Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Revved

DOOM: Annihilation - the new Doom movie

i suppose that the Doom comic, Doom novels, and the 2005 movie are the pinnacle of quality when it comes to "things that has the Doom logo slapped onto it", then. :P

Yo @DooM_RO why are you so angry? If we cut the hostility out, what's left in your message? - Just pure cynicism.

I feel your comments on the scenery / CGI is unwarranted and is built around this internal decision you've made that the movie must be shit regardless of what is actually provided to us; probably based on the same standpoint as the rest of the 'internet mob'.

"Oh no, a female character! How will I defend my masculinity when I watch this?"

"Oh no, it's straight to DVD, this must be a low budget piece of trash."

Again, I'm not saying this movie won't be bad but please just wait until you see the real thing and make your own informed opinion on it before you go flailing your arms and splattering your cynical negativity everywhere. Your preconceived opinion may be proven right or wrong, but till then, hold fire.

1 hour ago, DooM_RO said:

Nice things? It wasn't nice to begin with. What is "nice" about it? The terribad acting? The sci-fi environment that is obviously a rented factory with a bit of paint and smoke in it? The cheap plastic walls with fake-looking blood on them? The generic imp design? What is nice about it? This is a trailer, it is meant to show us some of the best parts of the movie so we will want more.  Why would they show the worst scenes and keep the rest for the full movie? That kinda defeats the purpose of a trailer. 

There's no need to be a fanboy. If it has the "Doom" logo on it then people should expect the best possible product. This is just a cynical move by Universal so they can hold on to the rights and cash in on the release of Doom Eternal using the lowest possible budget. They don't care if the movie is good or bad. 

Geez, chill out man, there's no need to call me a fanboy (if you look back a few pages you'd see I've already stated that after watching the trailer, I'm no longer looking forward to it as I found it very underwhelming, although I will eventually check the final product to make my own mind).

What I meant by that was there would have probably been some sort of interest for making a movie of sorts at some point, but regardless of how it was going to turn out, the reaction was going to be similar, a no-win scenario. Something like:

"Hey, let's make a new Doom movie to fix what the first got wrong."

*movie gets made*

"OMG WHY IS *insert anything you want here* SO SHITTY!!??"

The shit surrounding this movie has reached epic proportions. To quote what someone else said a few pages ago, it's like beating up a dead horse, burning it, and burning the ashes too.

Perhaps it could've been better with a higher budget and better actors, but they tried at least, which is more than can be said for the typical Hollywood movies based on video games. Maybe I chose the wrong word for it ("nice"), couldn't think of anything else, still, I'm pretty sure my point was clear enough.

Even Uwe Boll movies had bigger budgets...I wish Id could get the rights back. Universal obviously doesn't care.

There aren't any figures on what this film's budget is, so where are you getting your information?

Just now, Quasar said:

There aren't any figures on what this film's budget is, so where are you getting your information?

By looking at at the trailer. Everything looks cheap and amateurish. 

49 minutes ago, Rhebiz said:

Is anyone else part of the minority that doesnt care?

Yep.

I'm largely indifferent to the movie.

9 minutes ago, DooM_RO said:

By looking at at the trailer. Everything looks cheap and amateurish. 

13 minutes ago, DooM_RO said:

Even Uwe Boll movies had bigger budgets...I wish Id could get the rights back. Universal obviously doesn't care.

Dude, dude. Calm down. 

Like with much of the angry internet mob, you’re honest-to-god losing your shit over 30 seconds of nothing to the point of outright obsession. Seriously, you’re getting deeply butthurt over the movie’s budget? 

Look, I know it doesn’t look like some kind of MCU-grade spectacle, but it seems to me like they’re working with what they have to try to create something worth watching. Plus, it does seem like the people involved this time have actually played a Doom game, or at least booted one up so that has to count for something. 

