Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
everennui

what are you working on? I wanna see your wads.

It's been a while since I posted anything about my map here, so here are some updates to it I guess.

Spoiler

Builder_Y1FMC7EeLk.png.3846814350b3efa7540923053d5987c1.pngBuilder_WMTPdFBnlc.png.581ca279c0958d5e590d78fdfacc8eb9.pngBuilder_WdBFyu8Vv2.png.aa6298e769533a43b30869031a366364.pngBuilder_jgEeDpafli.png.54cf32ee9802efc129f649edcfd2816a.pngBuilder_artGHdsJsj.png.d9b64a36835a701023ce3035ed035d6c.pngBuilder_2bFoHSZWis.png.750d50c6b991e0cca54f95257992677c.png

Who remembers this IWad? Also, I need to find somewhere to post all of my work on this project so far. Is there a specific forum section here or on the zdoom forums for works in progress?

Screenshot_Doom_20191002_131537.png.2e515fefc6a644c6b48475af0127da36.png

Lately I've been working on a few maps and using custom textures in Doom for the first time... the game's been out for 25 years or so, might as well. hehe

This one is based on Jabba the Hutt's palace from Return of the Jedi, using textures from Dark Forces and its sequel. 

Here are some screens - (spoiler'd so it's not a huge wall)

1. the Rancor Pit

Spoiler

uop0KTM.png

2. Stairs to upper level

Spoiler

Favf2up.png

3.  Hallway

Spoiler

EPJfWpy.png

4. Upper area halls

Spoiler

Kx1TmUG.png

5. Garbage disposal 

Spoiler

GISCqdk.png

6. Bar/cantina

Spoiler

naodoCS.png

7. Upper area halls 2

Spoiler

1Z8VYcu.png

Most of the level will be my own ideas, except "Jabba's throne room" which is drawn from blueprints of the source material.

The exact scale is not finalized, for now it's mostly untextured and not connected to the rest of the map.  

Spoiler

MZSDRa6.png

4 hours ago, elend said:

Oh yes, more Star Wars Doom please! Looking good.

Thanks! 

I want it to feel like a mission that was maybe taken from the original Dark Forces, but I don't think I'll add custom enemies/weapons because I want the gameplay to be pure Doom. I'm going to try some things with the weapon/enemy progression that will hopefully be different from the normal way of picking up the weapons sequentially.

15 hours ago, Sir Squidly said:

Is there a specific forum section here or on the zdoom forums for works in progress?

Hail and well met, good Sir knight. I'm fairly certain it's OK to make your own thread in Wads & Mods for your map(s), and to include a download link when it's complete.

4 hours ago, reflex17 said:

Hail and well met, good Sir knight. I'm fairly certain it's OK to make your own thread in Wads & Mods for your map(s), and to include a download link when it's complete.

Random question, is it considered alright to make a page on Doomworld and Zdoom Forums, or is that something against the rules?

Also, you better be able to use the switch to drop enemies in the rancor pit, it would be too fun to pass up!

4 minutes ago, Sir Squidly said:

Random question, is it considered alright to make a page on Doomworld and Zdoom Forums, or is that something against the rules?

Also, you better be able to use the switch to drop enemies in the rancor pit, it would be too fun to pass up!

As far as I'm aware it's fine to post threads on multiple forums. Probably the best way to get maximum exposure and feedback.

And yeah I agree that would be cool. I've never done scripting and the map doesn't have room-over-room, so it's probably out of the question though. The map does have the function seen in the movie however, where Luke runs through and crushes the Cyberdemon Rancor with the huge metal gate.

2 hours ago, Sir Squidly said:

Those forums are under completely separate administrations, so that would be fine.

3 hours ago, reflex17 said:

And yeah I agree that would be cool. I've never done scripting and the map doesn't have room-over-room, so it's probably out of the question though. The map does have the function seen in the movie however, where Luke runs through and crushes the Cyberdemon Rancor with the huge metal gate.

