Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Eclipse

Damn it! The only eclipse I had seen or something like that was when I was at school, during daytime (2nd or 3rd class of high school, 1 or 2 years ago). I got to see it for a few moments, using our teacher's special glasses, like everybody else did. And it was pretty nice, I guess.

Hopefully I can get out of work before it happens so I can at least see the effect it has on the light outside. I'm paranoid of going blind so I probably won't look at it at all directly.

@Grazza Sod's law! I think the Faroe Islands were where all the eclipse hunters went that time, funnily enough they got all the clouds, iirc :P

On 20.8.2017 at 2:36 AM, Linguica said:

So is anyone gonna see the eclipse?

Download link?

10 hours ago, axdoomer said:

What could go wrong? I even borrowed some binoculars from a friend so I can see the eclipse closer.

The "you'll go blind" thing is a conspiracy theory, I have never met a person who went blind because of an eclipse. I don't even know a person who has ever met a person who when blind from looking at an eclipse.

I'm sure George Soros paid for that "don't look at the eclipse" propaganda. CNN said that people shouldn't stare directly at the eclipse. #CNNfakeNews

Go take a good look at the sun today when the eclipse happens and then tell us how it feels.

In other news, today starting at 10:00PM PDT I'm going to kill the sun. They tell you the sun is big and far away but it is not.

17 minutes ago, Jaxxoon R said:

In other news, today starting at 10:00PM PDT I'm going to kill the sun. They tell you the sun is big and far away but it is not.

I believe in you brother, sending good vibes, kill him dead

Hmm, looks like I don't have to worry about accidentally fucking my eyes up. It's cloudy here :D

Well that prevents any sort of spectacle, but honestly where I am there wasn't going to be any in the first place.

Saw it here in Oregon, found it strangely romantic with my S/O. Felt like the world was ending when the fog crept in and the street lights came on as everything dimmed. So yeah I enjoyed the mini-apocalypse!

In my region, it peaks in about half an hour from this post. I see my neighbors across the street fiddling with their eclipse glasses.

seems a little moot though given the really dense cloud coverage. maybe it'll clear by then, but I doubt it. It's also only 89% totality so I have my doubts there's going to be any spectacle even if the clouds were gone.

How dense is it? Keep in mind even with the moon in between the light can still be as harmful as if staring into the whole sun, and some clouds still let a fucklot of light to shrine through 

39 minutes ago, CARRiON said:

Just saw it. Awesome. Someone was playing Black Hole Sun in the parking lot next to me.

That's a win to me. 

Peaking here in the UK right now! Partly cloudy sky, 4% totality, looks exactly like a normal evening out there, hell yeah!

Meh....

I couldn't enjoy it completely were i live, but on livestream it was beautiful, what do you guys think?

Took an hour and a half off from work & joined the congregating masses in a park next to the sea. Only 80% occlusion, but still, it was time well-spent.

I had watched a total solar eclipse many, many, years ago. The place got dark and all the birds were on the ground and silent. It was eerie and unsettling.

Apparently 93% occlusion ain't shit, 'cuz it just looked like 7pm at 2:30. Big whoop.

My school managed to get and give every safety glasses then let everyone outside so they can't miss out.

Edited by Idiotinforntofadesk : Removed a line. I made this as a thread but didn't realize there was already a thread made for it.

Saw it in Madras OR and I am currently enjoying a 5 hour car trip to go the 50 miles back to Bend. 

From my location, there was only 58% occlusion. You couldn't see it without a special filter, because the sun was very strong and all you could see were the rays of light. I have to wait until April 8 2024 so I can see a total eclipse.

Here's a map of the next solar eclipses for those who are interested:

Spoiler

Tracks-2017-24l.png

We got a a partial eclipse over here in Canada so the sun was pretty much in a crescent shape. What I really liked though was when I put on those eclipse glasses the whole sky turned dark as if I where in space and the sun was around the same size as the moon I see every night. Never expected it to be that small in the sky.

35 minutes ago, Doominator2 said:

the sun was around the same size as the moon I see every night. Never expected it to be that small in the sky.

The sun is 400 times the size of the moon and is 400 times further away, so they actually appear pretty much the exact same size. This is literally why total solar eclipses look the way they do :)

Worth also adding that the moon is receding from the Earth, so one day total eclipses will cease to be a thing.