Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Julian

So where does your username come from?

My best friend gave me this nickname in secondary school. I thought it was a good one, and kept it.

I accidentally made a smacking sound with my mouth and thought "oh, this is probably a good idea."

I opened up the Bible to a random page and it landed somewhere towards the beginning, at Genesis 4:19. In that passage, Lamech (Adam's grandson I believe) has two wives, one named Adah and the other, named Zillah. I chose Zillah (because of it's semblance to the antagonist of Shadow Warrior, 'Zilla') and because I liked it. I'm not a girl of course, but I didn't mind.

I didn't choose my username, my username chose me.

6 hours ago, spd7693 said:

Initials + birthdate. Nothing fancy. 

How is life in the 77th century?

I go by two different names with slight variations to them.

The one I use in Doomworld is Chezza. On rare occasion I use Chezzlor to make it sound like a cheesy villain (inspired by Simpsons joke Gamblor). Speaking of Cheese, Chezza was my highschool nickname partially due to sounding like my surname but mostly cause I love Cheese. It was my shtick. To this day I still have friends and all their relatives call me Chezza.

My second common online name is "There are some who call me Tim". Often modified to make it fit in particular platforms. This is directly ripped from a Monty Python quote.

11 hours ago, Chopkinsca said:

How is life in the 77th century?

Isn't the date in the English speaking world structured Month-Day-Year??? At least that is what I learned in school. 

35 minutes ago, spd7693 said:

Isn't the date in the English speaking world structured Month-Day-Year??? At least that is what I learned in school. 

In America it’s month-day-year. Most of Europe it’s day-month-year. Canada uses both.

International Standard is year, month, day. So yeah, it’s kind of all over.

I am used to word it day-month-year - the European format. But since I communicate mostly in English, I worded it month-day-year in my username here. 

It was the year 2000 or somethin' and I heard there was going to be a new doom game (what would become Doom 3), so I was poking about for news and found Newdoom via some Google search. While registering on there I came up this 'doom_dude' thing and didn't think Id be stuck with it. So when I registered here I figured id use the same name and here we are in 2020...

Initials and random numbers at the end was pretty easy to remember and type so yeah not very interesting of a username

6 hours ago, spd7693 said:

Oh I'm an idiot. I thought you said birth year, not birth date. I blame the rum

In irc my alternatives are TripleBeast, QuadBeast and PentaBeast. Today my modem was behaving weird and my TwinBeast nick got stuck for a bit and now I'm online as TripleBeast. My net connection / modem has never behaved so badly that QuadBeast or PentaBeast would have made an appearance. I wonder if we'll ever see InvisiBeast.

The archvile was my favorite monster from Doom 2.  I picked this name when I was playing Quakeworld, well over 20 years ago when I was still in high school.  The 'stx' in my name on Compet-n and Twitch came from my old QW/Q3 clan The Stickmen, which I was still in when I started recording demos for Compet-n.  Even though the clan is probably gone (although I found an article on esreality from 2011 showing they came back at one point), the clan tag is just part of how people know me now.  I probably wouldn't bother with a handle these days and especially not a clan tag so people don't have to say "es tee x Vile" when they say my name, but I'm stuck with it.

Well, I wanted something punny for starters. I like skeletons, and no not because they're spooky or some other dumb shit. Whenever I watched cartoons I realized they always portrayed skeletons as either evil or goofy, never in between. To some people I've always been either some funny, weird, dude or just some insensitive asshole so there's that. Then I thought, why not make a pun off bonehead, since I can tend to be a moron. So boom, VoanHead is born.

I originally picked Hellish Godzilla, because I had no better ideas for a Doomworld username that day than putting the word "hellish" before the name of my favourite monster. Then Shin Godzilla came out and provided the world with an actually hellish-looking Godzilla. So eventually I made the switch.

1728807263_ThisiswhyShinGojirascaresme-Imgur.jpg.0e382798cb35870b34e46363b99abf67.jpg

I like the idea that everything and nothing has no end.

A never ending pleasure, a never ending torment, a never ending D o o m.

An Endless life.

I never liked Dragon Ball that much.  A friend got me to briefly watch it on TV for a while until I got sick of it.   I do have one game for Sega Saturn that's really mediocre.   I did make my name Goku+Akuma because this one color selection of Akuma or Shin Akuma in Street Fighter Alpha 2 looks Super Saiyan.   The Japanese name of the SF character is actually Gouki.   I won't change it now because I already used it for so long pertaining to Doom stuff.

Here's an excerpt from one of my WAD reviews over at the Doom Master Wadazine:

Let me tell you a funny story about my current Doomworld username. Earlier in February, I decided to come back to play DOOM once again after about a year of inactivity. Thinking I was the only Indonesian guy to play Classic Doom (at least on Doomworld) back then, I decided to designate a project to bring interest of Classic Doom to more Indonesians, and thus InDOOMnesia was born. My plan would consist of posting consistently on my personal blog and YouTube videos. Unfortunately, I don’t really have enough willpower to do the project, and my devices are not made for recording and editing YouTube videos. With no formal announcements, this project had already stagnated by the time I designated it (and still nothing comes out of it yet...), leaving me stuck with this username until the February of next year.

I do have a "main", more common username, but that's another story for now.

I chose my username because: Mr(I'm a guy) S(First initial) Retro(I play older games more often than newer games).

And that's why I'm Mr.S Retro