Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DustFalcon85

Doom 64 coming to PC and modern consoles?

Playing Doom 64 on my shitty Intel HD 4000- PC.

Apparently game runs smoothly, 60 FPS (no dropping); supports OpenGL 3+; so don't let the system requirements fool you guys. 

Overall very nice experience. Why Betheda.net is included now, though?

2 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Why Betheda.net is included now, though?

Because just like the other games, playing it unlocks stuff in Doom Eternal.

33 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Why Betheda.net is included now, though?

Damn I was hoping it wouldn't be required in this port. That's unfortunate.

3 minutes ago, Nevander said:

Damn I was hoping it wouldn't be required in this port. That's unfortunate.

No, it's optional. I was just asking.

Is there a reason HUD elements are permanently unfiltered?

Edited by SteelPH

Just beat the Lost Levels campaign, and the whole way through, I thought I was losing my mind as I kept having to stop and scrutinize health items to determine if I was looking at a Medikit or a Berserk, an issue I've never had in the past 23 years. However, after examining the WAD file and comparing the sprites to the unaltered ROM extraction from Doom 64 EX, it turns out that the new modified Red Cross-less Medikit and Stimpack sprites did indeed lose a great deal of their saturation, making them look much more like Berserks in the process.

A side-by-side comparison:
s0aEkh6.png

this is a fucking amazing port, nice job NightDive, my gpu is a bit below the minimum but it still runs fine, haven't noticed any stutter

Someone of Duke4.net stated that the new port is lacking some feature that Doom64 EX had (namely the lack of ingame stats, no vertical look and the lack of crosshair). Is this true? If so, why?

Edited by ReaperAA : fixed the link

Probably to be more faithful to the original game experience, given its an official rerelease. Would certainly like to have a kills/items/secrets counter toggleable though

12 minutes ago, Devalaous said:

Probably to be more faithful to the original game experience, given its an official rerelease. Would certainly like to have a kills/items/secrets counter toggleable though

Of course I too believe that these things should be turned off by default. But I see no reason not to have them as optional features. I personally don't care about the vertical look but I do like using the crosshair and the ingame stats.

Just started playing this -- fun game! I actually bought an N64 and a copy of Doom 64 for it a year or two ago, but the N64 arrived DOA! Really grateful that this PC port was produced.  

1 hour ago, ReaperAA said:

Someone of Duke4.net stated that the new port is lacking some feature that Doom64 EX had (namely the lack of ingame stats, no vertical look and the lack of crosshair). Is this true? If so, why?

Hm? Is that so?

I'm curious about this now too. But fun thing, I forgot the original EX had in-game stats, so much so I never used them :v .

1 hour ago, ReaperAA said:

Vertical look was never going to happen. It introduces sequence breaking and visual issues as the levels (and weirdly the sky) just weren't made with it in mind. As for the others, they just weren't a priority, making an accurate port (and getting Kex3 up to speed on the PS4) was the most necessary step and there wasn't much time for such extras among everything else. 

14 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

As for the others, they just weren't a priority, making an accurate port (and getting Kex3 up to speed on the PS4) was the most necessary step and there wasn't much time for such extras among everything else. 

Future update maybe?

BTW what about a source release?

2 minutes ago, seed said:

BTW what about a source release?

That'd be entirely up to Bethesda. 

What about merely updating Doom64 EX with the corrected game code? Not talking about the extra niceties from the rerelease like updated Kex engine, achievements, Beth.net login, etc., just the gamesim code. Would there be legal obstacles to that?

2 hours ago, Edward850 said:

Vertical look was never going to happen. It introduces sequence breaking and visual issues as the levels (and weirdly the sky) just weren't made with it in mind. As for the others, they just weren't a priority, making an accurate port (and getting Kex3 up to speed on the PS4) was the most necessary step and there wasn't much time for such extras among everything else. 

The bolded requires me to ask: Has John Linneman (Dark1x) of Digital Foundry already contacted you yet? :) This would be right up his alley, considering he covered all Doom versions before and checked out Ion Fury. It would stand to reason that a Doom64 video for either DF or DF Retro would be something he would love to do.

