Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dt_

The DWIronman league dies to: Doom E1

November 2022,

dwil1122.png.678cc042c2be63772026114bcdee9157.png

This month, you will be dying to doom e1.  You all know the maps, so this should be easy, eh.

But wait on, there's more...

I've been working on a little dehacked file to spice things up a touch, as I'm sure there won't be many (if any) category 1 runs this month.  You will also be playing with FAST MONSTERS active (-fast)

Here's an example command line for glboom, other ports similar-

glboom-plus -iwad c:\doom\doom.wad -deh c:\doom\dwil-nov.deh -fast -warp 1 1 -skill 4 -record <yourdemoname>

Brief breakdown of the changes in the dehacked, so you don't have to test it and theoretically submit a prepared run:

-> Imp fireballs approx double damage and fly twice as fast

-> Bullets and shells give half ammo (5 round dropped clip now down to 2 bullets)

-> Baron fireballs do about 2.5x damage, and travel a bit faster, for those of you skilled enough to make it to m8

-> Souls do double damage and have half health, and cacoballs do double damage as well, but these changes will be irrelevant as I'm sure you know

Here it is : dwil-nov

Just a reminder,

You MUST load the above dehacked file

You MUST play with FAST MONSTERS enabled

Failure to do so will disqualify your run.  That will not stop you submitting a breathtakingly excellent prepared run however

Standard Ironman patter below:

Rules- You know em, but here's a simmered down version:

-1 attempt, whether it be a natural death, technical issues, cat jumped on keyboard and made you rocket yourself, etc

-UV only

-No additional wads loaded, EXCEPT THE SUPPLIED DEHACKED FILE in this instance

-No saving/loading

-No cheat codes

-No freelook, jumping or crouching

-Try to enjoy yourself, it's a friendly competition

Categories briefly explained:

Cat 1: Blind.  Don't know this wad from Adam.  Never played it before, no foreknowledge;

Cat 2: Have played it, or some of it before, enough to offer an advantage, prior to the wad being selected for club play;

Cat 3: have swotted up on (but not played) the wad/dehacked after it was selected for club play with an intention to survive or max the wad, and in the fastest time possible

Prepared: Well, you've, erm, prepared for it by playing the wad (in this case, used the .deh file with doom.wad).  There will be a separate leaderboard for this, these runs are also welcomed

I'd allow about 45-50 mins or so for a fairly regular playthrough.

Good luck!

Remember, FAST MONSTERS, and of course the supplied dehacked file.  I think this might be a bit of an experimental slant on the traditional Ironman; see how you go, all the best!

LEADERBOARD

1: NightTerror - cat 2 - survival+1 28:15 // A belting whistlestop tour of E1.  That'll take some beating all right.

2: dt_ - cat 3 - survival+1 31:41 // It's not a fix I swear.  I doubt I'll stay up here for long.

3: Asbadagba - cat 2 - survival+1 35:17 // I'll be honest, I don't know what a longtic is, or what it means.  But even without them, this demo was short, sweet and successful. (I know know what a longtic is - thanks!)

4: Uncletito - cat 2 - survival+1 42:55 // Tito did not get hacked off with the dehacked, and the demons were fast but he was faster.  Not hasty, mind.  Nice smooth run

5: Ludi - cat 2 - survival+1, 44:53 // Couple of rough moments, especially that nailbiter on m8, but an otherwise sound run, nice.

6: Beginner - cat 2 - survival+1, 48:22 // No medikits were harmed in the making of this demo, or any beginners either.  cool run.

7: ginc - cat 2 - survival+1, 49:20 // Lovely smooth run, great work! Runs like this make me wish I'd been harder with the dehacked mods

8: NaZa - cat 2 - survival+1, 51:07 // Nothing to fear but fear itself, and really fast pinkies, oh and maybe your mum if you skip a family dinner.  Knows e1 like the back of his hand.

9: Vince Vega - cat 2 - survival+1 57:05 // Happy to assist Vince in his quest to find his G spot.  Slow and steady, just how we like it.  Everyone knows you just get sore if you rush these things. 

