Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xaser

Mappers you wish to see make a comeback

My vote goes for Anthony Soto, loved his work in End Game and The Classic Episode, and he had a hand in The Darkening E2 and Alien Vendetta! 

Casali brothers come to my mind first, really wish them would comeback and make more Plutonia stuff.

I also wish MM/MM2/Requiem crew bring us another awesome megawad if they can really return to mapping again.

They're modders rather than mappers, although I think the DUMP trilogy gave them a little experience with the latter: Yholl and Sgt. Shivers. Perhaps the most reliable way of ensuring I'll play a megawad and actually commit to finishing it is having a Final Doomer class to accompany it.

There's also an actual mapper I could nominate, but they're still around so all I'd really be doing is bugging them to finish a project they shouldn't be pressured into finishing.

Roger Ritenour. I kinda wonder what's known about him. Did he just upload his wads to the idgames archive and just vanished? Or was he active in any doom communlty at the time or something? 

Probably Anders Johnsen, because as I was replaying Alien Vendetta once again and making up my mind on my favourite levels, he made most of them(MAP05, MAP07, MAP08, MAP17, MAP18, MAP27, MAP28, MAP29, MAP30 and MAP32) are my favourite maps of his, I always wanted more from him ever since I first completed Alien Vendetta.

The second one would probably be Gusta. His levels are explosive, fast, and archtectually stunning. Kama Sutra has some great combat setpieces by him: (MAP03, MAP04, MAP05, MAP07, MAP09, MAP11, MAP13, MAP17, MAP18 and MAP21) they all feel furious and violent in a sense, that he doesn't cuddle you overly, which is good for levels like these. He also made some beautiful looking levels, he made some of the best vistas in the vanilla .EXE, I've ever seen, them being: (MAP05, MAP08, MAP13, MAP17, MAP18, MAP21, MAP27, MAP29 and MAP30) All of his levels in Plutonia 2 are perfect, they both look visually stunning for vanilla and play pretty ferouciously! 

Edited by volleyvalley

Veddge - Despite the enormous success of MyHouse.wad, it's quite likely that he'll never release anything ever again. So if he does come back, it would be one Hell of a surprise.

Eternal: I know he made a map for PRCP 2 last year but I really wish he'd make a whole episode. Love his style so much.

Snakes: When was the last time he even made a map? I think UR was his last creation I played.

Wraith777: Alpha Accident remains one of the best OG doom episodes EVER. Gods and Guardians is sublime as well.

Gaspe: Really underrated mapper. I think he still visits the forums occasionally.

Tourniquet: Is he okay? Been a while since I last saw any sign of activity from him.

Didy: His monster hunter maps were amazing. Atmospheric and immersive.

Urthar: I think he switched to quake entirely, but it would be nice to see something new from him.

an_mutt: I remember him announcing a necropolis episode and going radio silent about it for years after.

riderr3: Would be nice to see him release another mapset one day.

Dario Casali for the veterans (nobody knows what happened to Milo, of course it would be beautiful if they shared a map-pack once again).

Skillsaw for another solo project, for Ultimate Doom possibly.

3 minutes ago, Firedust said:

Tourniquet: Is he okay? Been a while since I last saw any sign of activity from him.

He decided to leave. I don't remember if it was some life stuff, or mental problems, or burning. It was stated that he would finish his unfinished works and leave.

22 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

B.P.R.D. - Let's get this name outta the way. Imagine "The Mucus Flow Episode II: Attack of the Nose".

Iikka Keränen - Give him GZDoom or EE and see what he does with sector/line/edge portals. When it came to verticality, Iikka was on a whole other level back in the 90s and would probably continue to astound today.

Kurt Kesler and/or Tommie "Fatal" Quick - We need more love for single-player ZDoom maps and episodes that are just "cool Doom maps" with a few extra interesting features to make the maps "pop", rather than being blockbuster GZDoom which focus heavily on visuals and technical flair. Doom: Resurrection is a favorite of mine to revisit, and not that many people are making 'em like KZDoom anymore.

Iikka is the sh*t! So good at texturing!!

B.P.R.D., yep; Equinox makes me cry.

11 minutes ago, volleyvalley said:

Probably Anders Johnsen, because as I was replaying Alien Vendetta once again and making up my mind on my favourite levels, he made most of them:(MAP05, MAP07, MAP08, MAP17, MAP18, MAP27, MAP28, MAP29, MAP30 and MAP32) are my favourite maps of his, I always wanted more from him ever since I first completed Alien Vendetta.

