Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NiGHTS108

How would you describe your mapping philosophy?

Looking back at my attempts at making maps over the years and my releases, I seem to focus on symmetrical, flat layouts located in some tech bases with an emphasis on Doomcute and semi-realistic architecture (or rather, at least as realistic as I can make it within my skills and in the Doom engine).

I started to not focus on symmetry and going a little more abstract and asymmetrical with my maps when I started working on the cave section of my map in the MAYhem 2022 Memento Moron Community Map Pack and continued focusing on asymmetrical layouts with the current map I am working on which are more focused on being outdoors in a jungle and roaming around in deep caves.

If I'm remaking a map or architecture I've made, I do it from scratch using the original as a reference and improving it as I go along.

Realism with a dose of TNT-ism's/design philosophy [such as giant optional areas meant for exploration, but do not add to level progression]

I feel my maps tend to be rather linear, I also tend to preffer some level of realism, I am not used to mapping open areas, most of the stuff I feel comfortable doing is room-to-room action I guess, I am not that sure how to handle combat either sometimes tbh, I also try to make them pistol-start-able, and if I add secrets I MUST be able to beat it WITHOUT having to get those secrets, I also tend to hide secrets from the automap and if they have a "door", make it appear as 1 sided in it.

Posted (edited)

I kinda struggle with visuals but I like to experiment more on combat play.

I try to visualize the theme that keeps circling in my head when I plan to make something or maybe something that I sometimes see in my dreams (though that is almost useless because I can't clearly remember what I saw). Try to make the structures somewhat a realistic type, although they never looked so in my previous Boom or Doom2 format maps lol :D Starting with a square room I try my very best to input that idea or theme. Then once the initial concept is drawn I then move forward to advance it more. Once the total layout is complete I then place things and plan what the combat should be like.

Though I'm not really experienced in mapping, this time I'm trying to create something even more realistic with the help UDMF mapping.

I'm still a bit of a developing mapper, but there's a few things I've established that I really like/want to to put in my maps (now that I've seriously worked on a Doom 2 set I intend to release) and see in other maps:

- Very focused visuals, like having a texture palette that only uses like one or two main colours and makes most of the level look muted (rock, bricks, metal, etc) with bright highlights (lights, liquids, sky, etc) to tie it together

- Fights that get a lot out of small spaces or enemy counts, and in general are kinda "stylized" and maybe need some figuring out instead of just being able to run-n-gun your way through everything

- Reusing spaces for multiple fights, like having new things with monsters in them open up in places you were before as things progress

- Being able to kinda climb all over a level to explore it, as in, if you think you could jump to somewhere you probably can

- Optional content that rewards going out of your way to find it (like, being allowed to do a fight the "hard way" right away but able to better equip yourself for it and do it the "easy way" if you explore a bit, so you can put more thought into routing like that)

- Levels that don't feel super lengthy

- Levels that feel good to just exist in when the action's died down

- I find myself using turret/pillar enemies pretty often

- Green slime. Pipedark also

I struggle with coming up with layouts so I tend to have very linear short maps with kinda repetitive texturing.

I also have a problem with symmetry.

Posted (edited)
  • get a technical idea in my head that sounds stupid
  • vomit out lines in voodoo closets/control sectors
  • have some framing device for justifying the existence of said closets
  • hit the linedef limit and figure out optimisations for the voodoo closets/control sectors

I like this philosophy a lot.

I think the most impressive aspects of my maps are that you really feel like you're just exploring a small section of a greater world, rather than in classic Doom, where what it feels like you're doing is trekking through a series of linear, disconnected little fun parks full of demons. I achieve this primarily by prioritizing verticality and increasing the size of everything to make the player feel small, and additionally by hinting at inaccessible areas beyond the current playspace with unopenable doors and "line_horizon" linedefs

I kinda struggle to come up with ideas for maps and making designs

also I usually add way too many enemies and not enough ammo  

17 hours ago, Astar said:

I strive to give my maps a touch of horror and atmosphere.

For me, mapping, just like creating music, is a way of creative self-expression and an attempt to transfer my emotions, feelings and experiences into the game.

And sometimes I randomly get the urge to do the craziest thing in the world.

And, well, I make all my maps with the expectation that this is a contribution to my future dream game, because each map is a new unique experience and skills.

