Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Faustrecht

Your Favourite Doom title ?

Hey guys.

I just wonder what other Doom fans enjoyed mostly and why ?

Since its part of my childhood was Doom 2 my absolute favourite. But also Final Doom and doom 3 was also nice.

Even when i was in school i played it with my classmates on school computers with the good old floppy when we had a break and the teacher left the Classroom.
U Remember that time? I think most of you are in my age and do.

By Doom 2 i found it relaxing (On lower difficulty) to roam over the levels and find secrets while i enjoyed the athmosphere.

But of course later i tried a nightmare. Well still today i never have beaten Doom 2 on nightmare without cheats.

How about you ? Whats your Favourite Doom ?

For me I'd give it to DooM 2. Ultimate DooM is pretty good but episode 4 ruined it for me... not to mention by theend of episode 3 you've seen everything DooM 1 offered.

DooM 3 kept me gripped with its horror and jump scares as well as its lore. Plus, both DLC's were fun to roam through. ^_^

Final DooM was weird. TNT had some great and some god awful map designs. For the most part though TNT was kinda fun to play.

Plutonia? *insert chaingunners shooting, arch viles igniting and reveneants going AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA over and over*

And then there's DooM 4... the less I say of it... the better...

Among the 4 main doom games, my favourite is definitely Doom 2 (this also includes Final Doom). Doom 1 comes at second place due to E1 and E4 being enjoyable. But Doom 1 has limited bestiary and E2+E3 are not that enjoyable for me.

Then comes Doom 2016. The game is fun and fast paced with tight gameplay mechanics. However it suffers from arena rooms problem in the later half of the campaign. And it is also not as moddable as classic doom games are.

At the very bottom comes Doom 3. This game... ugh... this game is just too slow and dark for my liking. The weapons feel clunky and level design is just dark techbase corridors. Also jump scares become predictable after a while.

Probably Doom 3, it's terribly flawed in some areas but I have a soft spot for it. Doom 1 is a close second, followed by Doom 2 because SSG.

1 hour ago, tempdecal.wad said:

Probably Doom 3, it's terribly flawed in some areas but I have a soft spot for it. Doom 1 is a close second, followed by Doom 2 because SSG.

Yes thats what i liked on Doom 3.

Best are the Imps in cutscenes :D The Guy with tha lamp and the corridor. (i wont tell too much bcoz i dont wanna spoil others)

The Only Disappointment was that it had no huge areas like classic doom. But the athmosphere made you forget this.

Doom 2016 is my worst. I dunno but first i dont like the spawnsystem of Opponents and the locked areas while infight gone heavy on immersion. And u had almost unlimited Ammo (Chainsaw). It became obvious if you just have to find the last Enemy.

There are also extreme difficulty spikes which feels on some parts unfair. I remember Hell where i have to fight 2 Archviles ,dozens of Sergeants and Cyberdemons at same time in a small area without much cover. That part was not challenging it was freaking frustrating.
Yeah it has stunning graphics and a good athmosphere. but i simply dont like it. Also the Climb-Parts made me pissed off without savepoints.(U jump one time wrong and u have to start this again.)

The Story was alos nothing special. Story was like Doom 3 but this time with an insane Female scientist.

Feels a bit like a mix of Doom and Painkiller which also had this problem.

@Matt i dunno Maximum Doom but i think i should give a shot on this.

1 hour ago, tempdecal.wad said:

Doom3 for me is like the retarded child of the bunch...
Just, something not right with him... still adorable, part of the family and loved as much as all the others... but slightly retarded... a bit "challenged"... LOL

Visually Doom3 broke new ground just as Doom did, and them Quake, then Quake III Arena etc. and still to this day is absolutely stunning (to the point where the visual gap between Doom3 to Doom16 is smaller than Doom/2 to Doom3... which says a LOT for idtech4 and how it still holds up so well today against idtech6). What leaves it short for me is the feel... it simply doesn't feel like Doom. It's more like a first-person Resident Evil (nothing wrong with that at all by the way) with the "Doom" name attached to it and unfortunately, when you attach the name "Doom" to something... fans expect Doom. And it wasn't. BUT, I do love it, it is a unique experience unto itself and I enjoyed playing it... but yeah, the retarded child LOL

I DESPISE the Doom movie for this same reason. It completely misrepresents the Doom franchise and gets it completely wrong in a way that Doom3 doesn't even compete with. The Doom movie was an embarressment and I was ashamed to admit to people I loved Doom after it released... it made the whole franchise look ridiculous. Thankfully shit movies like that are quickly forgotten :)

Great (and slightly retarded) games are remembered fondly forever <3

28 minutes ago, DoomSpud said:

Doom3 for me is like the retarded child of the bunch...

This is probably why I like it, I don't know why but I really like it when developers take games in new directions and aren't afraid to try different things, not to sound edgy or special but I just have a weird love/hate relationship with Doom 3.

1 minute ago, tempdecal.wad said:

not to sound edgy or special but I just have a weird love/hate relationship with Doom 3.

Me too. Hence my post. For all it's flaws and departure from the core of what is Doom, it's still a great and enjoyable game <3

Hdoom.

Nah, but really, Doom II. I prefer getting reamed by misaligned textures and American McGee's random torch-secrets instead of waifu-imps.

I'd wanna say the shareware version of Doom is my favorite of the bunch. I feel it has the best level design and it holds a soft place in my heart.

Foom, the long-forgotten text-based adventure, is easily the best Doom related game of all time!

Doom 64; it's like almost everything I like about Doom I and II individually rolled into one! 

Doom 64 and PSX Doom here, for their stellar, thick atmosphere and solid sound design accompanied by a soundtrack that's just as good. They will never replace the original Doom games, and that's not the point anyway, I'm just glad there's so many different games in the series, they all have something different to offer.

I know, the question was what's your favorite Doom title, not which game you think is better than the rest of the games.

Ultimate Doom 2: The Evilution Experiment on Earth 2016

In all seriousness though, I probably played Doom 2 the most. So I'll go with that. 

It's hard to decide. Doom 3 is my COOLEST FPS EVER, but makes me tired too fast and is annoying sometimes.

So original Doom gets the crown for being so fun and perfectly playable! Favorite IWADS: Ultimate Doom, Doom II, Plutonia.

For me its Doom 95/Ultimate Doom, and even then its mostly because of Episode 1. I could replay that whole episode vanilla, brutal, Romero's two new maps, randomizers, etc etc and the levels never get old.

Doom 2 is the one I played the most as a child because thats all we owned (and the shareware of Doom 1) so it holds a special spot in my heart.

I didn't get to Final Doom until sometime in the 00s and neither one clicked for me. Except for maybe Go 2 It as it was my first experience with a map like that.

Doom 64 was fun although it scared me as a kid so I never wanted to get too far because I was scared of the redesigns (seriously the Hellknight and Cacodemon redesigns freaked me out) I grew to appreciate it a lot more since EX came out.

Doom 3 and expansions I like. I played the OG Xbox version coop just last month and had a lot of fun.

Doom 2016 is great and I look forward to Eternal.

I also replay all the mainline Doom games at least once a year each (with the exception of Final Doom :()

On 7/22/2019 at 10:32 AM, Doomkid said:

Foom, the long-forgotten text-based adventure, is easily the best Doom related game of all time!

Serious? Searching for 'Foom' revealed a free-drink app, and some Marvel comic thing, but no text adventure. If this is real, I'd like to check it out. Link?

Oh, and favorite Doom title? The alphas and beta are kinda neat. But I fell in love with v0.99 Shareware.

Doom I from 1993, i'm probably on the minority but i don't like Thy Flesh Consumed, episode 4 feels unnecessary and sometimes boring, it could've been better if the episode ended with 2 or more cyberdemons as bosses instead of a spidermastermind like in the previous episode. I liked Perfect Hatred and Unto the Cruel tough.

Plutonia, because it combines interesting and surreal level design with fast-paced and tight gameplay. While i love Doom II and its maps from the bottom of my heart, the encounters don't feel as satisfying.

I also have a strange fondness for Doom 3, maybe it's because it was my first entry into the series (maybe my first FPS in general) back in the day and i was scared shitless of it.