Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Endless

Known lost WADs of our history?

The Doom bible is inherently cursed. Anyone that tries to do anything with it falls to apathy, boredom, internal team strife, realising the sheer scope and running in fear, etc.

Anyway, this thread found me a wad I was looking for, the lost part of the Wasteland series, so thanks for that guys!

18 minutes ago, Devalaous said:

The Doom bible is inherently cursed. Anyone that tries to do anything with it falls to apathy, boredom, internal team strife, realising the sheer scope and running in fear, etc.

Anyway, this thread found me a wad I was looking for, the lost part of the Wasteland series, so thanks for that guys!

Doom Delta is the closest we got to this. A mapset to go along with it would complete the full Doom Bible experience.

On 10/18/2022 at 8:01 PM, SiFi270 said:

So after the initial post about Plutonia 2 was made, @Diabolución added this link to its wiki page. I thought "oh boy, I bet they'll share it in this thread next!" but I guess not. They said in the page history that the directory wasn't browsable, but unless I'm misunderstanding something I didn't have a problem downloading it all, save for p206bet1.zip being password protected.

The main files seem to be p2b01may and p2l_01, the latter of which is dated three months later and requires p2res07. I haven't done an especially in-depth comparison between the two or the directory's many single map wads, but one thing I noticed is how map06 of the May build crashed Crispy Doom, looked wrong in PrBoom+, and seemed to work as intended in ZDoom with just a little complaining from the console.

password is "enn" minus the quotes

Regarding the Plutonia 2 Beta assets, I wonder how anyone can make a Plutonia 2 Beta Restoration Project where they compiled everything from the Metabolist FTP stuff and made them playable.

On 10/27/2022 at 6:36 AM, Wadmodder Shalton said:

Regarding the Plutonia 2 Beta assets, I wonder how anyone can make a Plutonia 2 Beta Restoration Project where they compiled everything from the Metabolist FTP stuff and made them playable.

Just played some maps from PL2 Beta assest, I found some of these maps are actually pretty fun as well.And many maps are never seen or heard from other sources before. Now I think this idea is great. But now I'm wondering how many wad files should be complied since in many cases one map usually have several versions. Also some maps got scrapped and don't have an exit, don't know whether can we finish such maps.

Edited by Berubaretto

On 10/23/2022 at 10:05 AM, Devalaous said:

Doom Delta: *laughs*

10 hours ago, Berubaretto said:

Just played some maps from PL2 Beta assest, I found some of these maps are actually pretty fun as well.And many maps are never seen or heard from other sources before. Now I think this idea is great. But now I'm wondering how many wad files should be complied since in many cases one map usually have several versions. Also some maps got scrapped and don't have an exit, don't know whether can we finish such maps.

Given that Map 6, 12, 13, 19 and 27 originally were @Metabolist's work that were later polished up for the final release while the others were cut. Out of the 33 maps included in the final release of Plutonia 2 and out of the 2001-2004 beta assets that we have access to thanks to the Wayback Machine, one could do a inspiration and development section on the maps included in the final release and any of the early versions of them included with the 2001-2004 beta assets for the Doom Wiki, so that we could distinguish them from the cut maps.

On 5/3/2022 at 9:11 AM, Dynamo said:

We may never have Doom X, but we do have a beta version of The Last Marine.

TITLEPIC.png.53a06a01235557d543a4fa9d8a235058.png

Some time ago I was talking to @wildweasel about old WADs, when he pointed out that the very first megawad he played was not available on the /idgames archive. The name was "The Last Marine" and very little information about it is available online, and no download link I could find. However, it was available on a PC Gamer cover disk back in 1996-1997, and once tracking down the specific one (Disc 3.4, July 1997, with Curse of Monkey Island on the cover, found on archive.org), weasel found the megawad:

LAST2.ZIP

The text file goes as follow:

No author name is provided, though due to Doom X we know the author is Melvin Flynt, who also created some custom enemies in the late 2000s. He has since gone inactive in 2014 or so. But here are some screenshots of The Last Marine, which began development in 1996 according to Flynt's website:

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot_Doom_20220503_163521.png.89ae0be7196342239f53b70cb66b81be.pngScreenshot_Doom_20220503_163550.png.1924444add6ca0a25b693b625bfce71b.pngScreenshot_Doom_20220503_163637.png.2955052f60bd0a07760901a8038c9928.pngScreenshot_Doom_20220503_163645.png.45bc64c741eca22abb74c2b92da7b24c.pngScreenshot_Doom_20220503_163800.png.5ca18158e55c169b35076f03b157aef3.png

Not bad for 1996-1997. While not finished, it has remained in almost complete obscurity over the years and I think some people here would enjoy rediscovering it. :) Hopefully Flynt will come back one day and finish Doom X as well...