Inspiring and well said! I tend to put my emotions into my map I have been creating (I have only made one pretty much so far) and I think the atmosphere is crucial to doom. It is the thing that I feel like makes the game. Of course there is combat and whatnot, but it give a sense of purpose, and it makes you feel connected to the theme and story even. I also think that music is very important.

A good doom map, I feel like, has three parts.

1/3 - Gameplay (Fights, object placement, playability)

1/3 - Music that fits the vibe you are going for

1/3 - Level design (architecture, atmosphere, texturing and gadgets [switches, doors, etc]

I am pretty sure someone on youtube was explaining this...

I build a rough sketch of a map I want (on paper or on the map editor)
Add enemies
Add bonus features and secrets

Make sure map is balanced + difficulty settings
Decoration last - I always found gameplay > detail is more enjoyable

For me it's basically using the K.I.S.S factor when making maps.

Keep it simple, stupid.

Make area's either easy to get to or make them hard to figure out how to get to them.

If you make a secret room, closet, area or what ever.....make sure it had goodies in there worth the hunt looking for. 

[For doom 1] - Work with the limitations of the enemy roster, weapons and powerups.

[For doom 2] - Make the fights worth wild and not slug fests with the super shotgun.

Good balance of difficulty

Finally get feed back on your maps or watch people play them and listen to them complain about how much of an ass you are holding back stronger weapons.

Posted (edited)

I make a room. I work out how combat works for that room. When room is fun to play, I make another room. At the end, I connect them all, open some stuff up, balance, and pretend I had a plan the whole time.

Edited by whybmonotacrab

Generally: Fuck around and find out

More specifically: I make maps that are

• fun to run around in, - Doomguy goes zoomzoom, so make the zoomzoom feel good.
  • somewhat mazy but not confusing, - Mostly taken from The Shores of Hell's map design. It encourages exploring the map, looking for secrets and makes optional areas feel important as you're wandering around.
  • visually memorable, - I apply basic texturing early on while blocking out as I feel visuals are the key to making a map memorable. After all, it's what people are gonna see first!
  • and have a nice flow - I take inspiration from a lot of Quake's map design, as you tend to wrap around to previous areas of the map naturally.

Granted I haven't mapped in a while so this could change next time I map.

step 1: give player rocket launcher and 200/200

step 2: overdetail a room that's far too small

step 2: cram far too many revenants in it

1. Do whatever I want. No restrictions.

2. Make it work.

3. Make sure all fights can be beaten consistently. (Since platforming is movement based. It can always be done consistently since there’s no randomness)

I think all gameplay should, at least in theory, be possible to beat consistently. So I balance all of my designs around that by testing them and modifying them until I can do so.

I also don’t really like restrictions of any kind. Everything should always be on the table. That doesn’t mean everything will always be used but no game mechanic or idea I have will not be considered for use.

1: Start by brainstorming around the idea/gimmick of the map. Do some visual research if needed and experiment with the color palette;

3: If I'm planning a wad with several levels, it usually revolves around a narrative;

2: Start building rooms with a general idea of how fights will work and try to make it interesting to traverse;

3: Overdetail and go wild on doomcute. This map needs to feel like a credible and inhabited place (create new textures if needed);

4: Start planning combat. Just don't throw enemies randomly at the player. Work with fewer monsters and each one fills a specific role in the map (even lower tiers may be a danger);

5: Make it fun and fair, but not a walk in the park; 

6: Try to keep a good rhythm between combat and exploration;

7: Overdetail some more.  

There are 3 core elements I'm trying to at least instill one of in every map I make, that's cinematic dramatic shots (often done with lighting/contrast), hardcore gameplay, and speedrunning value. I've only tried developing the latter element recently and haven't publicly released anything with it, Sometimes I like to add in some lesser-used mapping techniques, such as playing with some of the light actions, using unusual floor/ceiling/242 movement, psuedo-invulns, teleporting enemies in one spot of a fight to another, turning a normal-ish map into one giant crusher, IWBTG type platforming, etc.. Through it all I try to make my maps something I haven't seen someone do before, I don't want someone to think of an entire map I've made and pin it all back on a single author I drew inspiration from, I want them to see that I tried to assemble original ideas and drew inspiration from authors I like as part of the process of gluing the ideas together into a map. And in my lower-effort "normal" maps I just try to make them really fun and speedrunnable. In terms of hardcore gameplay, in a lot of maps I've made/released, I include a huge drop into an area at some point because it goes hard asf and the view bob when you hit the bottom just hits a huge satisfactory spot that puts me in the zone to start cooking in a fight. I also spam a lot of cybers and viles and revs in hard fights, and try to make the area look dramatic/hardcore in some way.

