Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hell Interface

As a doomer, what's your favourite real gun to actually shoot?

I've always kinda wanted to own a shotgun. Over here civilians can own one with a license, but a maximum capacity of three shells and you're required to store the firearm and ammunition in separate secure locations. Makes sense. 

I've handled (but not used) a variety of British service weapons, the SA80/L85, L7A2 general purpose machine gun (FN MAG), and whatever our sharpshooter rifle is called. The SA80 is light as a feather.

I have that same Doom poster. Mine's framed on my wall!

I've fired a Beretta M9, the pistol. Pretty nice handgun but Doomguy makes it look effortless. I've also fired a BFG but I'm not at liberty to discuss specifics.

I had a BB gun replica of a Model 92 Beretta (aka the Doom pistol basically) when I was younger. Laws are very strict regarding pistols here in New Zealand so I have never fired a real one. But I found the replica incredibly comfortable to hold. Conversely, my friend's Glock replica felt very uncomfortable where the rear of the slide at the top of the grip sat against my hand.

In terms of actual guns, my father is a hunter so I have shot a few over the years. I once fired my Grandfather's old side by side 12 gauge which probably dated back to like 1930 something when I was 12 or 13. I was a pretty solid guy even at that age so it was rather amusing it nearly put me on my ass and I swear my vision went black and white briefly after firing it. Did some claybird shooting with it a few years later and hit maybe one. Dad had a Winchester .308 bolt-action rifle for years that was pretty nice to shoot when he wasn't using these absurd reloaded ex-military rounds. I was using it once with him and my friend when we were going hunting for deer. Now I always always taught to put the gun in half-cock position (ie: the bolt halfway down where it won't fire but can be dropped quickly) and then test fire twice in a safe direction to ensure all was good. What I discovered was a position for the bolt I am not sure even Dad knew was there - a position just after half-cock that feels just like half-cock that when you pull the trigger THE FUCKING BOLT DROPS INTO FIRING POSITION. *click* BOOOOOM!!! Awkward, stunned silence. "My fault!" Dad was quick to point out I did everything 100% right on the safety front. Needless to say, we saw no deer that day. Sorry I know I am drifting off topic but thinking of different guns reminded me of those stories that were too funny not to share.

Anyway, my favourite would probably be my Dad's semi-automatic shotgun was name escapes me currently. I want to say an Italian name beginning with B but not Beretta? Anyway, beautiful gun to shoot. No recoil whatsoever. Went claybird shooting with that I think I hit all but one or two - and I had only gone claybird shooting that one other time. There were other people with us, and the next day one of them said to me "We had a discussion after you left. Next time we go claybird shooting, you're not allowed to come."

Fav gun to shoot: Glock 21 for pistol, AR-15 for rifle

Gun I want the most: authentic Cold-War era AKM

The only real-ish gun I ever fired was a starting pistol. Very loud and realistic, but harmless.

We were doing a Spanish/French school play kind of thing for a parents' evening or something of that nature. I was playing a Spanish cop dealing with some bank robbers. "¡Entreguen sus armas, en seguida!" and other such awesome lines. Anyway, I thought the kid's toy capgun would be much too tame, and my dad was able to get this starting pistol from somewhere. So yeah, when I fired the thing in a school classroom during this play it was just a little bit too loud. You could see into other rooms the other side of the quadrangle where other events were taking place, and everyone there was looking towards where the gunshot had come from. For the second and third performances we used the capgun instead.

Back on topic, no one should enjoy firing guns, FFS. Grow up.

8 minutes ago, Grazza said:

...he said, after posting about his traumatic starter gun experience on a video game forum.

EDIT: Oh yeah, about the topic. Ruger 10/22, greatest plinker on Earth.

For hand guns, it’s the H&K USP 45. Not cheap, but fits my big hands perfectly and has never failed me. I also like 357 Magnum revolvers like my S&W 340PD, which is incredibly lightweight and feels like you’re shooting a rocket out of your hand when loaded with 357 Magnum, so typically I load it with 38 Special instead when I want to shoot it a lot. 

For long guns, it is the FN SCAR 16S, which is the most expensive gun I own. I also love the Mossberg 590, which is probably the cheapest gun I own, but it is a great shotgun. 

My Kimber 1911 and my long barrel Remy 870 were both good fun to shoot when I had them. I unfortunately lost them in a terrible boating accident though.

I had a high-capacity CPS 1200 when I was younger.

You get a feeling of sheer power when you have one of these babies in your hands, fully loaded.

cps1200_00.jpg

7 hours ago, Grazza said:

Ok, setting jokes aside, why shouldn't firing guns be entertaining? I'm not some gun-nut, I think sensible background checks and regulations a-la motor vehicles make perfect sense - but I'm not going to then pretend that firing a gun doesn't have an inherent level of thrill to it, just like driving a fast car or even performing/listening to loud, bombastic music at a concert or something.

I certainly don't think enjoying loud things inherently is childish or requires anyone to "grow up". It only gets to that point when someone is obsessive/defensive to the point where their personality and worldview starts revolving around it.

7 hours ago, dasho said:

...he said, after posting about his traumatic starter gun experience on a video game forum.

"I fired a loud starter pistol once" is a traumatic experience? Sounds more like a point about how loud noises are extremely obnoxious/unnecessary for the sake of a play or something similar, hardly sounds traumatic. Also you and I are also both posting on a rusty old "video game forum". It's not really worth mentioning, since it's inherently obvious that we're doing so, lol. The fact that something was said here neither validates nor invalidates it.

Ah kinsie, respect! I preferred the HOTD cabinet's model... if it isn't broken. Second after that would be the Time Crisis 2 cab's pistol 👍

1 minute ago, mrthejoshmon said:

I'm English, my favourite gun is a knife.

You got a loicense for that m8?

imo when I was young and in the scouts I got the opportunity to fire a shotgun on clay targets. i missed all my shots and felt like i was going to fuck up and kill someone the entire time. these skills transferred into my current gamer prowess

2 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

I preferred the HOTD cabinet's model

I used to put in two credits and dual wield on that game. Good times.

Second after that would be the Time Crisis 2 cab's pistol

The first game was also pretty good. I finished the entire game on a single credit once. Did the entire final boss with no hits left. God damn that was nerve wracking.

image.png.e2c127503385894918af9d8d50efb924.png

Finally that fresh fruit self defense course I took from John Cleese will come in handy.

I have some "Nurf" Guns i like to shoot, because my Cat loves to run after them.

Only ever got to shoot an assault rifle (rk62) and a rocket launcher (Apilas) back in the military but would love to try shooting a shotgun.

rk62.jpg.244b7fc369af56eda48e45aa9941836e.jpg

When I moved to America a few years ago, I took the opportunity to go to a gun range to see what all the fuss was about. I fired a few things, although all I can really remember was a Colt 9mm and a Smith and Western six-shooter revolver (which was ridiculously heavy and inaccurate).

I wouldn't really say I enjoyed the experience. If purely for target practice I find there are much more satisfying weapons to use: bows, hatchets, even paintball guns have much better feedback IMO. Handguns make a huge noise but unless you shoot something designed to blow up or otherwise give you feedback, nothing really happens: you just get a tiny hole in a piece of paper. I guess the basic human satisfaction in getting better at something over time still applies, but I've never found myself desperate to go back. Shotguns might be a different experience.

Also, the instructor proudly showing off her custom pink-trimmed gun and matching pink-trimmed holster, and how cute it was, really stuck with me. I almost found myself saying to her "you know this is designed for killing people, right?". Such a weird disconnect.