Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

my first attempt at a status bar face (well not really, my first attempts were just much too awful) thought id share it here

also an edit of the D64 cyberdemon i did a while ago

raymoohawk said:

my first attempt at a status bar face (well not really, my first attempts were just much too awful) thought id share it here
http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag334/raymoohawk/hudfacefail_zpsemlvenkz.gif
also an edit of the D64 cyberdemon i did a while ago
http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag334/raymoohawk/adamandeve_zpsgmwffkue.gif

That's a really good sprite for the Cybie. I could see him being a big brother to the Hell Knight and Baron. Also, it took me a second to realize its switching between a male and female version lol.

StupidBunny said:

While I'm at it, I'm having a maintenance problem: I've made SLADRIPx into a series of animated computer textures a la TNT, and this is happening:

http://i.imgur.com/2SuBfqd.png

It occurs in PRBoom but not ZDoom, and seems to have something to do with the rightmost patch (the silver one) being overlapped by the leftmost (the COMP one.) I've tried it with the texture width fitting all the patches perfectly, as well as as a multiple of 64 with some blank space on the right edge. Any idea why this would be happening?

Texture widths have to be a power of two. 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, and 4096 are all valid. Non-power-of-two texture widths will be cropped to the next smaller width.

mrthejoshmon said:

http://i.imgur.com/JJp5rhj.png

Wow, that actually looks better than I thought it would.

I like it! The only thing I'm unsure about is the uniformly FLAT2 ceiling - maybe break it up with something? Depending on what's going on elsewhere, you could shift the whole section to the side by 16 units, then have a few FLAT2s running down the centre of the ceiling, surrounded by, say, FLAT19. Or not, just a thought :)

mrthejoshmon said:

Wow, that actually looks better than I thought it would. [/B]

I really like this, the lighting and color scheme make it super atmospheric. My only complaint would be that it's completely symmetrical; try changing the architecture on one side of the room up a bit, even if it's just dragging a couple linedefs.

i'm not a fan of that josh pic. looks super flat, completely symmetrical, detail is pretty lacking, very few colours/mostly gray and the layout probably wouldn't aide gameplay at all? I don't understand why people like it.

jmickle66666666 said:

i'm not a fan of that josh pic. looks super flat, completely symmetrical, detail is pretty lacking, very few colours/mostly gray and the layout probably wouldn't aide gameplay at all? I don't understand why people like it.

Can't please everyone, I can respect that.

But I can't help but question how that is "super flat".

If that is "super flat" then I would love to see your definition of actually flat because (to me) it looks like it has different height levels, is it because I don't have trims and little pointless lumps all over the place (because I simply can't be bothered to mess around with as they are not very important and often make the place over complicated and clusterfucky)?

just saying, that's all.

I can sort of see what he means. You might benefit from having something (very arbitrary, sorry) in the middle of that watery bit. Obviously it makes little sense for a pool like that to have height variation, so you need something solid, like maybe a floating platform with some items or stuff on it.
Looks pretty cool regardless though.

There's a surprising absence of fake contrast in that scene - are the buildings at a funny angle, or have you disabled it?

durian said:

There's a surprising absence of fake contrast in that scene - are the buildings at a funny angle, or have you disabled it?

How do I enable it? (GLboom)

Perhaps you haven't turned it off and it's just that the sectors are too bright for it to be effective; try bringing the outside brightness down to 160 and see if it's there then.

So I took some of the feedback and decided to actually try and do something with it, yay or nay?

(I hope Team Nova don't mind me taking so long :P)

EDIT: This kind of doesn't show that the right side is different, oh well.

durian said:

Perhaps you haven't turned it off and it's just that the sectors are too bright for it to be effective; try bringing the outside brightness down to 160 and see if it's there then.

Looks fine on PRboom.

@mrthejoshmon These stairs look annoying, why can't it be a big set instead? Also get rid of the symmetricity, you're not out of ideas to make it look different.

Honestly, I'm fine with the map looking symmetrical as long as the progression of the map isn't symmetrical. And the stairs look fine.

There's four stairs on both sides, so you could do something like remove stairs 1&3 on the left, 2&4 on the right.

Da Werecat said:

I think symmetry is fine in this case.

And I don't think that the skylight really required that brown thing.

Agreed - I think it looked nicer when it was more uniformly coloured, but as you say, you can't please everyone :)

I like Gez's idea though, since - depending on how you have the combat set up - it could force the player to think a little more about how they're moving.

joe-ilya said:

First attempt in an urban map.
http://i.imgur.com/0LJ4M4F.png

Not bad, but like durian said, the outside brightness is too high. I think a lot of your maps would look way better if you made the outdoor areas less than fullbright, which as I've observed before makes everything look garish and makes textures clash more. If you make the outdoor areas darker than the textures will sit together more pleasantly, and you can use bright areas just as local highlights instead. Plus some good contrast between dark and light sectors can go a long way to making a moody/spooky atmosphere. :) Trust me on this one.

I thought mrthejoshmon's screenshot looked fine to begin with. I don't even terribly mind the symmetry that much, assuming that (like AD_79 said) the areas around it are not. I also feel like in an area like this, the empty pool is the centerpiece and definitely creates the impression that something ugly is going to be coming out of those side areas. I guess if I had any criticism it's that FLAT2 is very...well, flat, and the only thing about this area that really is. I don't know what would be better, though, and don't wanna demand that you make some super elaborate light fixture when this is probably fine. Though maybe it could just be a crossbar, with no lights at all? Anyway I'm sure I could continue nitpicking what's already a nice-looking screenshot but I'm not sure it needs it.

(Oh yeah and thanks essel, that solved my texture problem.)