I don't really expect many people to enjoy or care for most of my currently released maps, even most of my friends in the community, but I am proud of what I have made recently I think, they are unique enough from everything else I see people make imo, although I don't know if I have a style that others could pick up on distinctly. The 3 most directly identifiable concepts in my maps from an outside perspective is cyber/vile hordes, pseudo-invuln computer area maps, and light gradient spam.

Breakcore/DnB, I forgot to mention I have those tracks in a lot of maps I make now.

Generally I make maps that I would want to play. Which means short and straightforward maps. Most of the time they start with a single idea and then it's a stream of consciousness to fill it out into a level. 

I try to think of interesting and challenging monster compositions. You're unlikely to find a permutation that has never been used before but hey if I haven't used them before that's what matters. And sometimes I'll see something cool in another map and be like "I want to do that".

This might be controversial, but it feels like good game design if you can minimize the use of teleports. Finding clever ways of hiding enemies within the accessible level instead of relying on teleporters can make the map feel more like a real space, and gives you more opportunities for placing secrets and map progression. And I prefer to find ways of looping the map on itself physically instead of using teleporters to reset your position. That's just my preference (and I frequently don't follow it), and there are of course many clever ways of using teleporters.

Serialized. Basically creating short maps in batches based on ideas that I get randomly and note in my cellphone, then turn them into drawing sketches. After some iterations, I pick what I find most interesting and open doombuilder and create 5-10 playable maps with basic detailing. At last I go back again and add secrets and more thoughtful detailing.

My mapping philosophy is "do random shit until something works".

Posted (edited)

b1CZ0lS.png

If I take my last map,I like to fusion Doom universe with pseudo-realistic places. Overall, I like maps that make me forget that Doom is just a video game.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, EANB said:

This might be controversial, but it feels like good game design if you can minimize the use of teleports. Finding clever ways of hiding enemies within the accessible level instead of relying on teleporters can make the map feel more like a real space, and gives you more opportunities for placing secrets and map progression. And I prefer to find ways of looping the map on itself physically instead of using teleporters to reset your position.

Absolutely agree here, this is actually something I've been thinking about myself lately, but couldn't quite put into words! Both monster and player teleports have their place in map design (f.eg. for slower enemy dispensing and creating purposely confusing layouts), but you are imo absolutely correct that it is far more satisfying to rely on efficient map geometry, both from a player's and mapmaker's perspective.

Edited by Tiramisu

The Woody World Episodes/Maps (search Woody) have evolved a lot since I started mapping and learned a lot. 

Now, as I make larger and more advanced maps, typically I

1 - Think of a concept (like climbing a mountain, stuck in a city, going down a river, etc.)

2 - Maps out the area/full map on paper with container placeholders for building/sections etc. Also place weapons and keys.

3 - Put the start and exit on the map. I like the player to be able to see the exit from the start if possible so they have an idea where they will finish

4 - Plan out a general sequence for the player to go (i.e. has to get Red key from this area or throw that switch before they can go to area B, etc. (although there are multiple paths to finish)

4 - Take each area/section and flush that out on it's own paper (i.e. with door, floors, hallways, secrets, etc.) often monsters as well

5 - Select textures for that area and build that area

6 - Populate that area with monsters and items/ammo

7 - Test that area

8 - Once 4-7 done for all areas, do a pass to ensure uniformity/texture alignment and sequence works

9 - Playtest entire map, take many notes on problems

10 - fix problems and/or monsters/ammo balance, step 9 repeat until perfect

11 - Once Episode is complete, release to beta testers

12 - fix reported problems

13 - release on DoomWorld! 

In general, I avoid UAC tech base (too many out there) and hell/gruesome/corpses scenes/themes (yuk). I like more open spaces to run and explore multiple paths

Woody 

Posted (edited)

Replace STARTAN2 with any other texture as soon as the first sector is made

I like to create compact maps that loop around and reuse their spaces over multiple encounters. I also like infusing a little bit of doomcute to spice up the setting or sell the locale, but not too much.

However, I do feel like my style of maps may be a little cramped to most players (even though I try to adhere to a width of 128 to 192 units for most hallways) as personally I play with Always Run turned off. I might have to try making more expansive, or at least spacious maps. If only to experiment.