the IWAD are you using and what executable are you using?

Registered Doom, v1.2... probably should have mentioned that.

Checking later versions, it has been fixed. Ho-hum. Still quite the oversight on Romero's part.

Fernito said:

It wasn't until I read an article in the Doom Wiki that I noticed that Megaspheres have a Mancubus face on them.

And Invisiblity Spheres have Pain Elemental eyes in.

BaronOfStuff said:

Registered Doom, v1.2... probably should have mentioned that.

Checking later versions, it has been fixed. Ho-hum. Still quite the oversight on Romero's part.

All the wad's from 1.0 to 1.2 I checked have the door function/open properly?

_bruce_ said:

All the wad's from 1.0 to 1.2 I checked have the door function/open properly?

No they don't? The door directly into the room with the actual exit switch can be opened from inside, but the larger one, the one you have to pull a switch to open, can't? That's the one that was fixed?

EDIT: Looks like it was fixed sometime between 1.25 and 1.4 beta.

Urban Space Cowboy said:

No they don't? The door directly into the room with the actual exit switch can be opened from inside, but the larger one, the one you have to pull a switch to open, can't? That's the one that was fixed?

EDIT: Looks like it was fixed sometime between 1.25 and 1.4 beta.

I first understood Baron's post as stating that the door from the exit room leading to the rest of the map can't be opened.
Re-checked and yes until 1.2 you're stuck in the penultimate room until a deathmatch buddy frees you.

Interesting find Baron!

It is quite impossible to get all secrets in the Risen3D demo "Cruel Death", MAP01: There is a walk-over trigger on a 1-sided impassable line.
__

P.S.: I was wrong; Risen3D supports a level of scripting which allows it to use a different kind of trigger, using this line only as kind of proxy. Thanks for the spoiler, Abbs...

Well.

Today I learned that Sector effect 11 (Damage -10 or 20% health and End level) either ignores or switches off the iddqd invulnerability cheat mode. (The yellowed eyes seem to disappear once the first 'hit' of damage is incurred.)

I discovered this first in Chocolate Doom while testing a level and later checked it out in ZDoom, so I don't think it is port specific. I assume it was originally done so that people using God mode could still exit the levels that used this effect.

Especially E1M8. It is indeed necessary to die, to enter Hell. ;)

You can go outside in E1M1 by flicking a switch on the pillar near the staircase, I thought you could only get outside by the wall near the exit.

invictius said:

You can go outside in E1M1 by flicking a switch on the pillar near the staircase, I thought you could only get outside by the wall near the exit.

That switch was added in Ultimate Doom. All the times you played the shareware episode or even registered Doom before the UD update, it wasn't there to be discovered.

Gez said:

That switch was added in Ultimate Doom. All the times you played the shareware episode or even registered Doom before the UD update, it wasn't there to be discovered.

I never knew that. :o

In all honesty, that switch always did seem a bit useless unless you're speedrunning. Usually I just hit it (for reasons beyond my ken - habit, I guess), then proceed with the level like normal.

schwerpunk said:

In all honesty, that switch always did seem a bit useless unless you're speedrunning. Usually I just hit it (for reasons beyond my ken - habit, I guess), then proceed with the level like normal.

I tend to do the same. But also it opens the level up considerably for deathmatch, which I'm pretty sure is why it was added in the first place.

DSPDIEHI was a new feature in Doom 2. This new sound plays when a player takes enough damage to be at -50 health or lower, but doesn't gib. Doom 1.666+ contains this new sound and the code to play it. However, the code checks if the game is Doom or Doom 2 and will only play the sound in Doom 2.

Interesting - always wondered about that high pitched scream since I noticed it first on the PSX if memory serves me right. Later I went back to the PC version of Doom2 and was like... "Ah... it's in here too... could have sworn it wasn't".

The armor passage being a 1.2+ "feature" is pretty amazing since it practically embodies E1M1 for me. I believe the first Doom version I got my hands on was 1.6+ in 96.