Find results in...
Doomkid

What’s your Doom framerate?

?  

245 members have voted

1. 1. Framerate you use for Doom?

• Capped at 35 (vanilla)
    • 60 FPS or more

I play at 35 fps. I honestly don’t see any appreciable difference when I raise the number, nor have I experienced any issues with it set to 35.

I find the high FPS makes the game feel less exciting and slow for me, it’s quite difficult to explain really. Maybe it’s a placebo that I feel more immersed with the lower FPS, but it’s simply my preference, and at the low frame rate I have done quite well on Zandronum Classic Everyday DM server just a few days ago by winning for a few sessions against live players, and once bots were all that was left I stopped playing for the night. 

I imagine not every player was using the same configuration as myself, and these players were at around 26-28 frags each time, I just managed 30 sooner than them, the ones with real low frag counts were likely new to DM.

I don’t think higher fps necessarily makes you any better of a player nor that lower fps makes you any worse of a player, it just comes down to personal preference and likely hardware requirements at times as well. 

I was screwing around with DOSBox on my main rig and FreeDOS on a test machine, and so ran the original executables semi-seriously for the first time in probably 15+ years to see what it was like. Honestly, it was almost like playing a slideshow to me. 60fps all the way.

i want to add that i'm absolutely fine with 35 FPS. the only problem is that 35 is not a good divisor for display refresh rates anymore. so i bumped it to refresh rate (i don't care about tearing at all, vsync is just an easy way to enforce FPS cap ;-).

60 FPS and above for me. The only time i would bump it to capped 35 FPS on GZdoom is for performance issues and I want the frame rate to be stable.

I used to play 35 FPS for a long time because I'm such a retro guy, now I determined I have much more fun playing Woof™ in uncapped mode.

10 minutes ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

Seconds per frame is clearly superior

dce4rpr-3fdd58ef-770f-4d4c-9dfb-2ab552c0

GEEEEZEEEEEEEEEEEEE

24 minutes ago, Liberation said:

I've never had a preference tbh, I use multiple ports and never really considered fps, I just play.

I’m so relieved I’m not the only one. 

19 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Just got triggered by a video with over a million views by a popular YouTuber named Noodle saying that higher framerates for video games are “objectively better”.

I think he is mostly right. Some games it doesn't matter too much, like I genuinely did not care about the Nocturne remaster being at 30fps, I understand why that's the case and I don't think it impacts the game experience at all, it's a game where you move around some and do everything else in menus. But, in games where there is any real time tactile gameplay, 60fps is far more smooth and responsive. 

I play Doom at 60fps in GZDoom with vsync, because well, screen tearing is like the worst thing for me, so 35fps at least is entirely out of the question for me. And the argument about 30fps being "more cinematic" is suffice to say something I reject entirely as an irrelevant argument because you are making a videogame, not a movie. 

58 minutes ago, Liberation said:

I've never had a preference tbh, I use multiple ports and never really considered fps, I just play.

Same. I play on Zandronum and GZDoom and I never bothered changing or even remembering the FPS cap. Whatever the default for those sourceports are, that's what I play.

Strangely, regarding the argument of 60 FPS being always better than 30 FPS, I can't really comment. I never really noticed much of a difference while playing. I mean maybe 60 FPS on modern games make things feel "Smoother". IDK. I don't think I'm qualified to talk about it. Now if you want a really trippy experience, try playing Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin at 20 FPS.

At 35 FPS Doom feels choppy, it's not as choppy as 15 FPS or 10 FPS or 1 FPS, but I'd rather have smoother experience. Thankfully, game's logic\speed isn't affected by framerate it's able to run at so there's no need to trade between game running smoothly and game running correctly.

1 hour ago, hybridial said:

I play Doom at 60fps in GZDoom with vsync, because well, screen tearing is like the worst thing for me, so 35fps at least is entirely out of the question for me. And the argument about 30fps being "more cinematic" is suffice to say something I reject entirely as an irrelevant argument because you are making a videogame, not a movie. 

Yes I agree here. It's an irrelevant argument in gaming, and usually a cop out for someone trying to excuse shitty programming/porting.

Funnily enough, when it comes to movies and TV, high frame rate videos did take some time for me to get used to. Even some super high frame rate TVs I have seen in shops, my brain still doesn't quite accept that they are doing what they are doing. I am sure if I had such a TV, I would soon get used to it and regard lower frame rate TVs as inferior.

With games, more frames equals a smoother, more immersive experience for me. As games have advanced and my computers have advanced, I have gotten used to higher frame rates than 30 - 35fps. I played the original Doom executables back in the day and found them fine at the time. I was around when the first ports were released, got used to their advanced resolutions and speed before leaving Doom behind around 2007ish and only periodically revisiting it but always using ports. As mentioned above, I spent a little time with the original executables recently and to me it was almost like a slideshow.

The whole point of this rambling is that I suspect most of the people who are still happy with 35fps in Doom regard it in the same way I regard high frame rate TVs in spite of me liking higher frame rates in my games. It's something you are just not used to. I would be curious to know for sure but I would guess most of the 35fps preferrers have been playing the game for a long time and primarily use either the original executables or ports that enforce the same limit, rather than transitioning actively to ports with higher frame rates as I and others have.

At the end of the day it's all good. As @Doomkid said, it's all subjective. We are extremely fortunate we have such a range of options to roll our own Doom, as it were.

