Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Skittle

Choosing Only 5 wads to Play Forever

1. Sunlust (Obligatory)

2. Scythe 2 ( Current best wad soundtrack of any wad I’ve played)

3. Dimensions (Extreme difficulty)

4. Deus Vult 2 Completed (A completed Deus Vult 2 as I imagine it would probably be my favorite wad ever made so far)

5. Sunder (Currently the most ambitious wad project more than halfway done)

1. Sunlust
  2. Witness of Time
  3. Valiant
  4. Ray Mohawk's Manic Monday
  5. FreeDoom Phase 1
Spoiler

With Woof as the source port ;-)

12 hours ago, D4NUK1 said:

Sunlust- i will have everything for me to go trougth the end of at least when i got to the final wad hopefully my SOS Signal made by cocos would be effective.

If I heard that you UV-Maxed God Machine, I'll personally arrive on a choppa to pick you up from the island.

I'd pick 5 highly-acclaimed WADs that I haven't played yet, there's a metric ton of those.. There's not enough hours in a day to be a modder and player, I swear..

Anyway, I'd pick 4 renowned wads that have pretty middling difficulty, but maybe toss in one "quite a fair bit harder than Plutonia" wad just to have that tough-but-fun goal to work towards.

On 1/14/2022 at 9:23 AM, sussin said:

TL;DR, you're on a desert island, what are the 5 WADs you pick to keep you occupied until help arrives?

I like how you meant that help will never arrive ;)

Well, I think it would be Full Playstation Doom TC with The Lost Levels (so that means it's over 120 levels), and... and I think there are not much WADs with random generation of situations on the same maps, don't you think? This might be an idea to create some (actually, I do have a project with non-linear walkthrough (ha-ha, said author of Linear Doom)).

But if not taking your question too seriously, so:

1) PSX Doom TC with all map packs inside

2) Alien Vendetta

3) Doom Tribute (which is a remake of both numeric Doom IWADS)

4) The Ultimate Torment & Torture

5) Wolfenstein: Blade of Agony

DTWid

D2TWid

Endgame

Scythe 2

Icarus Alien Vanguard

The choices are hard to make!

Umm I'll choose another 5:

BTSX 1 and 2

Lost Civilization

Going Down (down down down down)

AV

But the choices are still hard to make!

Not counting Total conversions or gameplay mods

Eviternity

50 monsters

Lost civilization

Zone 400

Compendium (Just the quantity of maps would make this the top choice.)

If I couldn't choose compendium, I would choose either Mapwich 2, Akaldama, Whispers of Satan, 1K community project 3, or Ozonia.

Hard to pick just five, but I will try;

1) Speed of Doom - Darkwave’s maps in this are probably in the timeless category (Especially maps 06, 14 and 31).

2) Kama Sutra - This one epitomises the variety that you experience in the doom more than any other wad. Tonnes of doomcute, some of the best vanilla maps ever made (Eg Map18), it can get very hard and at times very goofy.

3) Going Down - The Wad’s personality is like no other. Sinister, humorous and chaotic.

4) Valiant - Still in my opinion the pinnacle of the modern mapping generation. The changes in this all feel like a positive to create something that is fresh but still feels familiar to classic scene.

5) Nova 2 - personally this pick is more down to the fact that I was involved in the development cycle (2 maps + 1 collab) than anything else. A have a lot of time for many who contributed to this and I can safely say this is the one project I can look back fondly on for being both a solid megawad and one that actually developed pretty swiftly with a solid core team who were a joy to work with. Sometimes it is nice to have that little bit of personal nostalgia.

Ones that narrowly missed out were Sunlust (Too hard for me though I fully appreciate the quality), Scythe 2 (Valiant/Speed of Doom effectively sub in for this, it is probably the forerunner of modern mapping standards) and Eviternity. I would add that like similar threads I have restricted myself to fully megawads for this opinion piece.

