Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
m8f

⬆️ Doomworld Community Top WADs of All Time (resurrected)

Huh, it has been a while since I've seen this thread so active. Might as well join the trend, heh. Looking at my old list is surreal now, given how much my horizons have broadened in the last two years.

Honestly, flattening down my favourite wads into this format is deceptive. By way of example, there are a number of works which are here more as stand-ins or representatives of a looser collection of instances that, if compared directly with their 'bracket-mates', would not make the cut. Still, this list represents the closest approximation of my 'hall of fame' allowed by the format, and was rather fun to put together.

Anyway, without further ado, the wads:

NOTE: each bracket is sorted alphabetically, not in order of prefernece.

(1) Cydonia - in my mind the purest distillation of Plutonia's design philosophy, while also having plenty new to offer. One of my favourites for casual replays.

(1) Doom The Way id Did - standing in for the whole 'TWiD 'franchise' (inc. The Lost Episodes, UDTWiD, D2TWiD etc), this set represents the purest form of the early '10s retro / retro-revisionist movement, elegantly capturing the scale, complexity and visual language of the orginal Doom and encapsulating it in a more polished form. Essentially, DTWiD represents everything I like about the OG without the rough edges.

(1) Ray Mohawk 2 - easily my favourite of the various Doomkid partial conversion CPs, taking all the best elements of the series -- overpowered arsenals, psuedo-naive presentation, cheesy vibes and chaotic action -- and ratcheting them up to eleven. The unabashed joyfulness of this set and its siblings is infectious as all hell.

(1) Three's A Crowd - an old favourite, and still the best narrative-driven experience I've had in Doom by a ridiculous margin. Bizarre, surreal, inventive and atmospheric this set is, and surprisingly good for a few frags as well.

(1) URE2020 - a delightful adventure through a meticlulously-detailed world, filled with creative sector-machinery, wrought only of D1 textures and somehow finagled into idtech1. A true delight for a basecrawler and Doomcute appreciator like myself.

(2) The Adventures of Square E1 - a surprising pick for a miserable grump like myself, but underneath the comical presentation (which, to be clear, is immaculate in technical terms and very charming to boot) lies a mechanically superb experience, taking full advantage of GZDoom's ehanced 3D movement, and applying to perfection all the neoclassic design principles that I have come to enjoy. Great stuff.

(2) Back to Basics - this space could just as easily be given to Suspended in Dusk, but for whatever reason BtB has always appealed to me more. Espi was a true master of presentation -- conveying in a minimalist style the most immersive take on the basecrawling formula I've had the pleasure of experiencing. No other body of work can instill in me such a consistent feeling of loneliness and isolation. It is in fact that absence of extreme hostility, of alienation, that hammers this effect home: for without fear, there is no distraction from the all-devouring emptiness.

(2) Return to Hadron Trilogy - probably the biggest single influence on my approach to combat, no other wad I've yet played can match RtH's freeform, dynamic action. The D1 bestiary, normally and reasonably considered a stringent limitation, is ingeniously leveraged to create a unique style of action that encourages constant and unbroken movement. Highly addictive.

(2) Struggle: Antaresian Legacy - an old favourite, combining intense, close-quarters action with an amazing soundtrack and a delightfully crunchy bespoke arsenal, all against the backdrop of some of the most detailied and attractive techbases in Waddom. I am a huge fan of antares' work in general, and this is arguably his magnum opus.

(2) Syringe - a collaboration between some of my absolute favourite mappers, this set is a fantastic distillation of everything I enjoy about the scrappier side of the neoclassic school: simple, stylish and clearly-themed presentation, well-tuned yet dynamic combat and timeless yet engaging progression schema. The overarching sense of cross-dimensional adventure is just the icing on the cake. This set is not too far off from what I myself would like to achieve in this medium, if I can ever get off my rear that is.

(3) Ancient Aliens - the platonic ideal of a blockbuster megawad: finely-tuned combat, immaculate presentation, imaginative themeing, a grandiose sense of advanture and a strong overarching coherence all define this set and its spiritual relatives in my view. Also, AA-Tex is the most underrated resources in Waddom by a long shot. Get on it, mappers!

