Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

This map is six years old, and it just gets worse the more I attempt to fix this mess. I've removed so much detail in an attempt to reign in the messiness, and any attempt at making it look better requires constant cross-reference between portal layers which is untenable without some kind of onionskin preview.

Should I just remake the layout from scratch? Especially since my project is now on a GZDoom fork rather than EE fork? Might as well toss portals where I can use 3D floors instead.

qakJILG.jpg

ugggghhh this is so embarrassingly awful looking

oh and i just started overhauling the grunt sprite, starting with the head

m57SOqE.png

in my experience its always easier to remake something into something better from scratch than it is to fix something that's fundamentally broken.

If it's too complicated to recreate from memory, keep a backup or sketch the layout on paper. You'll waste a lot of energy and time holding on to something you don't want to let go because you're not sure you'll be able to make it the same way. If you can do it once, you can do it again.

Break it further. Break it until it's unrecognisable. Just keep going with that until you get Lilith2.pk3. Cacoward tiem.

10 minutes ago, 40oz said:

in my experience its always easier to remake something into something better from scratch than it is to fix something that's fundamentally broken.

I agree.  About 10 years ago I tried to convert a bunch of Doom maps to Heretic / Hexen and then fix them up to look/play decently but I soon realized that by the time I put in that much effort to fix the conversion errors and adjust the gameplay I might as well just rebuild them from the ground up to work correctly (and probably do them better in the process).  I also had to redo some maps where I'd made the internal areas too small and moving all the surrounding rooms bordering them would have been a giant mess.

As you work more with the map editor of your choice you tend to get faster at laying things in so it's also not necessarily going to take you as much time as it did the first time around to get back up to speed, especially when you have the first revision to use as a plan.

1 hour ago, Blastfrog said:

qakJILG.jpg

ugggghhh this is so embarrassingly awful looking

Looks good bro, don't beat yourself up over technical difficulties with it, I'm sure they might color your evaluation of the area - it was mesmerising to behold the first few seconds I looked at it, like most good screenshots (GREAT sky-to-geometry transition). Though I do agree that it is some times easier to begin again from scratch, I personally prefer sticking with an area and beating it into shape. Even if it takes twice as long as rebuilding and some quirkiness remains, there's some sense of pride at having finished a battle-scarred area over simply crumpling the sheet of paper and starting with a fresh one. I really hate trying to recreate an area I was working on if I lost it due to software crash or backup failure - rebuilding feels a bit like this "loss of history" being voluntarily, so I avoid it whenever possible. Some times though, things are unsalveagable - only you know which is which.

EDIT : Oh, and Antares, that map-building GIF is frigging AAWWEESSOOMMEE!! xD

1st of its kind?

Edited by Soundblock

1 hour ago, Blastfrog said:

qakJILG.jpg

Hah, that sky is based on the same mountain image I used here (but mirrored):

41b0JQ3.png

1 hour ago, Soundblock said:

Oh, and Antares, that map-building GIF is frigging AAWWEESSOOMMEE!! xD

1st of its kind?

I found a program called 'dmvis' recently, thanks to the Twitter bot called dmvisbot. If you're interested in that program, please check out this GitHub page. I also used this online GIF editor to edit & optimize the GIF file, before I released it to the public.

Just a lvl Ive been working on the past couple of days. This room is really detailed compared to the rest of the map.

Doomlvlpic2.png

7 hours ago, Jthom said:

Just a lvl Ive been working on the past couple of days. This room is really detailed compared to the rest of the map.

Doomlvlpic2.png

I dig it! Liking the transition of the floor textures with the metal and stone.

Also, I've been working my way around Doom Builder again lately, and after a few years of not really doing any level design, I feel pretty happy with some of the sketches I've been able to make today and yesterday. It's not much, but I like the rooms I constructed, (shape wise). I used to have a bad habit of making all my rooms just big squares or smaller rectangles. 

jan9.png.8f2ad959e2297e5ce9f483c8f95ab1ae.png

Edited by K3K

On 12/28/2017 at 6:06 AM, Eris Falling said:

sign out of dw to see this

dw.png

funnyforumtits..png.d099c92c03336abd944a67791161806a.png

The algorithm must not know how perverted you are, I only see boobs.

2 minutes ago, franckFRAG said:

unknown.png?width=1053&height=676

It's my first ENDOOM, and I'm satisfied with the result :) The RC2 will release in some hours.

What settings do you have to apply in order for ENDOOM to appear? I never see it anymore on my GZDoom client whenever I exit the game.

3 minutes ago, K3K said:

What settings do you have to apply in order for ENDOOM to appear? I never see it anymore on my GZDoom client whenever I exit the game.

It's "Show ENDOOM Screen" under Display Options.

Some shots from a map I've been sketching, not put monsters or much detail yet, just trying to get familiar with map editors and stringing together decent looking/flowing rooms together. (Ignore the voodoo dolls).

Screenshot_Doom_20180111_201103.png.f676b6ead6a40268378852e8f18262b3.pngScreenshot_Doom_20180111_201509.png.dd5f9b3840de736c51614f7667607d5d.pngScreenshot_Doom_20180111_201324.png.04df6730f0fb830dd1da58a6672457b6.pngScreenshot_Doom_20180111_201608.png.1fba73b1715bfaacfe61014db4f5736b.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180111_201044.png.c048d4b7b6304a9332d82685b83aa036.png

Creatively bankrupt the wadsicle:

qWGVQFF.png

Yep, I've been trying to make some sort of three-dimensional playable environment or something.

3 minutes ago, PaquoCastor said:

Creatively bankrupt the wadsicle:

Yep, I've been trying to make some sort of three-dimensional playable environment or something.

Why does the ceiling slime only fall down the upper part of the walls, then suddenly disappear? Not to mention that it only falls down certain walls, while others it stays perfectly content to be on the ceiling.

3 minutes ago, Arctangent said:

Why does the ceiling slime only fall down the upper part of the walls, then suddenly disappear? Not to mention that it only falls down certain walls, while others it stays perfectly content to be on the ceiling.

Physics. This is why one shouldn't abstract oblivion but rather abstract nonsense. Consistent contrast is better than meaningless non-chaos no? At least I fixed the invisible walls surrounding a skin column in an other room. Is still a room bigger on the inside. Cause why not?