I could ask John himself about that, but i am sure he is A: knows already of this re-release and B: is probably swamped with next-gen console stuff. But i am asking it anyways. ;)

Siding with Gez for the source release. But isn't Strife VE already using Kex code? That got released (At the very least its lightmapper tech did, as that's in ZDRay).

So I tried running the game on an old laptop to see how it performs on that machine and it works well at a lower resolution and plays smoothly enough and the visuals are lovely although I think the turning speed is a little slower than the original which might not be a big deal at the beginning of the game but it might have an effect on later levels at higher difficulties. I'm really just showing my age saying this but using a mouse to turn in Doom 64 just doesn't feel right to me and applying speed to turn doesn't seem to be as fast as the original game where you could turn left and right using either the Dpad or the analogue stick and using the latter was faster like applying speed to turn in the original Doom.

Nice job, Team Nightdive! After 20+ years it's incredible to see an old Doom game have an official release.

9 hours ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Playing Doom 64 on my shitty Intel HD 4000- PC.

Apparently game runs smoothly, 60 FPS (no dropping); supports OpenGL 3+; so don't let the system requirements fool you guys. 

I ran the game on a laptop that has only 32mb of video memory and it ran nicely at a lower resolution using DX11.

I wonder if something is needed to run custom levels on it? I think earlier in this topic it was mentioned that Doom Builder 64 levels should be compatible. Just tried running the Doom 64 EX Community Chest on it (through the steam launch options with -file command) which produced graphical glitches and crashed the game. I know that WAD had graphical swaps for the title, so maybe that is messing things up. Perhaps stripping it from things except for the maps might help!

Edit: Oh and the port looks and runs fantastic on my system. I got it running with the Hori PS4 Doom 64 FPS Pad (through steam big picture), so I am playing with my (patent pending) analog + mouse set up! :D

5 hours ago, Edward850 said:

Vertical look was never going to happen. It introduces sequence breaking

Where exactly can you sequence break with mouselook? The only place that comes to mind is the start of Breakdown but that's not even a big deal since the normal place to fire is just up some stairs.

5 hours ago, Edward850 said:

visual issues as the levels (and weirdly the sky)

What about the skybox option in EX? That resolved that problem. I'm guessing this version doesn't have that option for some reason?

1 hour ago, Immorpher said:

I wonder if something is needed to run custom levels on it? I think earlier in this topic it was mentioned that Doom Builder 64 levels should be compatible.

Try with only the map lumps and textures. If it still doesn't work correctly then try without the textures. If it still doesn't work, someone fibbed.

No source is honestly really freaking disappointing, but I understand it's not entirely in your hands. I can understand the practical purposes (console manufacturers who will fucking stab you to death if you so much as leak the tiniest aspect of how the SDK works) though

I really hope I look like an idiot in a month as it turns out that bethesda has a plan and we get some sort of source that doesn't result in anyone getting stabbed

2 hours ago, Nevander said:

What about the skybox option in EX? That resolved that problem. I'm guessing this version doesn't have that option for some reason?

Looking at the sky here, it should have the option.

I was about to go insane if it did not lol, because skyboxes REALLY add a lot to the atmosphere of this game and look so, so much better than the alternative.

I bought it on Steam, just 5 euros!

I wish we could skip all those intro videos though, I don't want to have to rename the files.

1 minute ago, VGA said:

I bought it on Steam, just 5 euros!

I wish we could skip all those intro videos though, I don't want to have to rename the files.

Launch it with -skipmovies or set g_showintromovie to 0 in the console.

6 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Has John Linneman (Dark1x) of Digital Foundry already contacted you yet?

I talk to him regularly. 

38 minutes ago, SteelPH said:

I think there's some layering problems in the renderer.

It does. This isn't a new problem, it occurred on the N64 too, just not as noticeable due to the lower resolution. 

7 hours ago, Gez said:

What about merely updating Doom64 EX with the corrected game code? Not talking about the extra niceties from the rerelease like updated Kex engine, achievements, Beth.net login, etc., just the gamesim code. Would there be legal obstacles to that?

No idea, given work for hire contracts it sure does raise some questions. However you'd also have to convince Kaiser to do it, and he's already a busy man.