(3) Antaresian Reliquary - everything I love about antares' work in general and Struggle in particular distilled into a single package. Fantastic stuff.

(3) Doom 2 in Spain Only - D2TWiD's insane cousin, a masterful subversion of the retro movement, and also the only jokewad I have any patience for. Tarnsman is a master craftsman, an evil troll and a mad genius, all of which is reflected here. After much initial frustration, this set is now among my most replayed.

(3) Nihility: Infinite Teeth - the poster-child of outsider art in Waddom, from my perspective. Simultaineously expands upon and perfectly understands the appeal of Deimos as a setting, while making a number of bold and ingenious innovations, such as the complete eschewal of music in favour of ambient noise-generators (in vanilla!). My absolute favourite D1 episode replacement.

(3) Ventose - one of the greatest adventure maps ever created, a surreal dream castle folding into itself myriad themes derived mostly from vanilla D1 textures. Dripping with atmosphere and crammed full of ingenious secrets, playing this map for the first time is one of my most treasured Doom experiences, one which I will be forever trying to replicate.

(4) Arrival - perhaps my most replayed set of all time at this point, Pavera's magnum opus is uniquely enjoyable to me. Fast, dynamic combat, spacious, open, highly vertical layouts, the generous provision of the Plasma Gun and Rocket Launcher, an abundance of gibbable chaff and a constant sense of momentum make this set profoundly entertaining in an arcadey way.

(4) Lost Civilization - the greatest adventure wad ever created by an obscene margin, a work so visionary, so bold, so grandiose that words legitmately fail me when I try in vain to describe it. Jaska operates on a scale usually associated with mega-slaughter (e.g Sunder, Abandon), fosters a sense of immersion unmatched even by masters of pseudo-realism like Chris Lutz, paints a world engrossing like no other. Just... play it. Do yourself a favour.

(4) Tarnsman's Projectile Hell - the token evil teammate of the blockbuster megawad quartet, and my personal favourite of the bunch. Exhibits all the same virtues as AA / Valiant, but with an extra dose of trollish insanity and playful subversion. I replay this one all the time, and am a long way off from exhausting its unexpected depths.

(4) TNT2: Devilution - a magnificent collection of worlds like no other; a vertical slice of over fifteen years of design, spanning epochs of mapping long lost; a gallery jam-packed with the work of masters. The zenith of basecrawling from my perspective, and foremost among the major TNT-derived projects (e.g TNTR, THT:T etc). 

(4) Valiant - the original blockbuster, still unmatched in sheer entertainment value from my perspective. Everything I said about Ancient Aliens applies here. I just like this one more from a combat perspective - the souped up arsenal and bestiary make it that much more exciting.

(5) No End In Sight - some say that, in life, there are constants and there are variables, and my sad arse obsession with this wad has cemented itself as the former at this point. A grand, cross-dimensional adventure across increasingly alienating and insane spaces, born of a meeting of minds between some of my absolute favourite creators and a brilliant realization of the potential latent in the original Doom's design... yeah, I didn't stand a chance. Even as the validity of cleanly-ranked hierarchies of preference crumbles in my estimation, NEIS remains, undisputably, #1.

General statistics

• WADs: 543 (megawads: 190)
  • Voters: 220
  • Maps: 9 309
  • Monsters: > 2 310 906

There's got to be a better way to manage this... Could a dynamic spreadsheet be created that automatically tabulates votes and allows users to create their own columns and assign their points to each wad? Then it can display them next to the map? This way people could routinely update their scores.

5 hours ago, Scuba Steve said:

Could a dynamic spreadsheet be created that automatically tabulates votes

It exists. It tabulates votes, prepares the formatted list for me, calculates basic statistics and some graphs. Also it has a pivot table for sorting by different criteria. I'm not doing this entirely by hand :)

5 hours ago, Scuba Steve said:

allows users to create their own columns and assign their points to each wad

I'd prefer to update the data myself. This way I can ensure the data consistency, accordance to the rules and that votes are not accidentally falsified. I don't know how to automate all this.

