Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

How you discovered the Doom series? / Your first time playing Doom?

Demons Hand said:

I played the demo. It was a week after it came out. I had ot buy a new monater cuz some how some white stuff got all over it.
I still dont know how it got there.

Did you go to domworld.com instead?

i was 8, i picked up wolf 3d at 6 tho, wolf 3d came on a 'Best of battle games' cd rom, pentium had just come out, and my uncle got one and i played through wolf3d without getting hit or using strafte, so my uncle went for something harder, and he found a copy of doom2. i was 8.

Demons Hand said:

People dont get my joke? I got a little to happy when I saw doom hence the white stuff.
BTW Im jokeing.

Scuba Steve said:

Did you go to domworld.com instead?

He gets the joke alright.

Glad to see you're exercising that demon's hand. :-)

@ Scuba Steve, now that is an avatar!

Yes I remember very well (1995), I was completely blown away....and still am. Easily impressed?.....I don't think so, there's not many games come close!:)

I remember I saw Doom 2 first(forgot the year...1996???), at my cousin's computer and he was so evil that I had to beg him to let me play, but then he didn't want to tell me the keys that controlled Doomguy,and he left me in a hard level on ultra-violence-like difficulty, and I was killed inmediatly :(
Lotsa years later, I got Doom, unfortunately the shareware version (incomplete!!!) and then I started looking for the complete game, I saved my money and got Doom for SNES new!, ergh, but the controllers were hard and the graphics... crappy -__-, and according to the walkthrough I was reading, it was also incomplete!!!! So I went and got Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 for PSX, and still incomplete!!!!
Until these days, a friend of a friend gave me the complete versions of Doom 2 and Ultimate Doom for PC!!
*tears* I'm soooo happy now!! *cries of joy*

ok here's my cup of coffee ;) I played it for the first time in 1994. shareware version. 486SX-33.

friend's pc. he was so nervous about playing a game that was forbidden. (in germany we have some stupid laws about eeeevil computer blood. especially in connection with chainsaws and swastikas... ;) so I was only able to play it for 10 minutes or something befor he turned of the computer.

well I was able to copy it a few days later while he was on the toilet. ever since I was totally hooked. as soon as I got hold of some addon levels and DEU I was addicted. that hasn't changed ever sice. except for very few gamess (jedi knight, indiana jones and the fate of atlantis, maybe blood) I never saw a stronger athmosphere in a computer game/movie/book. never found out why.

Watching my dad play E1M3, but this topic has been covered like 5,000 times.

Sitting in front of my older brother's computer and watching the screen in anticipation of "this new id game", when suddenly that badass titlescreen popped out of nowhere on the screen.

What followed was that this badass pic was suddenly "ripped" off the screen by an invisible claw and then a demo of the actual game started playing. I was so amazed and focused on the playing demo that I didn't notice that my brother activated the main menu and started a new game - I didn't even notice that my game had begun (thought it was still the demo playing).

Yup, over at my friends house, he got a shareware thingy with blakestone and doom on it, think it was 94 possibly. He played the first few levels and let me on in level 4 i believe, first time i saw a pinkie i about pissed myself. then i got ambushed by some imps from behind, i knew those bastards were gonna come up behind me. I was just so amazed at how immersive it was.

Can't remember my earliest Doom moment, has been so long ago. In case you didn't notice, there's a similar thread that pretty much covers this-asked-way-too-often topic.

when I was like 10 I remember playing the shareware at a friends. The concept of shooting demons from Hell itself really touched me and I never let go of the game after that moment...

I first heard of Doom while riding on the back of a truck while going to gather something from our field. Back in 1993. My friend Paul described lights going out, and then having to shoot things in the dark. Of course, I was imagining a new buffed-up Duke Nukem type 2D platformer game with a whole new atmosphere.

Then when I actually first saw Doom in action, it was early 1995. My cousin Paul had Doom 2 on his computer. I remember Map01 with the chainsaw at the beginning, and thinking wow, this is such an amazingly complex and twist-filled level. And of course, since then, I have a hard time imagining how I thought that.

I remember the first time I heard this question on the forums. It was a warm fall day and I had just created my accout on Doomworld. I thought well this Is a cool question, It will give me a feeling for how long people on here have been playing doom.

It was one of my first posts and I will remember it fondly.

My first Doom moment was the first time I played shareware shortly after it was released - but my earliest memory is the first time I saw a bull demon, I nearly shit my pants (hey, I was seven or eight at the time :P). And once I got to E1M8... ohhhhhh boy. I wan't able to beat that for months, not because I was bad, but because between the Barons and the music (very frightening and fitting, even to this day) I didn't have the balls to try.

Uhh...going next door with my friend Matt and using his step-dad's Packard Bell to play Doom 2. And me going into Waldenbooks every time I went to the mall to look at the strategy guide.

Vancouver BC, 1994. On vacation, my 19 year old computer programmer second cousin loads it for me (I had no clue about computers then). Total addiction ensued.

Fighting the cacodemon and baron for the first time (i wasn't so aware of the sidestep function at the time tht's why the baron killed me with one fireball).

buying it for the snes back when it first came out for it cuz i didnt have a computer back then lol. i wish i had played it on a computer first tho

Alternative question:

Do you remember the first time you answered a question about your earliest doom experience?