Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
everennui

what are you working on? I wanna see your wads.

5 hours ago, TheHambourgeois said:

scrapped an old version of this map, but im picking up and beginning anew. Hopefully this makes a convincing horizon???? if not fuck it ill just make a big walled port.

outpostnew.png.5d43c271b5d0767121f600375dc02656.png

in GZDoom there is a "line horizon" line def option. i used this in map05 of pinta-pack in a weird way.

it continues the floor and ceiling texture from the side your viewing the line from.

this is how i would do it but i only now it's in GZdoom idk if it's in any others.

i know for sure it's not in PRBoom+ or under. and no Boom version.

44 minutes ago, Egregor said:

Yeah, I've run into the same problem both in my maps and others, ID tech 1 engine struggles to make a convincing ocean/sea horizon. I know @mouldy 's new mapset Overboard does a pretty good example of this though, so I'd recommend taking a look at what he did there.

honestly i remembered i was mapping in zdoom and I can just use line_horizon lol. vanilla/chocolate has trouble tho

50 minutes ago, Egregor said:

ID tech 1 engine struggles to make a convincing ocean/sea horizon

You just draw the ocean really far away right? I'm working with an island map and that seems to work well enough

32 minutes ago, VisionThing said:

doom08.png

I don't know what it is yet, but its very green. I had this idea where the level itself is trying to kill you every step of the way, but:

A) I don't know how to pull that off

B) It would probably be more annoying and less clever than it sounds in my head

In typical fashion, I've hit the third room and have no idea where to go from there. yay!

Make it darker & put some dynamic lights in there!!!!

22 hours ago, TheHambourgeois said:

scrapped an old version of this map, but im picking up and beginning anew. Hopefully this makes a convincing horizon???? if not fuck it ill just make a big walled port.

[pic]

After remembering about line horizon, still very much a WIP:
outpostnew.png.7719e2086d6334edc708a563b08f5eda.png

Old rejected version at twice the grid scale. Trying to tell myself I made real changes rather than just mapped myself in a circle:

outpostold.png.0ec8d9b1e5c1e09ba41338e3de73bfde.png

On 10/23/2022 at 4:50 AM, Dusty_Rhodes said:

@NiGHTMARE I gotta commend you for the overhauls of the stock maps. These screenshots seem like they really reimagine Doom 2. Looking forward to this.

Thank you. I've been working on Doom 1 as well, and had been focusing on trying to get E1 finished. I hit a mapper's block a couple of months ago, and decided to finish off the first seven levels of Doom 2 first instead. So far I'd say everything except MAP04 and MAP06 is at least 90% complete - those two are probably around 20% done.

Edited by NiGHTMARE

On 10/16/2022 at 6:31 AM, VisionThing said:

doom08.png

I don't know what it is yet, but its very green. I had this idea where the level itself is trying to kill you every step of the way, but:

A) I don't know how to pull that off

B) It would probably be more annoying and less clever than it sounds in my head

In typical fashion, I've hit the third room and have no idea where to go from there. yay!

There's only a few ways for the level to kill you: Crushers (perpetual, floor-> ceiling, ceiling->floor), poison floors, voodoo doll teleport traps, and barrels (+crushers). Just make sure to somehow subtly signpost the deadly spots. Have different types of signposts. Signpost safe spots using different signpost types.

I might as well post some shots of Water, Blood & Fire. The map is almost done. It just needs some touches to the skybox and other beautification stuff. That's done, the map is out now!

lIJFS4t.jpg

More:

iaZHh76.jpg

2Mo63dP.jpg

yZ0xqgf.jpg

OY2Ql3F.jpg

l9GVcP2.jpg

qgepcfT.jpg

nNJQODG.jpg

JoxiwPT.jpg

zcdqMYt.jpg

ABaEqCm.jpg