Mancubus
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom General > Things about Doom you just found out
Pages (72): [1] 2 3 4 » ... Last »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 16:42. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Sigvatr
Banned

Recently I found out that arachnotrons make a passive growling noise while walking around. It's one of the sounds that can be played when you press Y to confirm that you want to quit the game. I could never pick this out from their foot stomping.

To me it would make more sense if they had no passive sound and this was their "injured" sound.

Would it be difficult to modify this in ZDoom?

Old Post 09-23-11 16:30 #
Sigvatr is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
SeanWJF

The Berserk pack lasts the whole level.

Quality of life significantly improved.

Old Post 09-23-11 16:32 #
SeanWJF is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Encryptic

SeanWJF said:
The Berserk pack lasts the whole level.

Quality of life significantly improved.

Until your heart explodes prematurely from all the stimulants (UAC didn't expect anyone using a berserk pack to live very long so they didn't study the long-term effects).

Old Post 09-23-11 16:44 #
Encryptic is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
NiuHaka

huh... I just now found out that the arachnotrons make a passive growling noise while walking around.

Last edited by NiuHaka on 09-23-11 at 17:45

Old Post 09-23-11 17:12 #
NiuHaka is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Phobus
Forum Stapler

Sigvatr said:
Would it be difficult to modify this in ZDoom?

Nope - SNDEFS could be used to do it without even editing the DECORATE definitions I reckon.

Old Post 09-23-11 17:39 #
Phobus is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
I'myourtarget

That punching Spider Masterminds with 1% health is very difficult. Just saying.

Old Post 09-23-11 21:26 #
I'myourtarget is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
esselfortium
A Major Doomworld Concern

Today I just noticed that in Doom II, MAP04: The Focus and MAP05: The Waste Tunnels both end in nearly the same way. A yellow key-locked exit door on the other side of a rising bridge, with the key placed directly in front of the bridge so as to make it nearly impossible during normal gameplay to approach the door without already having its key. In MAP04, the bridge is raised by the player pressing a switch, and in MAP05 it's raised automatically by a walkover.

MAP06: The Crusher ends similarly, with a rising bridge to a yellow key-locked exit door, but there the player at least has to exert a little bit of effort to get the key.

It's never a good sign when you've run out of ideas already by the end of the fourth map. No wonder American pretty much gave up after the first episode.

Old Post 09-23-11 21:41 #
esselfortium is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Maes
I like big butts!

I only recently discovered that the SSG sounds are supposed to be played back at 22 KHz. TBQH I find that they give the SSG a much more badass sound when played at 11 KHz, like I'm currently doing in Mocha Doom :-p

Old Post 09-23-11 22:11 #
Maes is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
40oz
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Demons cannot instigate infighting.

Old Post 09-24-11 07:37 #
40oz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Xaser
Forum Staple

Some random things I'd managed to miss for years and years:

- In Doom the First, FWATER1 is primarily an E3 texture. It never appears in E1 and is featured in a grand total of two sectors in all of E2 (the wavy inaccessible area through a window in E2M5 and the soulsphere sector in E2M9).

- PLANET1 is used only two or three times in the entire IWAD (excluding any E4 uses). Besides the rooms in E1M1 and E2M7, it's only in (I believe) E2M2, as an odd trim texture for some computer panels. Blame Essel for this spread of knowledge. :P

- Arch-vile attacks do splash damage.

- E2M5 has neither keys nor locked doors.

- Sandy Petersen maps (sans maybe the ones in E2 with FWATER1 in them) rock.

Old Post 09-24-11 11:33 #
Xaser is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
hex11
Forum Staple

Doom doesn't have SFALL1-4, or for that matter any kind of liquid falling textures (those are only in Doom II). I really wanted a nukage fall, so tried to get a similar effect using steps with SLADRIP1 lower texture:
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/2885/sfall.png
There's a tiny nukage pool at the bottom of each mini-fall, that flows down into a drain to the lower tier. It was a bit time-consuming to setup (y-offsets by hand) but I don't know any other way to get similar effect...

Old Post 09-24-11 13:23 #
hex11 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

There are two transparent pixels in Doom II's city sky:
http://i.imgur.com/27FNX.gif

You'll notice that the pic seems fine if you fill these holes with color #255. Another proof (along with the alpha image formats) that the Id guys used this color as the transparent color in their image converter. When digitizing the source picture, this was probably the nearest palette color to what the source picture had there.

Old Post 09-24-11 15:29 #
Gez is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Sigvatr
Banned

40oz said:

They are also really bad at infighting.

Old Post 09-24-11 15:33 #
Sigvatr is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
fraggle
Filled with the code of Doom

Did you know that John Romero built the level Perfect Hatred in six hours?

Old Post 09-24-11 16:08 #
fraggle is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Hellbent
Forum Bellend

Sigvatr said:
Recently I found out that arachnotrons make a passive growling noise while walking around. It's one of the sounds that can be played when you press Y to confirm that you want to quit the game. I could never pick this out from their foot stomping.
It's not really a growling sound, it's more of a robot-mechanical sound, no?

esselfortium said:
Today I just noticed that in Doom II, MAP04: The Focus and MAP05: The Waste Tunnels both end in nearly the same way [and that] MAP06: The Crusher ends similarly, with a rising bridge to a yellow key-locked exit door....