10: Andromeda - cat 2 - survival+1 60:11 // Nothin' in this game for two in a bed, says our Jim.  I say there's nothing extra for maxing, except maybe street cred.  But he left some alive in the last room anyway...

11: LadyMistDragon - cat 2 - survival 29:51 // Here's a lass that lives life on the edge, quite often very low health and ammo, lackadaisical, reckless, incredibly fast but also somehow ponderous; a weirdly mesmeric and entertaining run, well worth a watch.  

12: Head_cannon - cat 2 - survival 44:31 // Smooth as a baby's back side, cool run.  I'm sure cranially mounted firepower will have helped where needed.

13: Suitepee - cat 2 - dead m8 64:33 // Goodness gracious great (baron)ball(s) of fire.  Then licked to death by a translucent pinky on acid.  What a fantastic chain of events for a Sunday evening.

14: Pseudonaut - cat 2 - dead m7 30:51 // It was death by a thousand cuts for Pseudonaut at the start of m7.  Basically irritated to death, it was a ninja sergeant that delivered the final slice.

15: NoisyVelvet - cat 2 - dead m7 49:21 // It was a tense last couple of minutes for the noisyman there on an otherwise steady run.  Sarge just got the measure of him though.

16: 4shockblast - cat 2 - dead m6 18:36  // Going for the fastest run so far, but then a hungry pinkie rips his face off whilst ol' fourshock was deciding which weapon he was going to drop for others to pick up when he died.

17: Bdubzz - cat 2 - dead m6 21.16 // A rip roaring run make no mistake, but ends up another festering corpse in the corner of that closet in m6.  I can sense some mild sarcasm in his comment over the page.

18: silentd00mer - cat 2 - dead m6 24:35 // You're lucky I don't know how to double the hitscan damage, the state of you after the first room, that'd have been the shortest run of all time.  Still staggers on to map 6 though.  Bet them spectres broke a tooth eating you with all that buckshot you took early on.

19: Brick - cat 2 - dead m5 23:40 // Can't think of any mortar say, he cements a nice steady run before, er, bricking it on m5.  Hopefully this will be the foundation on which to build many DWIL runs in future.

20: NiGHTS108 - cat 2 - dead m5, 24.23 // What's that, jump scares in E1? surely not.  Change of undercrackers required either way.  Nights will be sleepless for a while.

21: SCF - cat 2 - DNF, sort of gave up on m4 11:33 // About as close to a cat 1 as possible.  Romero would never have allowed that softlock onto those floppy discs back in 93, stuck pinkies on m6 are cool tho.  Demo worth watching for the imp infight at the end of m3 alone.

22: Horus - cat 2 - dead m4 20:52 // So many what ifs, what if he'd found that chaingun before m4, what if he'd found any of the decent secrets, what if he'd not sat down on a barrel while a demon chews on his nether regions...

23: finnks13 - cat 2 - dead m9, 10:14 // It's kind of sad, Finnksy passes that trap a couple of times in the demo, each time deciding not to bother, but then for some reason just goes for it on the third pass.  We all know its not worth it, but sometimes we just do these things.  A bit like bothering to play m9 to be honest.

24: SiFi270 - cat 3 - dead m3 15:19 // Another run with an awesome imp infight on m3, he goes to set up the second one though, without any luck.

25: AnimaZero - cat 2 - dead m3, 11:30 // Anima takes pity on that imp, or did the gun jam, either way, he gets burned.  Good Job.

PREPBOARD

1: Xx_lol6_xX - survival 20:51 // Not put off by double damage imps or turbo pinkies, your player here records a double speed turbo run.  Prepared or not, that's impressive

2: Pegleg - dead m5 52:52 // Those shaved gorillas really close you down with -fast on.  It was literally the last 4 monsters in the map that got him.  Good performance in some of the tougher fights however, could've been promising.

Pegleg's original run - disqualified - survival 80:04 // First ever ironman survival, good work, and I'm really sorry I can't count it.  Shame about -regularlevelofspeedmonsters.

Edited by dt_

I can't believe I'm writing this, but...

Cat 2

Survived, +1, 51:07

dwironman_nov22_naza.zip

Spoiler

This was definitely my best Ironman offering ever. The amount of stress that went into this is quite high.

M3 had my jaw hit the floor over how quick the demons are. I knew they'd be quick, but MAN... seeing that, I doubted my original decision to gamble by visiting M9, though I realized it's go hard or go home, so I visited it, did a cheeky jump over the final pit, and left.

You'll see that I have an almost photographic memory of each map - I believe on most maps I found every single possible secret (which usually results in entering the next map with 200/200), and on some I even utilized a couple of skips. Aside from the aforementioned straferun at the end on M9, I've managed to absolutely demolish the SLADWALL jump on M4 (first try!!!) and have also skipped the maze part on M6. Also did a sort of a cheese on M6's final trap, I wasn't sure how it'll work so I hoped for the best, threw a dice and got a 6 luckily.

I've played UDoom somewhat recently, I think 8 or so months ago, so that's where most of my intel comes from. I have a habit of returning to the IWADs once each year around its beginning to rejog my memory on them.

Fair disclaimer: on M7 my movement got insanely erratic and got me below 70/70 on a few occasions, so I decided it's a good time to menu-pause on the first second of M8 and take a lunch break. (Not that I had a choice, it was a family lunch, but still, it was a break.) It lasted around 20 minutes. Not sure if that disqualifies me (afaik it shouldn't) but I felt it's important to outline it.

Cat 2

E1 M4, 35/85 kills (DNF)

DWIL_22-11_e1_SCF.zip

Spoiler

I thought I got softlocked so I gave up. I don't really know Doom 1 maps, and had to check doom builder afterwards to find out how to open the doors. I guess I just never crossed the linedef even by accident. Oh well.

This was a pretty fun little challenge, hopefully I didn't fuck anything up, died in the pretty big fight behind the yellow key door in E1M5 (Also finished secret level)

Category 2, demo for GZDoom 4.8.2

NiGHTS108dwil-nov.zip

Cat 2, UV

Survived +1 @ 42 minutes. Didn't go for UV MAX's for the most part.

This run made me really appreciate E1 a little bit more, and reminded me how many fucking monster closets the base game has. Turbo Pinkies are no fun; also I never enjoyed E1M7 up until, well, now. I might just have more patience nowadays.

titoE1GottaGoFast.zip

Prepared run, survived in 20:51

Comments: Quite mediocre compared to some other entries, plus is a prepared run so I guess it's not as impressive. Still managed to survive, which I consider quite a big achievement, especially with that dehacked heh. No secret map.

Zip: ironlol6nov.zip

The zip has a text file with all the relevant info, but I'll drop it here just in case :>

Spoiler

Ironman League November 2022

Runner:        xX_Lol6_Xx
Iwad:        DOOM.WAD
Deh:        dwil-nov.deh
Episode:    E1
Maps:        E1M1-E1M8
Exe:        Woof 10.4.0 -complevel 3
Category:    Prepared Run

Time:        25:51 aprox

Quote me if anything is wrong and thanks for watching I guess :>

Category 2, Survived, like 40 minutes

LudiDoomE1DEH.zip

I also did M9 because I'm a cocky motherfucker

Definitely would not have survived if not for knowing most of the secrets beforehand. The baron fight at the end clipping me like that made my heart stop!

So I messed up and accidentally ran the run with complevel 3 on, which negated the .deh file and ended up dying at M8 (I was not 100% sure at the time the .deh was working or not). Since I started the run but it did not count anyway, am I aloud to attempt the run again this time without complevel set? If not I understand.

13 minutes ago, Brainfreezzzzz said:

So I messed up and accidentally ran the run with complevel 3 on, which negated the .deh file and ended up dying at M8 (I was not 100% sure at the time the .deh was working or not). Since I started the run but it did not count anyway, am I aloud to attempt the run again this time without complevel set? If not I understand.

Weird, I used complevel 3 and the .deh worked fine.

13 minutes ago, Andromeda said:

Weird, I used complevel 3 and the .deh worked fine.

After doing some testing with other wads I realized that it was not the complevel, I tried running the sharp things wad to test from last month with complevel 3 and the .deh and it worked perfectly fine. I am not sure why this happened to me but it might be because I used the dsda-launcher gui?

I think I am just gonna sit this month out actually.

Edit: I am pretty certain it is a bug with dsda-launcher, it seems when I add the .deh file in the wads tab, it does not load the .deh, but when I add it into the additional parameters box "-deh dwil-nov.deh", it loads perfectly. Maybe I will just stick to adding .deh files in the future in the additional parameters box to be safe next time, it is just weird how it worked when I put the .deh in the wad tab for sharp things but not doom 1. I am still gonna skip this month though. Thought I would share in case anyone found this useful.

Edited by Brainfreezzzzz

Category 3 in the sense that I did a practice run with just fast monsters at first. Then I accidentally did another when I didn't quite specify the full path to the .deh file. In all three of my runs, I died in E1M3. "Magic number" indeed.

sidwi-e1.zip

@Brainfreezzzzz shame it didn't work for you, you're more than welcome to submit a prepared run if you fancy.  Anyone else not sure if the dehacked is working; when you pick up your first shotty of one of the Sarges up top and you get any more than 2 shells in it, you've not got it going correctly

If someone submits a cat 1 for this month I am going to have a lot of questions.. but props on deciding that this was the way to play E1 the first time lol.

Anyways, last month was terrible for me. Spent almost all of it in a choking smoke plume, terrible air quality around 250 AQI on a good day. Air had texture to it, and if I stood outside long enough I'd have enough to chew. Alas due to personal health issues I was limited in what I could do, respirator on all day even indoors. Overall not a great month, had to sacrifice doing a few things. Ever have a burning sensation just from breathing? Do not recommend the experience. I hate wildfires. It's like standing inside of a bonfire. Evac orders were initially sent out, and then quickly disregarded. State fire fighters gave up fighting it about four days into fighting it. It burned until the weather changed; with that said...

Prepared: Explored the .deh file myself without reading the initial post. Very interesting.
VideoLink: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1647320000
Comment: I always choke in the last room of M6, and knowing my encroaching defeat I ended it quicker by giving the closest barrel a warm hug before exploding it.

Edit: The webcam on the status bar is an overlay in the broadcasting sofrware and is no way a mod. It's the only place I could fit my face without covering other important info. Went with Prepared as my gut feeling.

Edited by ClumsyCryptid : Decided Prepared fits better than Cat 3.

On 11/1/2022 at 1:21 AM, dt_ said:

I'll be honest, i don't know what a longtic is, or what it means.

-longtics is an optional parameter when recording demos. The default is short tics, with short tics your angle is recorded in a single byte (a byte has 8 bits, so it can store 2^8 or 256 values) meaning you can only look in 256 directions, which results in slightly jittery mouse movement that some people say they feel when recording demos. With longtics it uses 2 bytes every tic letting you look in fractional directions (which is also how the game normally runs outside of demos). But since you're using 2 bytes every frame it increases the file size of the demo, the difference is negligible nowadays but back in the day with 90s internet speeds it was significant, especially if you were recording a full playthrough. Today though there's no reason not to use longtics (unless whoever you're recording demos for asks for shorttics).

Never again. I nearly lost it in E1M3 and only finished E1M6 because I  just remembered where the exit was. And E1M7 was far easier to navigate than I remember. I could've probably completed that under 6 minutes in other circumstances, but this was hard enough as it was.

Category: 2

Survived in 29:51

lmd_ironE1.zip

Cat II, survived in 57:05 (with the secret lev, but who cares) (slow'n'steady lol).

Oh man, that was a very interesting experience! I never thought it would be so hard to get used to fast monsters for folks like me who don't play fast at all. Nearly ded on E1M1 :D

Almost ded in a couple more places due to some instant 200/200 -> 30/30, almost ran out of ammo once... Got lost a few times as well, I think the last time I played E1 was 2014 lol. Still, remember roughly 3/4 of the secrets, some of whose actually helped me a lot. But "200/200, I'm invincible!" doesn't work anymore, as well as "50 shells, I have infinite ammo" hehe.

