Grain of Salt

What Is Your Favorite Weapon?

Your favorite weapon??  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite weapon...????

"WOIT!"

"woiwoiwoiwoiwoiwoiwoiwoit!"

Elephant trunk or go home.

SSG - not only it's relatively very powerful and kills enemies fast, but in order to use it efficiently, you need to approach enemies closely, which can also force you to move a lot to avoid their attacks, and that makes an exciting gameplay.

16 minutes ago, everennui said:

Poor pistol gets no love.

Because it doesn't deserve to be loved.

Seriously though, once you get the Chaingun there's absolutely no reason to go back to the Pistol. Unless you're an ammo conservative freak and you're bothered by the fact that the CG shoots two bullets in one click.

Just now, KVELLER said:

Seriously though, once you get the Chaingun there's absolutely no reason to go back to the Pistol. Unless you're an ammo conservative freak and you're bothered by the fact that the CG shoots two bullets in one click.

or do some crazy challenge with the pistol....

Also, fist without berserk is terribly forgotten and almost not used :(

13 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

12 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

or do some crazy challenge with the pistol....

2 words people, Tyson speedrun... ;)

A match between the Chaingun and the Plasma Gun. Chaingun is fun to use and moderately effective, but ammo is less common than I would have liked. I have a habit of hoarding cells, so when I finally break out the Plasma Gun it's a blast.

The BFG pales in my eyes, for I have seen the devastation wrought upon the earth by the SBC Cannon.

The pistol is great for putting down those stubborn imps that aren't taking a shotgun blast for an answer. They aren't worth the extra shell.

We all know that some weapons works for single targets like the plasma gun and other weapons works on multiple targets like the SSG or the RL. Personally, I prefer weapons that has some power and kills multiple targets.

The pistol is not completely horrible, but since we're comparing it with other weapons, the results don't surprise me.

Have to give it to the plasma gun. The overpowered SSG (mainly the damage to ammo ratio) is for your normal non-threatening gameplay. When the going gets hard, the plasma gun can get you out most of the time with the very decent sustained damage and guaranteed painlock on anything that is not a baron, hell knight or cyberdemon due to the very high attack speed. It usually interrupts arch-viles before their attack finishes and is great for sniping Spider Masterminds at extreme ranges.

It is ideal for situations, where SSG is either too slow or inaccurate, but also don't deserve the BFG. Plus, it has a great, powerful sound and the feel of it is just perfect.

Close second is the rocket launcher because of the high rate of fire, explosion sound and gibs.

The explosive barrel can be your best or your worst friend.

It was really easy for me to choose.

My favourite weapon is the shotgun. I can use it in a variety of ways. You want to do close quarter combat? No problem. The shotgun is made for that. You want to snipe enemies? Again, the shotgun is ideal.

And I can kill many things with it, while not getting bored. Hitscanners, Imps, Pinkies, Cacos, Lost Souls, Hell Knights, Barons, e.t.c.  (many Doom 2 enemies are better dealt with the SSG instead imo)

Also, the shotgun is really satisfying to use. It is fast and deadly. What else would you want from it?

Finally, the shotgun is important to me, because it is the weapon that I spent more time with in my favourite FPSs (Doom, Doom 2) and in many custom wads.

Why does the chaingun get so little love? It's beaten in the poll by everything except the chainsaw, which sucks on anything that isn't a caco or pinky, and the fist and pistol which just plain suck.

My guess is everything else has a greater DPS that it. The chaingun is not known for its power.

32 minutes ago, TootsyBowl said:

Why does the chaingun get so little love? It's beaten in the poll by everything except the chainsaw, which sucks on anything that isn't a caco or pinky, and the fist and pistol which just plain suck.

There is a huge difference between the Brutal Doom chaingun and the default chaingun in Doom, the latter mostly serves for self-defense or sniping and in some cases shoot-switches.

The chainsaw is cool on anything low tier. plowing through troopers and imps isn't too bad either, also the chainsaw can deal with PEs perfectly fine as well as it can handle revenants or anything else with a relatively high pain chance.

18 minutes ago, TootsyBowl said:

Because it is outclassed in every aspect by the plasma gun, besides long range sniping and being hitscan. That alone makes the chaingun have an important place in the game, as it is the best weapon at dispatching distant immobile high priority opponents, but otherwise, the weapon is mostly just meh with at best mediocre DPS and inefficient ammo usage. Besides the occasional painlock which eats way too much ammo anyway on anything tougher than a caco, it is simply a full auto sniper rifle.

I don't get the people that say they use shotgun for sniping, since chaingun is clearly the superior tool for the job.

To be honest, I think my least used weapons in Doom 2 are pistol and normal shotgun which is used just for niche things like firing through narrow slits and killing weak humanoids in one shot and saving a shell instead of wasting one with SSG. But shells are so omnipresent in most wads it really doesn't matter at all.

44 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

There is a huge difference between the Brutal Doom chaingun and the default chaingun in Doom, the latter mostly serves for self-defense or sniping and in some cases shoot-switches.

Hey, don't let our previous conversation let you think that I'm a complete Brutalhead.

Really hard to chose. I always loved the Shotgun and SSG just because of the awesome animation (reloading). 

But I went with the BFG here, because you can clear out stressful situations rather quickly with it.

Rocket Launcher.. Well it is also my most hated weapon for how unbalanced it is. 

Edit : what the hell with unberserk fist beating pistol. 

1 hour ago, Pegg said:

Rocket Launcher.. Well it is also my most hated weapon for how unbalanced it is. 

Edit : what the hell with unberserk fist beating pistol. 

Unberserked fist: you are man enough to punch demons in face

Pistol: shit gun is shit