Didn't know that PC Gamer had a copy of this beta version of "The Last Marine" on any of their Demo discs. Currently, out of any of the Doom X material we have, this is the only surviving build of any of the levels of that ambitious ZDoom/GZDoom project we have, and the rest of the beta levels are lost to time.

I have doubts that Melvin Flynt still has any copies of the maps for Doom X. Also, as of today, the official website is officially dead, probably putting a nail in the coffin to this ambitious ZDoom/GZDoom project that never came to fruition. On a side note, the latest comments on the official Doom X website are dated as late as August 2021, making it the last official community replies to the project.

Also, out of the social media channels outside of YouTube for this project had, the official Facebook page is gone, and only the Twitter and Instagram pages survive.

13 hours ago, Berubaretto said:

Most of the maps from the August 2002 beta build are polished up versions of the May 2001 beta build, and the very few left unfinished can be found finished in the 2005 levels.zip

Although Metabolist took down quite a bunch of his maps that he initially compiled into the May 2001 build.

in poor words, the August 2002 build can be patched up making a quite playable build, and also all 32 maps from the 2005 levels.zip can be teamed together as reference for the most up to date revision up until 2005.

I’m already lookin into it for my own fun lol, almost done with the 2002 build.

Only thing I haven’t really looked into is the resource files.

all files to metabolist’s old website are still live on doomworld, only the homepages are replaced with 404 pages lol

Edited by OleBumma

17 hours ago, OleBumma said:

I'm already lookin into it for my own fun lol, almost done with the 2002 build.

Only thing I haven’t really looked into is the resource files.

The file I posted earlier in the thread should have almost all additional resources added up to some point in 2007 (I'll check the exact file date tomorrow), the most notable being flats and a status bar. IIRC the only thing I didn't include is some level music which replaces tracks from the 2002 build.

On 3/24/2022 at 8:46 AM, kmxexii said:

Bob Evans teased having a backup of a bunch of Compuserve files around the time that he uploaded his holy grail ODESSA maps, with specific map names, but he has vanished back into the mist of history. I hope that he is doing well.

Perhaps any of the PWADs exclusively found on CompuServe appeared on any old shareware and coverdisk CD-ROMs, and any older shovelware CD-ROMs like D!ZONE or Demon Gate. I guess only time will tell, unless @Bob Evans can get in contact again.

Here is all the original Plutonia 2 stuff I have (as downloaded from metabolist's site in April 2006):

plutonia2.zip - whole bunch of versions, and some demos (the demos will play back with the correct wads if they are all extracted and my autoloading patterns are used)
plut2.zip - playable wad, made by using the WADINFO.TXT within misc.zip to compile the data from the following two files:
levels.zip
misc.zip

I always felt this project got a raw deal, TBH.

On 10/19/2022 at 10:52 AM, Szymanski said:

I should have some of the PL2 files, and I remember the PL2 guys commenting on how innapropriate the maps were so they may have some scraps

Unfortunately I can't find the resources, they are likely on a zipdisk in a landfill 

On 11/2/2022 at 11:58 PM, Grazza said:

Here is all the original Plutonia 2 stuff I have (as downloaded from metabolist's site in April 2006):

plutonia2.zip - whole bunch of versions, and some demos (the demos will play back with the correct wads if they are all extracted and my autoloading patterns are used)
plut2.zip - playable wad, made by using the WADINFO.TXT within misc.zip to compile the data from the following two files:
levels.zip
misc.zip

I always felt this project got a raw deal, TBH.

Look what we got out of it though. The Plutonia 2 we know of today somehow manages to be shockingly consistent despite its turbulent history, whatever that is ( i dunno where to go for that other than maybe a development thread that may or may not exist).