EDIT: so I decided to play through the first couple of maps of Doom 2 with the original executable, then do the same in a port with a high framerate. The more I played the original, the more I found myself adjusting to the lower framerate and interpreting it more smoothly than I did for my initial experiments a week or so ago. It was still not perfect and I seemed seemed to perceive that more in the weapon animations interestingly  - perhaps cause that is the closest thing to my eye? But then when I switched to the port, it did feel much faster and smoother BUT... I started getting a bit of that feeling I get watching a high frame rate TV. Like it looks good and smooth, but my brain is just not quite accepting it anymore. So it is interesting that my perception between the two changed so quickly going from high to low and back to high.

Edited by Murdoch

240 for me.

Also, higher frame rate IS objectively better if you are talking about reaction times. With 240, I have about a 12ms advantage over anyone who plays at 60. That is like cutting down your ping by 12 in an online game for absolutely free.

I use DSDA-Doom, which is a fork of PRBoom+, capped at 480 FPS because i have a 240hz monitor, granted of course anything above 35 FPS is interpolated, but I noticed if I leave it completely uncapped then videos playing on my 2nd monitor will randomly freeze.

I can switch between 35 fps and uncapped/480 cap very easily, I have to use the 35 fps cap for co-op runs due to crispy-doom having very jerky frame interpolation when playing in multiplayer.

God damn I hate Noodle. Never thought I'd be on the polar opposite of Doomkid, though. I get Noodle's point about artistic intent in framerate choice, but him crapping his pants over people enjoying high framerate edits on YouTube made me see red. His little "high frame edits are showing up more because it's the only way to get around Content ID" counter-argument literally doesn't help his point either. High framerate interpolators aren't the enemy here.

Preferring an uncapped framerate isn't objectively better, but studies have shown if you prefer a lower framerate you are objectively a bad person (when Objective Goodness is measured (by levels of Goodium in the bloodstream))

I legit get upset when my framerate dips below 4000. Not kidding don't @ me. It's why I became a Boom-er after a long period of being a ZDoom kid. 

Once monitors go above like 120Hz refresh you can't really notice tearing which makes VSync not needed which is awesome.

2 minutes ago, DuckReconMajor said:

Once monitors go above like 120Hz refresh you can't really notice tearing which makes VSync not needed which is awesome.

I will assume that's correct, but the one practical issue with that, is depending on the needs of a game, the hardware required to reach that frame rate without dips becomes prohibitively expensive. And developers do need to consider the market. This is why I feel I think aiming for 60fps at least for now is the best compromise. So at least I do feel a developer even if they are making a AAA product should prioritise performance over fidelity with the 60fps mark being reasonable for the hardware most people are likely to have. Of course, this does not happen with a lot of games. I feel in the vast majority of those cases the developers make the wrong choice, but I will also acknowledge maybe they also understand the market and maybe that does work out better in terms of sales.

But it doesn't make for better products, I really do believe that. 

I agree. I meant with like Doom, some people play with lots of gameplay mods, which I wish i'd use more often, but I literally get annoyed when a 27-year-old game plays at less than a 4-digit-fps. 

I think high refresh monitors with G-sync or other variable refresh rate technologies is one of the best advancements in gaming hardware we've had 

lower than your refresh rate? the monitor will wait for the next frame

higher than your refresh rate? just start the new frame, you won't notice the tearing

ohh well  all the stuff about getting used to it is rlly interesting i mean i always get used to any frame rate after like a minute or so  :)  and some seem to need like , extremely much time for that i wonder how that is i mean its the same with audio for me when i get new speakers i instantly like them no matter how long i had my old ones  tbh

35 but it doesn't matter because eyes can't see anything over 24, haven't you heard? I expected you to be more knowledgable, Doomkid.

Edited by TheMagicMushroomMan : Source: blind pplz

20 minutes ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

35 but it doesn't matter because eyes can't see anything over 24, haven't you heard? I expected you to be more knowledgable, Doomkid.

oh man i hate when people say that do their eyes not work?

Vanilla framerate, for the same reason I use vanilla resolution. The art assets look much more cohesive in their original form.

Full-3d games (post Quake) are generating animation inbetweens automatically, so they look better when the framerate is scaled up, though with more primitive ones the lack of nuance in the animations becomes more pronounced.

Even with Quake 1 I think I prefer my own 'cognitive' interpolation.

On 8/3/2021 at 10:14 AM, Doomkid said:

See, that’s what ground my gears - If he had said “far more people prefer higher framerates” or something, I could dig it. But nope. He had to go and use the dreaded O word..

He even claimed he could prove it scientifically (or something to that effect) before moving on, so he doubled down on the wrongness! I guess my body not reacting with feelings of nausea to 35 fps in Doom is doing so in an “objectively incorrect” manner 😂

He's double dipping topics without realizing it. You can absolutely make that argument for modern games. For an ancient game like doom run through source ports the conversation becomes infinitely muddy with all kinds of variables and yeahbuts.

I'm assuming he's a framerate purist circa 2013 but also doesn't know much about doom and source ports.

By the way, did you know using Mandelbrot island texture mapping is o b j u h c t i v e l y the better shadowmap shape? Graf has tah know! :p

Uncapped as I use a 144HZ monitor so in a fast paced game like Doom 60fps is too low. Funny part is I typically play using Crispy Doom so the super high refresh rate with the low internal resolution makes for an interesting combination.