Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Games you wish more people would play

The quake 2 mod gloom http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA3W4vS7d0g

I LOVED playing this mod back in the day. The last time I checked (about 2 or 3 years ago) there was like 3 people playing it. And with only a couple people playing it ..its not fun at all (Would be like Team Fortress 2 with 3 people). That mod was so fun back in the day.

Also I wished people would of been playing Quake Wars when I bought it for 360. Talk about a waste of money. That was like 4 years ago..When i bought it there was like 3 or 4 real people playing and the rest were bots. Big waste of money..I sold it because of it.

Multiplayer games tend to be like that, they entirely depend on the player-base, and without any, you might as well not have ever gotten the game in the first place. I got Unreal Tournament 3 a couple years ago and was similarly disappointed in the fact the number of people playing it was literally in the single-digits... for a Unreal game no less! It's not even a bad game but it tried to be a middle-ground between UT99 and UT2004 so I can definitely see why both communities weren't moving to it.

Planetside, Shadowbane, Darkfall Online and other games like that, persistent worlds centered on PvP with player interaction having an impact on the environment.

All of these games had failures and I'm not even interested in playing anything in that genre anymore, but I still enjoy the stories from people who do.

...I had to think hard to find any example at all. It's a good feeling.

DoomUK said:

I wish more people on here would give Call of Duty a try in multiplayer. I'm sure many of those who dismiss it as a dumbed down cash cow that appeals to 13 year olds played singleplayer for about 10 minutes and declared the entire game to be shit.

I wish more people played the old CoDs online. At least enough to be able to regularly find a non-hacked lobby.

chungy said:

Multiplayer games tend to be like that, they entirely depend on the player-base, and without any, you might as well not have ever gotten the game in the first place. I got Unreal Tournament 3 a couple years ago and was similarly disappointed in the fact the number of people playing it was literally in the single-digits... for a Unreal game no less! It's not even a bad game but it tried to be a middle-ground between UT99 and UT2004 so I can definitely see why both communities weren't moving to it.

And that's why I like bots so much. When a multiplayer game is far past it's prime, it's nice being able to boot up some bots and play an MP game without having to go through the hassle of something like trying to arrange a game on a small IRC channel and hoping there's enough people on it that want to play.

I'm just going to go ahead and say it: Doom. I really do wish more people would play it, though I do suppose it gets a fair amount of playtime given all the ports n' re-releases.

There's just so much you can get out of the game that modern shooters just don't offer. I'd like to call it "required playing" for anyone who calls themselves a gamer... in my completely and totally biased opinion, of course.

I do like the tight-knit community we've got here, though. The retard-to-normal-user ratio is quite low, and I suppose it's hard to increase the playerbase without increasing that somewhat. :P

The Contra series.

You're not a man if you haven't played any of them. :P

Untamed64 said:

Skulltag's Posession Gamemode

I agree completely! It's probably the best game mode in the whole thing, yet it's sorely, sorely underplayed!

Also, I wish more people would play Wrack. ... oh wait, it's not out yet :(

Also, I wish more people would play Wrack. ... oh wait, it's not out yet :(

Not enough hype, not enough hype! Come on, man. I know I've been pretty negative, but that should tell you something, even someone like me thinks there's not enough communication. ;)

There's a bazillion boring indie games getting a lot of coverage simply because they talk about it over and over. Yours is shaping up to be much better than most of these, but unless someone is actively involved with Doomworld, Quakecon or Skulltag, it's unlikely they have even heard of it.

Phml said:

Not enough hype, not enough hype! Come on, man. I know I've been pretty negative, but that should tell you something, even someone like me thinks there's not enough communication. ;)

There's a bazillion boring indie games getting a lot of coverage simply because they talk about it over and over. Yours is shaping up to be much better than most of these, but unless someone is actively involved with Doomworld, Quakecon or Skulltag, it's unlikely they have even heard of it.

Yeah, you're right. I keep wanting to hold off publicizing it until it's really done and ready, but I don't know how great of an idea that is. I'm pretty sure it will take off once it's out between word of mouth and mentions from indie game sites and such. But hey, it might benefit from some added anticipation.

... too bad I don't really know how to generate that :(

Dev diaries seem to be a popular thing to do these days. Reading about the thought process behind various features, the development progress and hurdles, things that work and things that get scrapped and why, all these things can be interesting and get more people looking forward not only to your stuff, but to yourself, as you personalize the relationship you become less of a faceless developer and more a person players can relate to and care about, eventually willing to buy your game to support you personally.

Plus, even if it seems tedious, going through the extra effort of making your notes suitable to an outside audience, on a regular basis, can be useful to yourself, getting you to reexamine everything. Just as well, sticking to some kind of regular schedule can't hurt work flow, a bit like reports.

Contacting video game sites before it's done can be worth it as well, to do interviews, get a chance to talk about the game and warm people up to the idea. If you take the first step, you're doing half of the job, any smart vg journo will like that.

It's true we often see people bitching about games being hyped way before release, but at the same time they complain because they care. So many games come out of nowhere and tank as a result, or sell less than they deserve. For better or worse (ok, worse), marketing plays a big role, even in the indie scene.

Jodwin said:

Settlers 2 10th anniversary edition.

Hell no, I bought that crap not realizing that it was some 'updated' version. I want my favorite midi tunes, not this movie soundtrack crap.

I wish that people would play the Megaman Legends series more. I heard that some people didn't like it because it wasn't like the classic Mega Man games.

There was going to be a Megaman Legends 3, but Capcom cancelled it. There are petitions to get the game to be worked on again, and I'm hoping that they can get Capcom to work on Megaman Legends 3 again.

Belial said:

Hell no, I bought that crap not realizing that it was some 'updated' version. I want my favorite midi tunes, not this movie soundtrack crap.

Yeah, the original is far better, but the 10th anniversary edition is good enough for little kids who get a gag reflex when looking at 2D sprites. :P