I mean, the scripting for such should be rather easy, as it would be Floor LowerInstant and activating Sector SetPortal. Or could do an older style of floor lower and teleport sectors. I could throw together a simple example wad if ya' want

Edited by Sir Squidly : Fixed

1 hour ago, Sir Squidly said:

I mean, the scripting for such should be rather easy, as it would be Floor LowerInstant and activating Sector SetPortal. Or could do an older style of floor lower and teleport sectors. I could throw together a simple example wad if ya' want

I appreciate the offer, though I'm not sure it's something I would put in the map. It's a cool idea of course, I haven't gotten to that section yet and I'm not sure how it would be implemented effectively. I wanted most of the level and the throne room in particular to be relatively fast-paced and "arcadey". Thanks though, I do see it's a simple effect to make.

Well, I'm working on Blocktober and Nanowadmo maps(most likely, I'll only do 2-3 of them through month). Fragmented automap is intentional, because in game it's connected with bunch of portals. 

Spoiler

It will be spiritual sequel to this map:

what_another_eternity_map_v1_edit_area_a

On 9/26/2019 at 9:41 PM, Cherno said:

I did some more work on my Future Noir TC.

very lovely, love the visual of this. Looking forward for this, good luck with the work

1 hour ago, R4L said:

Let me just say, hills or mountains are a pain in the ass to make! Using Eviternity, Celtic Shrine and Hexen assets along with the usual Metroid stuff.

Personally I believe the best way to make terrain in Doom is to take advantage of the games blocky aesthetic. Making your rock faces jagged will not only lower your linedef count but will also prevent your terrain from looking out place in an almost three decade old game. If you want examples of good Doom terrain I would recommend checking out the later maps in Ancient Aliens first episode.

7 hours ago, Denim Destroyer said:

Personally I believe the best way to make terrain in Doom is to take advantage of the games blocky aesthetic. Making your rock faces jagged will not only lower your linedef count but will also prevent your terrain from looking out place in an almost three decade old game. If you want examples of good Doom terrain I would recommend checking out the later maps in Ancient Aliens first episode.

I was going to use slopes at first but I thought what I've done here looked pretty good.

Long time lurker, first time poster. Here's some screenshots of a strife pwad I've been working on.

Spoiler

Screenshot_Strife_20191006_213323.png.126ca2abeab4021fd60a9a99112552ea.pngScreenshot_Strife_20191006_205152.png.3ac7d99ad712b4d76447eae94b1535c1.pngScreenshot_Strife_20191006_205559.png.796c83c71eb093b5d967453d90b9ba10.pngScreenshot_Strife_20191006_211043.png.98254e343fcd38371e0aba561f2baa4c.pngScreenshot_Strife_20191006_211327.png.b0cf1a019325a093abcc4b361124809b.pngScreenshot_Strife_20191006_211718.png.4aae2eec6ae644e9199f4942abcb6f0e.pngScreenshot_Strife_20191006_212607.png.a7754a3c278aa0dba23583a762895142.pngScreenshot_Strife_20191006_213225.png.038cfae837156a1dee3bc6218542cade.pngScreenshot_Strife_20191006_213244.png.7688d1b80b3aa19049f77f86c5c57794.png

Why didnt you post sooner? They look great.

Edited by Rhebiz

Decided to stop being lazy and make at least one room.  Im gonna go grab some tea...

bl9gnRj.png

9 hours ago, Rhebiz said:

how did you do that?

I have divided the room into 64 segments, set the sector brightness of each segment incrementally from 0 to 63 and then used the light_phased sector special to cycle through all the segments. Areas with cast shadows are reverted back to a static sector brightness of 0. Although it might be possible to have a phased light run through the shadow areas in the opposite direction to simulate moving shadows. I have not tried that yet. 

16 hours ago, CypherCrowley said:

[intelligence]

Well that is certainly an effect I kinda really wanna copy

My second level I plan on releasing at some point. A Map01 replacement.
DB shot: https://gyazo.com/1ead17e6afb72e9aa5aadd7f0aeaa1b3

https://imgur.com/D2DhrJ5

https://imgur.com/9con6Hc

https://imgur.com/izfnLFP

https://imgur.com/U8zEOfG

https://imgur.com/7Eq3kDQ

https://imgur.com/RHWJRN0

Edit: Didn't feeling like spending the time spoilering it, so it's a link.

Supposed to be a more "classic" vibe. Not too in your face about detail. but enough to not look plain. Lul. 

Edited by Mithral_Demon : Updated photos to a better photo site