Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

What are you playing now?

Something called Valiant. It's buttery smooth.

In the small wad rotation, Dimension of the Boomed and Preacher. Soon to include Disjunction with new levels just added.

I finished playing Mutiny and I loved it, the texture usage was so creative. My favorite map was MAP13 "Laboratory".

The Abyss from 1995. Playing and replaying. The design is on par with Trooper's Playground, better than your average Master Levels map, new textures are few and weird, texture choice is poor in general, I absolutely detested the ubiquitous marbles in the first few levels, when they switch to brick/grey/brown it was OK.

The maps are sweet though, with lots of verticality and lovely twisted staircases. They play well, barring some bullshit arch-viles with no cover. Beware, though: pistol starts lack weapons sometimes, which can be fixed by using -solo-net option (MAP16 for instance). I think I liked MAP05,06,09,11,13,16,19,20 and maybe some more. Cool WAD.

Started Plutonia Revisited over the weekend. I love Plutonia, and had a blast playing Plutonia 2 last year, so this was on my must-play list. Right off the bat it's so vicious (even on HMP) that I got a bit crabby, but I still cranked through the first 6 maps.

I'm not with my studies yet thus I still have some free time. I'm playing Urania, which is a Plutonia styled megawad but with longer maps. Very recommendable

I'm playing Ancient Aliens on HMP in QZDoom right now. I'm about half-way through despite my concerns that it would be beyond my level of play. Thus far it has shown me how much I am capable of in Doom, which has been a great experience. It's quite a refreshing WAD visually too, with some very unique locales for battling Demons Aliens. I also really like the redesigned Mancubus and new enemies.

Also been playing Plutonia 2 occasionally on the side but not actively. It's pretty cool and so far seems less difficult than the original, which is good for me since I hate some of the cheaper tricks in Plutonia, but sometimes it feels like the visual style I fell in love with in Plutonia isn't quite there. I guess it's cool for them to differentiate themselves though.

Replayed and beat Requiem totally legit this time (turns out that crusher corridor in MAP29 is totally doable after all..). Found Requiem more enjoyable and had no ammo problem this time around (not that I ever hated it). Finished up JPCP mostly legit (no-clipped through Space Port Panik after losing desire to play). Do hope to play more Burabo Jr. and Tooooooasty maps in the future.

Now working on Hell Revealed, a replay of STRAIN, and HYMN for Heretic.

Downloaded and started in on Doom 64: Retribution, and what else can I say other than "Wow!" I played Absolution once upon a time, and Console Doom, both of which I enjoyed; and I've always meant to get around to Doom 64 EX, but have always been put off by the "feel" of it, if you get my meaning. Retribution is da bomb, tho. Wasn't planning on anything more than testing out MAP01 to see how things ran, but ended up doing the first two maps anyway. I guess I'm in for the long haul on this one.

I'm giving Ancient Aliens a try, since i missed it when it came out, and i've been quite busy since. It's very pretty, and the challenge is good too. Atleast the first 6 maps are; i haven't played the rest yet

Finished darken.wad a few times, something between iron man and a speedrun, 37 minutes and 22 seconds. On MAP07 the mancubuses are supposed to teleport in but they didn't. It happened second time in a row. The first time was a ragequit, this time I just looked at the red key pillar and decided to "steal" it from the pillar, as it was my only hope. It worked from a direction I didn't expect it would work. Anyway, Nick Baker, your map suck!

Quick review

MAP01 - forgettable, actually confusing for something this short and linear. "EXIT" arrows is a nice touch

MAP02 - a bit silly mini-maze, besides that I like it a lot. Good looking and plays well.

MAP03 - Positives: after pressing gargoyle switch an imp jumps in from a window in a funny way. The arch-vile is super memorable, mega surprising. The map looks nice. Everything else sucks, it is a mediocre, mediocre "open door, shoot monsters in a room behind" level.

MAP04. My favourite Beautiful vistas, unique texturing which I liked a lot. Not hard but keeps you busy.

MAP05. Hard unless you know the soulsphere secret which is a very cool secret concept BTW. There are just tons of annoyingly placed hitscanners. If you survive them, here's a surprise arch-vile in the open for you ;)

MAP06. LOL at the crate with the megasphere. Short, too dark, nothing special, but it's actually OK, not too annoying.

MAP07. Baaaaad.

MAP08. A few years ago I thought it was the best map from the set. It has the most advanced custom texturing and looks nice. But geez, the gameplay is awful. The arch-vile trio in a crate room is pretty bad, but at least it's an original bit (you may charge or you may camp but camping is risky: you may run out of ammo). The rest is awful!!

MAP09. I didn't like it. The first time I replayed it this year I discovered a "secret" and got punished by dying in nukage (there's a way out, just not obvious for me). Symmetry, barons... The trap with four cacos is nice as it is surprisingly evil.

MAP10. Short, not bad, the ending is weird.

MAP11. Something's missing here. OK, a cyberdemon, but it's just too easy.

I am currently playing Doom the Way id Did. This is the first time I play this megawad and I have completed (UV difficulty, continuous game and no saves, except once for the very beginning of each level) the first episode, getting 100%/100%/100% save for the last one, because Chocolate Doom (at least, the version I have) does not show the tally screen of ExM8 levels.