On 11/6/2022 at 1:00 PM, Szymanski said:

Unfortunately I can't find the resources, they are likely on a zipdisk in a landfill 

21 gun salute for the resource files stuck in the limbo, like this 👾, in waiting to be rescued one day someday 😔

I might pickup map14 from the 2001 build, I haven't made anything large scale since. The entrance area still looks quite good

4 minutes ago, taufan99 said:

I've noticed that the OP hasn't been updated since September 3, but if you read this, could you update the KDiKDiZD part to include the completed final-ish product we now have? ;)

Decided to remove it from the thread since it seems it was never lost at all, just quietly developed for a long time.

A sequel to Cyberdreams, a celebrated and influential early puzzle wad, was in the works for a few years but never released. It was named Insomnia. Details can be found here: http://dense13.com/presage/cyd/main.html with the last update being this from 2001:

The Insomnia project is on a total dormant status, due to several adversities on our professional and personal fields.

So we have decided to make public our decision of stop working on it for a while. Not at all that Insomnia becomes a dead project. Simply our work with Insomnia will cease for some time.

It's unknown how many maps were created for the project. We have two preview screenshots, one of them showing a map with a Cyberdemon surrounded by Archviles - notable because the only enemies in the original Cyberdreams were Cyberdemons (and keens in one map). I'd love to see the completed maps surface at some point, Cyberdreams is my favourite 90s wad by a long shot and I crave more in the same vein. Even if it's incomplete it's a shame the maps were never posted anywhere... to my knowledge.

3 minutes ago, Wadmodder Shalton said:

I wonder if there are any lost WADs that were featured on Doomworld's /newstuff chronicles series that haven't been found anywhere. Time will Tell.

I wouldn't think so, since /newstuff was reviewing things that were uploaded to the idgames archive. (At least, unless someone actively requested to have their wads removed from idgames...)

Nick Baker's Doom Beastiary, an old website made by @NiGHTMARE for custom monster designs which predates Realm667's repository by a few years. As far as I know, many of these custom monsters never got made beyond a single image.

Categories included:

Marines

Caco Creatures

Cyber Creatures

Imps

Demons

Hell Nobles

Misc. Undead

Zombies

Silly Stuff

Hopefully one with actual experience with sprite development can recreate these old custom monster designs that were never used in any PWADs that I know of.

Oh and also, try getting all the files downloadable from The Epidermis Emporium and upload them on Internet Archive in case that website closes down (which has never been updated since October 2004), like what @northivanastan did with B.P.R.D's PWADs that never made it to the idgames Archive.

On 10/22/2022 at 9:05 PM, Devalaous said:

I've always wondered how a fan film or brickfilm interpretation of The Doom Bible would've been like as to make it close to the original planned storyline of Doom's development.

Hi all, I've started going through my Doom folders to see if I have anything missing from /idgames, and have so far found a whole bunch of DM wads and a few SP wads from 1996-2002 which I've just uploaded. Interestingly some of these mention having been uploaded to cdrom.com, but I couldn't find them on /idgames (at least not with filename, title, or author searches). I may find more missing wads when I have a chance to look through stuff from 2003 onwards :)

List & screenshots:

DM:

CRISIS

DGDM4

FRAG4UEX

HAZARD4

MORDY

PLASDM2

PRWRVOID

VEDA3

XS2

SP:

HYENA_WK

LABYRINTH (not the same as the existing wad of the same name)

MOUNTAIN

RELLIK

STEEL

E3Jt9cp.png

I've also found a couple of missing wads from still active Doomers: @Jayextee's Murderous Intent DM and UACmap01 and @pcorf 's ONE WAY. I've uploaded these to Media Fire in case the authors don't want them on /idgames for whatever reason.

17 minutes ago, Endless said:

@NiGHTMARE thanks a lot for the preservation efforts! Are those WADs now available on /idgames then? Interested in testing out the SP ones.

They're in /incoming at the moment. I forgot to check whether they all follow the standard txt file template, so some could end up being rejected if they don't (if this happens I'll re-upload, leaving the original txt intact in the .zip, but upload an external template version).