Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BetelgeuseSupergiant

Baron of hell anatomy?

I recently wondered - which allows Baron of hell survive 4-5 rocket or SSG hits? What is the reason for this resistance? He has something similar to power armor or is it all about a very durable body?

I know, Doom never claimed realism and it is quite possible that ID Software did not think about how to justify such durablity of Baron of hell, but if you still think and try to explain the reason of his strength?

If you have an idea how this is possible, then tell me, i will be interested!

Seeing how slow they move, they probably have fybrodysplasia ossificans or something along those lines. Partially ossified muscles. It always puzzled me how a thing so buffed could move so slow. 

Or maybe it's the sheer power of evil. Who knows. 

12 minutes ago, BetelgeuseSupergiant said:

If you have an idea how this is possible, then tell me, i will be interested!

It's a fantasy video game, that's how.

I'd say Barons have very thicc skin. If we look at the Barons death frames, we can see that pieces of skin fly off him. And at frame BOSSK0 we can kinda see the thickness of that skin, which is about one pixel. Which doesn't lead anywhere as we don't know how much one Doompixel™ is in real life length.

An even simpler question is what allows an imp to survive several gun shots? If there was any realism, an imp should've been done with 1-2 gun shots. Same with the chaingunner. The fact that the dude is large means nothing - a single close up shot with a gun and he should be dead.

They're demons, it's magic. As literal embodiments of evil, they cannot die until all their wickedness has been expiated through pain. The more evil they are, the more resilient.

18 minutes ago, thiccyosh said:

I'd say Barons have very thicc skin. If we look at the Barons death frames, we can see that pieces of skin fly off him. And at frame BOSSK0 we can kinda see the thickness of that skin, which is about one pixel. Which doesn't lead anywhere as we don't know how much one Doompixel™ is in real life length.

Judging from UDB and comparing to Doomguy's size, 1 pixel is pretty much skin as thick as an elephant's. 

10 minutes ago, LouigiVerona said:

An even simpler question is what allows an imp to survive several gun shots? If there was any realism, an imp should've been done with 1-2 gun shots. Same with the chaingunner. The fact that the dude is large means nothing - a single close up shot with a gun and he should be dead.

Well regarding the chaingunner is that he shouldnt be moving at all, since he's already dead.

@LouigiVerona While games and real life aren’t usually comparable when it comes to the effectiveness of guns… guns don’t always kill someone point blank. There are people who have been blasted in the face point blank with a 12ga shotgun, and while they never looked the same again they survived while there are people who have been shot from many, many yards away with a low powered 22LR and died on the spot. Ballistics and what it can do to a target isn’t always going to give the same result every single time from bullet to bullet, or from gun to gun.

So it isn’t really all that far fetched that they can survive sometimes and other times die in one direct hit. 

As for the hell baron, he is not a human being, but has a humanoid body. He likely has armored skin and bones and can take rockets and plasma much like a (well built) tank could. 

Edited by 7Mahonin

They absorb bullets and pellets until a certain threshold. Then they'll die immediately due to "poisoning".

20 minutes ago, Captain POLAND said:

A better question is how is the Spider Mastermind even tougher, when it's an exposed brain without even a skull to protect it?

Visible part of Spider Mastermind brain can be just an very durable armor

The Baron eats their fruits and vegetables which they have access to a lot of being a Baron and all (hell knights too but not as many cause they are only knights not barons). This is why their blood is green.

The E1M8 bruiser brothers were tough bosses, so tough that they turned into an inspiration for all the other Barons, unlike Hell Knights.

3 hours ago, thiccyosh said:

Player's viewheight is 41 Doompixels™, so we can do the math: I'd say 4-5 cm/1.5-2 inches!

Barons are known to constantly sweat, and the sweat provides a layer of protection and physical attack dampening due to enchanted devil magiks, while also emitting strong pheromones. If a baron of hell hugs you, you better hope you're wearing respiratory protection, because inhaling a baron's potent demon musk will cloud your mind and weaken your will to fight. Many a brave marine has fallen prey to a baron's intoxicating scent, their will to fight long since vanished, now content to spend their days with their heads nestled in a baron's dank armpit.

3 hours ago, RottKing said:

Barons are known to constantly sweat, and the sweat provides a layer of protection and physical attack dampening due to enchanted devil magiks, while also emitting strong pheromones. If a baron of hell hugs you, you better hope you're wearing respiratory protection, because inhaling a baron's potent demon musk will cloud your mind and weaken your will to fight. Many a brave marine has fallen prey to a baron's intoxicating scent, their will to fight long since vanished, now content to spend their days with their heads nestled in a baron's dank armpit.

this is very true, i personally have found myself lusting over their sexy cow muscles when i'm not wearing the proper respiratory gear. PLEASE be careful around them!!

19 hours ago, BetelgeuseSupergiant said:

I recently wondered - which allows Baron of hell survive 4-5 rocket or SSG hits? What is the reason for this resistance? He has something similar to power armor or is it all about a very durable body?

Well it's quite simple really. The baron has 1000 HP.

1 hour ago, HrnekBezucha said:

Baron is a member of hell's noble class. Your bullets cower before their might. 

Barons are actually quite low on the nobility hierarchy.

At the bottom of the pecking order, you've got knights. Then above you have baronets, but that's a weird rank that's only recognized in some countries. Barons are just about as low as you can get in landed nobility. Above them they have viscounts, then counts (aka earls), then marquis (the lowest title that's is addressed as "your highness" instead of just "sir/lady <title>"), then prince, then dukes (yes, dukes are above princes), then archdukes and grand dukes, finally king and emperor, the titles that are to be addressed as "your majesty".

I believe baronets of Hell have 750 hp, viscounts of Hell have 1250 hp, counts of Hell have 1500 hp, marquesses of Hell have 2000 hp, princes of Hell have 2500 hp, dukes of Hell have 3000 hp (like spiderdemons), archdukes of Hell have 3500 hp, grand dukes of Hell have 4000 hp (like cyberdemons), kings of Hell have 5000 hp, and emperors of Hell have 6000 hp. Good thing we never encounter all these bullet sponges during our trips to Hell!

1 hour ago, Gez said:

I believe baronets of Hell have 750 hp, viscounts of Hell have 1250 hp, counts of Hell have 1500 hp, marquesses of Hell have 2000 hp, princes of Hell have 2500 hp, dukes of Hell have 3000 hp (like spiderdemons), archdukes of Hell have 3500 hp, grand dukes of Hell have 4000 hp (like cyberdemons), kings of Hell have 5000 hp, and emperors of Hell have 6000 hp. Good thing we never encounter all these bullet sponges during our trips to Hell!

It would be very interesting to see a WAD with all this demons!

2 hours ago, Gez said:

Barons are actually quite low on the nobility hierarchy.

At the bottom of the pecking order, you've got knights. Then above you have baronets, but that's a weird rank that's only recognized in some countries. Barons are just about as low as you can get in landed nobility. Above them they have viscounts, then counts (aka earls), then marquis (the lowest title that's is addressed as "your highness" instead of just "sir/lady <title>"), then prince, then dukes (yes, dukes are above princes), then archdukes and grand dukes, finally king and emperor, the titles that are to be addressed as "your majesty".

To hell and back for the emperor!