Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doom_marine666

What is your most hated demon in Doom?

hex11 said:

Revenants would be worth going after if you could pickup their homing missile gear, but as it is I'd rather just stir up some shit and leave the other monsters take care of them. Those gangbangers aren't worth wasting any shells on.

You know, I never thought of that. Heat seekers would have been interesting.

Jodwin said:

re all the revenant hate: There's actually a lot of good points about revenants as monsters

Exactly because of all of these "good points", often people end up misusing them. I won't stand here and analyze the open field tactics to use against them, but rather, their misuse.

There's nothing I hate more than having 80 HP in a cramped corridor, opening a door, and getting a revenant rocket to the face and DYING just because the bastard has a split-second reaction time and a ridiculously high amount of damage. Plus, none of the weapons you'd realistically hold in such a scenario can dispatch of it before it fucks you up. That sucks, and has nothing to do with throwing them into a balanced mix or to fill a functionality niche: they simply turn into insta-kill traps more easily than other monsters, and any map doing that goes into "bullshit traps" territory for me.

Perhaps the only positive thing about them is that they make great infighting material, both because you can manipulate their missiles into angering other monsters, and because they can damage pretty badly or even kill many other mid-tier monster (check out nuts.wad: the survivors in the first room are usually an evenly-matched mixture of barons and revenants).

But facing a horde of just revenants with no infighting...not even close, and not very fun either. Plus, they are just abusive in closed spaces, and if you make the mistake of shooting them up close, you'll elicit an instant 80-HP damage response from them. Good luck dodging _that_.

I surely hate the archviles on pwads. Some pwads... abuse of them...

Vios said:

I surely hate the archviles on pwads. Some pwads... abuse of them...

Learn to play the game. AVs are awesome.

I don't hate chaingunners but they can really fuck you up. If you don't notice them you can easily lose a lot of health, especially on -fast. Revenants are annoying but fun to kill, I love 2 shoting them with the rl, it's just so satisfying with their death sounds. Cyberdemons are also a huge pain, when I'm playing a pwad and I hear the cyber alert sound I get pretty scared.

Jodwin said:

Unless a map includes locking the player in a small cage with one of them right up their face, and relying only on SSG stunning (therefore, pure chance) to avoid getting fried ;-)

Jodwin said:

I agree. One of the best monsters in the game. Actually he is my favorite. BUT they can most definitely be used in the most wretched of ways. Trapped in a small room with zero cover, hiding behind a wall so they can't be seen, up on a tall tower in a wide open area. Those are just not fun situations in my opinion. Not impossible really, just not fun. AND when used in those situations his most underrated feature is being neglected.

Well, now serious (I played a wad with 3 stealth archviles surrounding you... Holy crap) I hate cyberdemons. I took 2 months to kill that bastard on single player when I was noob.... REVENGE!!!
EDIT FOR THE PREVIOUS MESSAGE ABOUT AV's: I begin to like them... Funny to kill and to use in master of puppets, for example.

Maes said:

Unless a map includes locking the player in a small cage with [an archvile] right up their face, and relying only on SSG stunning (therefore, pure chance) to avoid getting fried ;-)

It's more fun with the chainsaw.

Maes said:

Unless a map includes locking the player in a small cage with one of them right up their face, and relying only on SSG stunning (therefore, pure chance) to avoid getting fried ;-)

I thought it was taken for granted that the monsters wouldn't be used in a brain dead manner?

I really like it when mappers put revenants in curved corridors where the missile can track you on a curve without hitting the wall, I'm always impressed by that for some reason.

Revenants. There are a few other monsters I hate, like the Chaingunner (after playing a couple maps by someone with a Chaingunner fetish, I didn't like them so much anymore) and Pain Elemental.

DuckReconMajor said:

It's the switch/menu sound dammit. It bugs the hell out of me. That's why I hate the damn things.

I don't ever recall hearing bone cracking within either the menu, or on switch activation. All i hear in the menu and switch noises are industrial impacts, like metal hitting metal.

darkfusion said:

Revenant + Chaingun = Death Revenant :)

I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say problem solved. I've had Revenants blast right through my plasma streams let alone my Chaingun rounds, and probably at about the same rate that Cacodemons chomp through my chainsaw cutting.

As for monsters that I hate most the PE would have to top my list, not because of what they are inherently capable of but because of how mappers tend to use them. If I'm so easily able to rush up to and hug them to death then they really aren't being used correctly. They function far better in open environments with ledges or drop-offs.

Archviles and revenants are both very cool and versatile enemies which often are either improperly used or just overused in PWADs. Pain elementals, on the other hand...I just find them immensely irritating in any situation.

StupidBunny said:

Archviles and revenants are both very cool and versatile enemies which often are either improperly used or just overused in PWADs.

That's why I hate revenants, because there are PWADs that improperly use them. In DooM 2 they're ok.

I like all the demons, because they all die if I shoot them enough.

That's an awesome way to look at it.

I find it funny how people hate archviles because they run fast, set you on fire, and revive the dead monsters. They're much worse in packs, as seen on wads that use a lot of chaingunners, revenants, and archviles like Plutonia and HR. Now, this isn't related to Doom, put imagine this.

This is from a Duke Nukem 3D mod I'm working on, hopefully release it sooner or later, but it's practically with a set of redesigned maps from Doom, Doom 2, and Final Doom. Of course, the mod has archviles, but they're way more deadly. Not only to they run fast, but they jump very high, and can get up close to you in the blink of an eye. To make things worse, they have two forms of attack, a melee attack which uses the reviving monster animation sprite and takes away 70% of your health. The long-range attack however is a doozy. It uses the firecasting spell animation, but instead of bursting you into flames, the archvile launches BFG projectiles which dishes about 120% damage, but thankfully turns enemies within range inside out. Did I forget to mention that archviles in this mod are impervious to the BFG? Have fun. You'll know it when you see it. I hope to realease this mod soon. I used the enemy code of the Protector Drone from Duke Nukem 3D for the archvile.

Glad to see a thread about annoying enemies, since I personally find pain elementals to be the most irritating enemy, especially when in groups.

Well... That hardly sounds like the Archvile. I love the Archvile but your monster sounds like something else that happens to just use the Archvile's sprites.

NiuHaka said:

Well... That hardly sounds like the Archvile. I love the Archvile but your monster sounds like something else that happens to just use the Archvile's sprites.

My version of the archvile isn't intended to behave like the archvile from Doom 2, with the exception of running fast, but it's meant to be a very dangerous enemy.

With -fast, any zombie (zombieman, shotgunner, chaingunner). They just fritter away your health, and due to their low health there is usually a lot of them.

Without -fast, the Archvile. Seriously, I can be flying high (so to speak) in a level, then as soon as an Archvile or 2 appear, I AM flying high. Usually dead. Every fricken time. I've gotten better, but they still usually kill me.