Guest Mariner

Doom 1 or 2?

Which one is your favorite?  

438 members have voted

1. 1. Which one is your favorite?

• DOOM/The Ultimate DOOM
    • DOOM II: Hell on Earth

I was going to comment but I am put off by the picture linguica put

I like Doom 2 more than Doom 1 but Doom 1's episodic structure is much better with overall better level design

15 hours ago, Doom64Myfav said:

Overrated as hell and the popular praise of doom2 is probably nostalgia more than an actual grounded opinion. I wasn't `raised on doom, so why do I enjoy 1 more than 2?

I played Doom for the first time as an adult less than 10 years ago and I prefer Doom 2. Doom 1 too often involves slowly grinding down bullet sponge enemies with the shotgun, many of which are just imp variants. Doom 2 adds some interesting enemies like archviles and pain elementals, and speeds up the pace of gameplay by adding the SSG. I don't care for the stock maps in either IWAD compared to modern custom wads, but the assets of Doom 2 are part of what makes those modern wads so spectacular.

4 hours ago, Kute said:

Also... Doom 1 is way too easy.

Not everyone will agree, but I think no Doom map is simply too easy. Sometimes when I finish a level that posed no threat to me, I decide to try it again and do it faster. Any level is hard if I set an appropriate goal. Of course, many levels are are boring to play in a cautious way, and they often just suck even more when I try to go fast, but there are some very easy maps that I enjoy. Easy maps provide an opportunity to cut loose and play like a maniac, and they're underrated.

Edited by Pseudonaut

6 minutes ago, Linguica said:

Hey you, you're finally awake. You were trying to cross the border right. Walked right into that imperial ambush, same as us and that thief over there

How can the guy say Doom 2 praise is based more on nostalgia when most of the discussion here is focused on Doom 2 wads, lol. 

How come whenever I see screenshots here, I see revenants and SSGs if nobody actually plays Doom 2 it's just nostalgia remembrance 

I think the literal opposite is more true - Doom 1 is praised on nostalgia, then everyone goes back to their Doom 2 wads.

14 hours ago, Doom64Myfav said:

*WALL OF TEXT! WALL OF TEXT! WALL OF TEXT! WALL OF TEXT!*

And the double barrel shotgun is not exclusive to doom, or even gaming, you can go buy a double barrel shotgun for hunting anytime you want not a valid point.

*WALL OF TEXT! WALL OF TEXT! WALL OF TEXT! WALL OF TEXT!*

I haven't had to read something this difficult since high school.

A double-barrel shotgun is like $600 dollars in America. Doom 2 Super-Shotgun is like $5, and it comes with a free game

Sophie's Choice here tbh

Doom 1 I think had overall better levels, and better atmosphere, but the depth Doom 2's monsters add, and a lot of the creative gimmick levels as well, are just cosmically good.

Doom II filled many holes in UDoom's bestiary which makes fights more interesting and dynamic, and I can't imagine Doom without the SSG.  Ultimate Doom is impossible to asses in any way other than by episode.

- Episode 1 is a masterclass in level design despite lacking a good chunk of bestiary and weapons of UDoom, let alone Doom II.  But it's also free - what about the episodes we have to pay for?

- Episode 2 is mostly decent, but the step down in level quality is obvious and maps like E2M5 are just obnoxious.

- Episode 3 at least actually looks like hell, unlike Doom II.  Too bad most of the episode isn't that great.  E3M5 ticks me off for wasting a good level concept on an awful level progression gimmick.  Spider Mastermind is a worse letdown than any wall texture.

- Episode 4's difficulty is very front-loaded and the rest suffers from "This is cool and all, but I wish I had a SSG" syndrome.

Despite Doom II's levels being darker and more uneven in quality, I still think it's the better game.

Back in the day, I could ask for a game for my birthday, and I already had Doom II.  I'm very glad my childhood friend talked me out of getting Ultimate Doom and instead encouraged me to ask for Duke Nukem 3D.  THAT is how you do 3 good episodes.

Edited by AlexMax

Doom 2 has, in my opinion, better enemies plus the SSG.  Also in my opinion Doom 1 has better looking levels.  Especially episodes one and four.

Doom II has the better bestiary and weapons, Doom I has the better maps and thematic progression.

I'd give Doom I the edge on that basis.

Doom I maps are great if you really, really like hallways.

I'm being a bit provocative here, they're generally fine levels, but I think they tend to be overrated.

Doom 2 is the better game, Doom 1 is the better story. There was a sort of "logical" progression towards hell in 1 I didn't get in 2, where the levels felt more like videogame levels than actual places. And Halls of the Damned was the first time I felt actual terror in a video game (that fake end was genius at the time).

Just now, esselfortium said:

Doom I maps are great if you really, really like hallways.

I'm being a bit provocative here, they're generally fine levels, but I think they tend to be overrated.

Yes. 100%. The design is tighter, and Doom 1 came first, which does matter alot for judging their places in history. 

But I think Doom improves when you get away from zombies and hallways. In truth, neither wad can hold a candle to any of the highly regarded homemade ones. Doom 2 maps are bigger, more complex, more varied, and throw more shit at you. Straight up they are more fun. I don't begrudge the Doom franchise its survival horror elements but the best parts of Doom are in the gameplay. I don't play Doom every day because it's SpOOky, I play because the games are so fun.

Today's popular wads have alot more Doom 2 DNA in them than Doom 1. Fuck what am I even saying, they all literally take place in Doom 2.

Lol my attitude sucks? Sorry I didn't know an opinion on an on topic thread irked you so bad or that I have to show total respect to doom2. I'm also not sure who this he above all is, do you mean god, jesus?

A person expresses their honest opinion on doom2, and you start saying their attitude sucks. Seriously why am I getting this harassment for my opinion on doom? I disagree that the best parts of doom, for a newby to the series like me, are iwads, functions, irritating gimmick levels, or reused assets. Doom1 I could care less how easy it is, challenge doesn't make a game good, and easy doesn't make a game bad. Several people bash turok2 cause its hard and has confusing maze areas. I think turok2 is technically better than 1, in guns, gameplay, new additions, targeting, all kinds of things. Altho turok2 took out a lot of dinosaurs, and I prefer 1 more for enemies. On gaming forums, in gaming places online, a person should have a right to an opinion without fans losing their mind over their favorite sequel.

I could care less about my attitude this isn't even about my attitude who am I? I've played dozens of shooters from duke to killzone, big names, halo, cod, etc etc... Doom1 was a superior game, it was impressive. Doom2 was pretty good as well but I'm not changing my viewpoints I already measured why. You guys defending the revenant, and the vile, where did those 2 fit in a game about brutal pulpy demons that leave splatter everywhere? A skeleton with a bullet proof vest really? Obviously doom2 wasn't trying to make any kind of coherent imagination just, test levels.
Doom1 also had a better narration the still art pictures added mystery to the story. Doom2s story is hard to follow at best. Not saying story is super important in a shooter but least doom1 added something. Doom2 added nothing cept, repeating the same line about him not having a problem going through hell. A line they repeated since the first doom. And I don't agree that super annoying gameplay makes a game better, pacing, atmosphere, story, imagination all superior to gimmicky halloween levels.

Talk about my attitude all you want for a new fan to have the opinion that doom1 is better says a lot. And gaming is like this on many forums, groups of buddies all gathering around and insisting their opinion is the best and going to war with anyone who thinks for themselves but I got attitude? I mean seriously talking about gamer attitudes, seems odd to me given what I read on game communities online.

I had these opinions while I was playing both games and 64, I have a right to express my opinion on a forum about the subject that is what the OP asked. And I don't buy this nonsense about a game being to old to talk about. I love replaying classics and discussing them. Doom2 had a great last boss one thing I'll give it, and citadel, and the spirit realm were nice levels. Spirit realm was a confusing mess as well with hidden triggers but least the design and look of the level was cool. Better than ran down vehicles. I also wouldn't say that the boss in doom2 was any better than the cyber demon or spider bot in doom1, or the mother of all demons in doom64. It was a large epic boss but it also felt spammy. Just floating there and summoning hordes while you used your most powerful weapons. Its pretty much a template for sponge bosses. I preferred the other 3 they actually felt like real bosses with real strategy and not just unload.

Just my opinion as a new fan of the series I didn't grow up with doom I played turok and quake before doom and I only now got into doom cause of 64 and I wanna catch up on the old ones before I play 2016 and eternal. So acting like I'm some above all guy or my attitude sucks, nobody cares. I don't expect people online to respect me, and I don't give a damn about your attitude. Why not stay on topic and explain why you think doom2 is superior and as I said I don't buy one weapon addition as being superior. In my view doom1 is better and the utility reasoning I don't buy that's deflecting from the actual game. And imo a game should have better pacing and atmosphere than jokes and boo. And saying its cartoony, what do you want from that time? Its not super cartoony over duke nukem. The game actually wasn't trying to be super cartoony at the time it was actually a very dark and controversial game. And a level like house of pain, with rooms with blood pool floors, looking through a slot to see men crucified and gutted, doesn't seem all that toony to me.

Doom1 was trying to do something with gaming, something edgy and different, something nightmarish, beyond floating medusa heads or dracula. 2 was a cash grab that's what it looks like for someone playing it now. Doom2 was also very short, other than the hidden switches and some irritating segments where they spammed enemies in dark rooms, doom2 is a very fast game. I beat it within a week or 2, I played doom1 off and on for over a month before finally beating all episodes. Doom2 is one continuous event much like doom 64 but less challenging. Seriously all the people saying doom2 is the most challenging aren't totally correct. The last boss was a mess but hey last boss just save in increments and you'll beat it. So last boss is a mute point, doom2 is far easier than doom64. In doom64 they have a round field level that literally throws every doom monster at you plus 2 cyber demons. Doom2 had nothing on that level of challenge. Unless you count brutal mods, or difficulty increases. If you play all 3 games on the lowest difficulty, like I did, doom64 is easily the most challenging. I say this because, I don't replay a game on hard unless I really enjoyed it. Because I like to beat many shooters not dwell on 1. I like to see what all the shooter has to offer without constant setbacks. Only a few shooters I've actually replayed on hard, such as turok1/2, some call of duties, because I like duck and cover shootouts, and halo3. Most of the time I don't replay a shooter on the hardest difficulty cause I move on. I might replay doom1 or 64 on the hardest but that's whats good about the doom games. 64 has 30 more levels after beating it, doom1 has master levels, and doom2 also has extra levels. I see no reason in playing the game on increased difficulties as I still haven't seen all these games have. So why would I back harder is better? But as far as on default difficulty, doom64 was a far harder game than doom2 and longer. Doom2 was a rapid experience that I didn't feel exhausted or pushed by. Doom1 and 64 actually were marathon like in structure and I actually prefer a shooter to make you feel exhausted at the end.

But I'm also not saying doom2 sucks, or is even a bad shooter. But I can see why doom is famous and its for everything the first game did. Doom2 is the first doom with additions. Doom64 is far more of a sequel. Also doom2 is not superior to duke, sin, turok, quake 1/2, or heretic/hexen. There's many shooters that are superior games to doom2. More entertaining as well with better angles and setting. I played and beat sin over the holidays and beat doom 1 and 2 recently and I had more fun with sin than doom2. Maybe even doom1, everything is not sacred sin is a fun cop game with a cheesy 80s throwback and ridiculous jokes and content. You gotta have something in a shooter to give it personality, doom1 had personality, doom2 did not. Doom2 is devoid of any identity or personality its just here ya go, hell on earth, here's some urban levels. Doom1 had a counter personality to sin or duke, it was dark and serious, the demons had infiltrated and they were torturing and killing this guys friends. And people can say the bunny angle is a joke, but really it was a little disturbing as well. Doomguy in the pics in doom1 looks like an unhinged meathead, he is almost innocent in his brutality. By making him disturbed by a dead animal it showed his childlike brutality and his straightforward thinking. All his military brothers going through literal hell and he's worried about a bunny. It was a disturbing look into primitive innocence. I know people could say I'm over analyzing doom but why not? I play games to get into the atmosphere, music and setting. The wall decals and settings, creepy weird music, and the narratives are usually more impressive to me than the gameplay. And inserting crypt keeper with magic spells ruined the brutal demon theme for me, no I was not a fan of the revenant its silly. And I can't understand how a generic skeleton is such a fan fav.

By the way I read forums and other peoples opinions, I try and finish a game before I comment and usually what I find about a game is completely counter to what fans constantly repeat. Like doom2 is better cause of the double barrel, read that one a lot. Seems bogus to me, also read all the doom3 hate which that game does not deserve at all. Doom3 is an amazing looking game and I played doom3 near launch with friends and we thought it was an amazing game. What I read on forums from oldschool doom fans is just their opinion, just like mine. All this saying doom64 is the real doom3 really is kind of wrong. Doom64 is doom64, it came out for the n64 and they could really push the doom engine so they did. And doom64 is a damn good game with creepy atmosphere that actually returns the game to the nightmare doom1 was trying to achieve, that doom2 just tore up and threw out the window. If anything doom2 needs a remake to truly make hell on earth disturbing like doom1/3/64.

And attacking me cause I have a lengthy opinion isn't fair its just downplaying someone else and painting them as a badguy simply cause they have an opinion. I play oldschool shooters and move on, I'm not gonna dwell on doom1/2 on the hardest difficulties just so I can act like doom2 has better gameplay or whatever it is all the doom2 fans are saying. For someone who plays shooters to get into them one time then move on, doom1 was obviously superior to 2.

And I also don't get the bestiary point, you got 4 new enemies, 5 if you count last boss. And 2 of the enemies are generic overrated skeletons. You guys can praise those 2 if you want I find those pile of bones boring and would take a cyberdemon over them anyday. As for the comments calling me a troll, saying I'm looking for a fight, calling me names, yea hope that makes you feel good I don't need to do that I prefer to stay on topic.

And to all the people talking about my text walls, sorry you don't have to read it. I post text walls cause I actually care about the games and these text walls are a fraction of the time I put into actually beating doom1/2/64 so like I said, you don't like the post don't read it. I find how gamers act like people are suppose to be controlled and simply agree with popular opinions to be suffocating and its literally everywhere online. I'm not calling people trolls or insulting anyone like a few posts on here. Idc who any of you are personally I'm speaking my mind on a game and you can say I'm looking for a fight all you want. No currently I'm deflecting and avoiding fights while ya'll jab me with insults, not everyone some cool posters here with legit opinions on both doom1/2, this is just my view and its not an absolute the thread asked our opinion and for me its doom1. You can reason for doom2 all you want my criticism of doom2 does not diminish doom2 as your fav doom. I liked a lot about doom2 but for me anyway just seemed like an expansion with reused doom1 assets and only 1 new gun and some new enemies that imo didn't fit.

The revenant looks ridiculous also a skeleton with a metal jacket, looked almost like an undead football player to me at first and first time I saw it I was using a brutal doom mod. I thought it was an inserted joke. But come to find out, its actually a legit monster? A goofy skeleton with a metal jacket? An then we get a magic sorcerer alien? Don't get what would of been wrong with actual new demons with brutal moves and weapons. And not magic spells ripped right outa hexen. Are you guys aware how generic an undead skeleton dude is even by that time? There were literally dozens of pc rpgs in the 80s with undead sorcerers. Doom1's enemies were totally original and frightening/intimidating. The output damage of the cyberdemon made that guy imposing and brutal and actually made you respect him as a villain. The revenant, its goofy, I unload my strongest weapons as soon as I see a revenant just to get rid of the pos. Because its a sorry uninspired generic villain.

I'm not going to take back my viewpoints or apologize or act like I'm a bad guy while people blatantly attack me personally over a game. Makes no sense and I'm not controlling my content length or what I think. I have a lot of opinions on this series and if you don't want to read it move on, no one is forcing you to and I'm not trying to break tos or piss off the admins with name labeling like a few of you have done already. Any mods here feel free to ban me, remove content, or do whatever you want. If you feel like I shouldn't be here its your forum I could care less there's other doom sites I just had this on my mind since I finished doom2, that doom1 was way better. If you wanna ban and purge new members for an opinion go right ahead I'm not calling anyone a troll or saying their looking for fights. But all the talking about it being a wendy's, or labeling me a troll, and other insults, its really odd how some people label others but get away with blatant insults themselves but that's all over the internet. Group circles where people get to attack others but someone else, from the outside, even hints at an insult purged. Backwards gamer community logic as always. I'm not here for buddies, popular opinions, or to agree with majorities and its sad that is how people are... I have a right to bash or criticize any game I want without being singled out and ridiculed. Isn't that tos breaking? What the hell did I do that was against rules other than my opinion on doom2 being a short annoying game with bogus halloween skeletons? Oh I'm terribly sorry if doom2 is a religion to you and I just attacked your family or god or something... I really don't care about your feelings. And I prefer people to be honest and bash any game they want, when it turns to personal attacks that's when rules are being broken and I could do it too, talk crap, but why I'm not coming here to break admin rules? I mean first guy on here said I was crazy and that I'd send ID personal messages, where the hell does he get that from? Because I posted my opinion on an on topic forum? That seems pretty toxic to me projecting someone has poor mental health for a game opinion not sure where that kinda projecting comes from.

9 hours ago, Kute said:

Yes. 100%. The design is tighter, and Doom 1 came first, which does matter alot for judging their places in history. 

But I think Doom improves when you get away from zombies and hallways. In truth, neither wad can hold a candle to any of the highly regarded homemade ones. Doom 2 maps are bigger, more complex, more varied, and throw more shit at you. Straight up they are more fun. I don't begrudge the Doom franchise its survival horror elements but the best parts of Doom are in the gameplay. I don't play Doom every day because it's SpOOky, I play because the games are so fun.

Today's popular wads have alot more Doom 2 DNA in them than Doom 1. Fuck what am I even saying, they all literally take place in Doom 2.

Not about it being spooky, amnesia, shadowman, clive barkers undying, darkwood, all spooky games. Doom is a visceral brutal nightmare and the fear is suppose to be about beings coming to make you suffer in violent ways you can't even imagine. Its not spooky its visceral, and doom2 turned all that doom1 established into a goofy joke.

2 hours ago, Obsidian said:

image.png

If you don't like the content move on, I find gamers who post meme reactions and one sentence or paragraph responses pretty simple.

Just now, Doom64Myfav said:

If you don't like the content move on, I find gamers who post meme reactions and one sentence or paragraph responses pretty simple.

There's a subtle difference between "one sentence/paragraph response" and "miles-long poorly edited screed that human eyeballs reflexively skip over as a self-defense mechanism honed over centuries of evolution"

I don't mind using up my daily post count on pointing out how hypocritical it is that a community gets to assault a user personally for an opinion.

10 hours ago, Kute said:

I think the literal opposite is more true - Doom 1 is praised on nostalgia, then everyone goes back to their Doom 2 wads.

Not everyone... i like (and i'm sure others do it too) to juggle between Doom 1 and Doom 2 wads, even though that system is not going to last forever, since the Doom 2 wads are much more. There are some real gems for Doom 1, and they shouldn't be overlooked, just because some people can't imagine a world without the super shotgun :D Take for example Oblivion, a 2015 episode replacement wad - that thing has fantastic levels with a classic feel to them. On of the best i've played for Doom 1, and in my opinion, much better than The Way id Did

10 hours ago, Pseudonaut said:

Doom 1 too often involves slowly grinding down bullet sponge enemies with the shotgun...

How can you say that when you have the Rocket Launcher and the Plasma Gun avaible? Doom 1 will rarely force you to fight Barons of Hell with just the shotgun. And the rare times it does, it's usually only one of them, even on UV.

2 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Everyone please drop the arguing and move on from this, it’s pointless

I expressed my opinion on doom2 in length and they are attacking me personally for it I'm not attacking anyone this will be my last response due to the daily limit, watch the insults role in.

16 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Everyone please drop the arguing and move on, it’s pointless

Agreed. This guy's not going to be taking any hints about how to express an opinion with any respect for others so trying to get him to see that is pointless.

My opinion on this is divided because, while Doom 1 seems to have some of the more neatly designed maps, it does lack the SSG which is honestly a game-changer (good grief, having to fight barons with the standard shotgun...), but it also lacks some of the more obnoxious enemies like the pain elemental. Doom 2 on the other hand does have the SSG, and a very nice expansion of the enemy roster, but some of the maps are really forgettable and come off as filler. There's this saying that I've come across in some circles and it's that Doom 2 stops being fun after MAP08. Considering what The Pit is like (lol more like the ARMPIT, because it stinks), I guess so. Also can probably be blamed on it being one continuous campaign instead of neatly separated, independently playable episodes. You have to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner all at once instead of, you know, eating them throughout the day (what the hell is this analogy I came up with?).

Anyway, I'm ranting, so I'll get to the point. This is a VERY hard decision. At the end of the day, I like both for different reasons.

1 hour ago, Doom64Myfav said:

*snip*

I don't know where you're getting the idea that people are criticizing you just because you think that Doom 1 is better. If you look at the poll results, about half of the people here think the same thing. The problem is the way you're expressing it.