Reaper Grimm
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Misc. > Everything Else > Disney buys Star Wars, plans to release Ep. VII in 3 years.
Pages (5): « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 10:41. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Krispy

Bucket said:
Star Wars was ruined since Episode VI.
No skin off my back. Star Trek is still superior in every way.

^This. But it's only a matter of time before Disney buys that too.

Old Post 10-31-12 03:24 #
Krispy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Death Egg
Forum Regular

Krispy said:

^This. But it's only a matter of time before Disney buys that too.

Not on Viacom/Paramounts watch.

I don't know why people are making a big deal out of Disney being the ones that bought them. Disney bought Marvel a few years back, that seemed to turn out fine. I mean, if Episode VII doesn't have Lucas at the helm, the chances of it being way better already skyrocket.

Old Post 10-31-12 03:33 #
Death Egg is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Technician
Still no custom title

I agree. Disney doesn't appear to be projecting their ideals on their newly acquired franchises. Quite Frankly, the best works that came from Star Wars were written/directed without George. When George interferes, you get Jedi Returns.

Old Post 10-31-12 03:51 #
Technician is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DoOmEr4LiFe
DoOm TiL dEaTh

Death Egg said:

I mean, if Episode VII doesn't have Lucas at the helm, the chances of it being way better already skyrocket.

My reaction would have been akin to several other members had this not been the case. I am hopeful for this believe it or not, I think it has far more potential than the prequel trilogy, which Lucas rolled critical fumble after critical fumble making.

What has me really curious is in what ways the official Star Wars universe canon is going to rape all the years upon years of building the Expanded Universe beyond RotJ. Makes me wonder if we will see Mara Jade and the like or will all that be erased?

Last edited by DoOmEr4LiFe on 10-31-12 at 07:36

Old Post 10-31-12 06:09 #
DoOmEr4LiFe is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DoomUK
Forum Staple

Bucket said:
Star Trek is still superior in every way.

One is science fiction, the other is science fantasy. How can you really compare them?

Old Post 10-31-12 09:20 #
DoomUK is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Phobus
Forum Staple

I don't see the big deal here. I'll see what Episode VII is liike in 3 years and then voice an opinion.

Old Post 10-31-12 09:27 #
Phobus is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Quasar

Guys seriously, how much more damage can they do?

http://i.imgur.com/vAvNe.jpg

Old Post 10-31-12 11:46 #
Quasar is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DeathevokatioN
Forum Staple

Jonas Brothers soundtrack?

Old Post 10-31-12 11:55 #
DeathevokatioN is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Sodaholic
I feel justified yet disgusted with myself at the same time

I just want them to release the original theatrical cuts in Bluray, beyond that, I really don't give a crap.

Old Post 10-31-12 13:41 #
Sodaholic is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
188DarkRevived
Banned

DoOmEr4LiFe said:
What has me really curious is in what ways the official Star Wars universe canon is going to rape all the years upon years of building the Expanded Universe beyond RotJ. Makes me wonder if we will see Mara Jade and the like or will all that be erased?

There's enough material in the Expanded Universe to make at least three new trilogies of movies. (i.e. at least 9 new full-feature films!)
Therefore, it would be very profitable for Disney to do. If they refuse to do it then it will be one of the biggest mistakes in their career and their mailboxes will be filled with more hatemail than Jabba the Hutt gets from all of his business partners.

Old Post 10-31-12 15:14 #
188DarkRevived is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Eris Falling
Forum Staple

188DarkRevived said:
There's enough material in the Expanded Universe to make at least three new trilogies of movies. (i.e. at least 9 new full-feature films!)

Yay..

Old Post 10-31-12 15:29 #
Eris Falling is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
eargosedown
Forum Regular

Dunno how many/if any of you are pimple faced nerds read the EU lore from the books and stuff, but discussing most of the ideas from the EU books into movies (assuming disney is faithful to them somewhat) I'm of the opinion that the first 4 books in the X-Wing series would probably work best because:

*You only have one main character that is present in the original trilogy (Wedge Antilles)
*You have a a pseudo-Luke Skywalker in younger form within the character of Corran Horn.
*It has the Jedi element to it, but it's muted and takes a back seat in the beginning to actual techy combat (X-wings and Tie fighters)
*It has a tacked on love story.
*It shows how Coruscant falls to the rebellion.
*It has a good arc in the sense of first part with a big victory (Coruscant falling), a low point middle (Lusankya prison + Krytos Virus raping errbody out there) and a high point ending (Le Jedi Horn, and Isard "dying")

It could translate pretty well to a trilogy.

Old Post 10-31-12 18:09 #
eargosedown is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

Quasar said:
Guys seriously, how much more damage can they do?
I love that series; it may thrive on Star Wars cliches ("I have a bad feeling about this"), but since I love Star Wars, I can only be happy when they make an ongoing and canon series about it. At least its episodes aren't laughably short like in Tartakovsky's "Clone Wars" miniseries, and a lot of fights (and deaths) are happening in this Cartoon Network aired series.

How could Disney possibly flop the new Star Wars film, when its universe has been expanded and developped so much by novels already? It's not like they have a lot of freedom to fuck around and make a shitty plot that ruins everything before it, can they…?

Old Post 10-31-12 18:13 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Mr. Freeze
etc.

