Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dusty_Rhodes

[CANCELED]Community Chest 5

1 hour ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

I appreciate you posting that. I read through multiple times while getting the op ready. Honestly I'm quite embarrassed that I was so inconsiderate to the previous CC manager, and I'm going to cancel.

I don't think you should cancel.

But it would be a nice gesture to contact The Green Herring and maybe get his input on this?

13 minutes ago, CBM said:

But it would be a nice gesture to contact The Green Herring and maybe get his input on this?

He posted in the thread. 

I'd suggest a different name. Indeed I think Community Chest 5, if it ever happens, should be a Boom project, with a custom texture pack.

What about Team Trunk, or Sodality Sack?

Maybe no maps slots for authors because that may create an inconsistency of mapping themes (MAP05 very hard, MAP06 less hard), submitted maps are arranged by theme, size and monster count. Think of my own Pcorf community projects (Doom 2 Unleashed and 2048 Unleashed). All maps submitted were saved as MAP01 apart from MAP15, 31, etc and then were rearranged into their appropriate slots, etc.

2 hours ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

You guys are both right. I'm probably going to cancel, and if not, do a serious rewrite of the rules.

No need to cancel the whole thing, I'd just call it something else and not Community Chest 5. Or make it a sort of spin-off CC megawad, but not CC5.

Really like the name 'Community's Trunk' from Slovinator. That makes sense for it being more of an homage to CC1 and CC2 as well.

Edited by Grimosaur

Definitely don't cancel.  I'll contribute a map or 2 regardless of what direction you take it.  Just giving it a new name I guess would be alright if you want to stick with limit removing ports.

Hell, I wouldn't blame you, I would have made this exact same mistake if I posted about this.  From me, what I've seen from your past activity is that you're a passionate member, can't fault you for getting stoked on continuing an excellent (damn excellent even) series.

Let us know what you'll do, and I'm sure you'll get some great content.

2 hours ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

You guys are both right. I'm probably going to cancel, and if not, do a serious rewrite of the rules.

Do not cancel it, I encourage you to change the name and maybe recreate the rules, so it doesn't become an unofficial prequel (sequel?).

Wow, when I clicked I didn't realize it would be such controversy in this thread. Made me realize how difficult an undertaking hosting such community project must be. Based on what others say, if you want to go through with it, it might indeed be a better idea to name it something else, should you prefer to steer away a bit from the conventions introduced by the Community Chest projects.

57 minutes ago, CBM said:

I don't think you should cancel.

I was disrespectful to him, so out of consideration for him, I canceling it. Sorry all.

As others have said, I don't think you necessarily needed to cancel the whole thing. But I would also echo the sentiments that running CPs, or at least running them well, requires a lot of effort or a lot of experience.

If you're keen on running one, my personal advice would be to take part in a few first: get a feel for the flow, how things get organized, the pitfalls etc. You could even offer to help out with the organization of an existing CP - lend your time and energy and get a closer look at the process without the full responsibility being on your shoulders.

This isn't meant to tempur your enthusiasm, more guidance to stop you getting overwhelmed and burning out (which I've seen far too many times with promising CPs set up by people with too little experience).

15 minutes ago, Bauul said:

As others have said, I don't think you necessarily needed to cancel the whole thing. But I would also echo the sentiments that running CPs, or at least running them well, requires a lot of effort or a lot of experience.

If you're keen on running one, my personal advice would be to take part in a few first: get a feel for the flow, how things get organized, the pitfalls etc. You could even offer to help out with the organization of an existing CP - lend your time and energy and get a closer look at the process without the full responsibility being on your shoulders.

This isn't meant to tempur your enthusiasm, more guidance to stop you getting overwhelmed and burning out (which I've seen far too many times with promising CPs set up by people with too little experience).

however, he needs to try and run a CP before he can get experience with CPs... I have no experience with CPs, yet I am running the Booked CP.. to gain experience... granted, I have the help and support of David.. but still

Uhm... I think is too drastic to cancel this because on paper looks like a interesting project (like something similar to the first 2 Deadly Standards or DMP 2018), just needed some more organization like this, if you want to follow the "stock resources only" maybe add some restrictions like make maps with the size and the monster count similar to the original IWAD levels or if you don't want to use a restriction, you can make a mapset like Hadephobia or based upon a certain gameplay style, like slaughtermap or puzzle maps or something more quirky! You can even use the stock resources and change the skies or the monsters, sky is always the limit in these cases!

56 minutes ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

Also, don't be embarrassed or upset about any of this. Everybody here knows just by your enthusiasm and overall personality as a member that you had absolutely no bad intentions when you had this idea. It's a good problem, not a bad one.

I second this, hopefully this doesn't dampen your experience here, and you continue working on maps and projects.

Best of luck to you mate!

A smaller project would be just perfect to get your feet wet.  Maybe not a mega wad but an episode replacement for doom 1?  There are so many amazing names for it as a replacement..

