Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Have you modded outside of Doom? Let's talk about it.

Actually, I've also been contemplating the idea of modding for Binding of Isaac, now that official modding tools were released. Although it requires knowledge of LUA, and aside from not being a programer, the few times I tried to dissect something in C/C++, I've never messed with anything even remotely close to LUA.

Retranslated a Sega Genesis game because the original game was missing some details, like the fact the villain is your sister.

And you might count removing copy protection for some old DOS games, but I'm way too paranoid to give out their names. What if EA or Nintendo or some other lawyer-happy company has the rights for them or something, you know.

And someday I might finish this, but don't count on it:

But yeah, more generic modding? Usually too limiting for me to make what I want, other than Bethesda games. But that's a whole new can of worms if you want to make something script-heavy.

I mostly make private mods for me and friends in games like Worms World Party (where I made a poorly compressed Nick Cage Soundbank I scrapped and various othe joke mods).

I make NPC battles to watch in Fallout tactics, they are fun.

I used to map for Goldsource Half-Life but I honestly couldn't stomach VHE 1.6, I used to map for Duke 3D but Build can eat a dick.

And I'd like to mod Marathon but have no idea how on Windows XP (can you even?)

39 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

Sorry for the double-post but, do you still play? I've not played in a long time but I still have my CD around somewhere. Whenever I played online I got my ass handed to me though, would be fun to play with someone who isn't seemingly god-tier, heh.

Sorry, I no longer take part on the multiplayer side of things; I map for single player now.  I even made some custom terrain graphics as well.

Did some modding for something called Unitale (yes, it has to do with Undertale) and nowdays I'm modding The Binding of Isaac. Decent fun.

I've only ever done modding for id Tech 1 games, and only on a very basic level. The reason I joined this message board was so that I could learn more about tweaking and modifying id Tech 1 games to my personal preferences. At some point down the road when I have the time I'd love to make my own maps for Wolfenstein 3D and id Tech 1 games. Can't think of anything else that I'd want to create custom content for, but who knows. 

Edited by Ajora

23 minutes ago, Impboy4 said:

Sorry, I no longer take part on the multiplayer side of things; I map for single player now.  I even made some custom terrain graphics as well.

That's fair enough. I'll have to try your scenarios out some time! :)

Here's my ugly UE Blood E1M1 Remake, one of my earliest experiments with UE, needs better textures

Sans_titre.png

On 6/3/2017 at 8:38 PM, kristus said:

Klik 'n Play

I used to have that! When I was a kid I really wanted to get into game design, so I saved my money and bought Klik 'n Play thinking that it would be this all-encompassing game maker. It was pretty limited, but I still played around with it and make a few silly platformers.

I've also made Commander Keen and Duke Nukem levels which I plan to release some day. As for FPS games, I made some Q3A maps, purely for my own enjoyment as they were pretty simple. I'd bang around in them with friends sometimes but never released them. I started doing some work with Doom3 but I never finished an entire map.

A few years ago I was helping out Carnevil with Wrack (it was under a different working name at the time).  Basically I was doing some mapping, and it was the first time I had done 3D mapping before.  Figuring out the editor and just wrapping my head around the 3D space was quite the learning experience; Doom mapping only carries over so far because there's a lot more you have to be aware of in a true 3D space.

I have a few in-editor screenshots of the unfinished maps I worked on.  I don't think Carn would mind if I posted a few of them.  Also I didn't bother with retexturing them when I took these (they used temporary resources from another game at the time, and those weren't available), so it's hard to make out the architectures in the sea of checkerboard :P

TGppZzdm.pngbHLNbGVm.png

FdnHdKom.pngE0EblY2m.png

X1GpiP8m.png

I actually had a ton of fun working on these, even though they probably won't ever see the light of day.  But it did make me want to try out mapping for Quake and maybe other games.  I haven't had the right opportunity to try it out yet, but maybe one day I will.

"Jetpack" and "The Incredible Machine" were the first games I've ever been making levels for, as a kid and just for myself / never published or even shown to anyone, that is.