And yes, it somehow reminds the style and tropes of the classic Knee-Deep in the Dead, with bigger levels though.

Just for curiosity, does a Lost Episodes compilation of Doom 2 the Way id Did exist? While it is mentioned in the original post of Final Doom The Way id Did, I have not found so far such compilation.

On 20/2/2014 at 1:21 AM, Tarnsman said:

No slots will be reserved (even after the project is "full" there will be a bump period to give maps a chance to get in) and any maps that do not make the final cut will go into an overflow project (this does not mean the maps suck, there are many good maps in DTWID LE/D2TWID LE).

I'm currently playing Speed of Doom for the doomworld club, aside from that I'm also playing Harmony, the only ZDoom wad I've ever played, I guess I fell into temptation... and also Doom for PSX in UV.

Going through D2INO. I think Gotcha! is my favorite so far, there's just something hilarious about running past a massive horde of barons and knights to take refuge in a castle and locking the door behind you.

I finished A.L.T yesterday. I love atmosphere of this wad and I saw a lot of original ideas. Now,I'm going to grab STRAIN and play it.

Finished Oracle by Jim Flynn and Scott Harper. Not sure who did what. Map03 is super ugly and forgettable, I'll only talk about Map02.

A few areas look nicer than your standard Flynn Titan etc. level, the rest is just ugly. However, using the custom sky was a nice touch and helped forgetting about how badly designed it was. Then it just like Titan's: super confusing, plenty of rockets, you press all the switches but you miss that important one for ages... Never_Again's demos helped. I discovered the red key was not necessary, Never_Again had discovered that, too. The map kept me entertained for about 2 hours.

Only the Strong by Sascha Mueller. Play mueller03 first! This map (strong.wad) looks mega amateurish and has plenty of mapping errors. But it is large, difficult and somehow fascinating. Not that far from Flynn when it comes to surprises and discovering new things constantly. Non-linear but the ammo is sufficient only if you know where to go first... The backpack is extremely important. One design highlight was a switch, when you press it you may go past the switch, weird but I loved it. And also the cyber <-> masterming battle as you may release some minor monsters or arachnotrons while they fight which is very fun. Still don't know how to get one secret (ramparts).

I'm replaying my own map to see where I made mistakes. Not so funny after some weeks,heh. 

Scythe 2, map 25, and I stopped enjoying it around map 24. The map has the bad kind of slaughter with dickish traps that are completely impossible to survive unless you know they're there.

I rather did like Doom Gardens, though. Berserk-centered map so late in the WAD was a surprise, and general lack of health and ammo pickups keeps you on your toes. I spent most of the time on the map with around 30% health.

Not sure if I'll be willing to play Scythe X when I've finished this one.

s2 21+ is ace imo, with 23 and 26 being personal favorites :D.

if you liked the early maps in s1/s2, odds are you'll dig sX. it may even feel easy/banal coming off of the ruthless e3 of s2.

26 minutes ago, Rathori said:

Scythe 2, map 25, and I stopped enjoying it around map 24.

Yeah, I never made it past MAP23 and really don't care to go back and try again all these years later.

Don't let that put you off Scythe X, though; only two episodes were ever released, so it never has the chance to ramp up to the ridiculous slaughter levels that 2 achieved.

28 minutes ago, Rathori said:

Scythe X is an episode worth of small, intense maps more akin to Plutonia Set To 11 or Unholy Realms... second time I'm mentioning it inside of 15 minutes, what the hell. Don't shun it based on your dislike for Scythe 2's slaughtery finale!

16 minutes ago, Ribbiks said:

s2 21+ is ace imo, with 23 and 26 being personal favorites :D.

if you liked the early maps in s1/s2, odds are you'll dig sX. it may even feel easy/banal coming off of the ruthless e3 of s2.

Eh?  The techbase/mining episode of S2 isn't tough at all (well, unless you count the challenge of bringing yourself to play the borefest that is map 14 without saying "screw this" and either typing idclev 15 or using the speedrun shortcut with the switch at the start).

Danne's E1. Pretty odd combo (given what the mapper is known for), i found that intriguing so gave it a spin. It gets more slaughtery as the set progresses, and unsurprisingly plays better as it goes too.

Wow, that's a lot of feedback. I did enjoy the first halves of S1/S2 so I'll give Scythe X a try after I've suffered through the rest of S2. Thanks for your replies, guys!

1 hour ago, Cynical said:

Eh?  The techbase/mining episode of S2 isn't tough at all (well, unless you count the challenge of bringing yourself to play the borefest that is map 14 without saying "screw this" and either typing idclev 15 or using the speedrun shortcut with the switch at the start).

oh. my bad, I meant e3 in the conventional sense, maps 21-30.

Doom 64 EX. Also I dig some map design here and there.

The crushers at MAP02 freaked me out!

Edited by riderr3

Icarus: Alien Vanguard

Playing in PrBoom+ on UV difficulty. Despite this wad's reputation as being a bit bland, I'm enjoying the overall challenge and experience. After playing quite a few TCs and modded games recently, it's a pleasant change to be engaging with Doom in 'bread and butter' format. I'm on level 18 and have taken about 7.5 hours to get this far, based on the in-game 'clock'.

Edited by Summer Deep