Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Johnny Cruelty

[COMMUNITY PROJECT] (MUSICIANS NEEDED) Amalgoom, Combining Doom 1 and 2

This is a really cool idea but please make the title background transparent it hurts my soul thx <3

Nah I got other projects rn, but it looks cool. Good luck :)

I'd like to do map09/e1m9. Should we be going for OG difficulty and detailing?

1 minute ago, Rorix said:

I'd like to do map09/e1m9. Should we be going for OG difficulty and detailing?

sure OG difficulty and detailing, but be sure to mix both asthetics and make sections of the map blend in on itself together

Just now, JustAthel said:

It's switcheroom, but across the different games instead? That's such a cool project idea!

sorta, but you actually combine both maps instead of a theme swap

I see, I see. So, in that case, may I take Woof 2 It? That sounds like a pretty cool and I suppose semi easy enough idea for me to accomplish :D

1 minute ago, JustAthel said:

I see, I see. So, in that case, may I take Woof 2 It? That sounds like a pretty cool and I suppose semi easy enough idea for me to accomplish :D

NO PROBLEM, but make sure to make it feel like go 2 it and wolfenstein

Oh man, my body wanna join this so bad, but i have so much maps i have to finish...

Oh fuck it, give me E2M3 + MAP 13

You know what, lock me in for Map16 for now.

I need some clarifications though. You're looking for completely original maps, not just taking the starting area of E1M1 and adding that to the rest of MAP01, correct? So since I picked Map16, I'd have to make a neighbourhood that doesn't just take the layout of Map16 and puts E2M6 textures all over it, but instead one with a completely unique layout, right? That's how I understand it, anyway. I mean, that's already what I did in my "Doom 2 In Song Only"-submissions.

I think you should rewrite guidelines 1-3 and make it more clear what you need. It's a bit confusingly described in my opinion. I'd recommend saying that you want maps that take inspiration of the Doom 1 and Doom 2 maps which aren't 1:1 copies, but are still recognizably based on them. So players don't just make a random Doom map and go "Yeah uhhh this is totally Map21". The map has to be unique, but it should be obvious what it's based on.

3 hours ago, GermanPeter said:

I think you should rewrite guidelines 1-3 and make it more clear what you need. It's a bit confusingly described in my opinion. I'd recommend saying that you want maps that take inspiration of the Doom 1 and Doom 2 maps which aren't 1:1 copies, but are still recognizably based on them. So players don't just make a random Doom map and go "Yeah uhhh this is totally Map21". The map has to be unique, but it should be obvious what it's based on.

This 100%. The Fusion Mapping Project did exactly how you described here; taking two maps together into one while keeping the majority of the elements original so the homages/references are not as apparent.

1 hour ago, Impboy4 said:

This 100%. The Fusion Mapping Project did exactly how you described here; taking two maps together into one while keeping the majority of the elements original so the homages/references are not as apparent.

Wasn't FMP abandonded though? And besides, it's still an interesting idea that was done once, so why not make a second attempt?

@Johnny CrueltySign me up for MAP31. I'll make sure to put some cruel twists on it. Also since the map format is Boom, that means that mappers can detail the maps however they like or they should be more vanilla-looking? If latter, then limit-removing map format should be enough in my opinion.

Edit: since secret maps are partially based on Plutonia, does that make custom Plutonia textures allowed?

5 hours ago, Track Federal said:

Definitely want to take Map12, would be really interesting to implement e2m2 gimmicks and setting into factory level

yeah I was thinking on the outside it looks dull maybe, but on the inside it's a whole shebang

1 hour ago, Impboy4 said:

the difference here, in the fusion project, they took random maps together, like map02 and e1m4

here it's in a organized order where instead of taking a early map from doom 2, and a later on map from doom 1, in Amalgoom it's 2 maps you'd normally progress being combined 

e1m1 and map01

e1m2 and map02

e1m3 and map03

e1m4 map04

also stop trying to be a party pooper

6 minutes ago, Heretic926 said:

Wasn't FMP abandonded though? And besides, it's still an interesting idea that was done once, so why not make a second attempt?

@Johnny CrueltySign me up for MAP31. I'll make sure to put some cruel twists on it. Also since the map format is Boom, that means that mappers can detail the maps however they like or they should be more vanilla-looking? If latter, then limit-removing map format should be enough in my opinion.

yrah no biggie

5 hours ago, GermanPeter said:

You know what, lock me in for Map16 for now.

I need some clarifications though. You're looking for completely original maps, not just taking the starting area of E1M1 and adding that to the rest of MAP01, correct? So since I picked Map16, I'd have to make a neighbourhood that doesn't just take the layout of Map16 and puts E2M6 textures all over it, but instead one with a completely unique layout, right? That's how I understand it, anyway. I mean, that's already what I did in my "Doom 2 In Song Only"-submissions.

yeah maps are basically combined into one new unique map with both asthetics... but can I take your bottom paragraph and use it in my guidelines? I'm not much good with words and you desribe is perfect and spot on, it's unique but a recogniseable mashup

13 minutes ago, Heretic926 said:

Edit: since secret maps are partially based on Plutonia, does that make custom Plutonia textures allowed?

Eh sure Plutonia textures are allowed

14 minutes ago, Johnny Cruelty said:

yeah maps are basically combined into one new unique map with both asthetics... but can I take your bottom paragraph and use it in my guidelines? I'm not much good with words and you desribe is perfect and spot on, it's unique but a recogniseable mashup

I'll do you one better, here's a more concise version of the guidelines:

1) The goal of the project is to create a level that takes elements from two maps, one from Doom 1 and another from Doom 2, and mixes them together.

You shouldn't just copy sections from each map and paste them together, it has to have an original layout, but which can be recognized as being based on the maps you're taking inspiration from. Creating a generic space station with hell elements here and there isn't enough.

2) These maps correspond to their place in the map order, so E1M1 from Doom gets mixed with MAP01 from Doom 2, E1M2 with MAP02, and so on.
Since there are only 27 maps in the original Doom, E1M10 from the Xbox port and two maps from Episode 4 have been added as well. The secret stages are combined with the ones from Plutonia. Look at the map slots for more information.

3) You can only use the weapons, items and monsters that appear in both maps. Don't put a Cyberdemon and a BFG9000 in the first map, only Imps, Zombiemen and a shotgun. If there are secret weapons, you can add those as well. It's fine if you add a higher-tier enemy or two as well, but don't go overboard.

4) Only use textures from Doom 1.

5) The WAD format is Boom: Doom 2 Format.

6) Only use Doom 1 or 2 MIDIs. If someone wants to make mash-ups of those tracks, I'll gladly add them.