It's never a good sign when you've run out of ideas already by the end of the fourth map. No wonder American pretty much gave up after the first episode.

This is another reason Doom 2 left a bad impression on me when I first played it (not sure why you would only realize these repeated themes now :p)

40oz said:
W T F ! fo'reezle?

fraggle said:
Nope! One more reason Romero is my hero. For Dep4TWID someone will have to bang out a Romero-esque map in six hours
for true authenticity.

What I realized recently about Doom is that you can keep the bridge on Limbo from lowering if you go into the blood maze before hitting the switch near the blue skull-key. EDIT: in other words, hit the switch next to the one in blood after going into the blood maze and the bridge will remain for the entire level.

Last edited by Hellbent on 09-25-11 at 09:28

Old Post 09-24-11 16:19 #
Hellbent is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
TomoAlien

hex11 said:
Doom doesn't have SFALL1-4, or for that matter any kind of liquid falling textures (those are only in Doom II). I really wanted a nukage fall, so tried to get a similar effect using steps with SLADRIP1 lower texture:
-img-
There's a tiny nukage pool at the bottom of each mini-fall, that flows down into a drain to the lower tier. It was a bit time-consuming to setup (y-offsets by hand) but I don't know any other way to get similar effect...

You know that Doom and Doom 2 share the animated textures/flats list, right? So you can take the Doom 2's nukage fall texture and put it into your WAD and here you go.

Last edited by TomoAlien on 09-24-11 at 21:55

Old Post 09-24-11 16:21 #
TomoAlien is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Hellbent
Forum Bellend

That on E2M6 there is no ceil height difference when ceil textures change at the entrance of the dark area (it goes from light gray to wood). And that I was wrong about the plasma rifle only being attainable via secrets in the entire game (sans that addon episode released after Doom 2). You can get it in the dark area without finding a secret. But this is the only place in all of Doom. (The plasma rifle on E3M6 is technically in a secret sector).

Old Post 09-24-11 17:19 #
Hellbent is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
hex11
Forum Staple

TomoAlien said:

You know that Doom and Doom 2 share the animated textures/flats list, right? So you can take the Doom 2's nukage fall texture and put it into your WAD and here you go.

I forgot to mention: this is pure vanilla map for Undeath '94 project. Only stuff in IWAD can be used. But until now I thought SFALL was already in there...

Old Post 09-24-11 17:54 #
hex11 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
NoobBait

I just found out a cacodemon can be killed in 5 shotgun shots today

Old Post 09-25-11 01:37 #
NoobBait is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Megamur

-I found out that using multi-patch textures as middle textures on a 2S line makes vanilla DOOM blow up.

-I found out that you can add flats to vanilla DOOM by adding F_END to your WAD (without using F_START), though I haven't tested this to make sure.

-I've found out that hiding behind a door that demons can't open (locked doors, primarily) and repeatedly opening it partway and then closing it is a great way to cause lots of infighting without having to move or get shot at.

Old Post 09-25-11 01:40 #
Megamur is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Bashe
Forum Staple

I just recently learned about the teleport that opens in map08 to allow co-oping players to exit the map if someone screws up the intended exit.

Old Post 09-25-11 01:42 #
Bashe is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
J-selva

Bashe said:
I just recently learned about the teleport that opens in map08 to allow co-oping players to exit the map if someone screws up the intended exit.

In single player, just run onto the first lowering platform and immediately retract; it shouldn't be too hard to do and once you get back, simply go to that teleport.

Old Post 09-25-11 02:53 #
J-selva is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Megamur

Map08 has such a cheap ending. I'm glad the GBA port of the game just has a teleporter inside the pit if you screw up. Who wants to beat an entire level just to die in a hole right in front of the exit?

Old Post 09-25-11 02:59 #
Megamur is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
valkiriforce
Forum Regular

fraggle said:

LOL, seriously every time I go there...

Old Post 09-25-11 04:27 #
valkiriforce is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
yellowmadness54

I just learned that Doom II's level design is antiquated.

Old Post 09-25-11 05:38 #
yellowmadness54 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
EnroyPaldesto

Found out that Doom 3 on Veteran is insanely easy. Guess I'm too used to Plutonia on UV.

Old Post 09-25-11 09:20 #
EnroyPaldesto is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
phobosdeimos1

I just found out you can add or take away sprite frame angles in BOOM, if only you could add Sprite frames :( Bex Editing would reach a new level

Old Post 09-26-11 01:09 #
phobosdeimos1 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Hectic
Mini-Member

DOOM's startup menu has a Baron of Hell, Demon, and gibbing Zombieman in the background.

Old Post 09-26-11 04:38 #
Hectic is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Mithran Denizen

The Doom 64 imp actor is nearly twice as wide as the Doom 64 baron/hellknight. It's actually a little jarring to see the size difference between them in DB64.

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/2700/d64compar1.png

Old Post 09-26-11 05:04 #
Mithran Denizen is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Grain of Salt
Forum Regular

Last edited by Grain of Salt on 06-01-12 at 16:06

Old Post 09-26-11 05:32 #
Grain of Salt is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote