Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Liberation

1000 Lines 3: Community Project - V1.0 Released

Congrats on the release. Glad to see the series keep going, always a joy to play.

40 minutes ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

Out of curiosity, how are ambient sounds done in Vanilla Doom? 

I'm not an expert mapper or vanilla connoisseur, but I think one way to get them is using the A Fistful of Doom method, tho, this works more on music than concrete ambient sounds:

The wad also managed to achieve dynamic music based on proximity, by burying an imp underground and replacing its idle sound effect with a music track.

Maybe it can be done the like that?

5 minutes ago, Endless said:

Congrats on the release. Glad to see the series keep going, always a joy to play.

I'm not an expert mapper or vanilla connoisseur, but I think one way to get them is using the A Fistful of Doom method, tho, this works more on music than concrete ambient sounds:

Maybe it can be done the like that?

Fascinating. I'd like to talk to one of the mappers, just to be sure. But that does seem probable. You'd just need to have crushers or something that can kill them near the end of the level. Self referencing sectors used as crushers would kill them almost instantly, and would be vanilla friendly. Sorry if this seems weird to nerd out on, but it's a really interesting subject to me.

17 minutes ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

Fascinating. I'd like to talk to one of the mappers, just to be sure. But that does seem probable. You'd just need to have crushers or something that can kill them near the end of the level. Self referencing sectors used as crushers would kill them almost instantly, and would be vanilla friendly. Sorry if this seems weird to nerd out on, but it's a really interesting subject to me.

@Aurelius is the wizard behind all the Dehacked magic in this mapset (and it really is magic, there's so much new stuff that I have no idea how it's vanilla compatible). He's best placed to explain exactly the states and frames he pulled in for the ambient sounds.

Congratulations! I had quick test through a couple of maps and this looks really cool, will play it more properly when I have more time.

I did notice a couple of irregularities under GZDoom, probably because of the included ZMAPINFO. There are no clusters defined there, so the intermission text between "episodes" doesn't display (it'll probably run fine in other ports since it's there in the DEHACKED lump). Also, MAP33 and MAP34 play no music. Boom and other ports by default play D_READ_M on MAP33 and I think D_DM2INT on MAP34, but for it to work in GZDoom you have to define the lumps (or any others you want) in the map definitions.

This is so good. Soooooo good. Everyone should drop whatever they are doing and play this now.

I absolutely cannot believe MAP02 is 1000 lines. No freakin' way.

Wish i was active in the vanilla mapping scene earlier to contribute to this. But hey. *Shrug*

Can't wait to give this mapset spin. Congrats

So...I did a quick play of 5 maps, both vanilla and modded.

The first episode is a funny fusion of a simplified Eviternity and Duke Nukem, which I liked it a lot. The weirdest and expected moment happened in the modded play. I used Russian Overkill for fun and, both imp and cacodemon shoot a projectile that disappear the further it goes. And mancubus' projectiles are literal transparent pieces of rock...

So yeah, expect weird shit if you want to play with mods, especially with mods that replace assets.

Also, the secrets on the first map are quite hard to find if the player doesn't have a good eye ;)

I'll continue to play the rest the next days until it's done.

5 hours ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

Out of curiosity, how are ambient sounds done in Vanilla Doom? 

In vanilla dehacked, you can use either A_Pain or A_Scream to let the actor play its designated pain sound or death sound. Just pick one frame with a code pointer, give it A_Pain, set the pain sound with the sound effect you want from things property, set the duration of the frame identical to the length of sound effect, and loop the frame. The sound effect actor only needs its spawn state with the one code pointer frame I mentioned above, and nothing special is needed.

6 hours ago, brick said:

Congratulations! I had quick test through a couple of maps and this looks really cool, will play it more properly when I have more time.

I did notice a couple of irregularities under GZDoom, probably because of the included ZMAPINFO. There are no clusters defined there, so the intermission text between "episodes" doesn't display (it'll probably run fine in other ports since it's there in the DEHACKED lump). Also, MAP33 and MAP34 play no music. Boom and other ports by default play D_READ_M on MAP33 and I think D_DM2INT on MAP34, but for it to work in GZDoom you have to define the lumps (or any others you want) in the map definitions.

Ah, zmapinfo was a last minute thing, as originally I didn't think it was needed, then realised that the default map settings didn't work without defined maps. That will be hotfixed next week, along with anything else people find.

And yes folks, I would be mindful playing this with mods. It's pretty heavily modified already :-)

Thanks for the great WAD!

I've made UMAPINFO with episode selection:

doom00.png.0c9da63df5c2657ba9c992a06823d615.png

Tested on DSDA-Doom, Woof! and GZDoom. Not sure how map33 and map34 are supposed to work.

Download: 1k3_um.zip

11 minutes ago, rfomin said:

Tested on DSDA-Doom, Woof! and GZDoom. Not sure how map33 and map34 are supposed to work.

Idclev 

3 hours ago, rfomin said:

Hey! Nice job, this is one of the things I was going to add in prior to the idgames release.

I had an awesome time with this wad, great job to everyone involved!  I noticed there were a few monster closets that didn't work but aside from that, I didn't have any issues.  The maps were visually appealing despite the line limit, quick paced and fun to play.  The new midis were great as well.  Thank you for making this!

The dehacked changes for quicker weapon switching is also something I wish I could have more often since it just encourages faster play in general.

Hello @AD_79, here's a FDA on your map (better late than never ;))
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nm6746tud3813fb/1k3v1RC1aMap17-fda-2558-wh.zip?dl=1

Recorded with DSDA-Doom -complevel 2, Ultra-Violence, on version RC1a.

