Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

What are you playing now?

I just beat the last 4 levels of Going Down on UV today. What a wild ride that was. Not gonna lie, I had to cheat a bit to beat MAP28, it was too much for me. Episode 3 is a masterpiece. Definitely looking forward to anything mouldy does in the future.

Now, though, I'm resuming a playthrough of Epic 2, also on UV. Gotta say, it's a big of a change of pace. I'm almost through with Episode 1 and it's been much nicer than some of the early Going Down maps. Lots of fun secrets, simple traps, etc. that let me play how I usually play: slow and methodical.

Going Down does not allow for that at all. Honestly this is probably a good thing, though. It's really easy to disregard a mapset if it doesn't cater to your usual play style.

I played good old doom 2 recently, just to see how easy it is nowadays. I have to say, it has a lot more pain elementals and chaingunners than I remember. More enemies in general in fact, but that might be due to racing through it faster. Some of the maps have an impressive amount of carnage when you are hacking through without a care, and some are even quite dangerous still.

Still couldn't be arsed with the IOS though.

Just been playing basic Doom 1 recently, also checking out some Urban Brawl...I played it before but never went very far.

Finished off two WADs tonight:

Whitemare 2 on HMP, which I started for the Megawad Club back last summer, but gave up on at MAP20 (F@#$ that.) I started poking at it in November, and just played through the last 6 maps yesterday and today. MAP25 was really cool, a very neat concept; and maps 28 and 30 (that music!) were just a blast. Really, aside from maps 19, 20, and 24 (with 20 being the only one I gave up on) this was a really fun set. I'll have to make room to play Whitemare 1 now, at some point...

Infinity on UV, rounding out the Serenity Trilogy from last month's Club play. Granted that nostalgia plays a huge part in my enjoyment of these levels (and I'll be honest, I was slightly disappointed by a number of them this last playthrough) but I still absolutely loved the last 5-6 maps of Infinity. Dat "Jump" MIDI...

Hell To Pay

I've played it before but I'm running through it again recording demos for my demo library. It's great up until about two thirds into it when you get to "the hell planet." Almost entirely populated with damage sponge monsters making you use over 200 shells with the SSG each map. Mackey McCandlish fucking loves Pain Elementals too. There's one in almost every room of MAP22! I wouldn't care as much if Hell to Pay didn't use such awful monster sprite replacements that are offset all wrong. I suspect HTP was supposed to come with a dehacked patch that changes monster sounds and behavior because everything the monsters appearances and behavior are suspiciously poorly designed.

I highly recommend playing Hell to Pay without the new sprites, it becomes a lot better this way imo. :p

Been running through the Cacoaward winners ever since they were announced. Going Down was excellent, as was the Adventures of Square. Currently playing Resurgence, up to map13 and it is excellent as well so far.

In my ongoing attempt to complete megawads that I've started but haven't finished, I finally polished off Reverie (HMP) last night. It was good. I think there were a couple of levels that bugged me to the point of stopping play for a while (MAP31 had me step away for at least half a year, if not longer) but on the whole it was good. "Stronghold Earth" is the one map that really sticks in my mind, and the last half-dozen or so that I just played were quite enjoyable. (Well, "Salvation" I may have kind of hated.) I liked how MAP30 homaged a bunch of TNT stuff: the opening was "Caribbean" and the blue door area was evocative of "Pharoah"; I also appreciated how easy the Icon (my least favorite part of DOOM2 megawads) was to kill, regardless of his increased health.

I also started Mayan Mishap on a whim last night, figuring it was only 5 maps. Geez. Took me quite a while to adjust to the tweaked monsters. Thank goodness for savescumming. MAP01 was gorgeous, though, and a lot of fun once I managed to get a foothold.

Currently making my way through Memento Mori II. First levels are a bit blah but I made it to the good stuff. MAP07 (Frustration) is the first truly difficult map in the set. MAP09 (Sabbath Sewer) is a very fun one.

I am currently playing with myself... I mean, I am currently playing diet 32in24 whilst I wait for the release of #14. I am still quite pissed off that I managed to miss mapping for that one but shit happens. I have also started Mayan Mishap and I am currently on Map 02 it's nice to see such a well done palette to boot.

Been going through Harmony for the first time today, on the ninth map now. It's okay. Weapons seem underpowered (shotgun, energy gun) and enemies overpowered at times (especially the cyberdemon style monster) and the music is repetitive (the title music is my favorite however) but the mapping's decent (some cool tricks for being supposedly entirely vanilla compatible, I especially like the use of pseudo brightmaps).

