Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SOSU

The "stupid mod idea" thread

This stupid to the extreme...anyone ever thought of making a mix and/or match bundle of maps? Like maybe a bunch of maps where you could choose different maps and resources to kind of make your own map sets? Just another stupid mod idea.....

I was thinking about the equivalent of tofu boy but in doom, Tofu guy if you will.

• He's slower than doomguy.
  • He will need a moment to breathe after walking for some time. You can't move or attack in this state.
  • He receives double damage from every attack.

If someone wants to take this idea, go ahead, but please, keep me informed on your progress!

You are the IoS instead of Doom2guy. You're pissed that the weak, pathetic humans dare to enter your hellish domain and challenging your awesome power ("And there's not a single drop of water here! Why they send marines?" You hear yourself complained) You decide to pay them a lesson yourself.

So down you go, the glorious Romero's head in a stake inside the big exposed brain, popped out from the goat head wall. Since you can't walk, you must be content to sit on a big wheelchair pushed forward by pinkies. Your plan is to slaughter the Doomguy starting from Map30 (they are everywhere at every level, trying to goes forward) and your job will be easier and easier with later Doomguys being noober and noober.

The problem is, you keep saying the same things in reverse and spawn those monster boxes uncontrollably, and those damn hellspawns keep blocking your way!! And you have no means to kill them at all! You rage in frustration, to no avail.

"Okay," you smirk in the end, after you couldn't get clear from the monster crowd. "I'll just wait for him to come to me..."

Every time you save the game, you lose 25% health. Might not be that stupid of an idea, actually.

On 9/20/2023 at 7:48 PM, doombedoom said:

("And there's not a single drop of water here! Why they send marines?" [...])

As if it wasn't obvious for the past 30 years, it only just dawned on me.

Doomguy doesn't sink on any liquid surfaces (well, originally) because he's a MARINE

On 9/16/2023 at 12:31 AM, Widow said:

This stupid to the extreme...anyone ever thought of making a mix and/or match bundle of maps? Like maybe a bunch of maps where you could choose different maps and resources to kind of make your own map sets? Just another stupid mod idea.....

They are called community projects

On 9/20/2023 at 7:48 PM, doombedoom said:

You are the IoS instead of Doom2guy. You're pissed that the weak, pathetic humans dare to enter your hellish domain and challenging your awesome power ("And there's not a single drop of water here! Why they send marines?" You hear yourself complained) You decide to pay them a lesson yourself.

So down you go, the glorious Romero's head in a stake inside the big exposed brain, popped out from the goat head wall. Since you can't walk, you must be content to sit on a big wheelchair pushed forward by pinkies. Your plan is to slaughter the Doomguy starting from Map30 (they are everywhere at every level, trying to goes forward) and your job will be easier and easier with later Doomguys being noober and noober.

The problem is, you keep saying the same things in reverse and spawn those monster boxes uncontrollably, and those damn hellspawns keep blocking your way!! And you have no means to kill them at all! You rage in frustration, to no avail.

"Okay," you smirk in the end, after you couldn't get clear from the monster crowd. "I'll just wait for him to come to me..."

Hey, I'd actually play that!

Not nessecarily Doom, but I was thinking of many iterations of a Monolith Productions and Monolith Soft crossover, one of them in the form of a Doom mod. I was thinking of "When Monoliths Collide" for the name. The Productions side would consist of Caleb, Pointman, Sanjuro Makabe, Magic Claw, and Kate Archer. The Soft side would have Shulk, Kalas and Shion Uzuki.

I really want to make a character to put in the My Park map I made, since you're doom kid...a thief in the park would be great, specifically designed off the thief in A Link to the Past..that character moved fast and speratic and having all your weapons and armour fly everywhere as he picks it up would be hilarious and unlike the original sprite in the link game, which was untouchable, I'd just give him a ridiculous amount of hit points 

Cock-a-doodle-doom: modify the heretic chicken sprite to have a little mech suit, make the guns look like mech arms (gonna have to make new shotgun sprites probably) and have the beak in the middle. Make the player radius and height much smaller than normal and lean into the concept of the player having more mobility than all the monsters

On 9/17/2021 at 12:24 PM, QuotePilgrim said:

Not a mod but I had this idea for a CP that I'm definitely not going to start, so I'm just going to mention it here and if anyone likes this silly idea enough to do it themselves, feel free to.

"DOOM in Things Only". Start with the original DOOM maps, and delete all linedefs, so that only the things remain. The new maps must be created without touching the existing things, that is not removing any of them, changing any of their properties, nor moving them around; adding new things is also not allowed. Also all things present in a should all ideally be accesible to the player, so no leaving them outside the map or anything like that.

Just been skimming through these pages having a laugh, but I actually can't believe no one's made a community project with this idea yet. It's such a fun concept! Especially if you threw Doom II and Final Doom levels into the mix.

As punishment for demons andzombies, force them to make a wish or amazon account. Or an epic games account? Or maybe make Hello Neighbor?

Edited by Widow

One map or several, but with atrocities that make speedrunning strategies just outright impossible:

- 89/91 (or 179/181, 269/271, 1/359) degree walls to hinder wallrunning. For the thingrunning alternative, each thing stacked right next to the other is given one exact pixel indent relative to the previous one;
- 31 pixel wide gaps between columns/walls (also things) to prevent gliding;
- needing to do a whole map roundabout just to override a 25 pixel high height gap;
- higher height differences being just too tall to Archvile jump over;
- speaking of Archviles, they cannot access areas where you could effectively use their thrust;
- other monsters being more of an annoyance than an actual menace, blocking pathways and/or acting as ammo sponges. Extra credit for them being locked at the bottom of an abyss you need to clear out by taking another route before jumping over;
- for maps which could theoretically be cut short by voidgliding (like how ZeroMaster did in E2M3 and E2M6) just adding thin inaccessible sectors right outside the outer border of the map layout.

Any other ideas are welcome to make this theoretical mod even more awful.

Edited by The_MártonJános

17 hours ago, Cell said:

- 31 pixel wide gaps between columns/walls (also things) to prevent gliding;
- higher height differences being just too tall to Archvile jump over;

I've come across these in a few levels already.

I just made a happy accident and now my snow level feels like snow, when you stop walking you slide just a bit... remember the bad Mr frosty from clayfighters? He's back...with elves! I don't think the map will allow for doors, so no keys...but Santa will be waiting, ever repeating.."you'll never get rid of me, never get rid of me never never NEVER!"

Edited by SupremeBioVizier

On 10/27/2023 at 1:13 AM, RonnieJamesDiner said:

Just been skimming through these pages having a laugh, but I actually can't believe no one's made a community project with this idea yet. It's such a fun concept! Especially if you threw Doom II and Final Doom levels into the mix.

You can probably tell from the fact that I'm a junior member despite being around for more than three years that I'm not a very active member. As a result whenever I come back and see a notification it comes as a big surprise. And of course in this instance it had to be someone quoting a post where I made a pretty egregious typing error I only notice upon rereading it LOL

Anyway, always glad to hear someone other than myself likes one of my dumb ideas.

Doom, but Doomguy stims with his hands and as a result is less accurate

Edited by Donowa

A mapset where every map has a different name on the automap and intermission screen.

somebody who knows IT to work together with the developers of the doom obsidian level generator to make a doom open-world map continuously generated while the player plays it, the map's size+complexity only limited by the player's hardware specifications.

Similar to two other wads I've seen before (The Halls Speak To Me, and.."Dark Scythe"), E1M1 but in various alternate universes, first starting with the original then remixes of the map, like a corrupted hell version akin to episode 3s secret level, or a dilapidated overgrown techbase , or a slaughter map with more monsters.

On 1/25/2024 at 3:56 PM, Foxstiel said:

Similar to two other wads I've seen before (The Halls Speak To Me, and.."Dark Scythe"), E1M1 but in various alternate universes, first starting with the original then remixes of the map, like a corrupted hell version akin to episode 3s secret level, or a dilapidated overgrown techbase , or a slaughter map with more monsters.

That's not so much a stupid idea... in fact, something similar actually exist: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/m-o/multiverse

An idea for a community project I had at one point but will probably never realize - The Only Map We Got.

Make a small techbase suitable for an opening, then everyone edit it to make it look expanded or redecorated.

Mostly "in name only" variations i had in mind recently:

Doom 2 in music only, but where you use the internal lump names (runnin, stalks, etc.) as source of your map theme.

Spoiler

Actually, i was thinking about a mapset with this concept and some ideas for some maps as well! It's not a completely stupid idea!

Maps done with the musical theme limitations you see on YouTube (2nd and 4th part swapped, every beat missing, etc.)

Probably, something inspired by popolar genres that ends with -wave or -core or else you found on the net.

On 1/31/2024 at 6:05 AM, ViolentBeetle said:

An idea for a community project I had at one point but will probably never realize - The Only Map We Got.

Make a small techbase suitable for an opening, then everyone edit it to make it look expanded or redecorated.

I really like this idea. I hope someone does it at some point.

12 minutes ago, bofu said:

I really like this idea. I hope someone does it at some point.

Isn't Negative One basically that before eventually expanding into 35 Boom-compatible maps?

4 hours ago, taufan99 said:

Isn't Negative One basically that before eventually expanding into 35 Boom-compatible maps?

I thought negative one is more about building the same map together, my idea is more about independent submissions that are all expansions/limited modifications of the same map.

It’s not actually a mod idea but a stupid idea: each sector is tagged as secret excepted the real secret areas.