Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eurisko

The Unity Port Thread - PS/Xbox/Switch/IOS/Android

On 7/7/2022 at 10:14 AM, Lizardcommando said:

The only way to make it perfect is if something like Smooth Doom was officially released for the Unity Port. Oh well.

Curious that it hasn't been released, considering Fraggle made a version a couple years ago that would in theory be supported by this port.

Then again, addons that don't change the levels like music packs and the like haven't been added, so I guess that's why.

On 7/9/2022 at 7:07 AM, Faceman2000 said:

I’m surprised @Revenant100 hasn’t done one of his officially trademarked comparison breakdowns yet…

Just had to wait for some time to do a once over. Here's the rundown on the differences in the Bethesda add-on release of Anomaly Report:

• New demos.
  • MAP33 removed.
  • D_SHAWN2 changed to a different midi. The original was WarTemple (Icarus: Alien Vanguard) - Charles Li, the only track from Charles in the WAD and hence presumably the only person unable to get permission from for the Bethesda release.
  • All skies changed to replace just the sky part. Image, originals on top and Bethesdas on bottom.
  • TITLEPIC and INTERPIC redone, presumably for the same sky reason. Originals on left and Bethesdas on right:
    LEG2719.png

• M_DOOM and status bar completely substituted. Originals on top and Bethesdas on bottom:
    zQadNiG.png
    9Nk6l1F.png

• Redone ship's wheel patch. Original on left and Bethesda on right:
    Eulh5J7.png

And potentially a few other trivial map changes.

1 hour ago, Metal_Slayer said:

Wait, how many add-ons have differences in the Unity port?

I think Sigil and Arrival were relatively untouched. Every other addon has had at least has had some kind of change. Revenant100 has been doing the Lord’s work and documenting these changes with each release.

We should totally compile links to all of Revenant100's comparison posts into a single place, they're a great resource and a really fun read to boot.

I'll do it myself if someone can tell me how to search a single topic for all posts made by one user. I could've sworn I've done it once but I can't seem to remember how and it's driving me nuts.

Can also document the changes on the wiki. We should also add the add-on intro text to those articles..

(Totally wish I could figure out how those work, it'd be fun to make my unofficial add-ons more official feeling)

I did notice a couple articles on the wiki for Wads that have info about their Unity changes. Mainly the BTSX article. 

On lundi 11 juillet 2022 at 2:57 AM, brick said:

We should totally compile links to all of Revenant100's comparison posts into a single place, they're a great resource and a really fun read to boot.

I'll do it myself if someone can tell me how to search a single topic for all posts made by one user. I could've sworn I've done it once but I can't seem to remember how and it's driving me nuts.

I don't think we can do that in this version of the forum. It was definitely possible in the previous version (the one that ran on a very old vBulletin version) because you could restrict by user and by topic. Now you can restrict by user or by topic, but not both at once.

On 7/10/2022 at 7:57 PM, brick said:

Here's all Revenant100 posts I could find related to comparisons, ordered via Unity release date:

Nazi IWAD stuff

No Rest For The Living

- didn't find one for Sigil

Double Impact

No End In Sight

Deathless

Back To Saturn X - both episodes
REKKR

Doom Zero

Syringe

Earthless: Prelude

- didn't find one for Arrival

Anomaly Report

16 hours ago, Maribo said:

- didn't find one for Sigil

I glanced at the Bethesda version of Sigil a long time back and assumed that nothing had changed. However, upon double checking it now, boy was I wrong! There's one key map change made to E3M9. Original on left, Bethesda on right:

10PIGFX.png

ENusGcV.png

In short, a new alcove has been created for the red key door to push it away from the lift that brings you up to it. This change was likely made so the player is less likely to be instantly killed with no warning by the crushing pole right just after stepping off the lift. By extension, this also means that the most polished and therefore best version of Sigil is, indeed, only available commercially.

