Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DemonCake

Worst official level?

Doom I, Unholy Cathedral, Doom II, The Factory level thing, map 12 basically.

Underhalls has multiple actors stuck in walls and is missing a few textures, so I think that has to win by default, right?

Ultimate Doom - E3M8: Dis
Underwhelming bossfight; trivial on continuous runs, tedious on pistol starts.

Doom II - MAP13: Downtown
Pretty sure everyone knows why by now.

TNT - MAP22: Habitat
I can't believe this map's author also made MAP01 of Icarus: an actually good map.

Plutonia - MAP10: Onslaught
I hardwired my muscle memory to perform the yellow key grab just to avoid most of this map.

Plutonia's MAP21: Slayer, which bears the dubious honor of being one of two non-Icon-of-Sin maps to have no difficulty balancing. As in, if you played it on HNTR or HMP, you effectively played it on UV because Milo Casali didn't care enough to balance it for anything else. It also throws tons of enemies at you from the very second you start the map, has hurtfloor blood pits with only a single radsuit on the map, and effectively doesn't give you much room to maneuver without falling into the hurtfloor pits.

I say this everytime this topic re-appears, but E3M1 Hell Keep. It was bad enough that id replaced it themselves with a new map in the Jaguar port.

58 minutes ago, ShallowB said:

Underhalls has multiple actors stuck in walls and is missing a few textures, so I think that has to win by default, right?

Whoa, really  I never noticed.  maybe because I always play on GZ Doom. 

27 minutes ago, Doom-X-Machina said:

Gate To Limbo

Absolute f**king garbage map.

Gate to limbo is not difficult, but it isn't easy.

It's not short, but it's not long.

It's not remarkable, but I remember it.

It's not rewarding, but it's not a downer.

It is nothing.

In my opinion, Spawning Vats. Drags on, is somewhat confusing, and just annoying lol.

Posted (edited)

Wormhole from Evilution

Extremely shrill music and completely pointless by design

Habitat's pointlessness seems to at least be from an oversight

Edited by yuakuru : Decided to revise after seeing ᒐack102's thread

If we're counting Final Doom, the design of TNT: Evilution's Habitat is beyond my comprehension.

I still play it from time to time just because it's that bizarre.

4 minutes ago, noisebloom said:

If we're counting Final Doom, the design of TNT: Evilution's Habitat is beyond my comprehension.

I still play it from time to time just because it's that bizarre.

This was the one I was expecting to see

Worst is definitely The Lord's Path. This is only the beginning of what is pretty much supposed to be the first part of the game. They start throwing bullshit at you left and right, zombies around every corner. You try to go inside the bridge (admittedly impressive architecture for the time) and you can't see shit because the lighting is so low. You get jumped by more zombies, and about four of these things I couldn't really see. I think they were pinkies. If you make it back up the bridge and have enough armor to deal with potential fire damage, you're locked into an area with a massive fucking demon and a bunch of zombie gunners. That's when I decided maybe I should just stick to Elder Rings.

2 hours ago, EraserheadBaby said:

Whoa, really  I never noticed.  maybe because I always play on GZ Doom. 

GZDoom fixes the HOM errors the missing textures cause, but it doesn’t reposition the stuck zombies and barrels.  You might not notice them if you go in guns blazing, but they’re still in there!

I think its hilarious u kids talking about the the spirit world. u wouldnt say this stuff to sandy at id, its jacked. not only that but it has the freshest inescapable pits, spawns the chillest archviles and hangs out with the hottest flesh textures. yall are pathetic lol

19 minutes ago, ShallowB said:

GZDoom fixes the HOM errors the missing textures cause, but it doesn’t reposition the stuck zombies and barrels.  You might not notice them if you go in guns blazing, but they’re still in there!

Just remember, even the level design Gods make mistakes.  so that make my mediocrity tolerable

22 minutes ago, ShallowB said:

Its a bit worse, the spot by the red key bars actually has an unclosed sector which is why the computer panels on the wall in there looks so off, and why it looks odd on the automap. I noticed it when I edited the map to make a better secret exit for Betray

3 hours ago, Gothic said:

The ones that were shoehorned into the Xbox port.

Speaking of Betray..im pretty sure Sewers and Betray are only considered quasi-official, as they have never been featured again, and official word from our id guy Sponge pretty much disavowed them. I'm pretty sure those maps were never even officially added, just snuck in by the programmers as things noone was meant to find unless by sheer chance.

2 hours ago, ak47fu2 said:

In my opinion, Spawning Vats. Drags on, is somewhat confusing, and just annoying lol.

Spawning Vats is one of the oldest levels in the game, surviving in some form through pretty much all the betas, and it shows. Its quite odd, and has the infamous 'dead bodies hanging from the sky itself' room. That nonsensical area was cut from the PS1 version, so every time I replay Doom, those 'new' areas surprise me all over again