I once tried to export the .ods spreadsheet as a read-only Google Doc spreadsheet so the data can be accessed more easily, but Google Doc didn't understand all the formulas and the pivot table.

image.png.f24da19786203c46bc706b40258f03dd.png

(I like the idea of this thread so i'm now getting involved)

Choosing my favourite wads from the huge list of wads i've played is definitely a hard one. There were a lot of wads i've really enjoyed throughout the past 4 years of playing through Doom content, but I managed to get 10 of my favourites along with 3 that didn't make the list. Without further ado, here is my personal rankings (with a brief description):

1 point - Alien Vendetta

Classic one for me to play, a lot of maps are definitely up there.

2 points - Comatose

Has a soft spot in my mind, super detailed but god damn was maxing this map annoying.

3 points - Swim With the Whales

This wad truly got me into challenging wads, can't wait to eventually speedrun those.

4 points - Crumpets

My first introduction to Ribbiks. Short, sweet but also punchy.

5 points - Tangerine Nightmare

Shows the true potential of the french doom community. Highly recommend this for when you're bored on Halloween.

6 points - Overboard

6 maps that have a lot of personality. UV-Maxing these was the most fun i've had in playing Doom. 

7 points - Fractured Worlds

Very tough even on casual playthrough. The architecture is stunning and the gameplay is thrilling too.

8 points - Sunlust

Most fun mega-wad there is out there imo. The difficulty spike is a real steep one, but the combat is extremely enjoyable.

9 points - Heartland

I thought this wad would be higher on the list. In my opinion this is the best skillsaw and stewboy has to offer, an absolute treat to play! (Also has in my opinion the best set of midis in any released wad)

10 points - Rush

I don't even have to say my reason why. This is terribly underrated and an absolute favourite of mine!

I'd also like to give 3 honourable mentions. Just to clarify they score no points though since i've already used my 55, however I think people should check these out regardless. Here they are:

Going Down

Scythe 2

Darkest Room

Edited by D0M0 : Had to mention stewboy's work in Heartland

I already have a new top 10 contender, would you look at that.

10 points to Japanese Community Project

9 points to Struggle: Antaresian Legacy

8 points to DBP37: Auger;Zenith - What a WAD. Its hyperdetailed cyberpunk cityscapes make for easily my favorite setting in Doom WAD, and the mappers manage to be endlessly inventive with it, with at least half of the maps rewarding extensive exploration. The combat isn't sacrificed at all for the visuals, being fast-paced, fun, and just the right amount of challenge for my skill level. I regret missing out on this in 2021, what got me to play it was a Dean of Doom rewatch marathon. My sole complaint is that because it's so detailed, it gave me all three of my first three experiences with the All-Ghosts Effect...

7 points to Eviternity.

6 points to Valiant.

5 points to Going Down.

4 points to Freedom: Phase 1.

3 points to Sigil.

2 point to Freedoom Phase 2.

1 point to Atmospheric Extinction.

Old list:

Spoiler

10 points to Japanese Community Project - Still my all-time favorite.

9 points to Struggle: Antaresian Legacy - Best combat in any WAD I've played, and it looks absolutely gorgeous too.

8 points to Eviternity.

7 points to Valiant.

6 points to Going Down.

5 points to Freedom: Phase 1.

4 points to Sigil.

3 points to Freedoom Phase 2.

2 points to Atmospheric Extinction.

1 point to Ancient Aliens. 

I hate to cut Ancient Aliens from the list, but I'm sympathetic to @MtPain27's philosophy of not listing popular WADs because the lesser-known mapsets deserve a spotlight. It was either that, one of the episodes of Freedoom, or Atmospheric Extinction, and I firmly believe that those deserve higher spots on the ranking. Ancient Aliens doesn't need my help to reach #1.

Hi!