16 hours ago, Maribo said:

- didn't find one for Arrival

I did do a check on Arrival, but I forgot to post the results since the differences were fairly minor. This was what I found in the Bethesda version:

• Demos added. Original WAD had none.
  • Presumably for technical reasons, the skies were changed from single 1024x256 textures to four adjoining 256x128 textures (note these are no longer "tall" skies).
  • Some technical map changes:
    - Missing co-op starts added.
    - All control sectors with the sky transfer special removed since since sky definitions are now handled by the DMAPINFO lump.
    - The dark blood ocean perimeter sector at the end of MAP09 and surrounding MAP10 has been made smaller, presumably also for technical reasons.
    - Secret Pavera face sector in secret level changed because it didn't work in complevel 2 (Chaingunners were stuck in ceiling).
  • Secret level map slot moved from MAP31 to MAP11.
  • Perhaps the most controversial change of all, the name of the secret level was changed. Original on top and Bethesda on bottom:
    3VoT4tI.png

Curiously, this map name change was only made in the DMAPINFO lump, not to the CWILV10 graphic, so the Bethesda version still says "Dad Bod" at the intermission screen.

Edited by Revenant100

So basically, we have another case of map11 having two names again.... on the same map slot as well

On 7/16/2022 at 8:57 PM, Revenant100 said:
  • Perhaps the most controversial change of all, the name of the secret level was changed. Original on top and Bethesda on bottom:
    3VoT4tI.png

Curiously, this map name change was only made in the DMAPINFO lump, not to the CWILV10 graphic, so the Bethesda version still says "Dad Bod" at the intermission screen.

I changed the name in the Unity release as a nod to a friend who contributed to it. They like to prefer the term "father figure" over "dad bod" to describe the quintessential dad physique. I otherwise opted to keep the original name in the CWILV10 graphic because a) i am lazy and b) i like the original name.

One other crucial change: MAP06 and MAP09 no longer feature two unique skies, due to the missing sky transfer specials in the Unity port. Was a hard sacrifice to make :(

There appears to be a strange new problem introduced with the recent naming convention change of the Doom games on Steam where the menus are bugging out according to Steam users. It was reported on the Doom I version of the Unity port on Steam forums, but I fired up Doom II's Unity port and I just ran into the "invisible" menu problem too where Doom guy was making random sounds but it turns out that it was the menu for some reason was opened in the background without me pressing Start/Menu on my controller and I accidentally ended up starting the level over. Can someone please investigate this and maybe take the opportunity to update the Unity ports themselves with feedback some other users like OpenRift mentioned here and on Steam?

Edited by AmethystViper : Additional info.

38 minutes ago, AmethystViper said:

There appears to be a strange new problem introduced with the recent naming convention change of the Doom games on Steam where the menus are bugging out according to Steam users. It was reported on the Doom I version of the Unity port on Steam forums, but I fired up Doom II's Unity port and I just ran into the "invisible" menu problem too where Doom guy was making random sounds but it turns out that it was the menu for some reason was opened in the background without me pressing Start/Menu on my controller and I accidentally ended up starting the level over. Can someone please investigate this and maybe take the opportunity to update the Unity ports themselves with feedback some other users like OpenRift mentioned here and on Steam?

@sponge and I are unable to reproduce this in any capacity. It's going to take someone coming up with a 100% reproduction case to be able to fix it, it seems.

1 hour ago, Edward850 said:

@sponge and I are unable to reproduce this in any capacity. It's going to take someone coming up with a 100% reproduction case to be able to fix it, it seems.

Happened to me too. And sometimes the menu's not invisible and acts as if I'm at the title screen/demo reel. Had this occur on both PC and Switch on Doom 1 and 2. Seems just occur randomly during gameplay. Just a hunch, but maybe it's related to the Bethesda.net sign-in?

EDIT: Nevermind, seems to launch fine now. haha phew.

Edited by Xeogred

This is an old issue, as far as I know. I'm not able to reproduce it. Seems like there might be a problem with handling error screens, and it works when you play offline.

Asking around to see if there were backend changes that are affecting us, but there are no planned new features or other fixes planned right now.

I remember this bug happened to me a couple times, but I couldn't ever reproduce it consistently. It often happened after loading a save and pressing esc/start/whatever the menu key is too fast. Other times, it happened immediately after opening the menu and quickloading. It was never 100% of the time, but I'd say 75%.

