Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellblazer

Doom Year Zero coming from Bethesda

According to a legitimate FTC document from three years ago that was leaked recently, Doom Year Zero is part of Bethesda's schedule of games to be released in the near future.

Bethesda-leaked-games-release-schedule.p

Not sure if this is the Eternal sequel id Software's supposedly working on or an entirely different game.

This is worth noting, on top of the fact that the graphic being passed around is from 2020:

Given the title of “Doom: Year Zero” (as well as rumors of id Software working on id Tech 8), I have a sneaking suspicion that this won’t actually be id’s next big title.

If anything, I suspect that this might be kind of retro throwback to celebrate the franchise’s 30th anniversary, akin to something like WH40K: Boltgun.

19 minutes ago, Mr. Freeze said:

Leaks are always bullshit fodder. I'll believe it when it gets announced. 

2 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

Once again we have a "leak" that looks like something I could've made in PhotoShop in about twenty minutes.

This is from poorly-redacted court documents filed in the Microsoft vs. FTC case, rather than some dickhead kid whose uncle works for Nintendo. That being said, though, it's also from mid-2020 before the Zenimax acquisition and before COVID threw wrenches into every gear possible (Hence Starfield being listed as FY21 - it's been publicly acknowledged that development on that game was slooooowed down a ton during remote-work), so some things may or may not pan out.

That being said, some of the details track. A few of these codenames have snuck out in the past. "Project Hibiki" has since been released as Hi-Fi Rush by Tango, and "Project Kestrel" has been kicked about as being tied to Zenimax Online Studios.

Anyway, where was I? Ah, yes,

h6AwPHk.png

13 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

Once again we have a "leak" that looks like something I could've made in PhotoShop in about twenty minutes.

To be fair internal documents often look like that as well

about time doom 2016 got a sequel hot damn its been 7 years. but from the name i dont have much faith in it, doomguy fighting and/or being jesus seems a little questionable

If "Doom: Year Zero" turns out to be real, then it sounds like Id Software might be rebooting Doom once more. :S

17 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

If "Doom: Year Zero" turns out to be real, then it sounds like Id Software might be rebooting Doom once more. :S

JFC I hope not!!

I hope it's not a Cash-Grab

since Eternal last DLC already end the story

so if they intend to make a second sequels they shouldn't sealed doomguy

or maybe it's a prequel since supposedly it's call Year Zero

Unless it is a deliberate throwback to Doom's roots done in glorious pixel art and MIDI music.

I could get behind that, especially if it involves a smaller team and avoids the bloat of the latest entries.

3 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

Unless it is a deliberate throwback to Doom's roots done in glorious pixel art and MIDI music.

I could get behind that, especially if it involves a smaller team and avoids the bloat of the latest entries.

That would be awesome, but I'm not counting on it.

9 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

Effectively 0% chance of such a thing happening. 2023 id is nowhere near the same as 90s id.

Why would you want a remake with MIDI music and sprite graphics when the community here already makes content for free? 

31 minutes ago, fai1025 said:

I hope it's not a Cash-Grab

since Eternal last DLC already end the story

so if they intend to make a second sequels they shouldn't sealed doomguy

or maybe it's a prequel since supposedly it's call Year Zero

Might as well nip this in the bud right here:

Doom Eternal (and The Ancient Gods) was meant to conclude the story arc which began with Doom 2016; it wasn’t necessarily meant to be the grand finale for the entire franchise (and yes, this was confirmed as such by Hugo Martin himself).

That said, if Year Zero does end up being a continuation of the Doom Slayer’s story, it’s likely that it’ll be nuDoom’s End of Evangelion (in that it’s an unplanned conclusion that works to wrap up the loose ends which caused a ton of fan backlash).

10 minutes ago, Doom64hunter said:

Even without Covid, Starfield in 2021 seems way too early.

Not to mention TES VI in 2024.

This document was likely made in late 2019/early 2020, long before the Microsoft acquisition and possibly before COVID-19 threw a wrench into every imaginable plan.

Edited by Man of Doom

The hell is next, a Console Doom port but officially remastered? Sorry, but it's about as likely as a new Doom game to be suddenly released out of nowhere. I mean, the only developers I know that did a surprise release of anything like that was Valve with Half-Life Alyx and Toby Fox with DELTARUNE Chapter 2. Bethesda likes to build up hype a lot more so no, I severely doubt we're gonna get anything new and/or exciting at all this year except for maybe SIGIL 2.

8 minutes ago, Roebloz said:

The hell is next, a Console Doom port but officially remastered?

YES! THAT!

Doom 64, Saturn Quake, Quake II 64 and soon Playstation Quake II all got ported to the PC, so I would gladly pay for an official Playstation Doom port.

That is, as long as Id Software does not start clamping down on fan ports/recreations.

36 minutes ago, Mr. Freeze said:

Why would you want a remake with MIDI music and sprite graphics when the community here already makes content for free?

It is not necessarily that I want it so much as I can see it as a possibility with a name like "Doom: Year Zero".

That or a demon-less prequel that works as a very loose reimagining of the original Doom backstory (i.e. Doomguy violently rebelling against a superior).

2 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

YES! THAT!

Doom 64, Saturn Quake, Quake II 64 and soon Playstation Quake II all got ported to the PC, so I would gladly pay for an official Playstation Doom port.

That is, as long as Id Software does not start clamping down on fan ports/recreations.

It is not necessarily that I want it so much as I can see it as a possibility with a name like "Doom: Year Zero".

That or a demon-less prequel that works as a very loose reimagining of the original Doom backstory (i.e. Doomguy violently rebelling against a superior).

An official port of PSX Doom would be nice (Maybe with a Limited Run release even), but right nwo the ultimate way to play it is still the PSX Doom TC with my Doom 64 sprites pack (Which makes it look PERFECT.)

Although I don't think Doomguy Punches Superior would be that interesting of a game.

7 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

YES! THAT!

That would be just like any other shooter then. If Doom doesn’t have demons it’s not DOOM!!

8 minutes ago, Roebloz said:

Although I don't think Doomguy Punches Superior would be that interesting of a game.

Yeah, that is why I said it would have to be a very loose reimagining, i.e. instead of just punching a superior, it would involve Doomguy fighting a vast conspiracy within the military or something. Maybe said superior would turn out to have been secretly corrupted by Hell or planning to open a portal to Hell on Earth, but in the end, the whole incident would get covered up and Doomguy sent to Mars to keep quiet.