Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Astro X

Which texture do you use for the "ceiling" of your doors?

I always use either CEIL5_2 or FLAT5_1. Is there a most used texture for that, or anything goes?

FLAT20.png.0a0435b0cb072d16d8142b9cb0ad1289.png

I like how flat20 looks for underside of doors

FLAT23.png.256b474109081e9b5ddf456882af2f46.png

flat23 looks better for doors on angles tho

You made me check my past maps because I don't remember paying any attention to it what so ever. My default flat for floor and ceiling is FLAT1, so I usually leave it as that. That's pretty inoffensive for the techbase doors, for the wooden doors, I guess I go with CEIL5_1 or CEIL5_2 most often.

Door as in "human door that is opened/closed a bunch" - whatever dark-ish pattern-less flat I come across first, whether it be id flats or something from <insert current texture pack>. Or current ceiling if I'm lazy.

Door as in "lowered ceiling that blocks path and then stays up forever" - usually whatever ceiling it retracts into.

Door of technical variety - whatever I drew the closet with, typically default startan box.

Literally depends on what the side textures are. I generally like to try and match flats with wall textures as best as I can so wood doors get wooden bottoms, metal gets metal, rock for rock, etc...

I always use FLAT20 and (rare cases) CEIL5_1. Basically, FLAT20 for tech doors and CEIL5_1 is for wooden doors(i use it in some tech doors but it's a rare case)

2 hours ago, thelamp said:

FLAT20.png.0a0435b0cb072d16d8142b9cb0ad1289.png

I like how flat20 looks for underside of doors

I use that too, simply because it's what UDB uses as default for the door builder

Flat20 or ciel5_1 (I think that's the right name for that one very dark grey one), but usually flat20. Well, either I use one of those two or I just forget to change the flat and it ends up being the same flat as the cieling right next to it.

I’ve used CRATOP a lot of times for extra cursed doors but usually one of the other flat gray or brown ones without any obvious axis or detailing

BIGDOOR1 = FLAT23, FLAT20

BIGDOOR2-4 = FLAT20

BIGDOOR5 = CEIL5_2, FLOOR7_1, FLAT5_2

BIGDOOR6-7 = CEIL5_2

WOODMET1-4 = CEIL5_2, RROCK03

EXITDOOR = FLAT20, FLOOR7_1

DOOR1 = FLAT20

DOOR3 = FLAT23, FLAT20

SPCDOOR1 = CRATOP2, FLAT20

SPCDOOR2-3 = FLAT20

SPCDOOR4 = FLAT 5_5

TEKBRON1-2 = CRATOP2

ZDOORF1-B1 = FLAT20

ZELDOOR = FLAT20

Edit: Angled starbase doors use FLAT1, FLAT19, FLAT23

Edited by pcorf

Tech doors get Flat20 or the colored variants in texture packs, geared to match the door color. There are complaints that this looks like "bathroom tile" -- which it literally is :D -- but it adds detail, so that's why it's so heavily used. If for some reason the tech door doesn't fit the grid, or it's angled, Flat23 is the texture of choice.

As others have said, Wood doors get Ceil5_2. Sometimes I may want a lighter shade, so I'll use Floor7_1 instead, but that's rare.

11 hours ago, pcorf said:

BIGDOOR1 = FLAT23, FLAT20

BIGDOOR2-4 = FLAT20

BIGDOOR5 = CEIL5_2, FLOOR7_1

BIGDOOR6-7 = CEIL5_2

WOODMET1-4 = CEIL5_2, RROCK03

EXITDOOR = FLAT20, FLOOR7_1

DOOR1 = FLAT20

DOOR3 = FLAT23, FLAT20

SPCDOOR1 = CRATOP2, FLAT20

SPCDOOR2-3 = FLAT20

SPCDOOR4 = FLAT 5_5

TAKBRON1-2 = CRATOP2

ZDOORF1-B1 = FLAT20

ZELDOOR = FLAT20

oh, you love doom mapping? name every texture :D

FLAT1 is my usual pick for the underside of gray tech doors. Sometimes FLAT20 depending on how the door is aligned. The brown and green recolors of those flats found in various texture wads are also useful.

FLAT20 almost always feels appropriate, even if the door's non-orthagonal or a totally different color - it's just The Door Flat, and therefore you're not allowed to complain if you see it on a door. Otherwise, I try to match the color and pattern, but with hellish big doors it's always a struggle between CEIL5_1 and CEIL5_2.

Funny enough I was just going through my first map to make sure little things like this were polished before a final release. FWIW I went with CEIL5_1 for BIGDOOR1-3, as they have black-bottomed textures. For the rest I went with FLOOR0_3 or FLOOR0_1 depending on their primary color, to not have to worry about them looking bad at angles or misaligned grids. In a few rarer cases like for TEKLITE2, there were closer-matching colors like CEIL5_1, and for doors which fully raised to the height of their surrounding ceilings, I matched those ceilings so it didn't look jarring when they were up.

I'm not sure why, but FLAT20 feels like more of a floor-tile texture to me (and rarely lines up right unless I'm using UDMF). And FLAT23 always ends up not matching the silver gradients well or its mild circular embossing looks kind of off. But I totally understand why others would like them, it's just a "me" thing I guess.

16 hours ago, BetelgeuseSupergiant said:

oh, you love doom mapping? name every texture :D

I did love mapping for 25+ years but now semi retired. But yeah I named nearly every texture I use.

I'm with pcorf, the said textures should be a predefined default whenever a said door is created. ;)

14 hours ago, Maximum Matt said:

FIREBLU

Get thee behind me Satan.

On topic, I guess this topic would fall under the age old 'block' texturing vs 'plane' texturing schools of thought. Do you texture assuming that the door is a solid object which will have a similar surface on its vertical and horizontal surfaces? Or do you texture according to the look and feel of the individual planes and surfaces? The former can certainly give levels a more integrated, 'solid' look, but the latter potentially gives more room for variety and contrast.

I am of the 'block' school of texturing, and so I always match the door surface to its ceiling. (For tnt:Revilution and currently for tnt:foreverlution (working title,) I actually made a lot of flats that better allowed me to match textures to flats.)

For tech doors: flat 20 if it fits, flat 19 if flat 20 doesn't fit (so for doors on an angle or not aligned by the 8x8 grid).

For most other doors such as wooden ones: ceil5_2