Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DCasali

Valiant is FANTASTIC!

Ancient Aliens I would call just as good, if not better than Valiant. Just as visually striking, and the gameplay is just amazing. The music, all done by Stuart Rynn, has a wonderful texture and feel to it as well. Not as many new monsters, though, but the ones it adds are quite interesting. I would recommend it.

1 minute ago, esselfortium said:

Valiant is great, glad to hear you enjoyed it! Ancient Aliens and Heartland are also by Skillsaw and are similarly brilliant.

Seconding AA and Heartland. Really fantastic stuff. AA is one of my favorites Mr. Casali, hope you enjoy!

Valiant is the quintessential map of the previous decade IMHO. Try Eviternity which is also top tier.

Valiant is great, but I like Ancient Aliens more and you should definitely play it :P
I haven't played skillsaw older stuff, but people also enjoy a lot Vanguard and Lunatic too.

Valiant is fantastic and is my favorite megawad of all time. You will have a blast with AA/heartland if you do play through them.

Fair warning: Heartland requires the eternity engine to be played and wont work on any other ports (not that I'm aware of at least) but honestly, it's worth it :D 

Great to see a classic mapper enjoy works by another classic mapper.

Also shameless plug to denote that Valiant has had a conversion to ZDaemon, for those who play on that. It takes advantage of ZDaemon's unique ACS features.

Have watched them all @DCasali, really, really enjoyable. Also the Plutonia Experiment playthrough was a really enjoyable nostalgic trip. Did my PTSD a world of good to see you trapped and sniped by chaingunners!

Keep up the great work!

Valiant has the best opening and Dead Simple maps I've ever seen.

Infact for me personally those first like 7 maps is one of the most entertaining block of maps in history. 

21 minutes ago, DCasali said:

Is Ancient Aliens as good as Valiant?

YES!

Valiant is certainly the best; i knew it was gonna be unmatchable when i played The Popes of Roam, one of the best levels in valiant IMO. 

1 hour ago, DCasali said:

Paul DeBruyne. I hope he reads these forums because I want to say congratulations directly. 

Yeah, @skillsaw is around.

You'll probably also enjoy Lunatic and Vanguard, two older and smaller projects that are kind of prototypes for Valiant. And yes, Ancient Aliens is excellent.

I'll also echo Eviternity and add both episodes of Back to Saturn X.

23 minutes ago, DCasali said:

I've definitely thought about it. A little busy at the moment, but it's always there at the back of my mind. 

Keep that thought in there. Modern editing tools like Ultimate Doombuilder and Slade3 are very flexible and easy to use. Their nodebuilders are also very fast and reliable, which I know not all nodebuilders in the 90s were.

Further, most Doom sourceports are also 'Limit Removing', so even when making a Vanilla format level you can basically ignore all the static limits to make levels as grand and detailed as you please, without having to deal with visplane overflows, or intercept overflows.

ayy, i'm glad you liked it!! valiant is an absolutely fantastic wad, agreed; imo it's skillsaw's best work, by far. ancient aliens is really good as well, and many people consider it to be even better. i can see you loving that one as well, i highly suggest you check it out!

btw, if map31 was one of your favorites, i can see you really enjoying vanguard. most of it has that same slaughter-but-not-super-hard feel to it, and it's only 13 maps

I definitely second the recommendation of Ancient Aliens, it's still easily in my top five favourite Doom mapsets and a serious contender for my number one spot.  Valiant isn't far behind for me, either.  The gameplay of Ancient Aliens has much in common with Valiant.

Ancient Aliens is definitely worth it. I like Valiant a bit more, but AA isn't far behind. AA does take time to pick up momentum. The first 7 maps are short and share some similar ideas, like in case of map 3 and 4.

Map 8 is where AA really hits its stride and that's where things get epic.

I would also recommend to check out Heartland, which imho is Skillsaw's best work but it does require Eternity Engine to play it.

Edited by ReaperAA

Another Valiant and AA fan. Those two should not really be compared. Valiant is Doom. AA is........ not sure WTF that really is but I loved it.

Can't say which one I like better. Like trying to decide between steak and a good movie.

I had a great time keeping up with each batch of videos released.  Seeing someone who is less familiar with dehacked sets defiantly shows what people who are less familiar with the limitations pick up on.  By the time I finished valiant, I was familiar with the way that dehacked works and was able to figure out how enemies behave much faster than someone who doesn't know the limits of mbf.  I think remembering how players from the outside may look at custom elements is important. 

1 hour ago, Borg said:

Another Valiant and AA fan. Those two should not really be compared.

I disagree, I think being 2 megawads primarily authored by the same person released one year apart are very comparable.  I think Ancient Aliens guest maps help it stick out and stay fresh.  No one can make 32 maps on their own without the player feeling at least slightly burnt out.

I knew it. This was all just part of Valve's great plan to find and hire talented mappers from our community. You won't take Skillsaw away from us you hear me.

Just kidding :D