Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kalinus

Share Your Sprites!

Move this thread back please.  My sprites aren't mods and aren't resources unless I say so.  Its also a place for unfinished work, and for learning, and fits in with the Editing section - being here puts a lot more pressure on posting finished work.

At the VERY least, signpost with a thread in Editing so people can find it, but really you should have asked the people who use this thread before making the change.

Edited by Burgish_Nilwert

1 hour ago, Burgish_Nilwert said:

Move this thread back please.  My sprites aren't mods and aren't resources unless I say so.  Its also a place for unfinished work, and for learning, and fits in with the Editing section - being here puts a lot more pressure on posting finished work.

At the VERY least, signpost with a thread in Editing so people can find it, but really you should have asked the people who use this thread before making the change.

Now that resource pack type stuff has it's own subforum it might be more convenient for you to make your own thread to follow your development of what you're working on. I've been following this thread for a while because I have ideas for a D&D themed wad and your work specifically would be very useful in that regard. Just a suggestion, since you seem kinda bummed about the split! If you had your own thread you can label it WIP (work in progress) so that people know there's unfinished stuff in there

2 hours ago, Burgish_Nilwert said:

This reaction doesn't make any sense. Nothing about this subforum implies that works must be finished, implicitly-free-to-use, or anything else of that regard, and sprites fall under the community's definition of "resources" (it's been a catch-all term for "thing you put in a wad that isn't a map" for aeons now) -- this is by far the most correct subforum for this thread now.

If this is where its staying, fine, I asked politely and that's all I can do.  But it's been working fine and getting more eyeballs on people's questions in Editing, which was a good thing.

Edited by Burgish_Nilwert

4 hours ago, Burgish_Nilwert said:

As someone who's been posting regularly in here for over a year, replying to someone who hasn't, I disagree.

As someone who's been participating regularly in the Doom community for twenty years, replying to someone who hasn't, you're not going to accomplish much by trying to "pull rank" because there's always some goofus with an earlier registration date that's going to go "yeah, nah."

Back on topic: Editing is fundamentally a help forum, with areas for asking questions, discussing technical details of modding the game, and all that good stuff. All sorts of "share your work" type threads, both finished works and works-in-progress, have historically gone under "WADs and MODs"... except for this thread, 'cause there wasn't a "WADs and MODs" equivalent for things that weren't wrapped up in a playable package (except maybe "Creative Works", which historically is more of an offtopic/not-necessarilty-doom-related zone). Now that there is a W&M equivalent for sprites, sounds, etc., it makes sense that the relevant "share your work" thread goes where the rest of the sprites go.

All the other concerns in your post are based on some sort of misunderstanding (e.g. WIPs are totally expected here, and "resource" is just a catch-all term for sprites, sounds, etc; it doesn't imply "you can use this" or whatever). Not sure what else to add there, aside from suggesting to alert someone on staff if someone is misusing your stuff (they'll take care of it).

[EDIT] For posterity, Burgish_Nilwert and I apologized to each other over DM for being grumpy here -- we're cool now.

Edited by Xaser

I'm going to have to agree with @Burgish_Nilwert that no-use / "just showing off" stuff shouldn't go under the header "Resources".  On the ZDoom forums they had (still have, upon checking) a "Spriting Carnival" thread in the General section presumably for that very distinction.

Honestly, the reason I've always assumed everything in this thread was being posted basically for free use was because it's a sprite jam thread that's titled "Share Your Sprites." It's the counterpart to "Post Your Textures," which is clearly offering resources to use. What subforum it's in is totally irrelevant.

I mean, sure, I can recognize an unfinished sprite sheet when I see it and wait til it's done, but this is honestly the first I've heard of anything like this. I can't imagine anyone in the "post your textures" thread (either the Doom one or the Heretic/Hexen one) being like, "I'm posting this finished resource communally but you can't touch it." Right now, I have resources I want other people to use and ones that I don't, and the ones that I don't want people to use aren't posted communally because that's how this works.

I think if you want to put those kinds of limits on your creations, it makes much more sense for you to have your own dedicated WIP/doodle thread where you post your intentions explicitly in the OP, rather than a community thread where every mapper on the forum goes to get custom resources because that's the purpose of the thread. I think the fact that both of those types of threads need to exist only underscores the fact that it should all go in the same forum, like how beta maps and finished maps are also posted in the same space. The reason people are posting off-limits things in this thread is for visibility, presumably. You post your beta maps in a mapping forum, and then people come to look for maps to play and they see your betas and they give you feedback...but you still have your beta work located in a place that clearly states it's a beta. Whether it's finished or not, there's no sense lumping your art in with people asking questions about how to use Doom Builder.

If you want to preview sprites without actually allowing others to use them just yet, you could save a copy in .jpg format and share that version for the time being. I dunno maybe I'm only making things worse with suggestions like that.

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

Wanted to replace chainsaw with an axe to make it more competitive. Repainted Realm667's axe into fire axe to fit in places other the woods. Made a gif to test before I write a code for this.
Trying to wing it with grey tip was probably a mistake. And maybe I should turn the handle grey.

5 hours ago, ViolentBeetle said:

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

Wanted to replace chainsaw with an axe to make it more competitive. Repainted Realm667's axe into fire axe to fit in places other the woods. Made a gif to test before I write a code for this.
Trying to wing it with grey tip was probably a mistake. And maybe I should turn the handle grey.

929287988_Axe_320x200_paletteabyneoworm.png.bb9f62ec27e4af0acb3f4c7b04c90064.png

Neoworm made a few nicer-looking versions of Realm667's axe, including one just like yours.

Spoiler

381785126_Axes_final_exportbyneoworm.png.4fb69d52070aeb969fd22bf9011f7327.png

I made frankensprites (not all too sure if they're frowned upon here) of a Zombieman with the only thing going through its head being a shotgun shell. It actually looks better and more violent than I thought!

(PM me if you need those as a resource. I am baby and don't know how to post sprites without making them ant-sized.)

YFKL91i.png5xOIB50.pngD1XhSIu.pngTPfjgDq.png (POSSL0 is pretty much the same sprite sorry.)

Posting them "ant-sized" is alright for the most part

Oh yeah? Sweet! Btw this is what I mean with ant-sized:

vHOZ8Ut.png

I have to say this though, errors can't be spotted that way :D

Edited by thiccyosh : I refuse to double post for a reply. Sue me.

FiringAngledRocket.png

Angled rocket launcher graphic/sprite replacement. It should be able to work in DOOM with a bit of graphic and offset editing.

Hi everyone, I am trying to edit the WOLFSS sprites for my WAD, 1 out of 50 done.

Does it look good?

SSWVA1.png

6 minutes ago, Jack9955 said:

SSWVA1.png

You could just use the Wolfstone sprites from New Colossus.  They have a red recolor of the SS guy in there already, and that should save you a lot of work!

3 minutes ago, ShallowB said:

You could just use the Wolfstone sprites from New Colossus.  They have a red recolor of the SS guy in there already, and that should save you a lot of work!

Nah thanks, I want to make something. Do you think the sprite looks good?

(Oh yeah page 100)

It looks like you've removed all the shading, so it's just a red blob.  Are you manually recoloring it, or are you using a tool like SLADE to translate the values?  If using SLADE, you could use a range of reds instead of just one to get a nicer look. Would also make going through all 50 sprites a lot quicker.

3 hours ago, ShallowB said:

It looks like you've removed all the shading, so it's just a red blob.  Are you manually recoloring it, or are you using a tool like SLADE to translate the values?  If using SLADE, you could use a range of reds instead of just one to get a nicer look. Would also make going through all 50 sprites a lot quicker.

I am using GIMP, I don't know how to do "shading"

Which tool should I use?

I edited it manually, does it look better?

SSWVA1.png.7ed21b3fbdbd6d161541e232c71b798a.png

Does this one also look good? 2 of 50

SSWVA2.png.e73ea153706b37d8815f35f74947f4dc.png

I already have SLADE, however I want to edit the sprites manually because it is kinda fun.

GIMP should make it pretty easy to recolor sprites too. I don't personally use it, but I'm sure it has some hue-adjusting tools that would get it done really quickly. Unless you just want to practice making sprites from scratch? In that case, your second example looks much better than the first (the first would've been fine if everything was equally flat), but it's still hard to see where one body part ends an another begins. Look at the original sprite to see how the shapes are defined with lighter and darker colors.

I edited more sprites, can anyone tell me if they are looking good? (6 of 50)

SSWVA1.png.6462160691d56d57e49921d169666f51.pngSSWVA2.png.d7585588a5143df80f4f91890bb81b63.pngSSWVA3.png.ff7ddb5833c228f27a4d809bd32809ae.pngSSWVE0.png.d126cdd0f196f14f4fe6da5ebf3d725a.pngSSWVF0.png.130a47aeb465ae400cb3625f89956a1f.pngSSWVG0.png.c3784e4d97e68872a1b4c334dbf60e36.png

Edited by Jack9955