Hell in Hell: 10
Plutonia: 10
Base Ganymede: 10
Eviltech: 8
Alien Vendetta: 6
Sunder: 4

Sigil: 2
Solar Struggle: 1
Hell Revealed: 1
No Rest for the Living: 1
Anomaly Report: 1
Reign of the Spider Gods: 1

On 4/16/2023 at 11:19 AM, m8f said:

It exists. It tabulates votes, prepares the formatted list for me, calculates basic statistics and some graphs. Also it has a pivot table for sorting by different criteria. I'm not doing this entirely by hand :)

You have all the individual voters there as well? Meaning you can easily change, for instance, my votes whenever I just flush out new scores? Because I've been avoiding that because I don't feel like searching for my previous votes so you wouldn't have such hard and cumbersome time updating my scores :-D This changes things, I gotta start thinking of updates!

Okay, just wanted to make an update again after completing Sunlust. And I also realized I forgot to give points to Myhouse.pk3.

6: Ancient Aliens

6: Valiant

6: Struggle: Antaresian Legacy

5: Heartland

5: Eviternity

5: Sunlust

5: Faithless/ Faithless Trilogy

4: Speed of Doom

3: TNT2: Devilution

2: TNT: Revilution

2: Plutonia 2

2: 1000 Lines 3 CP

1: Good Morning Phobos

1: Going Down

1: Overboard

1: MyHouse.pk3

Also ultimately decided to remove Alien Vendetta from my votes to spare more points, as AV is already very popular and has been in top 3 throughout the thread's lifetime already.

Previous list update:

Spoiler

After a year and many wads later, I have decided to update the list again. And this time, expand the list to 15 wads.

6: Ancient Aliens

6: Valiant

6: Struggle: Antaresian Legacy

5: Heartland

5: Eviternity

5: Speed of Doom

5: Faithless/ Faithless Trilogy

3: TNT2: Devilution

3: TNT: Revilution

2: Plutonia 2

2: Good Morning Phobos

2: 1000 Lines 3 CP

2: Alien Vendetta

2: Going Down

1: Overboard

On 4/14/2017 at 7:33 AM, Doomkid said:

scythe.wad - 10 points

dwango5.wad - 10 points

mm.wad - 10 points

exec.wad - 5 points

av.wad - 3 points

doomcity.wad - 3 points

mutiny.wad - 3 points

hellrun.wad (the one by Adrian Smart) - 3 points

udm3.wad - 3 points

area51.wad - 2 points

thtthren.wad - 2 points

bermuda.wad - 1 point

I've changed my views a little in the years since:

Dwango5 - 10 points

Exec - 5 points

Udm3 - 3 points

Area51 - 2 points

Star Wars DOOM 2 (v1.33) - 2 points

MM - 2 points

AV - 2 points

Scythe - 2 points

DoomCity - 2 points

Hellrun (Adrian Smart) - 2 points

Ray Mohawk 2 - 2 points (don't care that I ran it, it's one of my favorites!)

JAMAL JONES Trilogy - 2 points (once again)

Bourgeois Megawad - 2 points (damn right)

THT: Threnody - 1 point

Abscission - 1 point

Beta Labs - 1 point

GALAXIA (Ultimate Czech Level) - 1 point

OSIRIS - 1 point

Cleimos - 1 point

UAC_DEAD - 1 point

All Hell is Breaking Loose! - 1 point

The Far Side of Phobos - 1 point

Plutonia - 1 point

TNT: Evilution - 1 point

Bermuda Triangle - 1 point

Phobos.wad (Roger Ritenour) - 1 point

Earth.wad - 1 point

Mutiny - 1 point

Hotel Hell - 1 point

Hoover Dam - 1 point

Could play any of these right now and have a great time.

Scythe gets a 7 from me, really good, but the last episode drags on so much... It's mostly just generic looking hell levels that aren't fun, except 21 and 26 ofc. And 29 and 30 for obvious reasons.

When I think of more then I'll add them here.

On 4/19/2023 at 6:17 PM, Doomkid said:

Ray Mohawk 2 - 2 points (don't care that I ran it, it's one of my favorites!)

JAMAL JONES Trilogy - 2 points (once again)

Bourgeois Megawad - 2 points (damn right)

What a chad!!!

