Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ludi

[IDGAMES!] Afternoon - a boom-compatible project

Playing through this right now. Really lovely wad with cool graphics, even tho i'm not really the biggest fan of the palette when you take damage, prefer the base one. Also I really really love the midis. I stopped playing through map03 just to listen to the soundtrack whole and map09's midi is just wonderful.

Thank you! I'm honestly thinking about using the regular palette for rc2, but I could go either way.

FYI for potential players, since it's not anywhere in the OP/txt: this WAD uses MAPINFO and UMAPINFO for all of its music and interpics, so play in a supporting port if you want the intended experience.

Great WAD, wonderful aesthetics on the whole (I recall shades of Plutonia, AV, Speed of Doom + Darkwave standalone maps, and Scythe) and paced quite well. Yumheart's map is mean (as per their usual), rd's map is an essential play for anyone who likes any of the big clusterfuck style Darkwave maps (and Korp killed it with the midi that this map uses), finnks' redux of Piss Valley is a great exercise in reusing a single space over and over in increasingly threatening ways, and I love any and all maps that are built out of making sector art. Everyone delivered very well in this WAD, and the Thanks For Playing map is super comfy. The COL1* sprite replacements are adorable.

FDAs for all maps, -dsdademo format, play back in v0.26.2 - afternoon_maribo.zip

Thanks Maribo! I'll put the UMAPINFO and MAPINFO lumps in the OP.

image.png

I realized I totally forgot the new colored menu text. Whoops!

It'll be present in RC2.

such a wonderful mapset, the maps are very fun and smooth to blast though. and the difficulty is a good challenge! i had alot of fun playing it.
the map names are on point too heh~ x3c

the music is great! i will definity get them to hear on my midi playlists. you all did a really good job!

Lovely mapset. Had a blast playing through it on HMP. Haven't finish the wad yet (I left my playthrough at map06), but i wanted to comment on it because this its really fun stuff. A friendly reminder of how stock doom textures plus speedmapping can have huge potential for creative focus on small maps with fun themes. I'll like to also point out that @Korp did an excellent job for the ost. I can tell that this mapset wouldn't be the same without all these tracks. 

I encouraged goofy map names, I think doing something weird is more fun than trying to force a pun. "MAP05: God Loves Fentanyl" is my favorite and I'll never top it.

2 hours ago, NoisyVelvet said:

Apparently there's a Map15 in this ( sector art <3 ).  Gave it a go, for what it's worth.  This might be fun to properly beat later.

noisy_afternoon_rc1_m15.zip

Looks like ya found the secret :D

Afternoon is officially on /idgames!

Thanks to everyone who played and the crew for making this possible <3

I've gotta say, the difficulty curve on this wad is really something - MAP01 is pretty much your standard IWAD fare, while by MAP08 I felt like a mini-Decino playing a mini-Italo Doom XD

Anyway, the maps are great on their own (especially from MAP06 onwards - like I said don't be fooled by the easy start lol), but the real MVP here is the soundtrack - my compliments to the chef because there's really some absurd bangers in there. My favorites are Cavehouse, Shoot the Boykisser and Egypcia, also I'm a huge fan of how the menu music is synced with the moment the credits card shows up (honestly more wads should do something like that)!

Edited by sq. Tiramisu

Made this music video for my favorite track in the wad. Shoutouts to those credited :)

Recorded on a real SC-55!

Edited by Ludi

Hey folks, I'm currently going for a UV max playthrough of this wad. Great stuff, really enjoying the diversity and the soundtrack. Though you might want to know that in map 6, it's possible to enter the yellow door without having the yellow keycard. I assume this was a bug?

10 hours ago, DreadWanderer said:

Hey folks, I'm currently going for a UV max playthrough of this wad. Great stuff, really enjoying the diversity and the soundtrack. Though you might want to know that in map 6, it's possible to enter the yellow door without having the yellow keycard. I assume this was a bug?

Yeah I realized that a couple days ago. I see no reason to change the map, though, I'll leave that as a secret for players who try those things :^)

1 hour ago, Ludi said:

Yeah I realized that a couple days ago. I see no reason to change the map, though, I'll leave that as a secret for players who try those things :^)

Fair enough, I didn't use this shortcut since I'm UV maxing anyway. Will post here when I complete my playthrough :)

I played the first 5 levels the other day and had a blast with this :) And the music really rocks, amazing work @Korp! :D

I have a FDA of the first 5 maps (I died at the beginning of the 6th) in case anyone is interested xD 

I'm really happy that this project is getting a new lease on life, thank you all for the kind words!