I've been recently interested in playing and making levels for a game called Robozzle. The website seems to be in a state of slow deterioration, but the database of levels, level editor and scoreboard still work, and a few tens of users are still active. The game is a puzzle "programming game", where you compose a "program" out of picture blocks, and executing the program then navigates a robot around a 2D map of colored square tiles. The commands available to be used in the program allow to move the robot forward, turn it left or right, call functions, choose a command depending on the color of a tile that the robot is currently standing on, and repaint the tile that the robot is currently standing on to a different color. The goal is to make the robot 1) avoid black tiles and 2) collect all stars in a level. Mapper can restrict the number of functions / blocks / types of commands that a player can use to solve his level, which allows making hard / tricky / interesting levels. Here is a picture of one of my levels. Here is another.

Modding 3D games is something I've briefly tried once or twice and it proved to be way too hard and uncomfortable for me.

Edited by scifista42

Way back on the Commodore 64 I made Jumpman levels.  When I finally got a pc I tried my hand at SSI's Adventures Unlimited (? not sure of the name at this point)  where you could make your own D & D adventures.   I made a level or two for this awful hacking game called Level 7 or something.

I had half of a Quake 1 level built before I lost it to a bad surge protector.  Tried my hand at Quake 2 editing, but was never satisfied (also I couldn't do without a computer for that long while it compiled).   Tried editing Thief using Komag's tutorial and quit when testing the thing the player fell through the map; which is a shame as I really would enjoy making and playing my own Thief levels...  I've made Lode Runner levels for the PlayStation, somewhere in the house is the disk.   I've tried my hand at the JRPG editor for the PlayStation, also several 3d game engines for the pc.    Currently thinking of buying the A8 engine but for what I want to do, GZdoom is probably all I'll ever need.

I made a map for Cube 2:

de1m1.jpg

I tried mapping for Quake, but I found it difficult.

Edited by Angry Saint

8 hours ago, mrthejoshmon said:

I used to map for Goldsource Half-Life but I honestly couldn't stomach VHE 1.6, I used to map for Duke 3D but Build can eat a dick.

I found build very very difficult to get into, but once mastered I found it really useful as long as you remembered what hitags did what action etc.. I liked that it was the sector in charge of the sectors action rather than the linedef led doom engine.  This meant that one switch could genuinely create many different sector actions.

Trenchbroom, sounds good.  How long are compile times on fair sized quake maps these days? Please say it's less than 'overnight' - I'd like to think that processing power has come on sufficiently enough to speed this up a bit

uhh, yeah, i've modded a little bit.

i made a baron of hell, hell knight, and imp for dwarf fortress, i've screwed around with the files of hearts of iron 4, and i'm planning to get started with TBOI modding

Edited by roadworx

Snakes'n Ladders (board game). In 1976 (I was 5) I was getting bored with the same old layout of the positioning of the titular snakes & ladders "teleporters" of my favorite board game at the time, so I'd draw up new box-patterns and layouts on blank sheets of paper and play them (mostly, with my mom). In other words, me mommy was my first play-tester...

Lode Runner (C64). The game came with an editor, allowing you to create your own levels. Played around with it in 1984, but it wasn't my favorite game, so only a few half-hearted efforts came out of it. Still, my first computer game-modding happened in this title. I didn't own a Commodore 64 at the time, so everything happened a few evenings in a friend's livingroom.

Spelunker (C64). A friend of mine hacked the C64 game Spelunker and made an editor for it, back in 1985. Was my first in-depth mod experience, and I totally fell in love with the process, spending long evenings editing. Made "The Bridges" - a huge sprawling (and I dare say quite original) map, but in a tempertantrum my little brother (4 years old at the time) tore up the 5¼ inch containing the map files, ending my Spelunker editing career.

Racing Destruction Kit (C64). Made some cool tracks for this title, mostly just to play around with maximising the possible physics.

Boulder Dash IV (C64). A few hard-as-nails maps came out of mod'ing for this title, which was a whole lot of fun to work & play with.

Dungeons & Dragons. Drawing out pencil & paper dungeons to create challenges in my D&D campaign was my first run-in with top-down room designs, though the process had a lot in common with my early Snakes & Ladders efforts.

Dungeon Master (Amiga). Around 1990 an uffoicial "editor" was released for this favorite game of mine, and I was expecting full level editing ability when purchasing it. However, on install it became apparent that you could only swap the location of items over the original maps. Doh! Totally left me with an appetite to edit levels in 3D though...

Starcraft(PC). Working with engines Doom, Build, Quake and MMO proprietaries I had my head too deep into the editors to actually play Starcraft when it came out. I picked up the game in 2011 and was happy to find an excellent editor for it. Had a lot of fun making a few maps.