Okay, maybe I'll update my votes, since it's apparently been over a year since I last updated my scores. I think I'll follow MtPain's suite, and leave out roughly the TOP 25 wads, since they are already winners. I'll just give honorary mentions to Alien Vendetta, Sunlust, all Skillsaw releases and Going Down. And Speed of Doom. Also an honorable mention to PUSS IX: Mapping at Warpspeed, which I'm leaving out this time because it's a bit too current on my mind.

Votes go as follows:

Overboard - 7 pts. This is the most fun I've had with a wad, I believe. Inventive, imaginative, and unique.

Haste - 7 pts. Beaten it on HNTR only, but along with MSCP taught me I can enjoy wads with hard reputation.

Stardate 20x6 - 6 pts. A Ribbiks wad that's difficult, but feels accessible to my skill level on HMP. (Sunlust would also qualify, but no blockbusters this time). I happen to really like the visual motifs on display here.

Micro-Slaughter Community Project - 6 pts. Alongside with Haste, playing this wad in DWMC taught something about myself, that I like difficult wads and that I enjoy slaugher when it's done certain way.

Fractured Worlds - 6 pts. Simply marvellous wad that resides at the boundary of my skills -- on HNTR. I love the visual motifs, and its brand of gameplay is done with what I consider modern sensibilities in mind (much like in MSCP, Haste, etc.) - that it emphasizes challenge instead of tedium.

1000 Lines CP3 - 5 pts. I guess this one has nostalgia factor for me, it was one of the first wads I played in DWMC. Memories are bittersweet, as I was playing this (and Interception II) around the time my dad passed away suddenly. Anxiously waiting for idGames release.

Tangerine Nightmare - 5 pts. My experience with the french community is limited to this and 3HA2, but I too am fast growing to appreciate them. TN is a perfect adventurous wad for the halloween season, that's challenging but not overwhelming.

TNT: Revilution - 3 pts. I've said it before somewhere: if I ever want to replay Evilution, i can just boot up Revilution and have a good time. I feel this is the "Evilution the way it should have been done".

Cydonia - 3 pts. Also, if I ever want to replay Plutonia, I might just play Cydonia. Although Plutonia's still good. But Cydonia is great, too. Except for the archvile jump secret map. But pros greatly outweigh the one con.

Interception II - 3 pts. Nostalgia factors here, too, for the same reasons as 1K3. A mapset to play when you want longer, adventurous maps. Bonus point for the System Shock 2 secret area in one of the maps.

Arrival - 2 pts. Top quality mapset made with stock textures. I love the journey-like feel to it, and I really love the soundtrack.

Doom 2 in Spain Only - 1 pts. I'm not into joke or meme wads, but D2ISO with all its jokiness avoids crossing the border, because the maps are solid, and the renditions of traditional Doom soundtrack are both funny and solid.

Nostalgia - 1 pts. I'm not that into never ending remakes of classics, but sometimes they are done right. I could have voted for Deathless as well, but Nostalgia is a bit more fresh on my mind, a solid set that's based on the classic material, but are not reimaginings of the original levels.

And that's it! My experience is still limited, but I already feel the pain of leaving many a great wads out from the list. Squoanker wads, Skillsaw's less blockbustery wads like Vanguard and Lunatic...

Apparently my previous votes in February 2022 were:

Spoiler

Going Down - 8 pts. -- This one is really great, but it's TOP-25 material regardless of my votes.

Valiant - 8 pts. -- Same goes for this.

Tangerine Nightmare - 8 pts.

TNT: Revilution - 7 pts.

Interception II - 6 pts.

Coffee Break - 5 pts.  -- this one's great too, sad to see it drop.

No Rest for the Living - 4 pts. -- this one is solid for an official release.

Crumpets - 4 pts. -- Could have voted for this, too, solid Ribbiks outing.

Scythe - 3 pts. -- Umm... A solid wad, but I don't know if it's top material for me, anymore. Certainly a classic, though.

Plutonia Experiment - 2 pts. -- Clearly the best of the IWADs, but there a lot of wads more deserving of votes.

