Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mordeth

Doom Pictures Thread 2023

42 minutes ago, fruity lerlups said:

because you want to make a doom map with doom gameplay and assets and physics but with more expanded geometry?

I love like seeing absolutely gorgeous stuff made within the limits of the original engine's geometry but like also like stuff like Infested where an expanded geometry is used to recontextualize doom's sandbox.

Are you really saying you'd be opposed to like Prey portals, Serious Sam style gravity nonsense, non euclidean geometry combined with some clever classic doom combat?

Otoh, it is still way cooler to achieve the "how the hell did they do that" effect with the original geometry's limitations.

I don't think you understand the context of my post. The person I was responding to was basically asking "why limit yourself?" My response to which is "why even map for Doom then?" The simple truth is that many mappers know they are limiting themselves when they choose to target Boom compatibility or Vanilla compatibility whether its because they like the limits or want to target the widest range of players and source ports possible. I am not opposed to more complex features at all, but I do think its ridiculous to question why someone would choose a more limited format when they are choosing to map for Doom, a 30 year old game, in the first place.

I know I wasn't asked, but personally, I'm mapping for Doom because I like mapping for Doom. I don't care about mapping for some other game. (Though when I was a kid I really wanted a Doom-style map editor for THPS, but that's neither here nor there...) If I can do more advanced geometry, lighting, layouts, etc., within the familiar context of Doom mapping, I'm happy with that, even if some people think it's pointless or misplaced effort or whatever.

4 minutes ago, Egg Boy said:

I am not opposed to more complex features at all, but I do think its ridiculous to question why someone would choose a more limited format when they are choosing to map for Doom, a 30 year old game, in the first place.

ohh yeah i see sorry, i mean at that point its missing the whole point of boom compatible maps anyway.

also there's a point to be made about consistent expectations, people want to play a map with the same expectations that itll function with the engine limits theyre used to, i find myself disliking when a map employs ACS type stuff because it like goes against my expectations of how a map should progress.

3 minutes ago, esselfortium said:

I know I wasn't asked, but personally, I'm mapping for Doom because I like mapping for Doom. I don't care about mapping for some other game. (Though when I was a kid I really wanted a Doom-style map editor for THPS, but that's neither here nor there...) If I can do more advanced geometry, lighting, layouts, etc., within the familiar context of Doom mapping, I'm happy with that, even if some people think it's pointless or misplaced effort or whatever.

Right, this thread is getting super off topic and should probably be split, but I don't think there's anything wrong with using advanced formats, that's not what I was commenting on originally. No one here is saying its "pointless or misplaced" the crux of the discussion was about Dragonfly being asked why he doesn't just use GZDoom if he's going to make fake Boom slopes.

at the end of the day tho, as a consumer of you talented people's art, I greatly appreciate that you are committed to this engine and its limits, so for what its worth, I want people to keep making boom compatible type stuff. I dont really play any other type of doom mods anyway, unless its Rise of the Woolball.

7 minutes ago, esselfortium said:

(Though when I was a kid I really wanted a Doom-style map editor for THPS, but that's neither here nor there...)

Nice to know I wasn't alone! It was cool that they had the built-in park editors but they didn't quite scratch that itch.

1 hour ago, Egg Boy said:

Right, this thread is getting super off topic and should probably be split, but I don't think there's anything wrong with using advanced formats, that's not what I was commenting on originally. No one here is saying its "pointless or misplaced" the crux of the discussion was about Dragonfly being asked why he doesn't just use GZDoom if he's going to make fake Boom slopes.

Fair, though it's also worth noting that what we now think of as the "standard Boom compat featureset" was very much an advanced format and a moving target while Boom was still being actively developed, and only (mostly) stopped moving for a time because no one took up the helm to really push it forward much for a while after the original development team moved on, roughly until MBF21 happened a few years ago. (Though I also fully understand that a lot of mappers have come to appreciate the useful intersection of power and simplicity that Boom and 'Boom-plus' compatibilities provide as they are now.)