Brad Spencer of AV; map13.

map 13

MAP THIRTEEN!

Oh, and can't find Darkwave at all ~ excellent mapper. French? Darkwave0000.

Now that everyone has said everybody except Erik Alm, I'll cast my vote and say him. Scythe X already has a good chunk finished and clearly had a lot more planned, and I'd be fine if he returned to finish it just before leaving again for good.

Skepticist & Gusta. Love their big interconnected layouts, inventive geometry and fun meaty gameplay.

Death-Destiny. His maps are very fun, very hard but still feel FDA-friendly because they don't demand that you know everything in advance or savescum.

Darkwave0000. I want him to make more polished newschool stuff a-la his Speed of Doom maps. Again, very fun (borderline) slaughter gameplay and stunning expansive visuals.

2 minutes ago, JadingTsunami said:

Great thread idea. My picks: Rand Phares, Jim Elson, Tom Mustaine. Fredrik Johansson.

I would be really interested to see what Rand Phares would do with a modern engine, or even PrBoom. I don't think he published anything SP after Icarus, but I am not sure.

Rand Phares has unfortunately passed away in 2021. Loved his work in Cleimos I & II , so I'm a bit bummed :(

6 minutes ago, volleyvalley said:

Rand Phares has unfortunately passed away in 2021. Loved his work in Cleimos I & II , so I'm a bit bummed :(

Oh! I did not know that. That is sad. He was a really passionate person.

Sverre Kvernmo! He made absolutely amazing maps back in the 90's, and in 2013 he returned for a while with, once again, some of the best maps ever. Echelon is an absolutely incredible megawad and more people need to play it. He had a quite unique style, especially in his newer works. It'd be incredible if he made more. 

27 minutes ago, OceanMadman said:

Roger Ritenour. I kinda wonder what's known about him. Did he just upload his wads to the idgames archive and just vanished? Or was he active in any doom communlty at the time or something? 

He made some Quake II maps, including a sequel(?) to Earth.wad. I couldn't find much else about him, although I didn't do a very thorough search.  

57 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Jens Nielsen - Imagine the absolute furore Jens' maps would cause if he hasn't been keeping tabs on what modern Doom mapping is nowadays - his 90s-style switch mazes would arrest even the most patient and powerful speedrunners.

Challenge Accepted

(Jens was gonna be my answer anyway)

15 minutes ago, Gothic said:

Also Sandy Petersen.

I know it's incredibly unlikely, but a Sandy Petersen take on Knee Deep in the Dead to give us a 100% Petersen (original, three-episode) DOOM would make my millennium.

12 minutes ago, 4shockblast said:

Petition for Albert Valls to make Cyberdreams 2. 😌

Somebody should start a new project for that.

I would have to say the Casali brothers. It would be really badass if they did a remake or a redux of Plutoina Experiment.

Another one would be yes Erik Alm, After watching the dean of doom series on scythe X i want to know what kind dehackery he would've done with the custom monsters he had cooking up.

And for a bonus American Mcgee. I know the whole Alice in wonderland thing didn't go so well to the point he basically retired from making games, but it would be cool to see him and john Romero making a Mega Wad together at some point.

Sandy Petersen, Tom Hall, American McGee, Shawn Green, Tom Mustaine, Massimo Ciano, Yukio Ide, Doorhenge, B.P.R.D., Okuplok, Vitalik K. and Veddge.

Edited by Geniraul

Georges Fiffy

I loved his old crazy slaughtermaps made in the 1990s. Truly one of the pioneers of the genre without him even realizing it. 

Yonatan Donner & Haggay Niv

I don't expect new maps from them but I wish they'd come here just to give a retrospective view of their masterpiece.

Shamus Young, Kim André Malde, Subject_119, Magikal

Unless you invoke Shenron, there's not much you can do for those skilled mappers

Death-Destiny

He's probably not dead and I'm 99% sure he's actually Darkwave0000. But only God knows the truth.

Gusta and Method

KS2 when

2 minutes ago, Roofi said:

He's probably not dead and I'm 99% sure he's actually Darkwave0000.

Read that many times but not sure where that comes from. I feel like their styles are similar but quite distinct (I'm pretty sure I'd be able to tell if a map was made by one or the other by playing it).