WADs by category (excluding standard single-player):

Multiplayer

Spoiler

Dwango5

Bourgeois Megawad

Judas

SSL2

Unidoom Deathmatch X (UDMX)

Execution

Greenwar II

SpaceDM9

Crucified Dreams

Gothic DM

2castles

Unidoom DM 3 (UDM3)

Alpha Invasion

Green War

Standalone game

Spoiler

The Adventures of Square

REKKR

Urban Brawl: Action Doom 2

Harmony

Rise of the Wool Ball

Chex Quest

Freedoom: Phase 1

Freedoom: Phase 2

Urban Brawl: Dead of Winter

Hacx

Shrine II

Helper

Spoiler

Meowgi's Practice Hub

Doomish Den of Design

IWAD

Spoiler

The Plutonia Experiment

TNT: Evilution

The Ultimate Doom

Doom II: Hell on Earth

Mod

Spoiler

Ultimate Simpsons Doom

Music

Spoiler

Plutonia MIDI Pack

dtwidmus

Peace

Spoiler

JUMPWAD

The Given

Total conversion

Spoiler

Batman Doom

Doom: The Golden Souls 2

Doom 64: Retribution

Doom: The Golden Souls

Aliens TC

Osiris TC

Shadow Of The Wool Ball

Ni'mRoD: IXNAY on the HOMBRE (Nimrod)

Ashes 2063

Cold as Hell

Community is Falling 3

Army of Darkness TC

Gene-Tech: Before the Storm

Paranoid

Robocop Doom

Batman Doom: Reborn

Return of the Triad

Serpent: Resurrection

Grezzo 2

If some wad in the list doesn't fit in the "standard single-player Doom maps" formula and it isn't listed above, please let me know! Also, it would be great to fill missing monster counts (see here) (at the moment about 73% of the list is covered).

Slaughterfest 2011                                                                                                                                                                             

Slaughterfest 2012                                                                                                                                                                                              Slaughterfest 3                                                                                                                                                                                                        SlaughterMAX                                                                                                                                                                                                      Holy Hell                                                                                                                                                                                                                Magnolia                                                                                                                                                                                                                Hell Bound                                                                                                                                                                                                          Eviternity                                                                                                                                                                                                              Sunder                                                                                                                                                                                                            Ancient Alliens                                                                                                                                                                                    Antaresian Reliquary                                                                                                                                                                                    Fractured Worlds                                                                                                                                                                                                      Journey to Hell                                                                                                                                                                                                    Sunlust                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Paradise                                                                                                                                                                                                  Cosmogenesis                                                                                                                                                                                                        Chillax                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Okuplok Slaughter MAP

Edited by Red Recluse

@Red Recluse You didn't assign the amount of points for the wads.

If all your voted wads are given 3 points, then that would be 54 points assigned (for 18 wads) with 1 point to spare.

I would like to update, my update was around 2 years ago. I'm listed as "<<Rewind"

I don't know how much effort this costs you. If it's too much effort then I'll understand if you skip my update. Here's my current rating:

10 - Eviternity

08 - Remnant

08 - Judgment

08 - Abandon

08 - Mutiny

05 - Miasma

04 - Auger Zenith

04 - Literalism

10 - Winter's Fury

10 - Cheogsh

10 - Hellground

9 - Miasma

9 - Stardate 20x6

9 - Frozen Time

9 - Verdant Citadel

8 - Swim with the whales

8 - Whitemare2

8 - Unloved

faad3e, thank you for voting! Your points exceed the 55 points limit, so they were scaled down: 10 -> 6, 9 -> 5, 8 -> 5.

Edited by m8f

I will not vote for AA, AV, Valiant and other universally recognized masterpieces, they are already in the lead by a wide margin.

10 - Lullaby (possibly best single map wad)

10 - TNT: Evilution (It was after him that I began to like classic doom)

10 - Vanguard (underrated masterpiece)

7 - Doom Zero

5 - 3x3: Take Two (many interesting maps)

5 - Autophagy (true oldschool)

5 - Avactor (large atmospheric mesoamerican maps)
1 - The Great Dog Escape (original and funny)

1 - Dub's Double Feature (great wad with 2 small maps)

1 - The walls (surreal map with Pepsi ads)

I started marking the engine for WADs. At the moment about half of the WADs in the list is covered. As always, corrections and additions are welcome.