1. Off the Beaten Rhoad 

2. Rhoad Trip

5 minutes ago, Gibbon said:

A smaller project would be just perfect to get your feet wet.  Maybe not a mega wad but an episode replacement for doom 1?  There are so many amazing names for it as a replacement..

1. Off the Beaten Rhoad 

2. Rhoad Trip

The High Rhoad.

The OP has decided to cancel, and I think we need to respect their decision. Should they decide later to run a project of some sort, a brand new thread would be better than continuing this one anyway.

18 minutes ago, Gibbon said:

1. Off the Beaten Rhoad 

2. Rhoad Trip

Man I gotta use Rhoad trip. Haha nice man. I'm part of a few CPs which is why I'm more confident in my management capabilities. Also I'm working on an Episode 1 replacement right now, but it's a side project and can wait. :)

1 hour ago, rd. said:

He posted in the thread. 

Just read his post and sorry, I didn't think to check if he had already posted (I assumed he hadn't based on the other answers on page 2).

Given the situation then I guess the OPs best course of action is what he has already done so far, ie. cancelling the project for now as he also recommended.

10 minutes ago, Horus said:

The OP has decided to cancel, and I think we need to respect their decision. Should they decide later to run a project of some sort, a brand new thread would be better than continuing this one anyway.

I agree and I concur all things considered.

However, I also agree with others that he should try doing a CP that is smaller in scale and gain experience from that (like I am doing with booked).

I was disrespectful to him, so out of consideration for him, I canceling it. Sorry all.

Without reiterating whateveryoneelse has been saying: You got a comment from TGH. That's something.

Sadly it was not the kind of comment you could wish for. The Community Chest has been a classic series for many Doomers, led by known names in the community.

You are starting out and the fact you went for a Chest signifies your ambition. Don't see these ''Better not do this!'' as a sign of defeat, rather, as an inspiration for when you come along your first community project.

Alongside megawads, community projects often represent a great deal of effort from various sources at play and can be considered their Magnum Opus.

So look at it this way from a musical perspective: Instead of going for a double album, try recording a single. Ambition through repetition.

44 minutes ago, Horus said:

Pack it up, this is it.

13 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

Without reiterating whateveryoneelse has been saying: You got a comment from TGH. That's something.

Sadly it was not the kind of comment you could wish for. The Community Chest has been a classic series for many Doomers, led by known names in the community.

You are starting out and the fact you went for a Chest signifies your ambition. Don't see these ''Better not do this!'' as a sign of defeat, rather, as an inspiration for when you come along your first community project.

Alongside megawads, community projects often represent a great deal of effort from various sources at play and can be considered their Magnum Opus.

So look at it this way from a musical perspective: Instead of going for a double album, try recording a single. Ambition through repetition.

Pack it up, this is it.

I really appreciate this comment. However, the amount of people who have been saying "rename it, I'll make a map!" have me second guessing my decision to cancel. I was simply trying to show some integrity and cancel the project since I didn't really have the right to do it. But naming it Community Trunk or Rhoad Less Traveled or something and keeping some adjusted rules from the op seems like it could be doable and fun. I've been mapping for close to 2 years now, and I'm no pro, but I've been a part of like three cps and have been working on plenty of solo stuff I've never released. So I feel experienced enough to run something like this. 

How can you learn if you don't try?

So what I'm asking is:

Should I go back on my word and restart the project with a different name and adjusted rules, or should I stick to my guns and keep it canceled?

1 minute ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

I really appreciate this comment. However, the amount of people who have been saying "rename it, I'll make a map!" have me second guessing my decision to cancel. I was simply trying to show some integrity and cancel the project since I didn't really have the right to do it. But naming it Community Trunk or Rhoad Less Traveled or something and keeping some adjusted rules from the op seems like it could be doable and fun. I've been mapping for close to 2 years now, and I'm no pro, but I've been a part of like three cps and have been working on plenty of solo stuff I've never released. So I feel experienced enough to run something like this. 

How can you learn if you don't try?

So what I'm asking is:

Should I go back on my word and restart the project with a different name and adjusted rules, or should I stick to my guns and keep it canceled?

Different name and keep the project alive :)

19 minutes ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

I think you should restart the project w/ different rules, and maybe decrease the amount of maps, as a full 32 might be a bit ambitious for a first managed CP.

That's just my two cents... :)

35 minutes ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

Should I go back on my word and restart the project with a different name and adjusted rules

This.  Although peeps have warned you about starting a project without sufficient experience in that matter. It helps with you being firm on theme, texture set and engine target, and have other released level (sets) under your belt.

aww I wanted to make a map for this, is there anyway we could do a similar project that's not exactly community chest 5

2 hours ago, Gibbon said:

Maybe not a mega wad but an episode replacement for doom 1?

Why not for Doom 2? Like, a MAP01-MAP11 episode?

Restart the project with a different name and adjusted rules!