Awesome map, heavily focused on verticality (and mild platforming). I'd say this is a modern take on the "Living End" school of design, i.e. a large underground cave with combat taking place on high ledges and relatively thin passageways, with the everlasting risk of falling down into toxic sludge. I'm quite fond of this style.
Here, what I didn't realize at first during my playthrough was that the pits are, unlike those in Romero's antique masterpiece, inescapable... That's pretty sadistic, but I like it :)
For a map being placed this late into the wad, having some degree of hazardous progression is fine. Actually, these slime pits are as dangerous as the monsters themselves. At some point, you come across a secret giving you a Megaarmor (IIRC), and since there didn't seem to be teleporters in the slime and I didn't feel confident enough in my ability to perform the jump required to reach the secret, I ended up leaving it behind. Didn't cost me at all, fortunately.

Not a lot of monsters to be found here, but they're used in an effective way. You have mid-tier snipers and various airborne demons putting pressure on the player, while ground-bound creatures make up for most of the enemy troops. I played very carefully, since I was expecting nasty ambushes involving Revenants at every corner, haha.
Ammo resources weren't plentiful, I felt, even when exploiting infights. You have to rely on the Berserk pack whenever possible, and that accentuates the precariousness of the gameplay. Still, I had a lot of fun and that was a memorable experience :)

Packing an excellent soundtrack in "Where Time Ceases to Be", a unique visual theme thanks to extra textures, a well-thought layout and solid gameplay all around, this is IMHO your best map in the whole 1kLine trilogy, and maybe my favorite map from you so far (?). Great work !

(As an added note, your map doesn't have DM starts, nor extra Multiplayer content.)

On 11/4/2021 at 2:53 AM, leodoom85 said:

So yeah, expect weird shit if you want to play with mods, especially with mods that replace assets.

Super weird shit, lol. I played with Walpurgis and Imps explode for about 100 damage when stabbed in melee, killing my poor Druid several times. XD

14 hours ago, NuMetalManiak said:

MAP19, sector 216 (tag 10) doesn't have a teleport landing (three spectres don't teleport in).

Will be fixed for the next RC, just the usual mistake where I forgot to unselect it before moving other objects and now it's outside the map lol

Just finished playing through this (Did it in one sitting, took about 9 1/2 hours). Very fun experience. There is such a huge jump in difficulty between HMP and UV difficulty.

Tried it out both vanilla and with mods. Most of the mods I chose intergraded well with the map pack with only a few conflicts. 

I did find one bug in map 08. There is a secret blue armor behind a pipe, however, if you move too slow and fall into the sector with the pipe, you are unable to escape. 

Screenshot_Doom_20211106_100939.png

Screenshot_Doom_20211106_100959.png

On 11/5/2021 at 3:27 AM, WH-Wilou84 said:

Hello @AD_79, here's a FDA on your map (better late than never ;))

Glad to hear you enjoyed it! I'm pretty pleased with the reception of this project so far. We put a fair bit of work in, heh.

As an aside, I've uploaded my musical contributions to Bandcamp.

On 11/6/2021 at 2:32 PM, RomDump said:

There is such a huge jump in difficulty between HMP and UV difficulty.

This is by design, ever since the first 1k I've always said to mappers, "do what you want for UV, but HNTR and HMP must be accessible to the average Doomer". I think 1k3 has actually hit the balance pretty well, although some tweaking is required still.

UV is supposed to be hard and I wanted to cater to all players. So I'd rather top tier players could have fun with this set and the average Doomer can just play HMP and the more causal player could play HNTR.

Thanks for all the bug reports folks, please keep them coming :-)

Played through on Hurt Me Plenty, pistol start in DSDA-Doom. What can I say, beat it in 1 sitting and had a blast doing it. It helped that maps generally took 5 minutes or less to complete, which scratched my constant itch for short maps with punchy combat and calculated encounter scenarios. Bravo, honestly, even my least favorite maps were at least fun. 

Shout outs to these maps in particular:

Map08: Concrete Avalanche by Scotty

Map11: In Kasei Valles by Aurelius

Map12: Forlorn Hope by Liberation

Map18: A Farewell to the Dark Ages by antares031

Map27: Nightfall by DMPhobos

Map28: Tropical warfare by Guardsoul

Map30: False Deity by Aurelius

On another note, the soundtrack is filled with absolute bangers. Map29's track may be my favorite, but I'll have to listen through again.

https://youtu.be/nY6PxRomtpo = part 1. (maps 1-14)

https://youtu.be/pAk7NQtjrzM = part 2. (maps 15-20 plus 31/32)

https://youtu.be/aHUxUvPb-3g = part 3. (maps 21-30 plus 33/34)

This was the best one yet. I really liked the episode themes, particularly the first one for some reason. Music was good throughout also.

My favourite map was Dragonfly's. I only had grievances with the difficulty punch of map 11's opening, and the usage of the two Archviles at the end of map 20; everything else was at least decent, if not good.

(that being said, fuck you Roofi for making that secret godsphere pretty much mandatory for map 32 on UV, and even then being an absolute pain to deal with!)

Also massive massive props to NOT having an Icon of Sin on map 30, but instead a more creative finale. I wish more mapsets would follow this example by Aurelius, honestly.

1k Lines 4 when?

I have completed the wad, and I really loved it. Sometimes it is hard to believe that these are vanilla-compatible map. This and Heartland are easily the 2 favorite wads of this year for me.

I do agree with Suitepee about map11 and map20. Map11 is a sudden spike in difficulty compared to the maps before it. A bit more rocket ammo near the start and a bit more cell ammo later on in the SMM fight area should do it. Similarly, the 2 archviles at the end of map20 make that fight very luck/rng dependant due to being almost no cover there. Could do with 1 less archvile on UV (on HMP, the fight is quite a lot easier due to no archies there as well as less hell knights there).