Quake 4(PC). Made a deathmatch map for this back in 2006.

19 hours ago, Mechadon said:

Figuring out the editor and just wrapping my head around the 3D space was quite the learning experience; Doom mapping only carries over so far because there's a lot more you have to be aware of in a true 3D space.

This kept me from doing maps for Quake, Unreal, and even Descent, for a long time.  I was just so used to Doom's 2.5D approach that moving over to true 3D felt clunky.  I think I'm passed that mental roadblock now, though.

I started my level designer days in Duke Nukem 3D and Build. Me and a couple of friends had a great time making our own MP maps to play in.

I also once started a Diablo 2 mod for Titan Quest. But that never got very far. The Editor for it was a blast to use though.

I put my hands everywhere when I get ahold of a game that isn't a pain in the ass to mod / hack, even if I don't get anywhere with it. Even if it doesn't go much further than mucking with the level editor. SMW, TF2, WC3, Zelda Classic, various Elder Scrolls games, Civ games just to name a few, hell I feel a lot more active in DOTA 2 modding than I do with Doom modding lately.

Great stories, folks. The modding scene is an interesting one. Just now I had a dream about Green Hill Zone that's making me crave a Sonic version of Mario Maker.

On 6/5/2017 at 4:50 AM, dt_ said:

I found build very very difficult to get into, but once mastered I found it really useful as long as you remembered what hitags did what action etc.. I liked that it was the sector in charge of the sectors action rather than the linedef led doom engine.  This meant that one switch could genuinely create many different sector actions.

Trenchbroom, sounds good.  How long are compile times on fair sized quake maps these days? Please say it's less than 'overnight' - I'd like to think that processing power has come on sufficiently enough to speed this up a bit

Fairly quick if you have multiple cores.

On 6/4/2017 at 4:54 PM, Da Werecat said:

I made a few simple Quake models. Mostly prettier remakes of the existing weapons.

Then there was a Marathon Apotheosis map a few years ago.

A Marathon remake in Quake would be epic.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Here is a list of the mods I've made so far for Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

http://www.nexusmods.com/metalgearsolidvtpp/mods/447/? Camouflage Index Overhaul v0.3

http://www.nexusmods.com/metalgearsolidvtpp/mods/451/? Punished Wolf soldier name replacer v0.2

http://www.nexusmods.com/metalgearsolidvtpp/mods/463/? R&D Heaven v1.02

http://www.nexusmods.com/metalgearsolidvtpp/mods/372/? Diema Custom Bionic Arm - Foliage Green

http://www.nexusmods.com/metalgearsolidvtpp/mods/371/? Hand of Jehuty Reimagined (SnakeBite conversion)

I made sound mod replacements for Jurassic Park Operation Genesis, Half-Life 1, Half-Life 2, Counter-Strike, A few Doom mods, Left 4 dead 2, A few other Half-Life 1 Engine Games, as well as experimental GMOD Dupes. Hmm.. The biggest of these i've done was a Half-life 2 Suspense replace for Left 4 dead 2, which replaced the occasional ambient music with parts of a few half-life tracks, turns out it made the game much more atmospheric. 

10 hours ago, GoatLord said:

@dt_, could you talk a bit more about the differences between Build and Doom editing?

Well, it's been a very long time since I've made a duke map, but the engine seemed to be the opposite yet the same as doom if you know what I mean- same 2 dimensional maps, with sprites etc, but with regards to triggers and dynamic map elements they were opposites.  The triggers and actions were completely sector based, using a 'touch plate' sprite (invisible in game) tagged using a 'hitag' to a sector or sectors to action, and there would be a 'sectoreffector' sprite in the sector that would have a 'lotag' that would define the sector action (the numbers were similar to the numbers set out when you select linedef action in db).  The sectors themselves could be tagged to link to one touchplate, and have different effects with a specifically tagged sectoreffector.  Lines in duke do literally nothing, other than block the player or mark the boundary of a sector.  Switches are flat sprites placed on a wall that are tagged similar to the other 'special' sprites.

there were about 7 or 8 different special sprites, can't remember the others.  Needless to say, it took a good few months of head scratching to work all the above out, I'm surprised I even

bothered looking back.  Before I worked out that bizarre sector action setup, I just made nice looking maps that had literally no moving features whatsoever