• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mordeth

Doom Pictures Thread 2023

2 hours ago, Bri said:

Screenshot-Hexen-20230429-224825.png
Screenshot-Hexen-20230425-225036.png

I love the shading and lighting in these, but all the shots show excellent work here. That's quite a talent to have. There are amazing maps out there, but what benefits a map greatly in my eye is good shading and careful lighting.

You are pulling that off right here.

12 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

I love the shading and lighting in these, but all the shots show excellent work here. That's quite a talent to have. There are amazing maps out there, but what benefits a map greatly in my eye is good shading and careful lighting.

You are pulling that off right here.

Thanks so much

23 hours ago, Kain D. said:

The yellow skull key is somewhere hidden in here. Are you able to find it?

map04b.jpg

Ah, a new KainD WAD in making. Will keep watching ...

On 4/27/2023 at 9:39 AM, Pechudin said:

Striking color contrast! Feels western-y. But in a post-apocalyptic way.

This one has the feel!

2 hours ago, RjY said:

Indeed, I had a sentence doubting it was invented by the dwango5 compilers but had edited it out because it seemed churlish :).

Anyway I have looked into this a bit more and now my best guess as to the original source of the starry sky texture is CHURCH of DOOM ][ by Virgil Itliong (CHURCH.WAD). [1]

The previous trick on a different, larger data set uncovered a significant number of new matches. (I confess I did not run this myself, but cheated a bit by using the wad-archive.com database dumps...) Of these, correlating with wads on /idgames, church.wad was the oldest that contained the texture, and the only one from there that predates dwango5. Several sources e.g. doom2.net [2] give its date as 1995-07-19, so at 1995-05-23 church.wad is two months its senior. But still a contemporary, likely in current circulation, known to dwango5's compilers during its construction.

Nonetheless a date connection is still fairly circumstantial. But perhaps we can find some corroboration in the matching wads' text files. One, Runes of Despair [3] amusingly credited "whoever made the sky texture", but most were silent -- until eventually I saw Countermeasure (CNTR101.WAD) [4] which explicitly credits "Virgil Itliong, for the sky texture from his well-designed CHURCH.WAD".

So until further evidence comes to light I am going to finger CHURCH.WAD as the original source.

Amazing detective work! Now do the same for my countless other assets going into my new work which I've carelessly gathered without making note of source ;)