Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker is a bad movie

umm well it wasnt a good movie probably the kind of movie you watch one time and forget about it or never watch it again.

i didnt watch episode 8  and  i was expecting more movies like Rogue One.

the movie was so random between scenes so fast, a collage of the action scenes and then there were some situation that made me say "really?" i mean the mini hyperspace jump to escape? oh well i felt like i was reading a story made by a bad bad fanfic. most people didnt have many reaction trough the movie and the only thing i hear from them was the laugh when they saw the little tiny robot-mechanic say "wohooooo" when they tried to get the sith message from C3P0 and when he appears again in final battle and probably some "oowww" for chewie.

honestly  i hope something like "due a space - time phenomenon the episodes 7 8 and 9 never existed" like that star wars parody in one of the simpsons episode.

4 hours ago, Doominator2 said:

I never understood the mass appeal of Star Wars. Sure there fun and exciting movies but thats it, I can think of so many other movies that are equally fun and exciting yet Star Wars is the series that gets the most recognition.

When you take into consideration that the first Star Wars was released in 1977, I personally don't see how it's hard to understand why sci-fi fans gravitated towards it. It was slick and big budget, the cast was very likable, it took lots of inspirations and ideas from other popular film before it, and the scope of it all just feels... really really huge and brimming with potential, which is why the expanded universe stuff for it pretty much exploded from the get-go.

Plus, I mean, you have space knights with magical powers duking it out with each other as space nazis try to take everything over in the background. Hopping around planets and seeing their different ecosystems and wild life and intelligent life is pretty fascinating, especially when it's all cohesive and feels like it "makes sense". It makes the whole adventure feel convincingly big.

Ultimately I think it just inspired a sense of wonder and intrigue in people, I saw it well after the fact as a child and it still enthralled me completely. Anything that creates a solid, cohesive world with the potential for expanded lore can easily attract a fanbase, plus it kinda came out at the right time when it did, making it a spectacle to watch in the late 70's/early 80's and hooking guaranteed for life fans.

I haven't personally watched any of the Disney Star Wars movies, I don't know when I'll get to them, but all the talk surrounding them has admittedly made me push them down the ladder of movies I want to see next, plus the prequels didn't inspire confidence from me in future films. I tend to agree that the expanded lore does the universe far, far more justice than the official sequels did.

Let me be that guy.

I liked Episode 9. Not in a massive way, but before I say anything more on that, I'll have to give some background (tl;dr at the end).

I always like Star Wars. The original trilogy was fun, saw it as a little kid in the 90s and very much liked it (I was into sci-fi in general). Along with that, Not much later I saw Phantom Menace and, still being a kid, I of course loved that to death (it was a big part of my childhood). AotC was alright, and I honestly was not very much into RotS when it came out. I had grown a bit in a that time and seen a lot of movies, and realised that SW films were never the pinnacle of cinema in any other way than visually. I'm sure people will disagree, but during the years after RotS when I was wondering just how much better the original trilogy was, I rewatched it. And I was pretty underwhelmed. Sure, there were the big things I liked, but in general the acting was mediocre, the dialogue was stale and there were instances when too much stuff was crammed into one film. I think that has never changed with Star Wars (George Lucas is not a very good filmmaker in general). So after that I never saw the original trilogy as being something special. Episode 4 was unique when it came out, and while the two movies after were done in a much more mature way and were better films in their own right, the first one was always that cheesy space opera. So I kinda was able to make those nostalgia glasses a bit more transparent.

Now about TFA... it had massive expectations, and what ultimately happened was a rehashing of ANH out of fear of angering the fans, which felt unimaginative and ultimately ended up angering the fans (go figure). Now I was disappointed then, but not beaten to the ground. I could see past some of that stuff, and was hopeful for the next one. It was TLJ that ultimately broke every hope I ever had for SW. The movie was so bad on so many levels, destroying so many characters and existing lore, wasting opportunities and doing absolutely dumb and redundant things on every turn. I can't say enough how much I hate that movie. So going into Episode 9, I had zero hopes for anything to redeem the trilogy. But when I went and watched it, I was satisfied. I mean zero hopes help, and there was nothing you could do to salvage what the new trilogy had started out with, so it was more about doing a decent job of finishing the clusterfuck that the entire thing was. And I think Episode 9 did just that, it took a shitty situation and did a decent job in making it into something of a coherent(citation needed) ending. It did away with a lot of that Rian Johnson bullshit and brought some visually stunning things into the mix, and I ultimately was happy that the shitstorm was ended in a way I could get at least some fun out of. It had bad parts, but like I said previously, most Star Wars episodes have those.

To echo what @Doomkid said previously, to me greatest things ever to come out of the SW franchise are the amazing video games and kick ass music. The movies gave the lore, but ultimately people who were better storytellers and could see what was so good about it made better things. The movies tried hard to keep up with, with not much success. I liked Rogue One, but I didn't like the idea of forgetting Kyle Katarn. Solo was alright, but again, somewhat underwhelming. However, KOTORs are still some of my favourite RPGs, not to mention how much I love something like Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast or Dark Forces.

And when it comes to the movies, Phantom Menace is still my favourite (minus midichlorians and Jar Jar), with it's badass characters like Qui-Gon Gym Jinn and Darth Maul, and of course podracing (I'll have to go fire up my N64 again).

------------ tl;dr ------------

As an individual movie, Ep 9 was as bad as the previous two, but I felt it did a good job of wading through that sea of crap and give us something decent. The merit of Star Wars is in the video games and music it spawned, not in the mainline movies.

Planning on going to see the new film on Christmas day, I hope it is better than TLJ as that film was a long winded bore fest really.

So my expectations are pretty low already and if it's shit, I still have Tie Fighter to play till I'm old and dead.

11 hours ago, Linguica said:

Just saw it and good lord it was terrible. It might actually be the worst out of all of them. Just a complete fiasco.

That's too bad. At least there are other movies in theaters to wash the taste out, like...Cats, I guess?

Someone should make a thread on Cats!

Due to fathering a babbling 20 month old toddler and helpful family in a galaxy far far away. Will watch it after Christmas.

The previous movie (The Last Jedi) was great, but I kinda have a feeling they have run out of ideas and were kinda forced into making it. And yes I can hear that sad horn solo playing in my mind already.

Empire Strikes Back is still the best of the 9 movies, oh those Darth Vader scenes so memorable plus the Imperial March theme. And the original Star Wars (aka A New Hope) from 1977 was legendary and inspirational in it's many ways.

Edited by pcorf

The good SW are the original trilogy (mostly ANH and ESB, ROTJ was kinda weak what with the whole "let's make the first movie again but with teddybears this time" thing), the X-Wing/TIE Fighter series, the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series, and the KOTOR series.

20 minutes ago, Gez said:

The good SW are the original trilogy (mostly ANH and ESB, ROTJ was kinda weak what with the whole "let's make the first movie again but with teddybears this time" thing), the X-Wing/TIE Fighter series, the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series, and the KOTOR series.

No love for TLJ? If you liked Dark Forces and KOTOR, you should have liked TLJ since they have similar themes of going against Jedi doctrine.

21 minutes ago, FractalBeast said:

No love for TLJ? If you liked Dark Forces and KOTOR, you should have liked TLJ since they have similar themes of going against Jedi doctrine.

I didn't bother to watch it. I saw The Phantom Menace and it was terrible, then I saw Attack of the Clones and it was also terrible, I didn't go to see any new Star Wars movie after that. I just don't care about them anymore. None of them can be as good as being Kyle Katarn, Keyan Farlander, Maarek Stele, Ace Azzameen, Revan, or Surik.

i think i'll let Eric of TweakHound (or, as i personally call it; "Eric's Law") be the judge of that

AND FOR GOD'S SAKE, IT'S #KILLFACEBOOK NOT #DELETEFACEBOOK

Edited by HavoX : typo

4 hours ago, Aurelius said:

Let me be that guy.

I liked Episode 9.

I'm also going to be the guy who likes all SW movies and series, but got bored after a while by Clone Wars :p .

I've also not played any of the games, I don't feel so inclined to play them tbh. Maybe I will at some point.

cackle laughed through that idiotic scene in Teh Force Awakens where multiple groups of bounty hunters board han's ship at the same time and haven't been to see another film in the series since. people call star wars movies science fiction and i wish it actually was science fiction but mostly its just braindead stuff happening in space. the few times they try to add something depthy or intriguing to the movies (like the political intrigue stuff in the first sequel) it gets stranded in the dialogue of the least interesting characters and quickly buried by action anyhow.

gimme more stuff like Europa Report and less like this lol

As soon as it leaves the hands of Lucas doesn't that make it a fanfiction? It was very telling when they said they would jettison all the expanded universe stuff. I feel like that's a backlog that could be referenced in so many useful ways and it just got Thanos'd out of existence. You can usually tell the difference when a name is dropped just to be cool, or when the character is actually incorporated well and their personality is integral to the plot. Hollywood keeps trying to re-envision everything and it's no wonder the end result is films that feel hollow. 

Spoiler

#TeamJarJar

WOW!! I'd heard it was not good but I didn't realise they'd completely fucked it up. I'll save full judgement until I've seen it but my expectations going in have dropped even lower. 

I'm guessing the prequel trilogy is looking really good to some folks now then eh?

1 hour ago, Eurisko said:

I'm guessing the prequel trilogy is looking really good to some folks now then eh?

It's been looking pretty good ever since it first came out for me ;) .

53 minutes ago, seed said:

It's been looking pretty good ever since it first came out for me ;) .

Me too, Episode III is still my fave of the lot.

25 minutes ago, Eurisko said:

Me too, Episode III is still my fave of the lot.

Me three ;)

Also Episode 3 is my favourite too (especially love the Obi Wan vs Anakin fight).

Find it embarrassing that The Mandalorian and Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order was somehow better than the mainline movie, this is why Disney should legally be not allowed to buy companies because this keeps on happening as a result.

3 hours ago, Eurisko said:

Oh God no, not me. I'll take a bullet to the face before I say TPM is anything but mediocre. 

Good thing i am not a Star Wars fan so i can't be dissapointed :)

But i wonder if they are going to milk more Star Wars later on when like Avatar becomes their cashcow.

5 minutes ago, SOSU said:

Good thing i am not a Star Wars fan so i can't be dissapointed :)

But i wonder if they are going to milk more Star Wars later on when like Avatar becomes their cashcow.

They will obviously reboot it for a new generation, it's just a matter of time.

11 minutes ago, seed said:

They will obviously reboot it for a new generation, it's just a matter of time.

I think Kylo Ren in The Last Jedi said "Let it die". 

But they won't. At least not until its had the same level of embarrasment as the last Predator, Alien and Terminator movies. I'll be goddamn impressed if any of those rise from the grave anytime soon. 

44 minutes ago, hybridial said:

I think Kylo Ren in The Last Jedi said "Let it die". 

But they won't. At least not until its had the same level of embarrasment as the last Predator, Alien and Terminator movies. I'll be goddamn impressed if any of those rise from the grave anytime soon. 

It won't have to.

Til an eventual reboot happens there's plenty of more SW to watch: The Mandalorian, final season of Clone Wars, an Obi-Wan series, and more.

A reboot will probably happen one day. One day, not the foreseeable future. Out of the movies you've mentioned, Alien disappointed me the most by the way, and the planned Alien 5 is no longer happening I think..

Edited by seed : Can't type today.

The Rise of Skywalker is a very bad movie. Not as bad as The Last Jedi, but still absolute tosh. Little more than a series of overlong video game cutscenes replete with supposedly charming characters bickering with each other, attempting to crack jokes and shouting exposition. Every action scene failed to carry any dramatic weight and fell completely flat. The only thing positive thing I have to say about this movie (aside from the exemplary special effects and sound editing) is that C3PO was very entertaining and likable throughout. He was the only character that was able to make me genuinely laugh. Poe Dameron is insufferable in this film, even though I really liked him in The Force Awakens. The cameos felt cheap and token. I'm glad this trilogy is over.

Edited by Ajora

Despite the bad casting choice for Adam Driver, I liked Episode 7.

Episode 8 instead was a total desaster for reasons everyone has already discussed 2 years ago.

Episode 9 was - to be honest - not as bad as I expected. Yes, bad storytelling turning Rey into a Palpatine without giving any hints in the past 2 movies. And yes, a lot of content didn’t make sense in the final movie, I totally agree with that (and as a hardcore Star Wars fan, I really found a lot of thing that I nitpicked) but on the other hand JJ really had a hard job to to, cleaning the mess of VIII, coping a dead Carrie Fisher and bringing all the strings together in the end. He didn’t to a bad job considering with what he had to deal with. There were a lot of nice nostalgic moments that brought me a good feeling.

Sure - the 3rd trilogy is even worse than the prequel trilogy, no doubt about that and the only good thingS that Disney has created so far is The Mandalorian and Rogue One. But it could have ended even worse...

Rey reviving Ben with the force power, dying. Ben reviving Rey with the force power, dying. Rey reviving Ben ... well, and living happily ever after while Rose reveals that she is Jar Jar’s daughter and the new Empress and a Jedi.

13 hours ago, ReeseJamPiece said:

Find it embarrassing that The Mandalorian and Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order was somehow better than the mainline movie, this is why Disney should legally be not allowed to buy companies because this keeps on happening as a result.

The Marvel Cinematic Universe says hi.