Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

Whenever I play a Terry wad (I very rarely play them... but when I do, it is really just a matter of if I feel like it or not) or watch videos on them, I ALWAYS have the volume turned down VERY low or on mute so I don't get startled.

I would love to map for vanilla but I really don't think I can make something interesting in vanilla limits.

Well actually, I made the TNT Revilution team so that means I can pull it off, I just need an idea of what to pull off.

I really need more ideas for inspiration.

For a long time, I always thought the dead marine sprite was lying on it's back facing up, as opposed to lying on his chest facing down. Yes, despite the fact the player death animation is clearly falling forward - my mind just always saw the line at the top of the helmet as a 'mouth' for some reason.

Magnusblitz said:

For a long time, I always thought the dead marine sprite was lying on it's back facing up, as opposed to lying on his chest facing down. Yes, despite the fact the player death animation is clearly falling forward - my mind just always saw the line at the top of the helmet as a 'mouth' for some reason.

I can relate to this, I was rather surprised when I saw the player die for the first time at the end of map 30.

When I was young, maybe 7 or 8, I would play Heresiarch's Seminary at the point where the Heresiarch actually activates and fights the player. I kept saving the game as the fight progressed in order to accumulate further Ettin and Bishop corpses on the floor. I guess it was like some climactic, bloody battle for me, using all the cheat codes, artifacts, and character classes I could muster. Eventually the program would crash because there were simply too many sprites on the screen.

I vividly recollect replicating a similar act on Doom 2 map30. Just saving the game over and over to accumulate ludicrous amounts of bodies on the map and massacring them repetitively with cheat codes. And for some reason it really freaked me out that lost souls could spawn themselves outside the confines of the map when a pain elemental exploded. I could no longer wander outside the confines of a map with idclip and be free from attacking monsters.

Cell said:

Most of this. I've never ever gotten myself into any of the modern FPS or even RPGs and so (also, RPG for me stands for DN3D's "Rocket Propelled Grenade" and nothing else, excluding the last sentence where I refer to "Role Playing Games").

To me, "RPG" stands for games you play with actual people, dice, beer, and salty snacks - you can't "play a role" by yourself. That videogames with stats and levels got called that is an unfortunate accident.

TheCupboard said:

And for some reason it really freaked me out that lost souls could spawn themselves outside the confines of the map when a pain elemental exploded. I could no longer wander outside the confines of a map with idclip and be free from attacking monsters.

Ah, good one. I've had a similar experience with that too.

That Sonic X-treme build release actually has some really nice foliage textures. At about Doom resolution, too.

I'm thinking of using them for more than a few things.

I played through all of Doom 2 in one sitting for the first time yesterday. The last time I even got close to this was in 1998, but my horrible old computer couldn't handle map 15 so I had to quit, then I played the rest of the levels over then next few years until I finally beat map 30 sometime in 2004. I tried to play though all of Doom 2 since then, but I usually got bored & quit around maps 9, 10 , or 11.

damerell said:

To me, "RPG" stands for games you play with actual people, dice, beer, and salty snacks - you can't "play a role" by yourself. That videogames with stats and levels got called that is an unfortunate accident.

Has a point, but I'm still stuck to DN3D's rocket launcher. *Stubborn*

I tend to pull away from Cacodemons and Demons while using the chainsaw, as it makes them slightly less likely to counter it.

I also push towards high-painchance monsters with the chaingun for some reason.

I really love the strafetilt mod for GZDoom, it makes moving around slightly more natural feeling.

My biggest trouble with this game is getting caught up on walls while avoiding monsters.

I fucking hate slaughtermaps with a passion. They're so boring.

No Rest for the Living is my favorite mapset.

I avoid megawads like the plague.

I thought that after you finished map29 you got a victory text thing that prepared you for the boss level, until I beat DooM II again in 2006. :P

I was quite upset when the BOSSBACK thingy just repeated from the beginning after killing "Our Hero". I was expecting more from a victory screen than just a stupid "cast'n'crew massacre for buttonpush".

He didn't say it was an exact track.

I see, any repetitive video/audio/anything (even an action one, like D_E1M9 is) can make a person lose his attention to the point of feeling sleepy. I think I know this.

I had the other way around. I was once falling asleep, and then I decided to put Doom music on. It was first episode in Steve Rot’s recreation. Doom 1 had a rather uncharacteristic music for me then, so it was a good nap.

I like to think I'm a good player but I'm ashamed to admit I don't have very much proof of it. Despite how well I know the game, I die pretty frequently, and for embarrassing reasons, which makes me skittish about sharing FDAs sometimes.

Truth is I often lose touch with my movement speed, the effects of friction when strafing back and forth, and my look sensitivity between the times I play, and as such, I usually need an hour or two to warm up before playing most stuff released these days before I get to a good comfortable level of playing. But at times im too impatient to replay known levels just to warm up and jump right into recording my plays of new maps, and dying and getting frustrated often.

If not for savegame abusing, I would have got pissed on Doom many years ago and started looking for something else.