Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DSC

What Is The Worst Multiplayer Map You Have Ever Played In A FPS?

For me, its actually from a Doom 2 wad. There is this extremely small map in Crucified Dreams that is just a lower level  with some stairs that lead up to a platform that just drops down to that lower level again. Yeah, the map is just that tiny loop. Don't ask me how it got in the wad, especially considering some of the absolute behemoths it has.

DM-TrainingDay (Unreal Tournament 2003)

edit: For those who never played the map - it's a completely flat, symmetric figure 8 shaped corridor. I see the idea is to provide a very simple map for new players, but come on...

latest?cb=20190424112659&path-prefix=en

Edited by Tetzlaff

I hope nobody minds me bumping this thread, but I just remembered this gem of a level, 32in24-13 MAP 46.

BadMap2.PNG

26 minutes ago, qdash said:

Official maps - q3dm17(The Longest Yard) and all maps with low gravity.

The Railgun is what ruins dm17.  If players agree not to use the RG it turns into machine gun skills and mid-air rocket fest. We would play it like that back in the day in my country.

41 minutes ago, qdash said:

Official maps - q3dm17(The Longest Yard) and all maps with low gravity.

Excuse me for my ignorance, but weren't thos low-gravity void maps the most well-remembered and acclaimed ones from Q3?

On 6/28/2020 at 4:26 AM, DSC said:

For me, its actually from a Doom 2 wad. There is this extremely small map in Crucified Dreams that is just a lower level  with some stairs that lead up to a platform that just drops down to that lower level again. Yeah, the map is just that tiny loop. Don't ask me how it got in the wad, especially considering some of the absolute behemoths it has.

CruDream is really nice visually and would probably make for some interesting Invasion maps with a few tweaks, but as far as DM goes, it is no fun to play at all unfortunately. Dwango5, even with its sub-Doom2 detail and occasional mega-stinker maps, is still far more enjoyable on the whole. Perfect proof of why putting gameplay first and foremost is always the best way to design your maps.

Certainly not the worst multiplayer map ever made, but man is TF2's Junction a really bad one all around. The map is good looking and detailed especially for its time but overall it's a chokepoint-filled, claustrophobic mess, where explosive classes and engineers completely lock down areas and mobility sucks when there's barely any explosive jumping possible. And the last point is a joke, about 4 m2 large and almost fully enclosed: throw a couple stickies or pipes inside and there's almost nothing the attackers can do about it.

Speaking of TF2, I have played a lot of poorly designed maps but the one that has stuck with me the most is a recreation of the final Sonic vs Shadow fight from Sonic Adventure 2. The level is a long narrow corridor that has no cover and nothing separating the Blu and Red team spawns meaning that if an engineer can place a sentry any enemy who spawns will die instantly. There is no objective meaning you are on that map until a the server time runs out or until you leave the server, the only time I played it the entire Blue team either went spectator or just left the server all together. This map is so bad the author ended up deleting it from Gamebanana and it can only now be downloaded from the Steam Workshop.

Edited by Denim Destroyer

Well, I did "play" (SP, just to look around) the legendary Ths map is godfun!!! just to see if it was so bad. It wasn't good, that's for sure. I don't recall if I FLL FOR LAVa TRIK.

Edit: here's a link to the BSP file.

Edited by Grazza

I can only think of de_kabul_32 and awp_zigzag from my CS days, I know I never, ever liked these maps despite them being loved by so many people. Never understood the appeal.

Kabul is just too annoying to play with regular weapons, to me it's quite obvious that it was designed with snipers in mind first and foremost, the rest of the weapons taking the back seat, and the scale of the level always felt off to me. At least not as much as the original and CSS' Cobblestone, small man in giant land...

Zigzag is a glorified motion sickness simulator, nuff said. All gimmicks type of map.

That one "floating city with low gravity" map in UT'99. I forget its name.

Halo CE had a map called Gephyrophobia which was just a big bridge with ridges on the sides and rooms for each team on the ends of the bridge.

My question is, why do you spawn on the bridge instead of inside? My experience with this shit map is snipers on the ridge spawn killing you from the grand total of 4 possible spawn points you have all game. It is legitimately a shit map because some genius didn't cotton on to the idea of spawning people in the exact same spot in front of people with essentially infinite sniper ammo was a bad idea.

1 hour ago, MFG38 said:

That one "floating city with low gravity" map in UT'99. I forget its name.

DM-Morpheus?

32 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

DM-Morpheus?

Yeah, that's the one.

To the be fair to UT99, even though I'm not an expert on UT, I do know it had a ton of maps. At least one of them had to be worse than the others.

11 hours ago, Maximum Matt said:

I remember Duke Burger from Duke 64 sucking pretty hard in MP

In all fairness, it's a single-player map, so yeah...

That reminds me of playing the Doom shareware maps on deathmatch mode. There was a lot of camping and spamming on the rocket launcher spawn, and often it would take time to find the other players in the larger maps. I remember a guy named "justin bieber" would always join those servers on ZD and talk shit. That made it funny at least.

latest?cb=20191119192037

Aniyah Palace in Modern Warfare. Too big for 6v6 or 10v10, too many dark corners, easy to get spawn trapped. Fuck Aniyah Palace. 

Killbox, it was so awful you could get sniped from anywhere on the map as long as someone got their hands on a crossbow, but somehow still chaotic fun. It was so popular on servers back then. it even got ported to Half-Life 2 Deathmatch at some point, the kind of map that's so bad it's good.

hqdefault.jpg

Bandicam.com !

Edited by sluggard

Anything from Star Wars Battlefront:

Looked like Star Wars

Sounded like Star Wars

Tasted like poo.

An absolutely stunningly looking headless chicken simulator where every gun is virtually the same and every map is a clueless maze.

2 hours ago, Eurisko said:

Anything from Star Wars Battlefront:

Looked like Star Wars

Sounded like Star Wars

Tasted like poo.

An absolutely stunningly looking headless chicken simulator where every gun is virtually the same and every map is a clueless maze.

The original or the 2016 remake?

12 hours ago, Grazza said:

Well, I did "play" (SP, just to look around) the legendary Ths map is godfun!!! just to see if it was so bad. It wasn't good, that's for sure. I don't recall if I FLL FOR LAVa TRIK.

Edit: here's a link to the BSP file.

Yes, I also tried this out of curiosity and it was like a descent into madness...

I'm thinking... maps like Shipment and Nuketown in Call of Duty, and any map in any game comparable.

They're maps that don't really take the deeper elements of gameplay into account, it's just like... "hur hur, eveybody doesn't stand a chance! You will not survive more than 5 minutes!" Whoever thinks these kind of maps up needs a good ass kicking.

Dying repeatedly in a futile, aimless battle is like... taking a bath in lava, it sucks.

Just now, Tetzlaff said:

@Hellektronic: Never played Call of Duty MP, how are these maps set up? Do they include AI controlled bombardments of the whole map?

I haven't played much COD, but I've heard that, at least in the newer entries, almost all the maps are small and three-lane.

Saw mill and 2Fort from TF2 were equally annoying as fuck and enough reason to change to cart mode unless you want to fall asleep or get spawn camped by snipers. 

Edit: I remembered Junction exists. Forget both, Junction and Gravel Pit were way worse!!

Edited by Pegg

In the context of the game, and especially in Versus mode, I'd have to go with MAP02 "The Swamp" from Left 4 Dead 2's Swamp Fever campaign. It's so incredibly flat, frustrating, and boring.