Last year I went through HacX the first time, the original version through DOSBox, it wasn't too bad but it left something to be desired at times, that and it was obviously unfinished when it ended on a big cliffhanger. Any word on what's coming of HacX 2.0?

After I finish Harmony I'm going to check out the new version of Freedoom.

E: Also got the new PSX DOOM/Final DOOM TC + Lost Levels + Customizer, this thing already looks even more awesome than it did last time!

E2: I've also missed two years worth of Doom stuff, so this is going to be fun.

E3: The Wolfenstein TC for ZDoom has come a long ways too! Although it seems redundant and obsolete now with the presence of ECWolf I feel it's still cool for having all 9 episodes in one package and some Z/Doom-isms that work in its favor that make it worth the while.

E4: Finished Harmony, it was decent enough in its own right, about on par with HacX, not very good but not totally awful.

Finished up two WADs last night:

Mayan Mishap (HMP) was great. MAP04 was tough, but I managed to get through. MAP31 really reminded me of Ribbiks' 20X6. Gorgeous.

And Slaughter Until Death (UV) was a lot of a fun. Not too difficult, but there were definitely some vicious traps. I think I started most of the levels down around 50% health. Really impressive stuff for 1994 (and holds up surprising well today.)

Currently I'm playing through The Evil Unleashed on UV. 2 levels in, and man MAP01 was a slugfest. Here, have a shotgun to face down a ton of demons and cacos. Vicious stuff. MAP02 was a lot less impressive, though.

UACMN hacked while getting brutally slaughtered by TheJitterserv (My version of Doom Center's Jitterserv, only this time he has attacks).

Making me lawl a lot XDXDXDXDXDXD!

I played Double Impact, Danne's E1, Simply Phobos + Brutal Doom
and Vanguard, MAYAN MISHAP + Trailblazer.
It's was fun.

Double Impact was cool, though funnily enough I only played it with my custom version of the Mutiny 2 mod.

Starting on the TNT portion of PSX Doom TC, MAP74: System Control.

On non-Doom terms I've been revisiting my first video games Super Empire Strikes Back and Super Return of the Jedi on ZSNES and without save states, and I'm surprised these didn't make me quit gaming altogether.

Checked two more WADs off my list the past couple of days:

The Evil Unleashed (UV) was a lot of fun. A bit more brutal than its predecessor SUD, and dang if it doesn't hold up really well for a 1994 set. E3M8 was laughably easy on continuous, though.

Hell Revealed (HMP), freaking finally. MAP29 was surprisingly easy, and frustratingly switch-hunty, but still fun. MAP30, though, is just everything wrong with IOS maps x 100. By the time I made it up to the pedestal, the place was flooded with so many souls/PEs/cacos that I couldn't get get a rocket into the brain even if I already knew the timing. Blah.

Continuing to play through the Doom 2 Master Levels: Garrison kicked my butt a lot at the start, with the low ammo and hitscanners all around, plus the frickin' PEs. Once I knew where the SSG was, though, I was pretty much set. Geryon was a lot of fun, though I was disappointed to discover upon reaching the exit that a solid third (if not more) of the map was completely optional.

Finished playing through The Troopers' Playground (UV) the other day. That was a lot of fun. Some really delicious traps. And the new trooper was particularly nasty. Really good stuff.

Currently playing Memento Mori (UV) for the very first time. It starts out a bit raw in the visuals, but settles in rather quickly. I especially liked MAP03 as a new take on "Entryway", and MAP05 could have been something from Plutonia. I'm impressed so far.

Restarted Back to Saturn X Episode 1 after getting to map05 or so last year and losing interest. I can't recall why I stopped, it might have been something work related or I could have been burnt out on Doom. In any case, I really like it so far; The maps are kinda same-y looking but the design is masterful and there's some neat variation in concepts (Even in the same stage). So far I'd have to say Map12 is my favorite, the beginning with the lift was something I honestly haven't seen in a vanilla map before and it really warmed me up to the rest of it.

Also great music. I also found the stage names cute, I recognized a few of those songs :D

I enjoy slaughter wads with Trailblazer:
Lunatic
Speed of Doom
Stardate 20x6
Forsaken Overlook (slaughter?)
Bloody Steel (I don't like first maps but MAP06 and MAP07 amazing)

Combat Shock 2 + Trailblazer - not good.