I’m honestly not expecting some kind of cinematic masterpiece worthy of the Academy Awards, but I am hopeful that it’s entertaining no matter what, be it genuinely entertaining or the kind of movie that can only be enjoyed with copious amounts of alcohol. 

Based on what we have seen swith the trailer however, it does look to be the latter, and I’m completely ok with that. 

I mean, there are already a ton of bad signs coming right out the gate, but there’s also some good things that were shown as well. Plus it seems like the former more-or-less comes down to a shitty trailer with some incredible marketing tags like “this isn’t a game anymore” (unintentionally bringing back  “this ain’t no game” from the Super Mario Bros. Movie). Seriously, that wouldn’t pass for muster in 1995, let alone 2019. 

Even though I said that those who are working on this movie are actual fans this time, that won’t automatically guarantee that the movie will be excellent or something along those lines. After all, they do say “the road to hell is paved with good intentions.” But at the very least, it does give the movie some kind of a fighting chance. It shows that a movie has some kind of merit because it was at least made from a place of real understanding and respect for the source material, rather than a place of cynicism and corporate mandate. 

To me, the 2005 movie was very much a product of the latter, to the point where The Rock himself had to make damn sure that the BFG was going to make an appearance. 

After the 2005 movie, I pretty much came to accept that not everything Doom-related is going to be some grade-A masterpiece. There are going to be some stinkers, sure, but that’s just a few bump in a much larger road. It’s not like one bad movie is going to automatically kill the franchise stone-dead or just erase the franchise’s legacy just like that. 

Besides, at least we still have Doom Eternal to look forward to. 

1 hour ago, Rhebiz said:

Is anyone else part of the minority that doesnt care?

We should create a seperate thread haha... on second thought scratch that, we would be missing all the stresstalk and drama. 

A separate thread dedicated to discuss the movie rather than repeat the same few criticisms and responses over and over would be cool, in my opinion. Nobody from any of the prior discussed camps is going to convince each other to come over to the other side, that much should be obvious at this point.

My whole attitude for this movie is.... I care too little about it for me to be bothered or angry about it, and i expected too little for me to not be entertained with some thrashy b-movie... but who cares really? is it really worth losing your shit over some low budget direct to video movie?

1 hour ago, Doomkid said:

Worth noting, there are some true defenders who genuinely seem to like what they see - not just saying “it looks good” to confirm their wokeness, but who are honestly craving some B-movie shlock. I can dig this perspective but it seems to be the smallest group of all, based on my extensive perusal (lol) of social media. A lot of people in this very thread seem to fall into this camp actually, but unsurprisingly Doomworld isn’t representative of the mainstream narratives.

This group is bigger if it is just horror movie fans. The majority of them are absolute trash as anything but a "so bad it is good movie", good to watch when bored as comedy. Without this group stuff like the leprechaun movies would end with the very first movie, not have several movies and a prequel. Needless to say these movies either try waaaaay too hard it is hilarious to see them fail, make absolutely no sense yet somehow click.. or are just sleeper hits the public doesn't notice until it gets a cult following and possibly become mainstream in the end. 

Too bad they couldn't get Sam Raimi to direct it. He's great at working with low budgets.

EDIT:

And Bruce Campbell as a wacky Betruger. 

If anyone can make cheese work, it's them.

Well I'm hoping for the best but expecting the worst for this movie.

2 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Things about stuff

I fall into the camp of "It looks like a terrible B movie, but that's what I want it to be because I love those kind of films"

I'ma be real with ya chief, that trailer was some hot garbage.

The uniforms in motion look like tacky airsoft uniforms that have fucking folding breastplates, the action (what little there was) looked limp and was lacking, those out of context voice lines were bad, I'd go so far as to say cringe worthy and don't even get me started on that uninspired music.

If that was the trailer, the teaser, the hype generator then we have serious issues, Universal needs to pull it's shit together because that was bad, if your serious attempt at a trailer got me hyped for the next Uwe Boll style trainwreck then you fucked up son.

Defo seeing it if the quality keeps up, for all the wrong reasons of course.

