Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

Zandronum's community may suck at some times.

Someone else's friends (other than your own friends) may suck (in your eyes) at some times.

Every branch of the Doom community has it's share of cool, down to earth people, and then there are the dipshits. It doesn't matter what port or forum, you're going to see both from time to time.

I never play on nightmare.

Doomkid said:

Every branch of the Doom community has it's share of cool, down to earth people, and then there are the dipshits. It doesn't matter what port or forum, you're going to see both from time to time.

Dip in me, babeh !

I can't stand having an uneven amount of shells in Doom 2.

If I have an odd number, I waste a single shotgun shell to even it out again.

40oz said:

I like to think I'm a good player but I'm ashamed to admit I don't have very much proof of it. Despite how well I know the game, I die pretty frequently, and for embarrassing reasons, which makes me skittish about sharing FDAs sometimes.

Truth is I often lose touch with my movement speed, the effects of friction when strafing back and forth, and my look sensitivity between the times I play, and as such, I usually need an hour or two to warm up before playing most stuff released these days before I get to a good comfortable level of playing. But at times im too impatient to replay known levels just to warm up and jump right into recording my plays of new maps, and dying and getting frustrated often.

I'd like to regard myself as a not-so-bad speed runner (but definitely not in the top tier) but indeed I also need a quite bit of time to warm up, usually dying a lot in the process. I think that's why I suck so much in FDA contests.

I have a terrible habit of taking shit maps with some potential to be fun, and then spending way too much time on cleaning them up and making them not shit.

Kotzugi said:

I'd like to regard myself as a not-so-bad speed runner (but definitely not in the top tier) but indeed I also need a quite bit of time to warm up, usually dying a lot in the process. I think that's why I suck so much in FDA contests.

Can you link to some of these FDA contests? Search (including Google filtered for DW) isn't helping beyond threads I'm already aware of, like the FDA thread in the demo section and various stray threads in W&M.

I've been on a FDA kick lately -- I haven't been counting, but it has to be >100 in the past three weeks, not including rewatches. It's been kind of fun learning how a variety of people play in unfamiliar settings.

BaronOfStuff said:

I have a terrible habit of taking shit maps with some potential to be fun, and then spending way too much time on cleaning them up and making them not shit.

Ask the ones who tried to redo Journey to Hell.

[EDIT]

I accidentally named one of my CP works after a villain from Teen Titans, without even knowing about her 'existence'. :D
http://teentitans.wikia.com/wiki/Blackfire

rdwpa said:

Can you link to some of these FDA contests? Search (including Google filtered for DW) isn't helping beyond threads I'm already aware of, like the FDA thread in the demo section and various stray threads in W&M.

Search for "demo contest" or "fdc" in thread names on the forum:

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/search.php?action=showresults&searchid=664427&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/search.php?action=showresults&searchid=664429&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

My confession is that after all this time, I'm not that great a player. I'm decent enough to play through most maps (those that aren't targeted toward the hardest core of players). I abuse the save system a lot. Mapping is more my thing.

Super Flip said:

I can't stand having an uneven amount of shells in Doom 2.

If I have an odd number, I waste a single shotgun shell to even it out again.

Sounds like someone has OCD. At least you don't wash your hands until they bleed. Then again, maybe you do.

rdwpa said:

Can you link to some of these FDA contests?

Scifista's got the answer. I took part in about two of them. Still fun, but I've learned not to expect too much from myself.

The only time I beat Ultimate DOOM and DOOM 2 on Ultra-Violence were because I was attempting to 100% the achievements.

I only needed 100 Deathmatch frags before that dream was a reality, until some asshole hacked my email account, and all achievements I earned for 4 years, and all my games' save data, were gone...

Back to square one... -.-

Whenever I run rapidly upstairs in the game - particularly when the steps' height difference is between 16 and 24 units -, I swear I can feel my shin bone aching like it knocked straight against a stairstep corner.

SonicandTails58 said:

I only needed 100 Deathmatch frags before that dream was a reality, until some asshole hacked my email account, and all achievements I earned for 4 years, and all my games' save data, were gone...

Back to square one... -.-

I'll DM you some time if you want if you ever decide to play again, I honestly feel like playing my XBL copies again.

The music from E1M1 is my least favorite music from the soundtrack is Into Sandy's City.

Avoozl said:

I find D_RUNNIN much more annoying on repeat than E1M1.

Me too... probably because of mapping things (always mapping MAP01 and listening to D_RUNNIN while testing)

TraceOfSpades said:

The music from E1M1 is my least favorite music from the soundtrack is Into Sandy's City.

What

TraceOfSpades said:

Jaxxoon R said:

What

Yes, I too am curious..

Ledillman said:

Me too... probably because of mapping things (always mapping MAP01 and listening to D_RUNNIN while testing)

It really kills the mood. I have "-nomusic" on by default in GZDB.

I find both D-RUNNIN and E1M1 equally annoying and jarring.

When I first started playing Doom it was on the Amiga. Along with Doom, I'd play the Gloom games, Alien Breed 3D, Fears, Testament et al. Few of these games had any music and those that did went for more ambient stuff. The only port of Doom I could get running well was ADoom and that didn't support music either. I liked the still, eerie corridors and rooms.

When I finally got a PC, the first thing I did was put Doom on it. Then this 'metal' came blasting out of that shitty, tinny, little speaker beeping and booping like R2D" on meth. That completely broke the atmosphere for me and to this day I still have bad dreams about it.

Even now, I prefer to use the PSXTC, PSXSM, Doom64 and Quake soundtracks while playing... There was another ambient pak released recently. I dl'd it but now I can't find it and I can't remember who made it! I'm looking forward to stumbling over it again sometime though.

I'm not as up to date on these things as many of you here, but isn't it fairly popular to prefer the PSX soundtrack? If it's not an equal split then there's a sizable minority that does.

TraceOfSpades said:

Your statement doesn't make sense is what soundtrack? There are two predicates in one sentence is nonsense and confusing.

Lately I've been messing up the timing of arch-vile attacks sometimes. First sign of getting older?

Memfis said:

Lately I've been messing up the timing of arch-vile attacks sometimes. First sign of getting older?

It's time to retire dude. Here, play some of these text adventures intead:
http://ifarchive.org/

Average said:

When I finally got a PC, the first thing I did was put Doom on it. Then this 'metal' came blasting out of that shitty, tinny, little speaker beeping and booping like R2D" on meth. That completely broke the atmosphere for me and to this day I still have bad dreams about it.

I had real stereo system and nice speakers when I first played Doom, so it sounded good (even though it was just a regular 8-bit SoundBlaster card, and later a PAS-16). I once played it with sound going to MIDI synth/keyboard, and that was really amazing!

I sometimes play Doom without music but it's a bit too dead like that. It doesn't compare well to old Amiga games like Hired Guns, or later stuff like Quake, which all had nice ambient sounds and don't need music at all. Actually I always turn music off in Quake.