On 1/14/2022 at 10:20 AM, KillPixel said:

Alien Vendetta
Hellbound

Plutonia 2
No Rest for the Living
Whispers of Satan

How do I get "No Rest For The Living"?

1 hour ago, Korozive said:

I’ve been meaning to ask this as well. Is it as simple as buying the BFG edition or the Unity Port and simply copying the wad file somewhere and start it up using Doom 2 as an IWAD? (Implying here that I’d like to use DSDA-Doom to actually play it).

1 hour ago, Korozive said:

I acquired it practically the day it was released and don't remember how since that was 12 years ago... I think it ships with Doom3 BFG, should be able to grab the wad there.

1 hour ago, KillPixel said:

I acquired it practically the day it was released and don't remember how since that was 12 years ago... I think it ships with Doom3 BFG, should be able to grab the wad there.

Found it, lol , had it all along in my DOOM3 BFG folder in Steam. The wad is called nerve in the folder.

I'd choose 5 extremely hard WADS, I have not played yet. If I had the rest of my life beating them it'd better require my time.

But overall, I dunno, I'm not really knowledgeable about hard wads, I'm still learning. I've heard Chillax/Chillax2/Tarachillax is a good selection but Tarakannik I/II/III also seems interesting. I also want to beat Okuplok's Map, but that's just my pet peeve, I'd say it's just long but not hard. (In this comparison at least.)

No End In Sight - for obvious reasons, heh.

Lost Civilization - non-linear progression, dynamic combat and a truly immersive atmosphere make this a world I wish to return to again and again. Only wads like Abandon and Sunder inspire a similar degree of awe in me, and this one has the advantage of being actually playable for the average Doomer lol.

Ancient Aliens - my personal favourite skillsaw wad, aesthetically brilliant and endlessly enjoyable from a mechanical perspective, I wouldn't want to be without it. Cheesy space opera is my trash, and this wad truly delivers on that front.

Tarnsman's Projectile Hell - mechanically and thematically varied, and with some of the best combat this side of Valiant, this one has enough thrills and spills to last an age. Additionally, the set's shockingly difficult UV rewards map-knowledge, encouraging repeat playthroughs.

Sunlust - I wouldn't want to be left without something to aspire to in this scenario, and of all the 'hard' wads out there, this one seems the most to my taste. Plus, what little of it I have played has been exquisite in terms of atmosphere, and rock-solid in terms of encounter design.

Here’s my 5 wads to take onto a treasure island. 
1) Sonic.wad for Doom2 (2004) excellent !

2) 007ltsd.wad for Ultimate Doom (2004). Excellent wad with puzzles to complete. 
3) Houses14.wad For Doom2. 10 levels comprised of author’s houses. Released in 1995. 
4) Schoold2.wad For Doom2. Top game play in a school. Excellent music! (1996). 
5) Hsfc.wad for Doom2 - another excellent wad set in a college. Great music, graphics and challenge. 

For me:

1. Akeldama

2. Eviternity

3. Scythe 2

4. Valiant

5. Jenesis

Honorable mentions:

Alien Vendetta

Auger Zenith

BTSX 1 and 2

Interception I & II

Moonblood

No End in Sight

Ozonia

Resurgence

SIGIL

TNT: Revilution

Zone 400

Tough question...

Eternal Doom for sure, it almost feels like taking forever to max out.

Add the Return from Oblivion, too, for same reasons.

Stronghold: On the Edge of Chaos sure would take a lot of time, too.

Then there are those more RPG-esque WADs like Inquisitor, and some others which name I forgot. I want one of those, too.

And Vela Pax, just to make it as long as virtually possible.

The thing is...I'd get bored by a lot of WADs very quickly so such a careful selection is important for this question.

1. Equinox

2. Scythe

3. Scythe II

4. Going Down

5. A tossup between Sunlust, Plutonia 2 or TNT 2

Actually a pretty easy list to compile because these are mostly the only wads I ever play anyway