5 minutes ago, mrthejoshmon said:

don't even get me started on that uninspired music.

That's generic trailer backing music. The sound track for the actual film is still being composed so there's no way that was the actual film OST. Very common to just use a stock track on early release material.

1 hour ago, Man of Doom said:

I’m honestly not expecting some kind of cinematic masterpiece worthy of the Academy Awards, but I am hopeful that it’s entertaining no matter what, be it genuinely entertaining or the kind of movie that can only be enjoyed with copious amounts of alcohol. 

I'm more expecting the latter, tbh. And that's okay. I plan on watching this film armed with a bowl of buttered popcorn and a hefty supply of Jack and Diet Coke. I'll enjoy what nuggets of good there are in the movie, and laugh at the rest.

And @DooM_RO, I concur with the other users: this isn't anything to be so pissed off over. It would be if it were a case of an upcoming Doom game that looked second or third rate, but it isn't. It's a movie made by a second rate studio and a director who has nothing impressive on his resume. It's fine to criticize, but getting so distraught over this is just ridiculous. Either take a chill pill or just change your username to 'DooM_REEEEEE' already.

I just wanna see some demons that are actually from hell, big fucking guns, ultra-violence and heavy metal. That would make a good Doom movie in my opinion. It doesn't even need to feature Doomguy. I would see it like Doom 3 and it's expansions with different nameless protagonists

14 minutes ago, Quasar said:

That's generic trailer backing music. The sound track for the actual film is still being composed so there's no way that was the actual film OST. Very common to just use a stock track on early release material.

That'll explain why it is so bland.

You have one chance to land a good first impression, choosing some generic stock music doesn't sell it as it just feels lazy and cheap, excite me damn it! Music is just as integral to selling a trailer for a film or game as good scenes are.

If the film's music is being composed, then it (along with the other elements) feels rushed to use stock shite, that feeling doesn't instill hope.

-

I ask myself "why do I care?", deep down inside I might actually hope they give a shit and take the criticism of some turbo-loser on a forum for a 20 year old game and make something "good". I feel as @DooM_RO is similar yet more polarized and I respect his passion.

Edited by mrthejoshmon

5 minutes ago, Quasar said:

Similar to how MK11 had some strangle music in its trailer, which will obviously not be present in the final product.

1 hour ago, Quasar said:

A separate thread dedicated to discuss the movie rather than repeat the same few criticisms and responses over and over would be cool, in my opinion.

Problem with that, sir, is that what was already mentioned is bound to be repeated in some capacity in another thread, so it won't do much. It would just enjoy a (temporary) absence of drama and anger.

Honestly, at this point I think all that had to be said was said.

3 minutes ago, mrthejoshmon said:

That'll explain why it is so bland.

You have one chance to land a good first impression, choosing some generic stock music doesn't sell it as it just feels lazy and cheap, excite me damn it! Music is just as integral to selling a trailer for a film or game as good scenes are.

If the film's music is being composed, then it (along with the other elements) feel rushed, that feeling doesn't instill hope.

Dunno. It's one area they're evidently not skimping in. The composer who's working on it isn't a huge name but he has literal *tons* of work and has won an Emmy. I listened to some of his stuff on YouTube.

@Quasar Okay, THAT'S interesting. The fact that they're going with a higher grade composer gives me yet a little more hope for this.

On a similar note, I honestly wonder if the cheaper sound effects we heard in the trailer are slated to be replaced in the film. It's not uncommon for different scenes and sound effects seen in trailers to be altered or replaced in the final product, and the release is still 5-6 months away. It would just seem weird to me that they'd use such old and cheap sound effects to begin with, seeing as it's the first impression their movie makes on the world.

I hope this is as ironically entertaining at least as the 2005 Doom movie. It was sHIT but it was so fucking dumb it was funny and quotable. On a similar note, the protagonists better be named after the Doom bibble characters(I know that's asking too much).