Top Boom:

Spoiler
  • Ancient Aliens
  • Sunlust
  • Scythe 2
  • Going Down
  • Speed of Doom
  • Sunder
  • Resurgence
  • Community Chest 4
  • Lost Civilization
  • Fractured Worlds
  • Vanguard

Top GZDoom:

Spoiler
  • Pirate Doom!
  • The Adventures of Square
  • Winter's Fury
  • Unloved
  • Brutal Doom: Hell on Earth Starter Pack (Extermination Day)
  • The Ultimate Torment & Torture (TUTNT)
  • Stronghold: On the Edge of Chaos
  • Lullaby
  • Alienated
  • Cold as Hell

Top limit removing:

Spoiler
  • Scythe 2
  • Struggle - Antaresian Legacy
  • Hellbound
  • Japanese Community Project (JPCP)
  • No End in Sight
  • SIGIL
  • Deus Vult II
  • A.L.T.
  • Equinox
  • DBP37: AUGER;ZENITH
  • Tangerine Nightmare

Top vanilla:

Spoiler
  • Alien Vendetta
  • Back to Saturn X E1: Get Out of My Stations (BTSX Episode 1)
  • Scythe
  • Hell Revealed
  • Plutonia 2
  • Eternal Doom
  • Back to Saturn X E2: Tower in the Fountain of Sparks (BTSX Episode 2)
  • Hell Revealed II
  • Memento Mori II
  • Memento Mori
Edited by m8f : fixed Scythe 2, gudermannian function, thanks!

Engine popularity by relative points per year:

image.png.0acddd788501bd9e62e2ff38721ad7e7.png

Note on engine groups:

Spoiler
  • Boom includes Boom-compatible engines (Boom, MBF, PrBoom/GLBoom, PrBoom+/GLBoom+, DSDA-Doom). Maybe I should make a separate category for engines with MBF21 support (which are not GZDoom).
  • ZDoom includes ZDoom, GZDoom/LZDoom/QZDoom, Skulltag, ZDaemon, Zandronum, Doom Legacy and others. Even if some ports are not from ZDoom family, the WADs for those ports are put in this category because they are also playable in some kind of ZDoom.
  • I'm open to other ideas on how to put engines into groups.

Notable years:

• 1998: ZDoom, Boom, MBF, PrBoom and Doom Legacy are released.
  • 1999: the end of vanilla reign. Assault on Tei Tenga (ZDoom), Bermuda Triangle (Boom) and Jägermörder - 01 : Chemical Lab (Boom) are released.
  • 2000: csDoom and Skulltag are released.
  • 2001: Eternity and ZDaemon are released.
  • 2002: the year of ZDoom. Also, Caverns of Darkness (Eternity Engine) is released.
  • 2003: vanilla strikes back!
  • 2004: PrBoom+ is released.
  • 2005: GZDoom and Chocolate Doom are released.
  • 2007: ZDoom dominates. Odamex is released.
  • 2009: the year of Boom.
  • 2012: the only year after 2003 where vanilla has > 50% points. Zandronum is released.
  • 2015: the year of Boom II
  • 2020: DSDA-Doom, Q-Zandronum and Woof! are released.
  • 2021: Heartland (Eternity Engine) is released, MBF21 is finalized.
  • 2022: the year of Boom III.
Edited by m8f : Added MBF21, fixed Eternity Engine exclusives, the years of Boom

1 hour ago, m8f said:

Engine popularity by relative points per year

Interesting stats. I think splitting MBF21 is a cool idea, it's not that much different from boom in terms of design goals, but it would be cool to see how mbf21 is going to rise in popularity in the upcoming years.

1 hour ago, m8f said:

2021: the return of Eternity Engine exclusives (Heartland, Tarnsman's Projectile Hell)

Cool stats. Just something I think should be noted: TPH also runs on Zdoom 2.8.1, therefore not really an exclusive.