Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
matador

DBP54: Steamy Bathhouse

Looks great! I love the arabic theming here. The blue and brown stoneworks in particular are giving me Quake 1 Wizard feels. Can't wait to dig in.

really fun theme, congrats to all the mappers and thanks to matador for leading.

I'm six maps in and I'm constantly delighted by the little tricks, visual flourishes, and effects put into this WAD. KZiKZiZD (most deservedly) will take the crown for "most impressive vanilla Doom hacking" but this year's DBPs have been consistently punching above their weight class in terms of not just doing things with limit-removing Doom that aren't quite standard but also making them feel good. There's a sense of style to this WAD that's sublime (and really you can say that about most of the DBP WADs dropped this year).

Edited by segfault

By far my favorite DBP I participated in, the respack is flawlessly curated and aesthetically the maps take a lot of chances  outside the usual Doom 'comfort zone'. 

Only played a little so far but I'm loving it.

Great release!

Hope everyone's enjoying it so far. I've updated the OP to v1.2. This mostly concerns ZDoom users as there was a MAPINFO error that caused it to skip over MAP04. The other fixes are pretty minor.

Changes:

- Fixed a ZMAPINFO bug.

- Minor graphical touch-ups.

- Various slime trail / texture misalignment fixes.

You guys just dont disappoint. Ive only played 8 DBPS so far but they have quickly become my go to mapsets when i want to play something that I KNOW I'll enjoy. Ive pretty much decided that im going to  have to play through all of them and anytime a new one drops it becomes the next thing im going to play. I'd like to make a detailed review of the bathhouse but it would take too long and start reading like a short story because i liked all of the maps so much, theres too much to say. I feel like i want to say something special about map 3 but really every map deserves its own praise. I dont have anything bad to say at all. Thank you all!!!!

I was lurking thinking of whether I was going to get a level out for this one. Unfortunately I didn't, but congrats fellas. Wad looks great.

Noy sure you're quite aware but you can't pick up the red key in Map 01 if you trigger the trap here and then drop down before picking it up.

1 hour ago, LadyMistDragon said:

Noy sure you're quite aware but you can't pick up the red key in Map 01 if you trigger the trap here and then drop down before picking it up.

You mean if you jump to the red key platform and trigger the ambush but don't grab the key? I was able to jump to the red key again via the doorway to the west in this area.

16 hours ago, BiZ said:

You mean if you jump to the red key platform and trigger the ambush but don't grab the key? I was able to jump to the red key again via the doorway to the west in this area.

Seems a little awkward but ok

5 hours ago, LadyMistDragon said:

Seems a little awkward but ok

I mean its just the same jump as the first time, but you may have to clear off some enemies so they don't height block you i guess.

Played this tonight and had a blast.  Love the aesthetic, the maps all played well, and the MIDI choices fit perfectly.  I was especially blown away by Map 04, Hansa's Rise.  It was a perfect little adventure map with a satisfying payoff.  Great stuff!

As an aside; when run with mods, this causes the start room to be flooded with Nazi's which turn into pots and chandeliers on death (lol).

5 minutes ago, eharper256 said:

As an aside; when run with mods, this causes the start room to be flooded with Nazi's which turn into pots and chandeliers on death (lol).

Yeah, lots of DeHackEd switcheroos, not really designed for mods.

Solid work as usual, I played on UV in GZdoom 4.10.0 and I noticed some problems in RC1.2:

MAP05:

Line 2854 has no first side.
Line 2870 has no first side.
Unknown middle texture 'SW' on second side of linedef 5888
Line 2854's right edge is unconnected

MAP06: some imps in the arena can be seen through the floor. I think it's the ones behind the fence, they rise when you use the second switch.

And Gzdoom reports these error during startup:

Script error, "DBP_54_RC1.2.wad:GLDEFS" line 113:
Warning: dynamic lights attached to non-existent actor Afrit

Script error, "DBP_54_RC1.2.wad:GLDEFS" line 146:
Warning: dynamic lights attached to non-existent actor CeilingBrazier

More great work in this one.  Pretty strange theme idea but it absolutely works - the eastern steambath look is quite beautiful and enemies appearing in clouds of steam is kinda hilarious.  I like the pretty laid back difficulty in the first 4 maps - it's really about having fun exploring, in many cases through fairly open, non-linear levels.  Definitely looking to finish this one!

26 minutes ago, LadyMistDragon said:

You missed a wonderful opportunity to wrap the Arch-viles in towels, just sayin'

I imagined this: Archvile sometimes spreads his legs so much that a towel would fall off him every time either he was attacking or got stunned. And then there are two problems: it has to be drawn and dehacked how he pulls the towel back on, and he won't do it instantly, so he can become significantly more vulnerable to the player. This might be a cool idea by the way, like something new to add fun to fights. I've taken a note and might try to do that, there should be plenty of time before the next possible bathing project