TBH I prefer such game mods which make a game way more difficult with the same amount of enemies much more than "ok add 200 more hitscanners". Esp. ammo shortening is my G-spot. I dunno why 99.8% of the great Doom WADs don't alter the dehacked stuff :P

dvvd1deh.zip

EDIT: 

OK. I just noticed that I didn't play with fast monsters on. (-iwad doom.wad -deh dwil-nov.deh -warp 1 1 -skill 4 -complevel 3 -record dwi_pegleg_doome1deh_cat2) I don't play with fast monsters on, so I didn't know what to look for, and they seemed faster than usual to me.

But you know what? I don't care. I made it through and survived the episode (without fast monsters), so I'm going to leave this entry here, even if it's actually disqualified. I'm happy and proud of my accomplishment.

I didn't think I would ever say this in a Doomworld Ironman League, but I SURVIVED!!!!

Survived in 1:20:04 (no secret level)

PrBoom+ 2.5.1.4

dwi_pegleg_doome1deh_cat2.zip

The last time I played through KDiTD was December 2020 for the Wadmaster Endurance, and that was on HMP. The last time I played KDiTD on UV was 1994, and it was shareware version 1.2. This Dehacked file was definitely an interesting ride. I was almost out of ammo in a couple spots--the chainsaw is absolutely essential for taking care of the demons and the specters, which will chew up your valuable ammo otherwise. And the fast monsters, along with double damage imp fireballs, can tear you up in a heartbeat. Nevertheless, it was fun.

DEAD: E1M7

Time of Arrival: 41:29

Time of Death: 49:22

Kills: 90/150

Pee Breaks: 1

Port: Prboom-Plus 2.5.1.3

Cmd: prboom-plus.exe -deh .\dwil-nov.deh -iwad doom -warp 1 1 -complevel 3 -skill 4 -shorttics -record noisy_dwil-nov.lmp -nomusic -fast

Demo: noisy_dwil-nov.zip

Whew!  I was able to milk a few secrets here and there, but it got sweaty at the end when crawling around at 1 hp on Map 7.  What a glorious deh file.  I didn't pick up on what it was doing at first, but figured it out after a bit.  A really good Ironman pick.

The most disappointing part of having a disqualified run is not showing up on the standard leaderboard, which will break a scoring streak dating back to September 2018. Oh well, reading is fundamental, and this is the consequence of my not having read the instructions carefully enough. Anyhoo, here is my prepared run, which went better than I was expecting it to given that this is my first time playing with fast monsters.

Dead on: E1M5

Kills: 127/131

Time of death: 52:52

Time entering E1M5: 41:05

-iwad doom.wad -deh dwil-nov.deh -warp 1 1 -skill 4 -complevel 3 -fast -record dwi_pegleg_doome1deh-fast

dwi_pegleg_doome1deh-fast.zip

Well, the fast monsters definitely increased the stress level. I wouldn't necessarily say that it was less fun, just more stressful. Ultimately, my run came to an abrupt end when I decided to try to make a run for the exit in E1M5 before I had cleared out the other side of penultimate room. Unfortunately, that ended up leaving me boxed in and chewed up in a pile on the ground.

My first demo recording ever, my first DWIronman ever, my first Ironman ever period, my first ever serious attempt at playing -fast... Needless to say this did not end well, but better than I expected. I think the only reason I made it this far is because I know E1M1-2-3 like the back of my hand, you can tell from my fumbling around starting in M4 that I know the later maps less well. It was certainly interesting and a very different way of playing for me, knowing all the secrets and optional areas, keeping a mental note on which ones I want to go for and which ones are better left alone. I have no idea how you can get things like time of death and so on out of the demo file, I hope it's ok to just post the lmp.

Port: DSDA-Doom 0.24.3

Dead on E1M5, ambush past the yellow door. Those fast spectres wrecked me.

Demo: dwilbrick.zip