This news made my year, and probably next year as well. I cannot fucking wait, it's gonna rock.

Bucket said:
Star Trek is still superior in every way.

Star Trek is stupid post-scarcity utopia shlock, redeemed only by Voyager.

Old Post 10-31-12 18:29 #
Mr. Freeze is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Enjay
ASK ME ABOUT FOOTBALL / STEAM / DEAD CELEBRITIES / THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT

DoomUK said:

One is science fiction, the other is science fantasy. How can you really compare them?

Because they both have the word "Star" in the title, silly.

Seriously, so many people can't even seem to tell the difference and that's about all I can put it down to.

DoOmEr4LiFe said:
What has me really curious is in what ways the official Star Wars universe canon is going to rape all the years upon years of building the Expanded Universe beyond RotJ.

Total and utter annihilation I hope. Frankly, I'd rather have the little mermaid swimming around in the Kamino seas than have most of the utter fanboy toss that is the EU made into a movie.

Old Post 10-31-12 19:06 #
Enjay is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Technician
Still no custom title

Mr. Freeze said:
redeemed only by Voyager.
Nigga, you trollin'?

Old Post 10-31-12 19:21 #
Technician is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
scalliano
This door is opened elsewhere...

Bucket said:
Star Wars was ruined since Episode VI.
No skin off my back. Star Trek is still superior in every way.

Boys from the Dwarf, smegheads.

Old Post 10-31-12 19:59 #
scalliano is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Eris Falling
Forum Staple

Heh, not really that into Red Dwarf, although I haven't really seen the revived series, only that they look pretty much the exact same as they did in the '80s.

I should watch a few of them when I get the time..

Old Post 10-31-12 20:12 #
Eris Falling is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Glaice
formerly Mr. Chris

Related to Avoozl's response..

Old Post 10-31-12 23:05 #
Glaice is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Snakes

Technician said:
Nigga, you trollin'?

Srsly. If anything, DS9 was clearly the Star Trek that ditched the utopian tones and shifted the franchise in a darker direction.

Old Post 10-31-12 23:26 #
Snakes is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Mogul

Enjay said:
Frankly, I'd rather have the little mermaid swimming around in the Kamino seas than have most of the utter fanboy toss that is the EU made into a movie.

I can't really disagree, here. All this shit about the original characters' kids and reviving the Emperor like 15 times, Darth Maul coming back with robot legs, and so on, just begs for eye-rolling. There are some good books, comics, and games that contribute to SW in genuinely valuable and tasteful ways, but most of the biggest events feel like the kind of shit they throw into a TV show in its dying seasons after it's run its course (i.e. Chachi on Happy Days).

Old Post 10-31-12 23:45 #
Mogul is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Avoozl
Forum Staple

I wonder how Ep7 would work out if they focused on Kyle Katarn as the main hero.

Old Post 11-01-12 00:17 #
Avoozl is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DooMAD
Bitcoin IS a religion.

Snakes said:

Srsly. If anything, DS9 was clearly the Star Trek that ditched the utopian tones and shifted the franchise in a darker direction.

As long as everyone agrees 'Enterprise' was the worst one, that's all that matters.

Old Post 11-01-12 00:22 #
DooMAD is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Eris Falling
Forum Staple

@Avoozl

Exactly the same as the other ones. Roughly an hour of screen time first, then a plan, then enemy base infiltration, then a massive fight. Overall they will win, although one protagonist could die.

Old Post 11-01-12 00:22 #
Aleaver
Can't spll

DooMAD said:

As long as everyone agrees 'Enterprise' was the worst one, that's all that matters.

Agreed

Old Post 11-01-12 01:06 #
Aleaver is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
fraggle
Filled with the code of Doom

Only way I can see this working is if Joss Whedon directs the new films.

Old Post 11-01-12 01:42 #
fraggle is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
chungy

DooMAD said:

Nope. Voyager was the worst by far. Enterprise is somewhat redeemed by its fourth season.

Old Post 11-01-12 01:46 #
chungy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
General Rainbow Bacon
may have been DoomHero85 at some point

....and The Next Generation was the best.

Old Post 11-01-12 02:11 #
General Rainbow Bacon is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
188DarkRevived
Banned

eargosedown said:
Dunno how many/if any of you are pimple faced nerds read the EU lore from the books and stuff, but discussing most of the ideas from the EU books into movies (assuming disney is faithful to them somewhat) I'm of the opinion that the first 4 books in the X-Wing series would probably work best.

I'd want to see Grand Admiral Thrawn at some point somewhere, and then I'd want to see how Luke establishes the new Jedi Academy on Yavin4, and then I'd want to see how he meets Mara and wins her over.
The rest is somehow less important to me for some reason. I don't really consider myself the king of the nerds, cause I've seen people who dig way way deeper than me into this stuff.

Old Post 11-01-12 02:34 #
188DarkRevived is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Clonehunter
Forum Staple

Avoozl said:
I wonder how Ep7 would work out if they focused on Kyle Katarn as the main hero.

As much as I love Kyle Katarn, I would rather just have another Dark Forces game. (And for the love of Christ bring back Jason Court if they do, I'm begging for his return to the series).

Old Post 11-01-12 03:40 #
Clonehunter is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote