Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

mouldy said:

Another thing is to use lower lighting. Its tempting to think that because there is lava it should be bright, but brightness is only created by being next to something dark, so doesn't have to be that bright to stand out if the surroundings are very gloomy. The gloom also helps to hide flatness of large areas of wall/ceiling, and in a large room having the distance obscured by low lighting helps to give a sense of scale and realism.

For what it's worth, seeing as it's a 5 Rooms of Doom project and therefore Boom-compatible, he should have access to "set floor brightness" linedef specials, with which he can make lava bright even in a dark sector.

It doesn't have to be boom compatible, in vanilla you can apply shadow casting I can't remember how though, obviously it's a more complex method but still.

Shadow Hog said:

For what it's worth, seeing as it's a 5 Rooms of Doom project and therefore Boom-compatible, he should have access to "set floor brightness" linedef specials, with which he can make lava bright even in a dark sector.

Wow didn't know about that, I'm going to be using that to death now

Simon666 said:

http://i.imgur.com/LdRXDGu.png
http://i.imgur.com/o0ORhXa.png

Boom compatible map im working on while finishing some concept for my orange and red theme level!
Using only stock textures...and there's a small error in screen 1.

They look good, they kind of remind me of some of the maps in "No Rest For The Living".

Are you perhaps planning on doing more maps in the style of your BTTF and TTE maps in the future?

Simon666 said:

Boom compatible map im working on while finishing some concept for my orange and red theme level!

Really reminds me of No Rest for the Living MAP02. (I see I'm not the only one.)

mouldy said:

Wow didn't know about that, I'm going to be using that to death now

They're my favorite thing about mapping for Boom, no joke.

Man, I'm continually amazed at all the unique mapping pouring out of here. It's great that 20 years in, there's still a lot of activity. I have a huge city map I'm working on (about 21,000 x 21,000 units), will be posting pics soon. Been having some occlusion issues due to different ceiling heights, maybe someone can offer a workaround when I get around to posting.

Avoozl said:

They look good, they kind of remind me of some of the maps in "No Rest For The Living".

Are you perhaps planning on doing more maps in the style of your BTTF and TTE maps in the future?

Yes my friend, The burning citadel is the name i'm going to use for my next map with UDMF format. It will be Zdoom compatible.
( it will be a orange/red/brown themed map with some colored sector thrown in an attempt to create some kind of "burning city" I love challenges when mapping)

Memfis said:

Maybe this is what they call overdetail... Lots of different textures meeting each other, resulting in a bit of a mess. I'm having a hard time trying to focus on anything on these pictures, it's just too much for me.

I must agree with Memfis here. Maybe try to "smoothen" it up a little.

Well!
That's genuinely one of the best examples of this sort of thing I've seen in this thread. Although is the whole cliff the same height? Is it the perspective playing tricks or is the sky actually at different heights along the cliffside?

On the right it the same height everywhere, on the left (where the trees are) there are some differences obviously.

No, it's the second level I've just finished for one of my projects. No idea how many I'll make but yeah, it's not a single map.

@ Memfis: The left side is impeccable. Great job. I had a Hell of a time getting even slight sky-height variation in my 2013 DW Megawad map, and don't even get me started on the visplane headache!

I'm not 100% sold on that sidedef, but it is nice and smooth, tiles well, and doesn't look too repetitive. The trouble is, in screenshots I overanalyze everything, but when I'm playing, if something fits then it just looks natural. So I can't really think of a better choice.

Looks a bit hmmm at first, especially the iwad+new textures combo (white SUPPORTs seem the most weird to me) but I guess that's always the case when a lot of new graphics are used. So maybe after a while you get used to everything and it starts to look very nice. Is that for Necromantic Thirst?

No its for RoD. I never think about where the textures come from, as long as I think they fit together. Thematically the map is fine, I think. Some (maybe you, Memfis) might find it a bit...too many textures maybe?

Here are the used textures:

@ darkreaver:
Who knew Doorstop and Support textures would look so good next to each other (SUPP232A) - Not I! Likewise, grass on top of mouldy brick works really well - looks like moss. Not too keen on the lights in the ceiling beams clipping into the walls, though.

Overall, these textures have a really nice richness to them. Software banding is used to full effect, but the colours definitely look 'true.' What port / special settings are you using, darkreaver? Kind of reminds me of the look of Doom Retro (the new port, that is).

schwerpunk said:

@ darkreaver:
Not too keen on the lights in the ceiling beams clipping into the walls, though.

I can fix that =) edit: fixed!

I'm not using anything special, I think? I use GLBoom (prboom fucks with me) in software mode.

More Strife. Thanks to all who commented on the last shot, I'm not spending much time here lately, so sorry for not responding personally.

Don't be fooled, these guys are dangerous! Imagine if you had a Cacodemon that shot Revenant missiles that always home, and can only barely be ran from. That's these goofy-looking things to a tee.

Ribbiks said:

if you're ever looking for playtesters...

Sure =) I just need to get my shit together and finish my WIPs. The time will come :O