28 minutes ago, esselfortium said:

Fair, though it's also worth noting that what we now think of as the "standard Boom compat featureset" was very much an advanced format and a moving target while Boom was still being actively developed, and only (mostly) stopped moving for a time because no one took up the helm to really push it forward much for a while after the original development team moved on, roughly until MBF21 happened a few years ago. (Though I also fully understand that a lot of mappers have come to appreciate the useful intersection of power and simplicity that Boom and 'Boom-plus' compatibilities provide as they are now.)

of course, we could simply replace boom with vanilla. Q: Why make midtexture slopes when GZDoom exists? A: because midtexture slopes are badass.

Just now, Egg Boy said:

of course, we could simply replace boom with vanilla. Q: Why make midtexture slopes when GZDoom exists? A: because midtexture slopes are badass.

Vanilla mapping is so 2013, Eggboy. Get with the times and (my) current preferences!

It's a bit silly to draw lines in the sand of what is and isn't "doom-y" enough when we're talking about features in source ports that have already deviated from the original engine. Also when 30 years of mapping has been going on, what even is "non-doom-y" anymore? At worst something may be "boom-y" or "zdoom-y," but that's a distinction that loses its meaning as you see more and more maps that have been made over the years. Dsda-doom≠vanilla and that's a good thing. Slopes are gud, fake slopes that use 129 visplanes are gud too. Both have slightly different aesthetics, one looking more clean while the other manifesting feelings of nostalgia over more blocky times.

Oh course to say "it's a bit silly" is also not to say it's not an interesting discussion on a pedantic issue!

4 minutes ago, DoomGappy said:

what the hell is going on

Doom pictures, obviously

15 hours ago, Fonze said:

Oh course to say "it's a bit silly" is also not to say it's not an interesting discussion on a pedantic issue!

Yummy words with pointless meanings, give me all ononononon  ͡ಠ ͜ʖ ͡ಠ

22 hours ago, esselfortium said:

Vanilla mapping is so 2013, Eggboy. Get with the times and (my) current preferences!

look ive just got one question..

is this compatible with br-

A shame that image has such extreme JPEG artifacting... the map looks incredible but the quality makes it hard to see the details!

That said, it does give off a slight "old gaming magazine" feel which is kinda cool, heh.

17 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

A shame that image has such extreme JPEG artifacting... the map looks incredible but the quality makes it hard to see the details!

That said, it does give off a slight "old gaming magazine" feel which is kinda cool, heh.

Yeah, I am getting handcuffed by the 20KB upload limit -- but I'm certain the artifacts are undoubtedly hiding some gross texture mis-alignment, so it's probably for the best...

3 hours ago, Lutz said:

Yeah, I am getting handcuffed by the 20KB upload limit -- but I'm certain the artifacts are undoubtedly hiding some gross texture mis-alignment, so it's probably for the best...

You might have better luck uploading the image to a third party image host then inserting the image from that URL. This can be achieved via clicking the "Insert other media" box, found at the bottom of the message field, then clicking "Insert image from URL." When I was more active this method proved to be much easier than trying to work around Doomworld's image size limitations.

Someday I'll try to make maps for a 3D platforming game, but I can't deny mapping for Doom is addictive as fuck, it was one of my childhood dreams (also, I lost hours playing with the park editor in THPS2 too lol)

On 12/20/2023 at 7:29 PM, Lutz said:

For me, it says 25 MB...

On 12/20/2023 at 5:29 PM, Lutz said:

Yeah, I am getting handcuffed by the 20KB upload limit

You can just upload it on imgur and embed it here.

1 hour ago, Grieferus said:

For me, it says 25 MB...

Each time you attach something to a post, it eats into your total upload limit. Eventually you reach 0. Unless you go to https://www.doomworld.com/attachments/ and delete some stuff, of course.

That's why it's better to upload images to something that's not limited, like imgur or postimg.