22 hours ago, sponge said:

This is an old issue, as far as I know. I'm not able to reproduce it. Seems like there might be a problem with handling error screens, and it works when you play offline.

Asking around to see if there were backend changes that are affecting us, but there are no planned new features or other fixes planned right now.

Oddly enough the time the bug happened to me when I was online and launched the game through Steam while signed into my Bethesda account.

Should be fixed now, was unrelated to the name change, and didn't require a new build so there won't be an update pending or anything.

7 hours ago, hfc2x said:

Now, if they only supported Linux..

Is it just me or is the Linux boom from the 2010s going a little bit back? At least from GOGs perspective, they ported The Witcher 2 to Linux. But they did not port The Witcher 1 (which had at least a Mac version) and 3 (which is Windows only).

Steam is still pushing Linux because of SteamOS, right?

Oh dang oh dang. I always thought that was the oldest one to have a chance, unless they decided to go as far back as Enjay Doom or something.

EDIT: And it uses the Midi Pack! But Map04's music was replaced, presumably because the original was based on a track from Shadow the Hedgehog.

EDIT: Map33 can't be accessed from the menu, but you can still IDCLEV to it. Apparently "Betray" is still the default name for maps in that slot.

Edited by SiFi270

I figured I'd mention it here because it's the Unity thread, but downloaded addons on PC don't show up anywhere that I can find. They're supposed to be in the AppData directory under the Id Software folder, but the Id Software folder just isn't there (I checked Local, LocalLow, and Roaming to make sure). Is there any reason why it wouldn't be there?

I noticed these while digging through the GOG version of the Unity port and comparing them to an earlier version of them I had leftover from my Steam installation:

kq4wTvu.png

GOG version on the left, the earlier Steam build I had on the right. I presume these are also coming to Epic at some point?

EDIT: Same .dll files appear on the Steam version after performing a clean re-install just now with nothing else added compared to the GOG version.

UPDATE: And lo and behold, they appeared on Epic Games Games store along with Doom 3 (2019) and Doom 64.

Edited by AmethystViper : Additional info.

1 hour ago, Eddie 2077 said:

I figured I'd mention it here because it's the Unity thread, but downloaded addons on PC don't show up anywhere that I can find. They're supposed to be in the AppData directory under the Id Software folder, but the Id Software folder just isn't there (I checked Local, LocalLow, and Roaming to make sure). Is there any reason why it wouldn't be there?

Cuz that’s not where they’re supposed to be. They’re saved in User\Saved Games\id Software\Doom (2)\WADS

2 minutes ago, Faceman2000 said:

Cuz that’s not where they’re supposed to be. They’re saved in User\Saved Games\id Software\Doom (2)\WADS

I had to use the search feature in Windows Explorer, and apparently they're in the OneDrive folder somehow.

12 hours ago, Kyle07 said:

Is it just me or is the Linux boom from the 2010s going a little bit back? At least from GOGs perspective, they ported The Witcher 2 to Linux. But they did not port The Witcher 1 (which had at least a Mac version) and 3 (which is Windows only).

Steam is still pushing Linux because of SteamOS, right?

Yeah, the Steam Deck uses Linux, and runs games that are Windows-only through Proton (Valve's fork of Wine). Because Proton is open source, and included with Steam for Linux, it's made it so if a game is fully playable on Steam Deck, it'll also be on any Linux distro.

What I was saying about GOG is that while some games available on their platform do have a native Linux version, their client is not available for Linux whatsoever. The only option is running the Windows version of GOG Galaxy through Wine, which makes it really unstable and glitchy. The reason having the client is important for some people is because GOG measuring your play time and knowing your achievements affects game recommendations you get. Some third party tools exist to fill that void, but they're useless for this purpose, because they don't send any of that data to GOG. Also (if you happen to care), native Linux versions of GOG games don't have achievements, or if the game is listed as having them, they're completely incapable of unlocking them because GOG hasn't made the Galaxy SDK available for Linux.

1 hour ago, Eddie 2077 said:

I had a very similar issue some time ago. Turns out in my Windows installation, the games and WADs were saved to the root directory of one of my drives (e.g. "F:\Saved Games\id Software"). Seems like the rereleases save their data in very random locations for some reason.